18 minutes ago, TheLoneWolf said:

Honestly, it probably depends on who you ask. Older gamers will say it's Cody, Guy, etc., but to younger gamers (and most likely future gamers too), it's going to be her.

Fair enough.  At 40 I'm probably in that older gamer group, so your theory tracks.

I like your comments, true what you all said but to as for me, its my fave/ No.1 side scroller beat'me up of all time and Guy is my favorite character.  I play it almost every week, the Japanese version of course, the Super Famicom and the Gameboy Advance.  In addition to that I have the rom files for the Mega-CD and Sega-CD, still figuring out how to activate them on the mini consoles, I've tried all the methods and followed all videos on YouTube but nothing.

Besides Konami being my fave gaming company, in late 80s, early 90s Capcom is special to me until now, for their colorful and large graphics.   

On 6/18/2020 at 5:13 AM, Black Valkyrie said:

In addition to that I have the rom files for the Mega-CD and Sega-CD, still figuring out how to activate them on the mini consoles, I've tried all the methods and followed all videos on YouTube but nothing.

I admit I don't know much about Sega's mini consoles, but since they weren't designed to play Mega/Sega CD ISO's, patching them doesn't seem like an great solution. Have you thought about getting a Mega SG and MegaSD? I hear that's the best (albeit expensive) way to play classic Sega games on modern TV's.

On 6/26/2020 at 7:25 AM, TheLoneWolf said:

I admit I don't know much about Sega's mini consoles, but since they weren't designed to play Mega/Sega CD ISO's, patching them doesn't seem like an great solution. Have you thought about getting a Mega SG and MegaSD? I hear that's the best (albeit expensive) way to play classic Sega games on modern TV's.

I know about them but unfortunately I did keep my original Genesis, only have the Sega Saturn. 

On 6/30/2020 at 4:03 PM, Black Valkyrie said:

I know about them but unfortunately I did keep my original Genesis, only have the Sega Saturn. 

Kega Fusion on Windows plays Genesis, 32X, and Sega CD games, and you can get a licensed Retrobit reproduction 6-button USB Genesis controller for around $20.

I love having a collection of my favorite Genesis games on the Mini, but my collection of ROMs and ISOs for those three is probably around 140 GB, and the Mini doesn't really have enough room.

On 7/3/2020 at 1:19 AM, David Hingtgen said:

I still have my original Genesis, MIB, if anyone wants "the real thing".   :)

I've got mine rigged up with the Atari 2600 through a demodulator to the big screen.

I was also trying to hook up all four Playstations but my original PS won't read anything; I think it got screwed up being moved place to place.

Built me a MiSTer FPGA box for my retro gaming needs recently. Been playing a lot of Capcom CPS1 arcade games (Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Carrier Air Wing, and U.N. Squadron mostly) and a ton of Neo Geo games after a long day of work. I just got Turbografx CD and Sega CD games finally working on it and it plays them all perfectly. I think I'm going to finally box up my consoles for good this time.

fgYUtBp.jpg

If anyone is interested, this is the guy I bought it from: https://misteraddons.com/

I also followed his video on how to assemble it here:

This is the SD card tutorial I used:

Edited by efisher

6 hours ago, efisher said:

Built me a MiSTer FPGA box for my retro gaming needs recently. Been playing a lot of Capcom CPS1 arcade games (Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Carrier Air Wing, and U.N. Squadron mostly) and a ton of Neo Geo games after a long day of work. I just got Turbografx CD and Sega CD games finally working on it and it plays them all perfectly. I think I'm going to finally box up my consoles for good this time.

Those look interesting... more accurate than an emulator and support for CRTs.  But, unless things have massively improved since the Game Sack video I watched on them, it sounds like not everything's working yet, and SD storage isn't going to cut it for my collection.  My collection of ROMs and ISOs is close to 2TB, and I haven't even started on PlayStation yet.  Minisforum is getting ready to crowdfund a new mini PC with Ryzen 5, I'll probably look into getting one of those and setting it up with Retroarch or something.

Yes, things have massively improved since that Game Sack review. I don't think they even had cores for CPS1, Neo Geo, Sega CD, or TG16 CD when that review was put out. There's a PS1 core in development and is progressing smoothly, and a Sega 16 arcade board core (Golden Axe, Shinobi, Altered Beast, Fantasy Zone, etc...) being worked on as well. There has been support for external hard drives and larger micro SD cards for a while now so your digital collection would be totally playable if there are system specific cores to run them.

1 hour ago, Black Valkyrie said:

Sega's Astro city Mini, 

I saw that this morning on a gaming website.  Lots of people complaining that Sega isn't doing a Saturn mini or a Dreamcast mini instead.  I guess those people don't get how enormously popular arcades were in Japan.  Not saying that I wouldn't mind a Saturn Mini or a Dreamcast mini myself, but given how poorly those systems actually did in their day (ok, the Saturn actually did alright in Japan) I could see this being the smarter move for Sega in the Japanese market.

I won't import and Astro City mini, and I'm not totally sure I'd buy one if it got a domestic release.  Maybe, having played more in arcades, the Japanese market finds mini cabinets more authentic and/or appealing, but I'd rather ditch the cost of the LCD and what not for a cheaper box since I'd just plug it into the TV anyway.  That thing looks too cramped for me (although it looks like it might be a little bigger than the Neo Geo mini).

All that said, I love the controller.  Something about the neon green buttons, white plastic shell, and the black and gray label reminds me of the kinds of electronic toys I played with growing up in the '80s.

Well lets say its an alternative to the Saturn/ DC mini.  Back in the early 90s  to the late 90s I used to play a lot of SEGA Arcade games, besides Capcom and Namco, so for me its a welcome edition and its a must, if you are an arcade player.  I've always preferred Arcade games over home conversions.

The controller its beautiful. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that news. Gonna try the patch. I'm kinda disappointed that he couldn't add the two missing elephants back into Dhalsim's stage. It was one of the few things that bugged me about the SNES and Genesis ports.

Off topic, but I finally received my two Terraonion MODEs last week and installed both without any problems. The Saturn install took about 18 minutes and the Dreamcast install was about 10 minutes. The games feel like they load a tiny bit faster (I'm using 1tb SSDs in both systems btw), mostly a second or two. I will recommend that you buy a micro sd card extender (around 9 inches) if you plan on keeping the systems tops screwed on. It makes applying firmware updates easier.

On 7/20/2020 at 11:15 PM, davidwhangchoi said:

i brought a fully boxed Dreamcast today for 79 and lo and behold when i unpacked it, it came with a model HIT-0400 Ethnet modem. Wow! that was a big surprise. Thing is so hard to find in the wild. 

Very nice!

1 hour ago, F-ZeroOne said:

"Stereo-of-the-art"...?!

It's twice as good as mono-of-the-art sound.

(Full disclosure: I ripped "with stereo-of-the-art sound" for a signature in a forum many years ago. It is memorable engrish.)

Edited by JB0

9 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Oh. It's a tiny x86 PC running a collection of emulators.

"Emulators: Legally licensed versions of Mednafen, Mesen, Kega Fusion, and MAME."

There ya go, that's what you need to install on your PC to get the authentic Polymega experience.

Wait. Waitwait. Kega Fusion? Seriously? They licensed a Windows-only emulator last updated in 2010 for their 2020 Linux computer?

On 8/11/2020 at 9:22 PM, JB0 said:

Oh. It's a tiny x86 PC running a collection of emulators.

"Emulators: Legally licensed versions of Mednafen, Mesen, Kega Fusion, and MAME."

There ya go, that's what you need to install on your PC to get the authentic Polymega experience.

Wait. Waitwait. Kega Fusion? Seriously? They licensed a Windows-only emulator last updated in 2010 for their 2020 Linux computer?

But it rips discs & carts with no shafy software fuss & muss. This honestly has me interested.