13 hours ago, JB0 said:

I mean, so did the Retron 5.

Granted, the Retron 5 was also a big ball of license violations, which this thing's taking care to get right. And the Retron wasn't very good at its job.

There's also the future lightgun peripheral that has its software & tech fully licensed. It's not the prettiest, but if it works with Hogan's Alley, Duck Hunt, Lethal Enforcers, Terminator 2: Judgements Day, Virtua Cop 1 & 2, and Snatcher then I'm game.

https://www.polymega.com/2019/06/05/lig

Edited by Keith

25 minutes ago, Keith said:

There's also the future lightgun peripheral that has its software & tech fully licensed. It's not the prettiest, but if it works with Hogan's Alley, Duck Hunt, Lethal Enforcers, Terminator 2: Judgements Day, Virtua Cop 1 & 2, and Snatcher then I'm game.

I do miss my Time Crisis runs.

9 hours ago, Keith said:

Licensed the Sinden Lightgun... which uses a digital camera and image recognition software. Smart design.

I hadn't heard of this before, and I'd kinda like to get a Sinden now.

And I DO give Polymega credit for actually licensing things instead of just stealing it and letting the community scream into the void. It doesn't fully make up for the "hybrid emulation" nonsense they were spouting during their original panhandling campaign, but it does mitigate things a lot. I'm also giving them credit for putting a low-end x86 in there instead of an ARM, it gives them the horsepower needed for more thorough emulation and avoids any unfortunate performance issues(particularly with more complex systems).

*grumpy old man rant here*

I'm just sayin'... this is mostly a case of polish and presentation, not anything revolutionary. I find the asking price rather steep for what it is, particularly the "system modules", which are all "a cartridge slot, a couple controller ports, and some caps and resistors". They looked at the Retron 5 and (especially) RetroFreak and said "We could sell this for TWICE what they're asking, but strip all the cartridge slots out and then charge people an entire system's cost for each cartridge slot." (If they tell me they never saw the RetroFreak before they launched their Kickstarter campaign, I will call them liars to their face.)

And I'm still baffled by the use of Kega Fusion on a Linux-based system in 2020.

*end grumpy old man rant*

There is a non-zero chance I will buy some of their controllers. If they're decent quality and actually work with the original hardware, they're very tempting. (Still overpriced, but ... what controller ISN'T?)

12 hours ago, Keith said:

I do wish somebody would use the Wii/infrared method of light guns on modern displays rather than this one where you see a distracting white border around the game.

10 hours ago, pablumatic said:

I do wish somebody would use the Wii/infrared method of light guns on modern displays rather than this one where you see a distracting white border around the game.

The Guncon 3 did it. PS Aim does it today.

There's problems with mounting the sensor(Aim) or emitter(GunCon/Wii) properly,  and subsequent calibration(particularly if the player is moving around).

The frame inlay is meant to avoid the necessity of added devices and calibration. The shape and size of the frame in the device's view give it all the information it needs to calculate precisely where on the screen it is pointing, creating a "plug and play" interface. External sensors or emitters don't do that unless they are appreciably more complex.

(Speaking of complexty, the GunCon 3 used two separate emitters mounted on opposing corners of the screen, and that would give screen-accuracy if they were mounted properly. My impression is they often weren't. And they were ugly by necessity, lending them a low wife-acceptance factor.)

13 hours ago, JB0 said:

Licensed the Sinden Lightgun... which uses a digital camera and image recognition software. Smart design.

I hadn't heard of this before, and I'd kinda like to get a Sinden now.

The Sinden lightgun looks extremely promising, and I'll probably nab at least one for my PC.

Edited by mikeszekely

"NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA!"

I love that sticker, it just seems so random.

(Apparently, the GunCon tripped over some changes to the toy gun laws in that state. My copy's one of the later issues, and came with the GunCon painted solid orange and no "Too hot for California" sticker.)

Man I miss playing lightgun games the with the GunCon 2. I think I own all the U.S. GunCon 2 compatible games on the PS2 (my favorite being Sega's Vampire Night). I remember having to buy that stupid Sony AV adapter thing to use it because at the time I ran all my consoles through s-video. It worked great and was very accurate.

I used to have a huge tube TV.  I think it was a 36".  I loved playing Time Crisis games on that monster.

Sadly, it died.  Getting someone to cart the thing away was a nightmare.  But the biggest loss was the loss of light gun games.  Playing Time Crisis has never felt even remotely satisfying since.  The largest tube TV I have to play light gun games on now is just a 19", and considering what I got used to, that's just pathetic.  I wish I had at least a 25" set, and a 32" would be pretty acceptable.

15 hours ago, efisher said:

I remember having to buy that stupid Sony AV adapter thing to use it because at the time I ran all my consoles through s-video. It worked great and was very accurate.

I was using a third-party s-video cable on my PS1, and it had a composite connector dangling off to tap.

Never had a GunCon2 game.

17 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

i've never seen a full orange GunCon 1. never knew that existed.

As promised, orange GunCon. I remembered wrong my Point Blank 3 box has a (very faded) "not for Commiefornia" sticker.

You can tell from the screwholes and the chipped paint on the trigger that they spraypainted a regular GunCon to make it orange(but it was like this fresh out of the shrinkwrap).

IMG_20200821_001220-x.jpg

Edited by JB0

1 hour ago, Black Valkyrie said:

I've managed to work the Dreamcast emu/roms on the Genesis Mini. it works but 30% slower, due to the week Genesis Mini processor. 

vf3.jpg

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

Gods, I spent so many quarters on Daytona USA back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

Looks good but the limited quantities thing is putting me off. Also I don't think a Turbo Everdrive will fit in the card slot. My MiSTer FPGA box does the PCE/TG16/CD perfectly and there's no need for me to get this. The price they are charging for it is right though.

I'm glad to see that Analogue isn't shying away from optical drives. But I hope that they use quality drives in the Duo and put it through some pet/child testing before selling them to customers. I read that the first version of the Analogue NT ended up scratching cartridges as they were inserted and removed. It'd be disastrous if someone's Dracula X: Rondo of Blood got scratched up because the Duo accidentally got nudged during gameplay.

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Black Valkyrie said:

It's ugly, expensive, and half the games are Street Fighter II. Hopefully it'll be better than the little mini console they recently put out, but it's sounding like an easy pass for me.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jenius said:

What's a good way to play sega cd roms? I want to go on a nostalgia trip.

On Windows?  I use Kega Fusion, with the CD images in a bin/cue format.  For controls I use a Retro-bit USB Saturn controller.  Not as authentic as using a Retro-bit USB 6-button Genesis controller, but the button layout is close enough and the Saturn pad feels better in the hand.

Bonus: Kega Fusion plays Genesis and 32X roms, too.

9 hours ago, jenius said:

What's a good way to play sega cd roms? I want to go on a nostalgia trip.

If you still have original hardware (and some cash to spend) you can always get a Mega Everdrive Pro or a Mega SD flash cart and a RetroTink 2X for that maximum nostalgia trip.

27 minutes ago, efisher said:

If you still have original hardware (and some cash to spend) you can always get a Mega Everdrive Pro or a Mega SD flash cart and a RetroTink 2X for that maximum nostalgia trip.

My brother has all the original stuff. My son was coming up with a turn-based strategy/war game so I wanted to revisit some old classics to get ideas and help him scratch his itch. Dark Wizard on the Sega CD and Iron Storm on Saturn came to mind. Maybe I'll try the Shining Force games next.