Looking for instructions: Robotech Axoid/Orbot

Crash_Bandit

I've got a Robotech Changer Axoid (VF1-J) and Orbot (VF-1D) kit (1/72 scale) that I've had sitting on a shelf for a very long time. Since I'm looking at a month of free time waiting for school to start I figured that it was time to put them together, but discovered that I'm missing both instruction sheets. Oddly enough, VF1-J also included an extra bag with the weapons, metal landing gear, head, and cockpit. Since the VF-1D appears to come alternate parts to build a single seat variant, I'm thinking of building it as a second VF-1J and painting them as a Max and Millia set.

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a scan of the instructions for these or the Imai originals that would build these?

Thanks!

I could've sworn someone posted those scans recently. I definitely have some copies of those instructions, but it'll take me some time to dig them out and scan them.

Anyone else have these handy? Let's help a fella out!

By the way, those are fun kits to build. Enjoy them!

I really appreciate the effort. I dug through the main page and searched the forums for the last 2 days, but all I could find were the front and back cover of the Imai version of the instructions. Now I just need to learn all of the techniques to transform these into some works of art... Luckily there is a good hobby shop nearby with an IPMS show/contest this Sat. I'll see what I can learn there.

Thanks again!

I'll try to remember to look for those instructions this weekend.

If you need to brush up on some model building skills, then you may want to work on some inexpensive (but fairly good quality) kits before you start on the transforming valks. Glueing technique and parts alignment are very important when building the transforming kits. Too much glue will gum up the moving parts and weaken the joints. They really are not overly complicated kits, but they do require patience and care. Just like most kits. If you can follow the directions you should do fine.

I would recommend looking into some of the recent Revell reissued kits. Most of them have great fit, good detail without too much overengineering, and they are inexpensive. $15-$25 range. Most of them have raised panel lines instead of recessed, but they are pretty straightforward to build. The F-102 Delta Dart, various Tomcats and MiG 21 have all been recently reissued and are pretty cheap and easy builds. I think they just repopped a 1/72 F-111 that might look good next to your valks, but I don't know how easy that kit goes together.

Also, be sure to ask around whenever you have questions. People here and on most modeling forums I've visited are always glad to share tips that may help you out!

I've got a Robotech Changer Axoid (VF1-J) and Orbot (VF-1D) kit (1/72 scale) that I've had sitting on a shelf for a very long time. Since I'm looking at a month of free time waiting for school to start I figured that it was time to put them together, but discovered that I'm missing both instruction sheets. Oddly enough, VF1-J also included an extra bag with the weapons, metal landing gear, head, and cockpit. Since the VF-1D appears to come alternate parts to build a single seat variant, I'm thinking of building it as a second VF-1J and painting them as a Max and Millia set.

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a scan of the instructions for these or the Imai originals that would build these?

Thanks!

Ah-ha, my memory has not completely gone away with old age. Follow the below link for some scans of the Axoid instruction that I had way back when I was running the Valkyrie Factory website (some ten plus years ago). Enjoy. :D

http://www.menet.umn.edu/~ngo/axoid/

Hazzah!

Thank you for the help with this. The build will begin soon. Hopefully everything will actually stick to the parts unlike the 1/100 VF-1A that I've started with. Any part that has pressure just pops apart and the CA glue can be peeled off with my fingernail. Bugging my local shop and got some better cement that got me past that so far, but putty doesn't seem to have better luck...

Yeah, make sure you have the right cement for the plastic you are working with. Also, the plastic may have some oils left on it from the molding process. Wash the parts in some water with a little dish soap added. Then rinse and let dry. And, make sure there is no paint where you are gluing the plastic. The join has to be bare plastic to plastic for the model cement to work.

As for the putty, again, make sure you have the correct kind. Giving the area a light sanding may help the putty adhere too. It will usually take quite a while to cure as well before you can sand/paint the putty.

Keep experimenting and learning. Every mistake you make will help you do a better job on the next kit. There's a learning curve, so don't get discouraged if you have problems with the first couple of kits you build. You will learn and improve. Keep at it and have fun! Feel free to post pics as well and people can share tips that will help you.

Ah-ha, my memory has not completely gone away with old age. Follow the below link for some scans of the Axoid instruction that I had way back when I was running the Valkyrie Factory website (some ten plus years ago). Enjoy. :D

http://www.menet.umn.edu/~ngo/axoid/

Hey! Do you still have all the archived pics from Valkyrie Factory? I had some pics up there that I lost and I would love to have them again :)