I know it's adorable. And doesn't require original cartridges like the Retron 5 does(Hell, it's smaller than some original cartridges). And a lot less locked-down, so there's the potential to run better emulators than the Retron uses, or at least emus that don't crap all over the open-source license.

They're both Android boxes, but one actually lets you use it to it's full capacity.

Basically, what I'm saying is the Retron 5 is not very good, and Hyperkin is a bunch of crapheads.

The more I looked into the Retron 5, the less I was liking it. My main issues with it were the death grip it had on the carts themselves, and the somewhat questionable build quality. The whole software stealing is another can of worms, and probably one I shouldn't open.

The GPD XD looks pretty solid, and the reviews themselves praise the quality that went into it. I guess I'll take the plunge shortly.

The more I looked into the Retron 5, the less I was liking it. My main issues with it were the death grip it had on the carts themselves, and the somewhat questionable build quality. The whole software stealing is another can of worms, and probably one I shouldn't open.

The GPD XD looks pretty solid, and the reviews themselves praise the quality that went into it. I guess I'll take the plunge shortly.

I did avoid getting too far into the abuse of open-source thing, since it's tangental to the core issues.

The GPD kinda reminds me of the Pandora, just without a keyboard and with significantly less-dated hardware.

(I'm hoping the successor, Pyra, is far less of a fiasco than the Pandora turned out to be. Because the Pandora was awesome, until everything went wrong. )

Guest davidwhangchoi

You don't fight it, it's offline, the final confrontation is with Big Boss. At least Escape theme is included, like the original MSX version.

yeah, nes don't even see metal gear but in msx you fight it, correct?

Guest davidwhangchoi

love salamander, from the arcades, i still play it monthly on mame. if you played the arcades (or mame), did you ever notice your force field shrinks as you pick up power ups? i found a way to pick up power ups and keeping my force field intact.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Why didn't they have Metal Gear as an encounter in the US release?

I was going to blame the technical limitations that saw a lot of other things watered down in the port from MSX to NES, but it seems like they simply replaced the image of Metal Gear with that of a supercomputer. The actual fight is almost identical.

My assumption is that they decided if make the titular mech couldn't be more than simple window dressing, it was better to not include it at all and avoid getting anyone's hopes up.

Because you don't FIGHT the Metal Gear in the MSX version. You plant bombs on an unmanned and inactive Metal Gear until it blows up.

And somehow, blowing Metal Gear up activates the base's self-destruct sequence. There's at least a degree of logic to the base's computer activating the self-destruct when it explodes(though it really shouldn't take near as many bombs to do).

Obviously, they were WRONG, and people wanted to at least SEE the robot they were sent to destroy. But... there's a logic there.

Now, of course, Snake's Revenge is a totally different GAME to Metal Gear 2. But they did preserve the presence of a Metal Gear in it! (Sorta. Kinda. Almost. Maybe.)

Guest davidwhangchoi

i realized, i never figured out how to blow the super computer... i just left and faced big boss. kinda weird... i beat the game without destroying it.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Gotta glitch through! YEAH!

glad someone remembers :) was that in Nintendo Power or Gamepro? In a world without internet, gaming tips coming from mags were key B))

Guest davidwhangchoi

Uncle Mario. They named a game after him.

hmm, i may got the wrong guy, but i know a guy by the same name that used to be a plumber with his brother. he really liked mushrooms in his food.

sega sound team

magical sound shower

sounds closest to the arcade

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

anyone ever play this final fight/double dragon clone?

P.O.W. by SNK

14002701.jpg

this game was had such a B.S. hard difficulty... ate my quarters up so fast.

guy below beats the game with ease:

GPD XD came in the mail yesterday, and... I LOVE IT. It it legal? Most probably not. However, for gaming in the go, this thing is quite flexible and, so far, hasn't had any problems playing anything. There's some glitches with the emulation, but that is to be expected. I'll post a proper review once I've used it for a bit more.

anyone ever play this final fight/double dragon clone?

P.O.W. by SNK

14002701.jpg

this game was had such a B.S. hard difficulty... ate my quarters up so fast.

guy below beats the game with ease:

I'm gonna go turn on my Final Fight Arcade machine out of respect...

Guest davidwhangchoi

wow you have a vintage cab? that's awesome. always wanted one after watching Silver Spoon.

the same guy beats final fight arcade with Haggar :blink:

i can go pretty far with Cody my usual character (Guy as well) but with Haggar? that takes skill.

Wow I never knew this existed. And i spend a good chunk of the 80s in arcades. Doesn't look like i missed much though.

That's basically because ESB was a conversion kit for the original Star Wars arcade machine. The problem is by converting you lost the original game, and arcades were reluctant to do that since it was a consistent money maker.

That's basically because ESB was a conversion kit for the original Star Wars arcade machine. The problem is by converting you lost the original game, and arcades were reluctant to do that since it was a consistent money maker.

Yeah thanks but i learned all that from the video. :p