I read on twitter that the film did quite poorly on it's opening weekend. Anyone else hearing the same? It'd be a shame if such an ambitious project were to do poorly at the box office.

Exactly.

Pacific Rim, Gatchaman, and Harlock couldn't win.

AnimeNewNetwork still hasn't dealt with the news I watched this morning yet. Well, it has already posted on the Japanese news site Zakzak 2 days ago.

http://www.zakzak.co.jp/entertainment/ent-news/news/20130911/enn1309111210008-n1.htm

(Japanese)

Perfectly beaten by Miyazaki's Kaze Tachinu.

Edited by antibiotictab

A hundred books aren't worth one real trip. Go see it for yourself instead of waiting for someone else's opinion!!! :p

When a reputable book (or books) tells me a certain local is a shithole, I am going not going to make it my travel destination. Time can never be recouped, and money should be spent wisely.

Doesn't matter what it is if it's not well made.

It can be perfectly and expertly made, but the Japanese audiences just aren't going to see it.

Harlock spent a ton of money taking out a full FOUR-PAGE ad in the Asahi Shimbun newspaper a couple of weeks ago, and the focus of the hype machine was that it was a Japan-produced message to the world -- they wanted to make it clear that the world was watching and this movie was meant to cement Japan's position on the global stage not only in terms of creativity, but resources, too, hence the full-CG to rival Hollywood. Nowhere did it actually go into any detail as to what the film was about. Why? Because general audiences hit the snooze button as soon as you mention anything to do with science-fiction, or space, or fantasy. The best-selling movies in Japan all have the word "cry" or "crying" or "tears" in the title -- you have to get the female demographic into those seats somehow, and space pirates is not going to cut it. And any animated show that is neither Disney nor Ghibli doesn't stand a hope in hell, as was so tragically proven with Kadokawa's majestic failure "Momo e no Tegami (Letter to Momo)". A great, Ghibli-esque movie which opened at an unheard-of 400 screens and completely flopped.

As for Gatchaman, I haven't seen it, but I was on set and read the script, and that does just suck plain and simple. :p

Anohana the movie is a big hit for the number of theaters. In the opening 2 days, it was 1.5 times bigger hit than that of Harlock; was screened only one-9th theaters of the latter. I also went to watch it.

The best-selling movies in Japan all have the word "cry" or "crying" or "tears" in the title -- you have to get the female demographic into those seats somehow, and space pirates is not going to cut it.

Yeah, some non-Japanese have been wondering why "Armageddon" and even "Pearl Harbor" hit the chart in the past in Japan. I often have been asked about it by them. It may because it brought tears or were "touching" for the young Japanese audience, I guess. Even the western audience NEVER felt like that, the fans here were different... Even though Michael Bay's movies...
And, "the Japanese fans tend to dislike the live-action and re-make things. As if the movie companies used the popularity of the original ones so easily... So, even 2199 was not welcomed among the old fans at first. But it has brought back its fame again because they have come to think of it as a good one."
This.
If the movie maker wanted to gather the old fans, they had to respect the original ones, and should not use the name of them so easily. We never watch the remake/ live-action just because of its title. We never say "hell yeah!" just watching the title of the movie.
Both of the failed movies were not accepted among people. The bad image and the nightmare of Dragonball Evolution have been still sticking in our minds.
Moreover, the young fans of the actor/ actress appeared in those ones don't know Gatchaman and Harlock well, so only enthusiastic fans of them went to watch them. Not enough to earn the revenue...
In short, the old Harlock fans say, "I know Oguri, but who is Miura? BTW, where is Makio Inoue, the original Harlock VA? " and the young Oguri and Miura fans say, "Harlock? IDK... 35 years ago? EVEN MY PARENTS WERE CHILDREN! Too old and no popular!"
Just like this. Oh... *facepalm*

There is nothing "well made" about a confusing and inconsistent script. Bad writing is bad.

You said you didn't see the movie, so where does this info come from? The movie has some flaws but is far from incoherent, is visualy stunning and the story doesn't scream masterpiece but is waaaaaay above everything else (SF speaking) around. In Venice, the most recurrent comment after the screening (by non-anime, non-Harlock fans mind you) was "impressive". Again, go see the movie so you can share your thoughts (good or bad) on the subject : )

Edited by nexxstrait

You said you didn't see the movie, so where does this info come from? The movie has some flaws but is far from incoherent, is visualy stunning and the story doesn't scream masterpiece but is waaaaaay above everything else (SF speaking) around.

It's called google. And I'm assuming you missed the reviews coming out of Venice for Gravity.

I'll wait for the Keith review.

Edited by Duke Togo

It's called google. And I'm assuming you missed the reviews coming out of Venice for Gravity.

I'll wait for the Keith review.

Yeah, you assume well. No need for reviews as I was there. As a rule, I read reviews (or exchange comments and opinions) AFTER I've seen a movie or theatrical show. Bad habit, I know.

Anyway, now you made me curious about Keith's view on the matter. Once HE has seen the film, obviously. Cheers :p

Edited by nexxstrait

Yeah, you assume well. No need for reviews as I was there. As a rule, I read reviews (or exchange comments and opinions) AFTER I've seen a movie or theatrical show. Bad habit, I know.

Anyway, now you made me curious about Keith's view on the matter. Once HE has seen the film, obviously. Cheers :p

I think a lot of people misunderstand how I approach film, and how I use (or don't use) reviews/review scores. It's not as black and white as most here might think, and my movie collection might surprise some people (or maybe not :D).

I like Harlock. There isn't a whole lot of news coming out about this movie right now, but what I have read gives the impression that the story is less than stellar. That said, I'm playing wait and see with it.

As far as Keith goes, we may not agree with it comes to Macross, but I certainly trust him when it comes to the Leijiverse.

• 1 month later...

So they showed the Hot Toys Captain Harlock. I still need to see the new movie... but I'm not crazy about the face sculpt. It's an impressive figure, but it seems a little overpriced at $250 bucks. I'm pretty close to a pass on this one. I feel like the Medicom just looks cooler.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/captain-harlock-captain-harlock-hot-toys-902139/

902139-captain-harlock-006.jpg

902139-captain-harlock-013.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just picked up and watched the official HK bluray, since it was released with subs. This was a surprisingly good take on Harlock far better than Endless Odyssey and Harlock Saga. Mind you, the same fundamental Hatlock tale is told here, but it manages to be just different enough to be fresh.

This Harlock incarnation is a bit gruffer and impulsive than previous incarnations. He's definately a lot more flawed, or should I say fallible than he's usually portrayed. The movie in usual Matsumoto fashion centers around Daiba, this time named Yana (and subbed as Logan, likely that was the dub name, as that's also how it appears in the english credits.). The story centers around the last days of humanity, and their desperate struggle to try and return from failed space colonies to Earth, bedore dying out completely. Earth however is beijg blockaded by a holy empire that's designated it a sacred zone that must be protected from an onslaught of humans trying to over populate it.

The twjst this time is that Harlock is a cursed man who brought about the near destruction of the plamrt a hundred years before, Earth and colony fleets were fighting. Harlock had been a part of the holy Earth fleet that was using Mimay's technology to power some experimental ships. After defeating the colonies, Harlock became enraged when the Earth empire would only allow a chosen few to return to the planet, so he unleashed the alien dark matter technology planning to blockade the planet from them himself, and wound up destroying all life on the surface (Tochiro, who is placed a bit too far into the background also died during this tome.). Tgis resulted into a cursed immortality being placed on Harlock (something related to Mimay and tge dark-matter engine), and the transfermation of his Deathshadow class ship into the Arcadia.

What the story ends up being is a fight for redemption more than a fight for freedom, but it still works quite well. The ending is a tad bit nebulous with no lear reason for why the big bad Jovian Blaster stops firing (it's sonewhat implied that Jupiter's power is either limited, or just faulty and old) but the high point is an acgual passing of the Harlock moniker. Yeah, it's telegraphed a bit early, but still fun to see.

No, this isn't up to snuff with Arcadia of My Youth, but then, I don't think anyone expects it to be. What it is though, is the best Harlock we've gotten in quite a while, and easily better than the live action Yamato movie (which I also liked) though nowhere near the level of 2199. High points include the way Yatteran and Kei steal the show, in propper fashion of their characters, as well as the beautiful cg throughout. Low points include the way Tochiro is almost completely ignored, a slightly ambiguous ending, and the fact that Mimay has a moutb for sone reason!

I haven't heard a lot of talk about this film, but it's totally worth checkong out. It's not the best Harlock, but it's still some pretty damn good Harlock.

Edited by Keith

Get to it! In hindsight, I somehoe completely missed that this was an Aramaki film until I was watching it. Not sure how I managed to miss that fact until reading his credit, but oh well.

I just picked up and watched the official HK bluray, since it was released with subs. This was a surprisingly good take on Harlock far better than Endless Odyssey and Harlock Saga. Mind you, the same fundamental Hatlock tale is told here, but it manages to be just different enough to be fresh.

This Harlock incarnation is a bit gruffer and impulsive than previous incarnations. He's definately a lot more flawed, or should I say fallible than he's usually portrayed. The movie in usual Matsumoto fashion centers around Daiba, this time named Yana (and subbed as Logan, likely that was the dub name, as that's also how it appears in the english credits.). The story centers around the last days of humanity, and their desperate struggle to try and return from failed space colonies to Earth, bedore dying out completely. Earth however is beijg blockaded by a holy empire that's designated it a sacred zone that must be protected from an onslaught of humans trying to over populate it.

The twjst this time is that Harlock is a cursed man who brought about the near destruction of the plamrt a hundred years before, Earth and colony fleets were fighting. Harlock had been a part of the holy Earth fleet that was using Mimay's technology to power some experimental ships. After defeating the colonies, Harlock became enraged when the Earth empire would only allow a chosen few to return to the planet, so he unleashed the alien dark matter technology planning to blockade the planet from them himself, and wound up destroying all life on the surface (Tochiro, who is placed a bit too far into the background also died during this tome.). Tgis resulted into a cursed immortality being placed on Harlock (something related to Mimay and tge dark-matter engine), and the transfermation of his Deathshadow class ship into the Arcadia.

What the story ends up being is a fight for redemption more than a fight for freedom, but it still works quite well. The ending is a tad bit nebulous with no lear reason for why the big bad Jovian Blaster stops firing (it's sonewhat implied that Jupiter's power is either limited, or just faulty and old) but the high point is an acgual passing of the Harlock moniker. Yeah, it's telegraphed a bit early, but still fun to see.

No, this isn't up to snuff with Arcadia of My Youth, but then, I don't think anyone expects it to be. What it is though, is the best Harlock we've gotten in quite a while, and easily better than the live action Yamato movie (which I also liked) though nowhere near the level of 2199. High points include the way Yatteran and Kei steal the show, in propper fashion of their characters, as well as the beautiful cg throughout. Low points include the way Tochiro is almost completely ignored, a slightly ambiguous ending, and the fact that Mimay has a moutb for sone reason!

I haven't heard a lot of talk about this film, but it's totally worth checkong out. It's not the best Harlock, but it's still some pretty damn good Harlock.

That plot actually sounds pretty disappointing.

Not to sure how i feel about Harlock being responsible for the death of so many people. And then making him immortal seems too weird.

​Who knows maybe it'll play out better when i actually watch it. Still i wish there could be harlock more like the earlier years. He was one of my favourite childhood heroes and it sucks to not have a show in recent times (last 20 years) be super awesome.

Edited by Sandman

Well, the real spoiler is that he wants to fix it by

Unraveling time itelf, to rrstart the universe, and somehow prevent it from happening, effectively restarting the big bang

, but like I said, it all kinda works.

• 3 months later...

I finally got around to seeing this. Simply put, it was an incoherent frigging mess without a single redeeming factor. I wouldn't even bother to discuss it further, as it's not worth the time or effort.

Yeah.. it pretty much sucked. My shitty subs didn't help, but it was pretty terrible story wise.

It almost makes me want to cancel my Hot Toys harlock but I'm getting a good deal on it.