On 4/15/2019 at 11:35 PM, JB0 said:

That was fast.

I once again wonder at the point of preorders if it isn't to figure out how many copies need to be made to meet demand.

I think these days pre-orders are just for companies to announce that they have sold out of pre-orders on Twitter, Facebook, and everywhere else.

On 4/16/2019 at 1:22 AM, efisher said:

I totally missed it. Like JetJockey, I was hoping NCSX was going to have it for pre-order.

I fired off an email to them asking if they were going to sell it, but as usual they never respond to me. Oh well...

I looked at NCSX's past releases and I see a lot of figures and other things. Perhaps they are moving away from videogames. I think the last I purchased from them was the physical Resident Evil HD Remake Limited Edition.

On 4/16/2019 at 1:11 PM, davidwhangchoi said:

i just checked out NCSX, never knew about that site.

In the old days for me it was NCSX and Tronix. I think there might have been one other site where I was able to get a few other rare titles like Radiant Silvergun but I can't remember the name of the company.

That Capcom giant arcade stick doesn't interest me. I thought it would have a better selection of games. And more exciting artwork on the casing. I don't need a giant Capcom advertisement in my room. They could have gone crazy with Darkstalkers, Strider, and Street Fighter artwork. Or had removable casing with different artwork for each game. If they did that then I would get it with the current game selection as that would be cool.

10 hours ago, efisher said:

It feels real nice to play the original Sega Rally at 60fps, but too bad it doesn't have the remixed soundtrack and extra car the Sega Saturn version has.

I didn't know there WAS a Playstation version---only ever played the Saturn version.  (think I still have it) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2019 at 7:23 PM, David Hingtgen said:

I didn't know there WAS a Playstation version---only ever played the Saturn version.  (think I still have it) 

I didn't know or I just don't remember that version of Sega Rally either. I just have the Saturn version as well and Part 2 on I think Dreamcast.

On 5/1/2019 at 2:53 PM, Black Valkyrie said:

I would go for the music but I'm not sure I want another Shinobi game the way Sega is going. Sure Streets of Rage looks good. But the last Shinobi games weren't that great to me. I played I think the PS2 game and I remember never finishing it because you had to use the combination attack to beat the final boss. And to get to him you pretty much had to run the level perfectly before the time ran out. The sequel with the female ninja seemed to be the same. I think I rented both of those games.

The three Shinobi games on Genesis are great though. I still want to play the arcade version of Shadow Master as I believe they are a bit different. I only remember playing arcade Shadow Master in Las Vegas once. But the Genesis version has good music too. Especially that Statue of Liberty stage.

I remember some talk about Battle Garegga here. Limited Run just put this up for pre-order. I missed it myself. I need to keep an eye on their releases more.

857304817_BattleGareggalimitedrun.thumb.png.c54c1cd4c3f1402eaacf061f702ad9fc.png

Edited by JetJockey

On 5/17/2019 at 4:55 PM, Black Valkyrie said:

It’s interesting that we are seeing more of these physical re-releases of old carts, but I don’t really get the appeal of a re-release when the original is pretty common, like with Street Fighter 2. If it were a more rare title (Metal Storm) or an import (Holy Diver) then I think it makes a lot more sense. Especially when the prices are as high as they are for the re-releases.

On 5/18/2019 at 8:29 PM, ScrambledValkyrie said:

It’s interesting that we are seeing more of these physical re-releases of old carts, but I don’t really get the appeal of a re-release when the original is pretty common, like with Street Fighter 2. If it were a more rare title (Metal Storm) or an import (Holy Diver) then I think it makes a lot more sense. Especially when the prices are as high as they are for the re-releases.

Yeah and I thought the Genesis version of Earthworm Jim was the best version anyway. I still have the Sega CD version to check out as well.

I wouldn't go for re-releases of old carts so much as I would go for complete editions. Which I've seen very few versions. I'm not picking on Sega even though I think they are barely competent these days. But why not release complete versions of a series of their classic games? I'm still playing Super Hang-On on 3DS. And the 3D is cool. But if they released Hang-On and Super Hang-On on disc. Limited or not. With all the soundtracks. I'm still surprised that they didn't include the remixes on Super Hang-On 3DS as those are some great tracks. That would be something I'm interested in.

Not these mini systems with 90% or so of games that I already own and just the ability to play them on modern TVs.

I don't know how many people here backed Bloodstained Ritual of the Night on Kickstarter. It's kind of retro I guess as it's from the guy who produced the recent 2D Castlevania games and I think two of those so so kind of bad 3D ones. Anyway, I was pleased with the Bloodstained Kickstarter. I still am a bit. But there is some controversy that just started if you check the recent update and comments:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/posts/2515461

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/comments

Of course, they are hyping the normal release and pre-order for the game. Turns out the game will cost $39.99. And some people who backed it at $60 are upset. To make matters worse, the "exclusive backer-only content" as posted in the original campaign here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/description

Is no longer exclusive to backers as you can purchase it for $9.99. And even worse than that, the Kickstarter at $60 comes with a "Kickstarter exclusive slipcase" which hasn't been shown yet. However if you pre-order at Best Buy you can get a free steelbook. So some people are pissed because backers at $60 that helped make the game possible are most likely getting less for their money than the average consumer. No more exclusive content. And a steelbook that at best will be better than a slipcase unless they really surprise us.

For me, I always assume that the really popular Kickstarters will get normal releases anyway. And exclusive downloadable content will be in some kind of complete final re-release. So if I do Kickstarter, it's because I can get something special out of it that a normal release won't get. I wanted to help with this one after the mess at Konami as well. I backed at a bit higher level and I'm looking forward to the package. But almost as expected, we will only probably get just the game on launch day. All the other stuff still hasn't been shown and no ship date given yet. Yoshitaka Amano is working on a poster that was delayed as mentioned in that update post. But it wouldn't surprise me if they sell that separately in the future as well.

I think it might be time for a lot of people / consumers out there to stop promoting Kickstarters from big or even small to medium sized companies. These companies shouldn't be passing risk to consumers or using Kickstarter as a gauge for whether or not to release a product. I've read the excuses that backing on Kickstarter isn't the same as pre-ordering a product. But the majority of these Kickstarters that I've seen promise items for pledge amounts. They don't say if you give "x" amount you might or if you are lucky will get this item. I'm disgusted by that Saber Rider game Kickstarter, that luckily I didn't back as the people behind it have completely disappeared with the money without releasing the game at all.

We'll see how Bloodstained turns out. I hope the slipcase isn't some generic thing that says "Kickstarter exclusive" and hopefully the larger, more expensive packages are well done and displayable items.

1 hour ago, JetJockey said:

I think it might be time for a lot of people / consumers out there to stop promoting Kickstarters from big or even small to medium sized companies. These companies shouldn't be passing risk to consumers or using Kickstarter as a gauge for whether or not to release a product.

Why not? I mean, sure, I'd say it's pretty asinine if a big company like Capcom or Activision wanted to set up a Kickstarter for the next Resident Evil or Call of Duty. But videogames cost money to make. I doubt IGA was rolling in cash, and Way Forward and 505 Games were basically indie outfits. Isn't this sort of "I have an idea, but I need money to make it happen" passion project what Kickstarter is for?

2 hours ago, JetJockey said:

I've read the excuses that backing on Kickstarter isn't the same as pre-ordering a product.

Maybe because it's not an excuse, and it's really not the same as a pre-order? You're fronting the cash for the development of the game, which you've already noted means assuming the risk. Ideally because you believe in the project and want to see it come to fruition.

But the majority of these Kickstarters that I've seen promise items for pledge amounts. They don't say if you give "x" amount you might or if you are lucky will get this item.

Were items not promised here? Was there something you might have got that you didn't? If they said "back for x dollars and get this stuff" and you're getting the promised stuff then they held up their end.

Of course, they are hyping the normal release and pre-order for the game. Turns out the game will cost $39.99. And some people who backed it at $60 are upset.

They promised a copy of the game if you backed at $60, but they didn't promise the game would be $60. This goes back to what I said above. Kickstarter is NOT a pre-order. You're not buying the game at the retail price when you back it, you're pledging money toward the development of the game at whatever tier promises the goodies you like with no guarantee that any of it will actually come to fruition even if the project hits its funding goals. 

To make matters worse, the "exclusive backer-only content" as posted in the original campaign here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/description

Is no longer exclusive to backers as you can purchase it for $9.99.

It was my understanding that they asked their Kickstarter community about this before the decision was made and the majority responded favorably to the idea.

So if I do Kickstarter, it's because I can get something special out of it that a normal release won't get.

And that's really where the problem of Kickstarter lies. Kickstarter isn't a way to pre-order a game that entitles you to special treatment, but people have gotten used to thinking of it that way.

Near as I can figure, the Bloodstained backers are getting what they were promised at the levels they were promised.  They were never promised that the $60 they pledged would be the retail price because backing the game isn't the same as preordering, or that there would never be retailer incentives to actually preorder the game. The only thing that could be argued is a broken promise is making content explicitly described as "backer-only" available to non-backers, but it seems like they checked with backers first and most backers were ok with it.

6 hours ago, JetJockey said:

To make matters worse, the "exclusive backer-only content" as posted in the original campaign here:

Is no longer exclusive to backers as you can purchase it for $9.99. 

That decision was made by the backers. The overwhelming majority of backers that bothered to respond to the poll thought exclusive content is bullcrap and everyone deserves the swordwhip. (I voted that way, inoidentally)

7 hours ago, JetJockey said:

However if you pre-order at Best Buy you can get a free steelbook. 

And they've got a pile of those steelbooks available to backers, too. 

Some people are just never happy. 

15 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Why not? I mean, sure, I'd say it's pretty asinine if a big company like Capcom or Activision wanted to set up a Kickstarter for the next Resident Evil or Call of Duty. But videogames cost money to make. I doubt IGA was rolling in cash, and Way Forward and 505 Games were basically indie outfits. Isn't this sort of "I have an idea, but I need money to make it happen" passion project what Kickstarter is for?

Maybe because it's not an excuse, and it's really not the same as a pre-order? You're fronting the cash for the development of the game, which you've already noted means assuming the risk. Ideally because you believe in the project and want to see it come to fruition.

Were items not promised here? Was there something you might have got that you didn't? If they said "back for x dollars and get this stuff" and you're getting the promised stuff then they held up their end.

They promised a copy of the game if you backed at $60, but they didn't promise the game would be $60. This goes back to what I said above. Kickstarter is NOT a pre-order. You're not buying the game at the retail price when you back it, you're pledging money toward the development of the game at whatever tier promises the goodies you like with no guarantee that any of it will actually come to fruition even if the project hits its funding goals. 

It was my understanding that they asked their Kickstarter community about this before the decision was made and the majority responded favorably to the idea.

And that's really where the problem of Kickstarter lies. Kickstarter isn't a way to pre-order a game that entitles you to special treatment, but people have gotten used to thinking of it that way.

Near as I can figure, the Bloodstained backers are getting what they were promised at the levels they were promised.  They were never promised that the $60 they pledged would be the retail price because backing the game isn't the same as preordering, or that there would never be retailer incentives to actually preorder the game. The only thing that could be argued is a broken promise is making content explicitly described as "backer-only" available to non-backers, but it seems like they checked with backers first and most backers were ok with it.

10 hours ago, JB0 said:

That decision was made by the backers. The overwhelming majority of backers that bothered to respond to the poll thought exclusive content is bullcrap and everyone deserves the swordwhip. (I voted that way, inoidentally)

And they've got a pile of those steelbooks available to backers, too.

Some people are just never happy. 

I believe the Bloodstained project was because Konami didn't want to take the risk on another 2D Castlevania type game. Even though they are big enough and profitable to take that risk. I think they said something along the lines of no one wanted that type of game anymore. Same sort of story for that Mighty Number 9 project from the guy that was actually the top of Capcom's game department. If anyone was in the position to make that sort of game at Capcom it was him. That's why I thought his Kickstarter was bs and didn't back that one. And of course Shenmue even though Sega probably couldn't fully handle the cost of that one. I think this period might have been the top of game Kickstarter hype with each project out doing the next in terms of funding amounts.

I guess the thing is every single Kickstarter I've seen is setup like getting a product in exchange for money. Whether it's comics, books, games, toys, statues, etc. Even though they say pledge and not pre-order. People expect whatever item at the end of the time period and of course timely updates about the status of that project, which should not be too much to ask at all.

I think when the $60 pledge amount with extras is so close to current retail prices. You have to assume that the majority of people giving money will think that will be the retail game price as well.

From what I understand the poll about the exclusive content being available wasn't a backer only poll. I think the general public could take that poll as well. At least that's what I'm reading. I believe I took it but can barely remember it. But I'm sure I would have voted for the exclusive content to be released later. At the least as a timed exclusive for backers, say a month or so for backers to play before the general release, or in a complete edition released at a later date.

Also, you can tell things aren't right as supposedly the guy from that update mentioned how there is a $10 value for the stretch goal prequel mini game Curse of the Moon. But that game was a goal for a funding level and reward for the money coming in. Now it's being used as part of the $60 which just isn't right.

I guess I believe that if someone invests in a business or business project and is responsible for its success, then those people should be treated with respect and given something special in appreciation. If you invest in a restaurant and on opening day you aren't given a good seat, you are served late, and the food is cold. Then that isn't the way you treat someone responsible for your success. Yet if you see the average customer being served in a booth, quickly, and with hot food. Something is wrong with that picture.

Many of these game Kickstarters that I've seen show a priority to the general audience when the game releases. Like the people who Kickstarted aren't as important as the early reviewers, retailers, etc. But there wouldn't be a game without that Kickstarter. Still companies treat the Kickstarter as a way to get money and then go to a company with proof and say we got this much money and this many people, now you can support us the rest of the way. And of course that company will get the priority over the fans that Kickstarted the game to begin with.

With the steelbook, they are nice. I get a few on occasion. But my whole goal with Bloodstained is to have the signed version with the Ayami Kojima and Yoshitaka Amano artwork displayed. I don't see myself needing that steelbook as I bet Ayami Kojima's work will be better.

I hope they will show the slipcase artwork or even some work in progress concepts as soon as possible though. If they really go though with selling the 800 steelbooks to go around between 64,867 backers, that is not going to end well. It will be like Mondo posters and make matters even worse. They need to show that slipcase and make it embossed, shiny, or something special.

Edited by JetJockey

27 minutes ago, JetJockey said:

I believe the Bloodstained project was because Konami didn't want to take the risk on another 2D Castlevania type game. Even though they are big enough and profitable to take that risk. I think they said something along the lines of no one wanted that type of game anymore. Same sort of story for that Mighty Number 9 project from the guy that was actually the top of Capcom's game department. If anyone was in the position to make that sort of game at Capcom it was him. That's why I thought his Kickstarter was bs and didn't back that one. And of course Shenmue even though Sega probably couldn't fully handle the cost of that one. I think this period might have been the top of game Kickstarter hype with each project out doing the next in terms of funding amounts.

At the time of the Bloodstained kickstarter, Igarashi had no ties to Konami. He quit, likely because Konami didn't want to make games anymore.

Same for Inafune and MN9. He quit Capcom because he was sick of fighting to try and get something to happen. His bosses wouldn't let him do anything nice.

Shenmue DID strike me as rather dubious.

I do feel obliged to note that the game market in general was very different when Bloodstained's campaign started. The Wii U and Vita were viewed as viable gaming platforms, for one.

"Indie" games were looked down on, and the console manufacturers were starting to care about them, but they were very much second-class citizens. This is less true now, though the mass-market release was never going to be a sixty-dollar game. Essentially, everyone that "preordered" on Kickstarter placed a forty-dollar preorder and a twenty dollar(or MUCH more, and I salute you three crazy fools that pledged ten grand for a night on the town with Iga) contribution to the development fund.

At the time of the Kickstarter, there was never any chance of Bloodstained ever getting a digital disk release. It was going to be download-only outside of the kickstarter. It turns out a lot of things happen when you have five and a half million dollars in outside funding that won't otherwise. (It was also going to be out two years ago, because the goal was a simpler game.)

If you want to get mad about exclusive content, consider the folks that pledged for the limited autographed Amano print, They more than tripled the number of autographed prints available after the first ten "sold out". That struck me as dubious for something explicitly advertised as very limited availability

I pledged at the hundred-dollar level, incidentally.  Aside from backer-exclusive packaging, demo builds, "free" copies of Ritual of the Moon and the swordwhip expansion pack, I also get a keychain, pin, soundtrack CD, "retro cheatbook", and my name in the credits. Those physical objects are never going to be available to non-backers, not even through piracy.

I would have been more hesitant to chip in anything, and certainly not as much as I did, were it not for the talent associated with the project.

17 minutes ago, JB0 said:

At the time of the Bloodstained kickstarter, Igarashi had no ties to Konami. He quit, likely because Konami didn't want to make games anymore.

Same for Inafune and MN9. He quit Capcom because he was sick of fighting to try and get something to happen. His bosses wouldn't let him do anything nice.

Shenmue DID strike me as rather dubious.

I do feel obliged to note that the game market in general was very different when Bloodstained's campaign started. The Wii U and Vita were viewed as viable gaming platforms, for one.

"Indie" games were looked down on, and the console manufacturers were starting to care about them, but they were very much second-class citizens. This is less true now, though the mass-market release was never going to be a sixty-dollar game. Essentially, everyone that "preordered" on Kickstarter placed a forty-dollar preorder and a twenty dollar(or MUCH more, and I salute you three crazy fools that pledged ten grand for a night on the town with Iga) contribution to the development fund.

At the time of the Kickstarter, there was never any chance of Bloodstained ever getting a digital disk release. It was going to be download-only outside of the kickstarter. It turns out a lot of things happen when you have five and a half million dollars in outside funding that won't otherwise. (It was also going to be out two years ago, because the goal was a simpler game.)

If you want to get mad about exclusive content, consider the folks that pledged for the limited autographed Amano print, They more than tripled the number of autographed prints available after the first ten "sold out". That struck me as dubious for something explicitly advertised as very limited availability

I pledged at the hundred-dollar level, incidentally.  Aside from backer-exclusive packaging, demo builds, "free" copies of Ritual of the Moon and the swordwhip expansion pack, I also get a keychain, pin, soundtrack CD, "retro cheatbook", and my name in the credits. Those physical objects are never going to be available to non-backers, not even through piracy.

I would have been more hesitant to chip in anything, and certainly not as much as I did, were it not for the talent associated with the project.

I just remember a big mess at Konami with both the Metal Gear and Castlevania series back then. Funding Bloodstained was the least I could do to see if Iga could make a really good if not his ultimate game.

I'm not mad about the exclusive content really. But the situation isn't right. I read a few posts about how people might attempt a lawsuit. I'm just ready to see the stuff higher backers are supposed to receive. I don't want to hear about pre-orders and steelbooks. I backed at the signature level for pretty much the same reason. I've been playing the Castlevania games since the beginning.

Interesting but I bet the original games that the 198X ones are based on will still be better. Yozo Koshiro is listed in the music though so I might check that out for a listen.

13 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

i'll get this just for the side games 

This is really interesting as a meta-nostalgia experience.

I wonder if each of the individual games shown will actually be playable, I hope so.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone fund the R-Type Kickstarter?

I'm glad this was funded but I'm not a part of this one. It's the sort of Kickstarter that doesn't offer anything extra of real interest to get me to put in money. And I think I'm done with video game Kickstarters after Bloodstained. Also it doesn't seem to be pulling in a lot of money so I hope they have a good company behind them.

Speaking of Bloodstained, they finally showed a few items.

1772237391_bloodstainedslipcasesleeve1.JPG.354a2f8bbb3d2202643c47dffd254351.JPG

159762151_bloodstainedslipcasesleeve2.JPG.42907a9db4c1743f13fe6106bd5b0c47.JPG

278420032_bloodstainedshirt.jpg.2a1c6832dea91c682a28c7adf8e25e19.jpg

The Bloodstained exclusive slipcase looks better than the steelbook to me.

310132977_bloodstainedsteelbook.jpg.28560b81fb03d7ab1f86cc551cfb34ae.jpg

But I made those kind of drawings on black paper a lot in art class. Also, I can't believe they didn't or don't understand the difference between sleeve and slipcase though. As the "slipcase" image looks like a sleeve which some on Kickstarter are talking about. Although not all slipcases are high quality. The Macross Gold Book slipcase isn't the highest quality. I've seen many DVD / Blu-ray sleeves that are better quality than that Gold Book slipcase. Still I like what I'm seeing. Also, I think I might frame the t-shirt for display like sports jerseys if the character is cool enough in the game. They claim that the physical kickstarter items won't be sold so that's a good thing.

I'm looking forward to this week's update on more of the bonus items.

Edited by JetJockey

Bloodstained street date broken a week early.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/looks-like-bloodstained-is-already-being-sold-early-by-retailers-at-least-one-confirmed-selling-ps4-xbox-one-versions.122241/

People really need to stop calling people that put money on Kickstarters "backers." What they really are, are early investors. That is what you call a person that helps fund and start a project. I know the management of larger scale shipping most likely got these early copies to this retailer. But still the "backers" / investors should have these copies now. Or at best in the next few days before the release date next Tuesday. It's bad enough that they can't figure out how to get all the physical stuff to us at the same time. They are wasting their money doing multiple shipments. But then the money is probably coming from the general release anyway.

They did say they are working on a large day 1 patch for the game. So whoever is playing the game now is playing something that might not be fully complete. And I hate stuff like that as I like complete games that don't need patches. This whole situation is why I won't do Kickstarters for video games anymore. But we'll see what surprises are in store on Thursday. Hopefully they will show the signed collector's boxes.

Edited by JetJockey

Well, each region is getting their own variant, so in the US we'll get the black and more rectangular Turbo Grafx-16 mini.  And yeah, I'll probably pick it up.  Didn't have one as a kid and I have zero connection to the games, but at this point I have a NES Classic, a SNES Classic, PlayStation Mini, and I've got a Genesis mini preordered.

Apparently another reason to stop supporting video game Kickstarters is going on with Shenmue 3. I'm not a big fan of having a digital release when I can get a physical copy. But people thought the game would be on Steam but now it's going to the Epic Store as an exclusive instead. So far no refunds.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/shenmue-iii-is-timed-exclusive-to-epic-games-store-backers-pc-code-redeemed-on-egs-no-refund-see-threadmark-read-staff-posts-before-posting.122218/

It's almost comical that two of the biggest and popular video game Kickstarters are really attempting to make sure if they have to go back to Kickstarter they won't get the same amount of interest as they did the first time around.

On the positive side, I got my Bloodstained ship notice. So hopefully they will ship Friday given that the Post Office First Class or Priority Mail is in the 2 to 3 day range.

Edited by JetJockey