Looking for DVDs

dreadpyrat

Ok, this probably reeks of n00b but I dug around and didn't find an answer. I'm looking for a DVD set of SDF Macross but it seems like you cant buy it new in stores. (Yes, I'm new to all of this. ;) OK, so IO turn to eBay...so many choices! I'd like to find Macross, NOT Robotech, with English dubbing. Whats my best bet?

Thanks!

Ok, this probably reeks of n00b but I dug around and didn't find an answer. I'm looking for a DVD set of SDF Macross but it seems like you cant buy it new in stores. (Yes, I'm new to all of this. ;) OK, so IO turn to eBay...so many choices! I'd like to find Macross, NOT Robotech, with English dubbing. Whats my best bet?

Thanks!

There's an English dubbed release by ADV that you could probably find online. I found mine at a Fry's Electronics store last year, or it could have been Best Buy. I forget. Anyway, I believe it's the only English dubbed version of the Macross TV series, but don't quote me on that.

Looks like it's backordered at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Macross%3A+Complete+Collection+%288pc%29+-+DVD/9008272.p?id=1907787&skuId=9008272&st=macross&lp=2&cp=1

Edited by sharky

If you're looking for original SDF:Macross (what Robotech was based off of) only ADV had an english dub version of it, and to be honest, it isn't good. You may get more enjoyment out of the original Japanese language, but if you have to have the english dub, goto rightstuf.com and see if they have the ADV set. For the other Macross stuff, only Macross II and Macross Plus can be found with english, and you can probably get those at www.rightstuf.com as well.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I want my wife to watch it with me so I gotta get it in English. She's a cool geek but not cool enough for subtitles. ;) that link you gave me, Jason, is awesome. Those prices are fantastic. Thanks!

Trust me when I say it would behoove you to buy the Animeigo version of MacrossTV, and convince your wife to watch it subtitled with you. Both of you will appreciate how much better the story is when spoken in its original dialog and will be glad you did. Trust me on this. Avoid the dub at all costs.

The cool thing about the ADV dub (and really the only thing) is that they do have it in the original Japanese as well. So, you can at least try watching the first episode in both and see which one she prefers. If she just prefers the english only, she may not appreciate it as much in English, but the option is there.

The cool thing about the ADV dub (and really the only thing) is that they do have it in the original Japanese as well. So, you can at least try watching the first episode in both and see which one she prefers. If she just prefers the english only, she may not appreciate it as much in English, but the option is there.

It should probably be pointed out though that the Japanese soundtrack is very sucky on the ADV release compared to the Animeigo one. The ADV original Japanese track is much less vibrant and quite a bit quieter (and therefore is more distorted and has more hiss because you have to crank it up). The audio track on the Animeigo release is very clean, loud, and vibrant.

The dub on Hulu, if anything, will hopefully convince folks to go with the subtitles, and hunt down the Animeigo release. ;)