Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1 Macross

Save

Definitely looks awesome, but I have to agree he fell victim to "random glowy bits" syndrome. He painted in a lot of details that probably have no business lighting up. While some of them might be windows, I doubt there is any reason for a good number of those details to glow (especially the red circular areas.. I have no idea what those are, but I don't think they glow in the movie.. though, please feel free to correct me there)

Nice idea, but a bit overdone, I don't think there should be that many windows. I do like the glowing landing strips on the ARMDs though, it is a nice touch and I could see those lighting up for landing operations.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll finally be getting my hands on mine in the next couple of days. I pre-ordered mine, but when it shipped I had just moved. The shipping address I gave was for a friend's house, where I had been staying in between moving out of my old apartment and moving out to my new place across the state. It arrived at their house just hours after I left. I wasn't even at my new place yet, was still on the road!

But with spring break upon us, I've got some time off and I'm heading back to visit family and friends, but mostly to pick up my Macross!

Yamato Macross 1/3000 SDF-1 Assembly Kit (Web Exclusive Product) coming in May

Sorry if this has been posted before... I already have the original version of the 1/3000 SDF-1 (which is sitting atop my PC as a giant figurehead: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/lynk/macross-01.jpg ...incidentally, I named my PC, "MACROSS")

...I wish I had money to waste on this one too... but I'd rather spend it on a TV version of the SDF-1 instead.

edit: ... IF Yamato releases one.

post-6871-0-55271700-1302775053_thumb.jpg

post-6871-0-86546800-1302775066_thumb.jpg

post-6871-0-52069900-1302775073_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lynk

Well, it's been reported that the kit is going to be more affordable, but of course, it's all relative. I really don't like the fact that both this and the VF-19 are coming in May...

Nice of them to include glow-in-the-dark decals, there. :p

Yamato Macross 1/3000 SDF-1 Assembly Kit (Web Exclusive Product) coming in May

Sorry if this has been posted before... I already have the original version of the 1/3000 SDF-1 (which is sitting atop my PC as a giant figurehead: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/lynk/macross-01.jpg ...incidentally, I named my PC, "MACROSS")

...I wish I had money to waste on this one too... but I'd rather spend it on a TV version of the SDF-1 instead.

edit: ... IF Yamato releases one.

There are four PE valkyries in the set. Neat-O!! :)

My seller of Macross products from Hong Kong has contacted me to offer the new 1/3000 SDF-1 Assembly Kit. He says Yamato’s going to take orders for it through their Yamato Online Shop and as this is a web exclusive product there will be no retail sale in any other ship. The kit will be released in May and as we all know Yamato hasn’t announced it in their website yet.

The price including shipping is US$310 and I should reserve the kit by a 20% payment. Do you guys think this price is ok? Is there any other way to get it?

My seller of Macross products from Hong Kong has contacted me to offer the new 1/3000 SDF-1 Assembly Kit. He says Yamato’s going to take orders for it through their Yamato Online Shop and as this is a web exclusive product there will be no retail sale in any other ship. The kit will be released in May and as we all know Yamato hasn’t announced it in their website yet.

The price including shipping is US$310 and I should reserve the kit by a 20% payment. Do you guys think this price is ok? Is there any other way to get it?

i got my built SDF for that price at a local store. i think $310 is much too high for a model kit. but then again, if it is indeed a web-exclusive, one might convince himself it is reasonable. personally, i won't be buying if it's more than $200.

So will they be offering the PE parts or decals as an optional purchase for early-adopters who already purchased their built toy? or is everything a web-exclusive thing?

I finally got my 1/3000 Macross when I arrived in my old hometown, to the friend's whose house it was delivered to. I was disappointed that one of the antenna on the bridge was bent, but other than that it seems pretty much perfect.

Already planning to set side some time soon to do the "some assembly required" bit, but I completely forgot to bring my knife with me. I'll have to get ahold of one and other tools to properly cut the bits off the sprues.

I'll likely go back through this thread and see if anyone has mentioned anything I should be aware of before that.

BTW Radd. Can you take a few shots of your SDF-1 bridge? I'd like to see how bad that antenna is bent. :mellow:

Apologies for the poor quality. Camera phone, room with poor lighting.

bent.jpg

I am sure it will include pieces for the whole thing, since the original toy don't include the unpainted ARMDs.

Also we have a thread for the model forum:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=34885

That's nice, but just like the unbuilt, unpainted vf-1 release, this is a toy and talking about it here is just fine.

As with the VF-19kai recently, it seems that random Hong Kong blogs get the scoops on pricing details before Yamato officially announces them on their site. :wacko:

It's a bit of a problem, because I'm always a little weary of third-, fourth-hand news -- especially in this case where we don't even know for sure if this is the price for the entire kit or not.

I will however stress once again that it has been reported, most recently in Model Graphix magazine, that there will be a release of a KIT VERSION OF THE 1/3000 MACROSS and that IT WILL BE CHEAPER than the fully-built one, and also that it WILL INCLUDE DECALS, PHOTO-ETCHED PARTS, etc. However, I await for 100% full confirmation that that is what this blog is referring to in its price announcement. I would say the likelihood is extremely high, though.

As for the possibility of just a set of PE parts, decals and extra "damaged" main guns without the main body, yeah, I heard rumours and whisperings but who knows for sure. Except Yamato, and its their secrecy that is the problem.

If this does turn out to be the real price, well, as I mentioned before, I dunno about you guys, but I'm probably just going to be buying this kit-version instead of the pre-built one. It's not as if the pre-built one had many paint-applications anyway. ^_^

EDIT -- I suddenly find myself more excited for this than the Fire Valk. :o:p

Edited by Renato

That's nice, but just like the unbuilt, unpainted vf-1 release, this is a toy and talking about it here is just fine.

I will however stress once again that it has been reported, most recently in Model Graphix magazine, that there will be a release of a KIT VERSION OF THE 1/3000 MACROSS and that IT WILL BE CHEAPER than the fully-built one, and also that it WILL INCLUDE DECALS, PHOTO-ETCHED PARTS, etc. However, I await for 100% full confirmation that that is what this blog is referring to in its price announcement. I would say the likelihood is extremely high, though.

If this does turn out to be the real price, well, as I mentioned before, I dunno about you guys, but I'm probably just going to be buying this kit-version instead of the pre-built one. It's not as if the pre-built one had many paint-applications anyway. ^_^

now i'm confused. there are 3 versions of the 1/3000 SDF-1 ??

A) the released toy, fully built and painted

B) rumored in the blog,Y16590,unbuilt,unpainted toy in "kit" form w/ busted cannon extra parts, PE and decals ??

C) model kit w/ busted cannon extra parts, PE and decals ??

seems unlikely for both B and C versions to co-exist. also unlikely that B is actually fully built but unpainted, doesn't make sense that way.

C as a "proper" model kit seems the most unlikely since it will require quite a bit of new tooling if it is to be substantially different from B, otherwise there's no point to it.

personally, i wish they would do C as a non-transforming model kit with option to build in either configuration using new tooling ie. no screw holes, closer tolerances, sharper detail (where previously they've had to compromise for durability). but i'm probably just dreaming. when yamato said they'll release a "kit" version they were probably thinking of milking the mold and going the same route as the 1/60 VF-1S unassembled toy.

speaking of which, that kit version of the VF-1S is about 60% of the price of the finished toy. if one takes that as an indication, and consider the built SDF-1 retails for Y32800 then this SDF-1 "kit" should cost about Y20k retail, and after the 15-20% from the likes of HLJ or amiami, then about Y16k. so that blog might actually be accurate.

of course i would want it cheaper, but if one considers that aircraft carrier models are about Y20k at 1/350 and about Y8k at 1/700, and that the 1/3000 SDF-1 is around the middle of those two in terms of size (SDF-1 may only be a little longer than a 1/700 carrier but much wider) and amount of plastic, it would seem to corroborate the Y16k price as well.

now i'm confused. there are 3 versions of the 1/3000 SDF-1 ??

A) the released toy, fully built and painted

B) rumored in the blog,Y16590,unbuilt,unpainted toy in "kit" form w/ busted cannon extra parts, PE and decals ??

C) model kit w/ busted cannon extra parts, PE and decals ??

A and B only, as far as I understand. Yeah, it's the same molding as the toy, only unassembled, hence the "kit" lingo.

Scenario C, a different kit made from brand new tooling/molding, has not been reported as far as I know, and is unlikely.