Akihabara Haruhiko Mikimoto Exhibit July 8 - 12

Once again ARTJEUNESS is holding a Haruhiko Mikimoto Exhibit it starting yesterday in Akihabara. It run from July 8th to the 12th. Mikimoto will be attending on Sunday and he usually does a talk show and Q&A.

A few of us will be meeting up on Sunday for the event, if you are local please feel free to join in.

If you are located in Nagoya there will also be an exhibit held from 07/22 -07/26.

Edited by Save

Thanks to Save for the heads-up on this event, which I will entitle, "The Triumphant Return of Tochiro". Seriously, the guy is nothing if not passionate. Or at least his endurance skills are off the charts, because going to that Ranka concert the other day THE DAY HE GOT OUT OF A WEEK'S STAY IN THE HOSPITAL and today's defiance of the sheer pain in his internal organs just to see a cartoonist warrants some respect, if not applause, for God's sake.

I got back home a while ago, took a shower and now I'm relaxing with iced tea. It was quite an adventure today. Later I'm gonna see if I can install that 500 yen USB wireless thing I got, but for now I guess I'll post a little bit here, since I don't believe in "Twitface" or "Booker" or whatever.

So, Gubaba, Tochiro and I met up and entered the place at 11am. Mikimoto-sensei hadn't arrived yet. I asked if there would be an autograph session and the lady replied that only people with tickets could get stuff signed. And how would one obtain these elusive, mystical tickets? Why, you would have to splooge around, oh, say 500,000yen on some print. I asked if they did exceptions and yes, I shamelessly played the gaijin card, in particular Tochiro's sacrifice of devoting one third of his life to The Great Japanese Empire all thanks to Mikimoto-sensei. I was told that if there were any tickets left over at the end, we dregs of society may end up with a chance to be thrown a bone. So we took a look at the paintings, which were all really lovely, of course, and then left to insult Robotech for a couple of hours over at the cafe on the first floor.

After a spot of impulse Akiba shopping for superfluous junk that we simply must have so we can throw on a shelf and forget about (like Ishtar figures for 200 yen!), Adrian arrived... I think at around 3pm? I'm not sure about the time frame now, so I guess I'll let one of the other guys take over the logging from here. It really sucks that Gubaba had to leave early and couldn't meet Mikimoto, but I'm sure there will be other opportunities. Sorry, dude.

EDITED for shameful grammar.

Edited by Renato

Sounds like a great time. One of these days, we're gonna make it out there and hang with all of you, if only to do the crazy shopping all day and drinking at night. thanks for posting up the happenings of the day. With you guys in spirit, no doubt.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds good. Got pics to share? Thanks! :)

Well, it was an art exhibit and they were trying to get ppl to buy $4000 drawings so photographs were naturally prohibited. I will say that Renato, Save and myself were actually filmed while on stage talking with Mikimoto. Have no idea if that footage will ever see the light of day though.

• 3 weeks later...

No pics of the event, but while we were out walking around waiting for Mikimoto to show, Tochiro snapped some great shots of the temporary Macross Shop in the UDX building just round the corner. Here I am trying to "right the wrongs" in my own way. ;)

Thanks so much for the pics, Tochiro. Sorry I never emailed you back, I was away for a while, but I'm back in town now for a bit. I do have one more which I took with my mobile, it's of the side of the shop with the image of the VF-25 holding the Akihabara sign. I'll upload it as soon as I find it again. ^_^

EDIT -- Also, I'm attaching a portion of one of the artworks on display, from Mikimoto's own website:

post-1318-128265496466_thumb.jpg

post-1318-128265500148_thumb.jpg

post-1318-128265506238_thumb.jpg

post-1318-128265549038_thumb.jpg

Edited by Renato

No pics of the event, but while we were out walking around waiting for Mikimoto to show, Tochiro snapped some great shots of the temporary Macross Shop in the UDX building just round the corner. Here I am trying to "right the wrongs" in my own way. ;)

Thanks so much for the pics, Tochiro. Sorry I never emailed you back, I was away for a while, but I'm back in town now for a bit. I do have one more which I took with my mobile, it's of the side of the shop with the image of the VF-25 holding the Akihabara sign. I'll upload it as soon as I find it again. ^_^

EDIT -- Also, I'm attaching a portion of one of the artworks on display, from Mikimoto's own website:

My favorites are the ones with Renato holding covering Sheryl and Ranka with the DYRL poster, a howl of defiance against THE MAN shoving Frontier down our collective throat! Who knows what chaos would've ensued had he possessed a can of spray paint that day? :lol:

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that Renato is wearing one of the awesomest shirts in existence.

Edited by Gubaba

Ahahaha, so THATS where you got to Renato! I meant to get those pics up myself but it slipped my mind. Still have reports from Girasama and the Mari Iijima concert to write up yet. Eegads, so busy!

That temporary Macross shop was fun. The one and only time Ive ever seen FIREBOMBER keychains :-)