10 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

wow this guy's arrange is just as good as the original composer

Haha you got me, I listened to the whole thing then only realised who it was later.. :p

Couple of years back I discovered Streets of Rage Remake, but what floored me was the remixed soundtrack. Although some were tinkered too much and are duds, many of the old memorable tracks really hits the spot by combining the classic key instrumentations with an updated touch and they overall felt like a very natural modern arrangement.

For eg:

The whole playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXXNiBF4C9hEfJE4gIQuv8UZNJ1te4wCH

I haven't seen or I missed mention of this little gem here...

Taito Egret 2 Mini. Works beautifully for a bar countertop arcade. Currently working on getting more stuff on it by strange and unusual means.

I also picked up the controller with the mini trackball and wheel for science.

Get it on sale though it can be pricey.

20231214_080637.jpg

20231214_080805.jpg

On 12/12/2023 at 6:17 PM, Big s said:

Have you thought about getting him a real guitar. There’s actually a few really good learning tools to help out with the teaching that are available these days. They teach everything from tuning to the basics and beyond. I wish these kinds of things were available when I was growing up. 
You never know, you could end up raising the next Eddie Van Halen

I would second this, though I think it really depends if someone has the interest and talent for actual music. As a guitarist myself for 30+ years (and a gamer for longer than that) I somewhat enjoyed Guitar Hero, but not as fulfilling as the real thing. My kids are unfortunately not into it, but a teenage son of a friend of mine has really taken to it using the self-teaching tools out there.

On 12/12/2023 at 12:59 AM, Scyla said:

I'm watching this 7 hours Metroid retrospective on YouTube and since most of the games are retro now I thought this thread was a good place to post it.

Thanks for mentioning that. I enjoyed the similar video he did on the Castlevania series, and will have to check this one out.

Another Youtube retro gaming series I've been checking out lately is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/@Nowinthe90s

5 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

If I wasn't seeing this first-hand, I'd call BS on this... After watching this and the Samurai Showdown remake, including added the largest sprites from the Neo Geo that were originally cut out in the Genesis version tells me there was plenty of room leftover for Genesis titles to push the envelope. The SS video also showed Marvel Super Heroes running, including a full-size Juggernaut.

My original Genesis, Nomad, and Saturn are all sitting in the other room chilling.

On 12/12/2023 at 1:59 PM, Scyla said:

I'm watching this 7 hours Metroid retrospective on YouTube and since most of the games are retro now I thought this thread was a good place to post it.

It is also an interesting rundown on most of Nintendo's past consoles and an iconic, beloved character and a long lived  series that was never super successful:

Never knew there are video essays this long on YouTube lol.. I recently so happened to be contemplating on what little highlights I recall of SNES Super Metroid, and that section of video was a timely reminder of specific gameplay & stages I have mostly not seen since completing it eons ago.

From what I remember, it took quite some tries for me to finally get invested into the game. At that time, there were lots of buzz in practically all the magazines that covered SNES (my main & go to gaming mag was EGM, anyone remember that?), but just from the printed still pictures, I recall the game looked rather dull. Everything looked dark with rather flat colour palette.

When I finally got a copy of the game, I promptly got bored within perhaps the first hour or two. The graphics, visuals & overall presentation were very different to the types of games I was playing at that time. Eventually I sat down with it again at length, persevered, and I remember there was a point far enough into it when everything just clicked and then I could not put down the gamepad!

Fast forward to comparatively more present times, to when I picked up gaming again. It was Tomb Raider 2013, and the way one gets to access new areas in older stages with newly learned abilities from later stages was a huge deja vu moment - a direct callback to my Super Metroid experience, and I soon learned that Super Metroid was largely responsible for this aspect of game design in the years after.

I will always have a bit of soft spot for Samus, even though Super Metroid was the only Metroid experience I had. I did not watch the whole 7 hours of the video, but it is a great way to glimpse into all the other Metroid versions & sequels that came after. Thanks for posting this. :good:

Edited by MKT

@MKT Out of all the Metroid games I played (and I played most of them) the only one I didn’t enjoy was the first one on NES. Just like many of it contemporaries it is has a lot of novel ideas but is so raw and limited by the technology of the time (and the players has a different mindset too). 

So if you enjoyed Super Metroid I can recommend Fusion and Dread which are direct sequels of Super Metroid and encompass Samus' story quite well.

While I haven’t played it the AM2R unofficial remake of the second game would be a good add to the list as well.

The Metroid Prime trilogy is awesome too and it still baffels me to this day that Nintendo managed for all its major franchises to not only to translate them into 3D games but also made most of them best-in-class versions (or found studios that could do it for them) were so many other game developers failed.

15 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

The original nes had to be played before super metroid came out. due to so many improvements, it's hard to go back to nes if super metroid was first. 

NES metroid is my all time favorite. I like it more than super metroid bc it had no map.and you can get lost.

I have to agree. I grew up on classic Metroid and at the time it felt amazing. You start off with a basic crappy setup, but as you go things get much better and that surprise ending was totally worth the challenge. It was one of my all time favorites and oddly, I never really enjoyed the later games as much. It always felt like here’s another Metroid game, you start out crappy and become cool, but we’ve already ruined the surprise and there’s probably a better game out right now anyway 

2 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

The original nes had to be played before super metroid came out. due to so many improvements, it's hard to go back to nes if super metroid was first. 

NES metroid is my all time favorite. I like it more than super metroid bc it had no map.and you can get lost.

Precisely. People that come to Metroid 1 now are expecting a game that plays like Super Metroid, when it is a very different beast.

Truthfully I never got very far into Metroid, it was one of those I didn't understand at the time on how to play it like quite a few NES games....I mean I was 4 or 5 when I got the console all those years ago and the only games I really focused on playing were Mario, Duckhunt and Track Meet. Same thing with Zelda, didn't know what I was doing at the time. 

So now that we have been playing guitar hero and Rock band games....I will now introduce the other "music" game we played at the Dave and Buster's arcade...DDR!

So I dusted off the old PS2 and bought some games....and I am wondering...is there an adapter that will allow the PS2 dance mats to work on the PS3?  Most of the webs seems to say there is no such adapter available?

Anyone get this specific configuration to work?

On 12/21/2023 at 1:23 PM, Black Valkyrie said:

That Fatal Fury port is pretty impressive.
Back in the days, Takara would port lots of Neo Geo / SNK games to the SNES. Naturally graphics & sound took a hit, the crucial gameplay wasn't as tight as say, the various Street Fighter 2 versions were on the SNES, but they were pretty decent ports overall so I had lots of fun with them. Play the most current SNK games at the arcades, then go home after to play last year’s SNK games on the SNES lol.

The Genesis was mostly skipped out from these ports as it was believed gameplay would be too compromised from the original.

Seeing the gameplay of this Fatal Fury port on Genesis now look to be even better than any of the SNK ports on SNES. 

Edited by MKT

buddy of mine and I are gonna go to another con just outside town. Seems like there's a lot of game selling merch at this one and we were gonna shop for a 64. However, I got a bit antsy and was cruising ebay and got one that's in decent condition and said to had been tested for just under 50 bucks....don't think it'll come with any cables, def no controller or games. I'm hesitant though on buying any hookups with it seeing how I've had nothing but bad luck with picture quality from every single console I've purchased. No matter what I get the quality is incredibly dark and almost unbearable. 

This seems to be trending a bit.

It is amazing how after so many years, someone recently reinvented the playstyle on the original NES controller, started off a resurgence & revolution to original Tetris, culminating in beating the impossible. The speeds are crazy!

It is trending, and inaccurate. He achieved the first crash, which is an... accomplishment?... but it isn't a killscreen. (He actually missed the crash he was going for and had to shoot for another one a few levels later.)
In fact, it is possible, with enough skill and luck, to keep going until the level counter passes 255 and wraps around back to zero. I think I'd call that "beating" Tetris.

• 2 weeks later...

It's my understanding that the Retro Shooters work sort of like Wiimotes.  They come with IR sensors that you stick at the corners of your display.  The nice thing is that you can buy them with a "custom console" (basically an Android box with some ports dedicated for the Retro Shooters), and they preloaded it with some ROMS like House of the Dead 2, Confidential Mission, Time Crisis, Point Blank, Duck Hunt, Battle Clash, Metal Combat, etc (but no Virtua Cop?), so it's pretty plug-n-play.

I'll have to dig into it a little more.  Sounds like they'd be less accurate than a Sinden, but it looks like you can get 2 guns with recoil, two foot pedals, 4 IR receivers, and the console for less than $250 right now (or with a pair of NES-style controllers and a pair of PlayStation-style controllers for $30 more), and a little over $30 extra to add a hub to connect to your PC.  Meanwhile, a pair of Sinden guns with recoil are $300 and you gotta supply your own PC.

I've come across a giant collection of retro stuff recently. I've acquired an SNES, Sega Genesis Model 2, and now a Sega Saturn. Out of those........the Saturn is the only thing that's actually "working". I had purchased a Psuedo Saturn cartridge and for the most part, I like it, it does what it needs. But I'm having some issues. So yeah, I'm using backups and I got a ton off the wishlist of stuff I've always wanted to try and play. 
But I'm wondering has anyone run into issues where audio repeats or skips or just down right freezes? I dunno if it's cause they're backups, if it's the Psuedo not having enough memory, oooooor worse case scenario, the optical drive.

22 minutes ago, Hikuro said:

I've come across a giant collection of retro stuff recently. I've acquired an SNES, Sega Genesis Model 2, and now a Sega Saturn. Out of those........the Saturn is the only thing that's actually "working". I had purchased a Psuedo Saturn cartridge and for the most part, I like it, it does what it needs. But I'm having some issues. So yeah, I'm using backups and I got a ton off the wishlist of stuff I've always wanted to try and play. 
But I'm wondering has anyone run into issues where audio repeats or skips or just down right freezes? I dunno if it's cause they're backups, if it's the Psuedo not having enough memory, oooooor worse case scenario, the optical drive.

I had to look up Pseudo Saturn, and the memories are slowly coming back although still fuzzy.. I'm not sure how many types of Pseudo Saturn were out there, but I have used something similar. If I recall correctly, I experienced the same errors as you did then and it is due to the cartridge pins sometimes not aligning properly to the slot due to bad tolerances, hence iffy contact points.

In my case, I had to pull up very slightly the cartridge on one side (I think right side), such that there is a very gentle sloping tilt, the right side being higher than the left. It has to be just right, too much or too little and the errors will be there. 

Edited by MKT

On 1/23/2024 at 8:32 PM, MKT said:

I had to look up Pseudo Saturn, and the memories are slowly coming back although still fuzzy.. I'm not sure how many types of Pseudo Saturn were out there, but I have used something similar. If I recall correctly, I experienced the same errors as you did then and it is due to the cartridge pins sometimes not aligning properly to the slot due to bad tolerances, hence iffy contact points.

In my case, I had to pull up very slightly the cartridge on one side (I think right side), such that there is a very gentle sloping tilt, the right side being higher than the left. It has to be just right, too much or too little and the errors will be there. 

I delicately lifted that right side, and so far so good, so thanks for the tip. Last night when I popped in Sakura Wars it froze just before the title screen each time. Now the audio glitches aren't happening as frequently and I've gotten thru the first chapter without much of an issue. I won't lie, I had a couple of heart pounding moments thinking there was a crash or something, but it's good. I hadn't tried my other backups yet, we'll see. 

I had to take the SNES and Sega back to the store I got it from. The SNES went from having a black screen with no games playing to just complete death. The shop is acquiring another unit from another location, I just hope it isn't yellowed out and disgusting...I had put a lot of effort in cleaning the one that's dead and they'll want that one back so it's not like I can just swap out the shells.
The Sega Genesis they got working...so it's more about the cartridge I was using than the console, had to put in a return request and send the game back to amazon. But I cruised thru ebay and managed to get Terminator 2 Arcade, Sonic & Knuckles and a CIB Sonic 2 for under 60 bucks....I can't complain.
-------------------------

So, I'm still getting some funky stuff, not nearly as bad as before. I've been playing some stuff and I keep getting freezes at the exact same place, restart just to see if it's a loading mistake, freeze again same spot, audio glitches, all that stuff. I'm thinking it's possibly the optical drive is having issues cause it's so old, OR, it's the burnt disc. I experimented a bit last night by going at a much slower speed. I've gone from 10x's down to just 1. Stuck in a new disc and I got past the stuck portion of my game, b ut still got audio glitches.

Now call me crazy, but I actually really do enjoy the saturn, so much so that I went ahead and bought a broken japanese unit in white for 30 bucks and gonna restore it. Guy told me it has power but no video signal and won't read discs. No sense in checking voltage if it's powering on so my processing is that if it can't get to the main menu it's gotta be pop capacitors which luckily there aren't a lot and it'll be easier than the freaking game gear. If that works, maybe the disc reader will as well......if it doesn't I'll just swap it out with the I think Fefnir duo and make it my main play unit and the other Saturn will go into storage to be kept nicely locked up.

Edited by Hikuro

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...