Out of the ashes of the now-bankrupt Midway Games comes a new hope for all Mortal Kombat fans. Developed by NetherRealm Studios (formerly Midway) under the supervision of the game's co-creator Ed Boon, the new MK returns to its 2D fighting roots, dropping the 3D sidestepping of the past games. Players who love doing combo chains will love two of the game's new features: Tag Team and X-Ray. Tag Team appears to be more or less like the Marvel vs. Capcom series. X-Ray mode enables players to see exactly how much damage they do to their opponents with combos that inflict over 40% damage.

Already confirmed to appear in the game as playable characters are Raiden, Johnny Cage, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Kung Lao, Mileena, Nightwolf, Reptile, Sektor and Shang Tsung. Shao Kahn appears in the the trailer, but it is unknown if he is a playable character. Boon says he's aiming to have a total of 26 playable characters in the roster.

Mortal Kombat is set for release in Spring 2011 for the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Edited by areaseven

Looked extremely awesome....until the robots showed up.

Loved the first two MK games, they were like hong kong kung fu movies in videogame form. Then the third game came out with robots and cyborgs and everyone wearing spandex and sci-fi clothes and it just lost all that kung-fu movie vibe.

I still like MK IV the best, followed by MK II. I like the general story for III but hated the combo mechanics... too Street Fighter/Tekken'ish for me and less about the moves and strategies involved than with twitchy button sequencing.

It's nice to see Reiku in his alter ego in this game.

Anyone who's beaten Reiku's Story Mode in Mortal Kombat IV would know that he is Shao Khan.

I went to look that up, it seems it's been debunked multiple times.

Then the third game came out with robots and cyborgs and everyone wearing spandex and sci-fi clothes and it just lost all that kung-fu movie vibe.

Sci-fi clothes? Minus Kabal and the cyborgs, they don't look sci-fi to me.

It's nice to see Reiku in his alter ego in this game.

Anyone who's beaten Reiku's Story Mode in Mortal Kombat IV would know that he is Shao Khan.

lol no,in armageddon reiko was next in line but this game takes place in a alternate dimension between MK2 and 3,Shao Khan is Shao Khan.

besides,Reiko was never as buff or as huge as Khan was.

I cant wait for this new MK been a fan for ages and got all the games,i love it,this one really looks awesome,the model damage,the x-ray,the classic gore,its MK reborn.

Edited by Vepariga

Take a gander at

They explained that he "likes to sneak into his chambers and wear his helmet". Though I don't really hold much weight since I stopped following MK after Trilogy.

But my god, that is the worst swagger I ever seen... and that floating helmet... I can understand that the game was Midway's first foray into 3D animation, but wow.

Edited by shiroikaze

Sci-fi clothes? Minus Kabal and the cyborgs, they don't look sci-fi to me.

yamp-jax3d.jpg

ultimate-mortal-kombat-3-20061023041450311.jpg

932201_20061023_screen003.jpg

"SCi-fi", "Superhero", whatever you want to call it, pretty much everyone started wearing spandex with padding made entirely of bright, flat colours. Mortal Kombat 1 looked like a grainy, 70's Hong Kong flick, MKII looked like someone went and made a modern day Hong Kong flick, MKIII looked like a low budget, cheesy sci-fi fantasy movie that would air on the Sci-Fi channel at 3am.

Heh, I forgot about Jax. Now that I look at Stryker again, he does kinda pass for a sci-fi character... I do see what you mean by "superhero", though I still think (most of) the costumes are just fine.

Even the colour swap ninjas. In the first game they had plain cloth ninja style clothes. In the second game, their outfit got a lot more detailed, but was still ninja/fantasy. They kept the same basic design, but switched to the same spandexy/plastic look as everyone else in the third game. Whatever you want to call it, I just really did not like that shift in style. The native american character (I forget his name) appeared in this new game's trailer and he still looks like he walked out of MKIII, with that style of outfit, and I could never stand the robot ninjas.

I liked that gritty hong kong vibe a lot better than the Sci-Fi Channel Original Series vibe of the post MKII characters. Both are campy, just in different ways.

Edited by Radd

My biggest nitpick with the evolution of the Ninja costumes is the face covering thing turning from simple ninja-style face-cloth to some football-esque hard facemask thing. Same with the samurai shoulders.

The native American character (I forget his name) appeared in this new game's trailer and he still looks like he walked out of MKIII, with that style of outfit, and I could never stand the robot ninjas.

I was never a fan of Nightwolf. And Cyrax & Sektor were two reasons I skipped the first version of MK3. At least Midway redeemed themselves by bringing back Scorpion and classic Sub-Zero in Ultimate MK3.

My biggest nitpick with the evolution of the Ninja costumes is the face covering thing turning from simple ninja-style face-cloth to some football-esque hard facemask thing. Same with the samurai shoulders.

I agree but I loved the facemasks from the original movie. Each one had its own design and matched well with the character. I didn't like what they did with Reptile in the series, constantly changing his design from human to man-lizard to dinosaur basically. He's gone back to that man-lizard look in the upcoming MK9.

Edited by Shadow

"...and Sub-Zero crushes your liver."

I really don't like Scorpion's new costume, I like the rejected concept better honestly. He has demon's blood smeared all over him.

Oh... wow. I had not seen that video before. As a HUGE fan of MKII, I am starting to look forward to this one. I would honestly love to see Kintaro return. Screw that awful Motaro.

• 5 months later...

Other than console exclusives, we apparently also get store-specific exclusive fatalities...

Amazon = Reptile

Gamestop = Scorpion

Best Buy = Sub-Zero

http://kotaku.com/5712970/some-mortal-kombat-fatalities-only-available-in-certain-stores

Warner Brothers Win.

Stupidity.

Edited by shiroikaze

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Lol, that was a cool video for Johnny. Also those screen shots that Radd posted are just too funny-right out of a cosplay scene gone wrong at the Comic-con or something...

Edited by myk

• 3 years later...