Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1 Macross

Save

Well...I finally broke down and picked one of these up. Anything in particular I should be aware of upon the first transformation?

Apparently installing the ARMD's is much easier than it looks.

I had one hell of a time trying to get them on. :mellow:

Well...I finally broke down and picked one of these up. Anything in particular I should be aware of upon the first transformation?

The ARMD's will install easier if you connect the elbow part through the middle of the ARMD's railing thingy, but it's still a bit of a fight. You'll want to hold on tight to both halves of the elbow joint as well.

And you might need to glue-in parts #5, they're super tiny & can pop off easily.

EDIT:

ok, so connecting the ARMD's seems to go either way. I guess it's down to finesse & technique.

Edited by UN_MARINE

Well, spent some quality time with it in between applying the greebies

Paintjob may be a little lackluster, but I wouldn't accept a 30% price hike for a weathered version, though the lack of panellining at this price is a bit disappointing

Transformation is not only accurate but wonderful, though the centre hull even when locked with the tab is still a bit loose, I also suspect in the future the torso will

drop down onto the waist/legs due to wear after enough transformations

I decided to dab all those little parts with a drop of glue since they are of the size I'll never find them again in the event they fall off/out

Ofcourse doing this before looking into the railgun fix -I already suspected they could have been mounted wrong, though all images online showed the same position-

thankfully also found out the 2 little pieces left on the sprues were not nesseccary

I can't understand why people were put off in buying because of this DIY job

They are -for the most part- screwhole covers, Yamato actually supplying them loose gives me the idea they thought ahead and with the customizers in mind

allowed it to be disassembled

all in all it took me about a little hour -taking my time- to get them all on

The ARMDS are a PITA to attach and detach, even after sanding down the ridges on the arms a little

I may end up taking off the corners to enable a kind of 'wedging in/out' to ease (dis)assembly

looking at bang/buck, I'm very satisfied with it

It is pricey, but is reflected by it's design, size, also status and not being released as a todays trend market toy, but 28 year old cartoon relic

Would yamato release a TV version in say +/- a year from now (and I'm not talking Repaint), I'll dig up the money again, Though they should take note hiking up the price may

just negate that sentiment

Apparently installing the ARMD's is much easier than it looks.

I had one hell of a time trying to get them on. :mellow:

Amen brother you weren't the only one who had a tough time getting them on. Getting one off is even tougher when you realized you got one on the wrong side of the ship, in my case happened to me cause I wasn't paying attention, which is why they should have suppliede ARMD 01 and 02 stickers.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

Finally finished putting together the SDF-1 (which BTW is not all that bad just time consuming) and I'm pretty happy with this piece. IMO it's Yamato's most solid Macross release to date, which unlike some of Yamato's other releases, as far as I can tell the SDF-1 is pretty much flawless. Only other Yamato Macross toy I own that's this solid and perfect is the VF-11. For something that could have ended up being a real disaster Yamato really pulled out all the stops on this one. What I like about this toy is it really feels like something you can manhandle without the worry of anything breaking or flopping around. Detailing and articulation are excellent as well, legs in attacker mode could have a little more range of motion for my tastes but all things considered this is a minor quibble.

My only real complaint is the price as for $350-400 you feel like your overpaying for a toy that in all honestly kinda feels like a brick. Now I know people will argue over the whole "brick" thing and in many ways calling it a brick is not doing this toy justice as it's not a brick in the same way, as let's say Star Convoy's a brick, but compared to other toys the SDF-1 is more of a display piece then other Macross toys. This is not by any means a bad thing as the SDF-1 itself was intended to be a lumbering ship in space that transformed into a robot. But it's something people have to be aware of considering the price point of this figure and is really only intended for the super-hardcore Macross fans, especially the fans of DYRL.

For the price the only thing I would have really liked to have seen included with this release was similar to what Bandai did with the Quarter and include miniature versions of various other craft from Macross such as a few VF-1's, Destroid's, and or course the Konig Monster. This IMO is the only thing that I really feel is missing as I would have loved to have some mini Destroid's and some Monsters to put on the hull in cruiser mode. While I am not the biggest fan of the Macross Quarter the one aspect of that release I really appreciated was the inclusion of those mini VF-25's and the Monster which was pretty awesome. If Yamato ever does the TV version of the SDF-1 I really hope this is something they would include, or even as a separate add-on pack.

Anyway just my 2 cents. At the end of the day I would say if your a fan of DYRL and have been waiting for a high quality SDF-1 this toy is a must, though if you meet this criteria you probably own this toy already. For those still on the fence I still think it's worth picking up, though if you haven't pulled the trigger already my advice is to probably wait for a sale of some sort. By the looks of it shops like HLJ have been getting consistent restocks of this toy so it does not look like the supply is going to dry up anytime soon despite shops having a hard time keeping it in stock initially due to the high demand. So hopefully all the fans currently on the fence can eventually get this guy for less as wile I feel it's over-priced at $350-400 I would say this toy is a no-doubter if it ever dips down to the $250-300 mark (or less).

Hello,

I haven't posted for a while, but have been keeping an eye on things.

After reading Graham's review and reading this thread, I've decided to buy my first SDF-1, and I'm happy that it will be this version as opposed to the smaller one from Wave.

Thanks to Graham and for everyone that's given their advice/input regarding this toy.

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Could not find the thread but its related

HLJ is having a sale on Mac Quarter and Monster for $100 and $112 respectively. Its Hilarious how fast these things drop in price. Hence my believe given time the SDF will drop as well. I will pick up.

Note to all Macrossworld members.

I've been practicing at speed transforming this just in case it ever becomes a contest at MWCON. ^_^

I think those are the old Chunky monkeys. Could not do that with a Modern day Bandai or Yammy. Try that with a Yammy and you risk breaking it everywhere. Id rather have a durability contest. IE throw a Yamato and Bandi Valk against the wall and see which one survives the most. My bet is on the Bandai VF-25

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh that's very ugly, he didn't even paint the city, and all the glow in the dark stuff on the body looks like random flicks of cheap glow in the dark paint. The ARMD's and launch pad look awful, it almost looks like a gawdy glow in the dark after you hold under light happy meal toy, Kye's is miles and miles better.

Ugh that's very ugly, he didn't even paint the city, and all the glow in the dark stuff on the body looks like random flicks of cheap glow in the dark paint. The ARMD's and launch pad look awful, it almost looks like a gawdy glow in the dark after you hold under light happy meal toy, Kye's is miles and miles better.

What an AZZHOLE. :rolleyes:

hater

I guess I'm a hater then, yea obviously he worked hard I'm not saying he didn't, it's just the blotches of light look like really bad glow in the dark paint. I think the sdf-1 would and does look a lot better in a traditional time-consuming repaint and wash, that bright green and orange-ish red doesn't look good at all.

Looks nice in my opinion. A good alternative of displaying this toy in the dark.

Perhaps he overdid it with the green and orange-red; overall it looks neat.

But hey, that is how it looks in the dark. Wanna see it in daylight how those tiny holes look.

I think it’s a good idea and nicely done. Are there any other alternatives to reach the same outcome? Could any other techniques have been applied to customise the toy? Very likely, as always, for this is something that depends on every person’s preferences and skills, but the current effect must be amazing once its owner turns off the room’s lights.

I think it looks pretty good. Besides how many of us would have the balls to do that to something that expensive? Kudos to him.:)

Edited by logos