On 6/15/2019 at 5:40 AM, efisher said:

Yeah, the PC Engine/Turbografx-16 is great little system. I played the crap out of The Legendary Axe, World Class Baseball, and R-Type back in the day.

Has Konami announced any dates for pre-orders/release?

I would put Legendary Axe up there with some of the best 2D games ever. It's that good to me. I didn't care for the sequel that much though.

I'm not sure they could put anything on the system that I would want that I don't already have. HappyConsoleGamer mentioned some unreleased in the United States titles. If they do that then I would get it.

14 hours ago, JetJockey said:

I would put Legendary Axe up there with some of the best 2D games ever. It's that good to me. I didn't care for the sequel that much though.

I totally agree with you. Other than the stupid way the game centers your character when you walk to the left, it's a great game.

I liked the sequel. I thought the music was way better, and that crazy ass ending in the Japanese version with the topless woman (she has a red shirt in the US version) attacking you while you're sitting on the throne laughing is such a great WTF moment.

My favorite music track in Legendary Axe 2:

Also, just wondering if you got your copy of Bloodstained? I just got mine in the mail today. Can't wait till the weekend to play it.

11 hours ago, efisher said:

I totally agree with you. Other than the stupid way the game centers your character when you walk to the left, it's a great game.

I liked the sequel. I thought the music was way better, and that crazy ass ending in the Japanese version with the topless woman (she has a red shirt in the US version) attacking you while you're sitting on the throne laughing is such a great WTF moment.

My favorite music track in Legendary Axe 2:

Also, just wondering if you got your copy of Bloodstained? I just got mine in the mail today. Can't wait till the weekend to play it.

Legendary Axe was pretty much the filled out home game version of Jungle Hunt / Jungle King to me. I remember watching one of the original commericals with the game and seeing the final boss, that I didn't know at the time, and thinking that you have to fight that? I think the final boss was one of the original large screen bosses that surprised me back then.

Actually, I can't remember finishing Legendary Axe 2. I know I got to the last boss and had trouble with him. I remember another reason I wasn't too fond of it was because it didn't have that jungle setting and the game had a darker theme. I do remember liking that first stage music and a few other tracks. But I prefer pretty much everything about the original game over the sequel. But I'll go back and play them again one day. I know I still own both of them.

Yeah Bloodstained showed up today. I don't know if I should be pleased or shocked that they shipped it in a box that says Fangamer and Bloodstained. But I'm keeping that box as part of the overall package. I haven't played the 8-bit game yet. I might wait for the complete package in August before getting started on all of it. But I'm happy that it's here. Also that Ayami Kojima artwork is pretty good. And we are getting a poster of it too which is cool.

685043955_bloodstainedkojimaart.jpg.884721bdf451e390aad58e6cd452ed63.jpg

2 hours ago, Mommar said:

Too bad the port of Bloodstained for the Switch is so godawful.  I guess I won’t be playing it.

Yeah, I totally forgot I had pre-ordered it on Amazon. The frame rate and weird glitches really mess up the flow of the game. Hopefully they can iron out the glitches with firmware updates. But until then, I'll just continue to play it on the PS4 Pro.

After seeing this ported to the Switch, I immediately cancelled my pre-order for Raiden V because I know it won't run at 60fps.

On 6/26/2019 at 10:58 AM, Mommar said:

Too bad the port of Bloodstained for the Switch is so godawful.  I guess I won’t be playing it.

Wish I'd have known about these issues a day or two sooner. The physical version I ordered just arrived. Hopefully those promised patches come quickly... 

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to default to PS4 myself. Not that I don't like Nintendo games. But I seem to only get games made by Nintendo on Nintendo systems these days unless it's the rare exclusive. Xbox is more complicated since Microsoft and their scratching and breaking systems is why I'm still behind on playing a lot of older Xbox games.

I'm about to clear out the games that I want to play on portable systems. I mentioned before that I was never really fond of portable systems. Or portable versions of games. Now I think I'm around just a few games that I want to play on portables that never received console upgrades or are specifically on 3DS for the 3D effect. I just think it's ridiculous that a lot of games I grew up playing are regulated to a tiny screen when I used to play them on at least a 20 to 24 inch TV. Games I never played on PSP like Persona 2, I'll get for the PlayStation TV.

On 7/12/2019 at 5:25 AM, Black Valkyrie said:

I'm getting it but the game list comes off a bit lazy. Untranslated Japanese games for an American release? Especially something like Snatcher. And no Legendary Axe, Splatterhouse, Valis series, and others. But English and Japanese Ys Books 1 & 2. Just strange.

On 7/13/2019 at 3:22 AM, Black Valkyrie said:

This is something to watch.

Also look who is back.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, efisher said:

Nice! I have the figma Thunder Force III & IV ships that came out back in February. I haven't had time to take them out of the box and display them though.

I forgot those came out and I still need to get them. And play Part 4. I want that ship from Part 5. That's probably my favorite design. I want Part 2 as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. 

I recently installed Retroarch on my PS Vita, with the intention to play some old Macross arcade and PC Engine games. However, the only game I've been able to run flawlessly is Macross II. The SDF Macross arcade game runs with no sound, and both Macross Plus and the PC Engine game crash the system. 

Has anyone else tried this? 

1 minute ago, mikeszekely said:

I've dabbled with Retroarch, but not on Vita and not with those games. All I can suggest is trying a different emulation core.

^ This. Lots of cores to try out.

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't seen any updates on this thread and thought I'd add some of my recent retro related pickups:

27K6O23.jpg

I got tired of waiting on the U.S. release of The Ninja Saviors and went with the Asian release. I've already unlocked the two new characters and now trying to unlock the SNES version of the music. Great game, btw!

DOMKTvD.jpg

Some loose Mega CD games (The Ninja Warriors, Dennin Aleste, Devastator) and Final Fight CD

0EKHyNC.jpg

Feels really nice to be playing Mega/Sega CD games again since my Sega CD 2 unit died on me a while back. All my ripped Sega CD game play without any problems on this thing. Expensive but well worth it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is the GameCube "retro" yet? Because I just fused two GameCubes together.

I had a working silver one with no digital AV port, and a black one with a bad drive but a DAV port and matching GameBoy Player. Twenty minutes later, I'd moved the drive from the silver one to the black one. So I now have a black GameCube with GBPlayer, Digital AV port, and third-party component video cables.

I feel bizarrely satisfied with myself for what was only slightly harder than swapping game cartridges.

Incidentally, removing the DAV port was NOT the only cost savings on the revised model 'Cubes. The space freed up by removing the port let them use cheaper capacitors than the tiny ones on the original board, they rerouted power to save about two inches of wire, there's the removal of a cut, fold, and polish step on the RF shield(since they don't need to open a hole for the DAV port, and in fact needed to NOT open that hole), and they changed the sticker on the bottom of the case to say "Made in China" instead of "Made in Japan".

On 11/5/2019 at 12:06 AM, JB0 said:

Is the GameCube "retro" yet? Because I just fused two GameCubes together.

I had a working silver one with no digital AV port, and a black one with a bad drive but a DAV port and matching GameBoy Player. Twenty minutes later, I'd moved the drive from the silver one to the black one. So I now have a black GameCube with GBPlayer, Digital AV port, and third-party component video cables.

I feel bizarrely satisfied with myself for what was only slightly harder than swapping game cartridges.

Incidentally, removing the DAV port was NOT the only cost savings on the revised model 'Cubes. The space freed up by removing the port let them use cheaper capacitors than the tiny ones on the original board, they rerouted power to save about two inches of wire, there's the removal of a cut, fold, and polish step on the RF shield(since they don't need to open a hole for the DAV port, and in fact needed to NOT open that hole), and they changed the sticker on the bottom of the case to say "Made in China" instead of "Made in Japan".

Thanks to this post, even though I'm in the middle of Dragon Quest XI, I had a hankering to play Metroid Prime.  Which in turn led to me updating Dolphin, which led to me digging through my collection of ISOs, which led to me screwing around on my PC all night.

3 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Thanks to this post, even though I'm in the middle of Dragon Quest XI, I had a hankering to play Metroid Prime.  Which in turn led to me updating Dolphin, which led to me digging through my collection of ISOs, which led to me screwing around on my PC all night.

/me laughs

I know how that goes all too well.

• 4 weeks later...