41 minutes ago, Black Valkyrie said:

Gley Lancer returns, I hope Gaiares is next. 

I’m not that familiar with the game, but that’s pretty cool that they would do a physical re-release. I wonder how hard this will be to get in the U.S.

As for Gaiares, that isn’t a very expensive game, so I don’t see as much of a need.

10 hours ago, JetJockey said:

The SNES Super R-Type is probably my favorite.

Personally, I like R-Type 3 and Δ best. Though all eventually run into my love/hate relationship with the series, where past a certain point the only way to progress is to already know what is going to happen.

11 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

Gley Lancer returns, I hope Gaiares is next. 

Put me in the list of those that have never heard of that one either. I still own Gaiares though. I believe I posted before where I'm still stuck. I'll search for more information on Gley Lancer this weekend. I might have to get that one.

24 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Personally, I like R-Type 3 and Δ best. Though all eventually run into my love/hate relationship with the series, where past a certain point the only way to progress is to already know what is going to happen.

I'll look into those. My overall favorite shooter is Axelay on SNES. I don't think anything will ever top that for me.

I would certainly not mind a cart of Gley Lancer. Moreso if they licensed the MIJET translation as well as the game itself.

Even more still if they added code to let you change satellite AI without a continue. Some AIs are completely unusable in some stages.

3 hours ago, JB0 said:

i love delta but hated III

cUhtf9xl.jpg

i beat it a few months ago but it was too much memory not much instinctual gameplay.

though delta has parts that needs to be memorized, i found it to have a nice balance with instinctual dodging gameplay.  

3 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

i beat it a few months ago but it was too much memory not much instinctual gameplay. 

That is where the /hate part of pretty much any R-Type game kicks in for me. The first few stages are good fun, and after that it is increasingly just memorizing where you died so you can avoid it the next time.

Still better than Gradius, though.

3 hours ago, JB0 said:

That is where the /hate part of pretty much any R-Type game kicks in for me. The first few stages are good fun, and after that it is increasingly just memorizing where you died so you can avoid it the next time.

Perhaps that's why I like Super R-Type so much in that is wasn't hard. I know I never finished R-Type in the arcade originally. The first level was easy. The second so so. I probably barely made it past the third level. And I never remember making past the fourth level. I know I had R-Type on the Sega Master System and never finished it as well.

With this R-Type talk has anyone played Pulstar? I can't remember if I mentioned it before. I think I mentioned Viewpoint. Pulstar is expensive on Neo Geo as it was only released in Japan. But it's a game I still kind of want to get. At least it's on my list. I liked the intro when I saw it back in the day.

Checking ebay I guess there are bootleg versions of Gley Lancer. If you guys pick up when the official re-release goes on sale post it here. I watched some gameplay and it looks pretty good.

Edited by JetJockey

1 hour ago, JetJockey said:

Perhaps that's why I like Super R-Type so much in that is wasn't hard.

Odd, I thought Super R-Type had a reputation for being exceptionally hard. I know they removed the mid-stage and boss checkpoints so any death sends you back to the start of the stage.

With this R-Type talk has anyone played Pulstar?

Yep! It is pretty cool.

I also love how it lifts the mechanical "pincers" from the R-Type stage 1 map and makes them actually move.

Checking ebay I guess there are bootleg versions of Gley Lancer.

There's bootlegs of just about everything, really. Especially games that command unusually high prices. It is an exceptionally large problem with GameBoy Advance games, but it hits a lot of systems.

One of the TurboCD games(Sapphire, I believe) was rather infamous for it. The bootlegs were very good reproductions, so it was hard to tell they weren't from the original production run unless you knew what you were looking for(slight color differences in the packaging, mostly). To make matters worse, the original game was pretty scarce, so you were far more likely to find a bootleg masquerading as an original copy.

It got to be enough of a problem that someone set up a page dedicated to demonstrating the differences.

13 hours ago, JB0 said:

Odd, I thought Super R-Type had a reputation for being exceptionally hard. I know they removed the mid-stage and boss checkpoints so any death sends you back to the start of the stage.

Yep! It is pretty cool.

I also love how it lifts the mechanical "pincers" from the R-Type stage 1 map and makes them actually move.

There's bootlegs of just about everything, really. Especially games that command unusually high prices. It is an exceptionally large problem with GameBoy Advance games, but it hits a lot of systems.

One of the TurboCD games(Sapphire, I believe) was rather infamous for it. The bootlegs were very good reproductions, so it was hard to tell they weren't from the original production run unless you knew what you were looking for(slight color differences in the packaging, mostly). To make matters worse, the original game was pretty scarce, so you were far more likely to find a bootleg masquerading as an original copy.

It got to be enough of a problem that someone set up a page dedicated to demonstrating the differences.

I played Super R-Type probably at the height of my shooter game skills. I'm playing Super Hang-On 3D on 3DS now and it's kicking my butt. I'm on the second to last difficulty but you can barely mess up to win and I used to beat the Genesis version easily.

Somewhere I read that Pulstar was a copy of R-Type, that's why I was curious. But these days you have to be careful with bootlegs and "reproductions." I've heard of them for some PC Engine games like Dracula X. But I'm not into that many rare and expensive older games. I'm always surprised how some games that I don't remember being that good go for a lot of money.

31 minutes ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Back in the day, I tried to track down a copy of Eliminate Down but I just couldn't afford the afrermarket prices for it.  I should not have given up because after playing a bit of it, I could say that it could rival the best shooters on the Mega Drive.

Never heard of that one. I'll check it out this weekend.

18 minutes ago, JB0 said:

That was fast.

I once again wonder at the point of preorders if it isn't to figure out how many copies need to be made to meet demand.

the print run was 2500 total, i think they allocated certain number to amazon jyp and shops in japan. (all of the shops sold out after one day) i missed amazon's orders so i quickly ordered from a shop in japan. https://www.kadenken.com/shop/shopdetail.html?brandcode=000000000893&search=&sort=

play asia opened up their pre-orders 4 days later and may get a smaller allocation or may be getting them from a 3rd party source.

2 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

Gley Lancer Pre-orders now sold out at play asia,  OOS everywhere. hopefully a few of you got in.  

I totally missed it. Like JetJockey, I was hoping NCSX was going to have it for pre-order.

I fired off an email to them asking if they were going to sell it, but as usual they never respond to me. Oh well...

2 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

I really wish they would have made this a digital release on the PC/PS4/Switch/Xbox One. I would've bought it on all four platforms for the simple fact that Ghouls 'n Ghosts is one of my all time favorite video games. Also it's one the few games I can still 1CC without any problems.

Come on Capcom. Don't let Ghouls 'n Ghosts legacy die like this.

Edited by efisher

5 minutes ago, efisher said:

I really wish they would have made this a digital release on the PC/PS4/Switch/Xbox One. I would've bought it on all four platforms for the simple fact that Ghouls 'n Ghosts is one of my all time favorite video games. Also it's one the few games I can still 1CC without any problems.

Come on Capcom. Don't let Ghouls 'n Ghosts legacy die like this.

Exactly.  Here I am waiting for old gen games to get official ports and online matchplay.

There's been more than a few classic games that were release for the PS3 gen that haven't been re-released for the current, PS4 gen.

I love Capcom's legacy.  Play SFV almost daily.  But man, current business decisions really try my patience.

3 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

At least they didn't call it blast processing. :lol:

Honestly, if I can be allowed to nerd out, I think they've confused the interlace toggle with mode 7. Or conflated them.

Interlace mode DOES double the vertical resolution and halve the frame rate. But it has nothing to do with mode 7 except that it can be enabled in that mode(as well as in modes 0-6) if the program commands it(few do). 

Also possible they confused the high-res feature, which doubles the HORIZONTAL resolution. That would make them completely wrong since high-res is modes 5 and 6. System behavior also implies interlace is only MEANT to be enabled in modes 5 and 6.

The biggest ACTUAL limitation of mode 7 is that it can only operate on one BG layer, and all other layers are disabled for any line drawn in mode 7.

(That's why the status bar disappears during the fight with King Koopa in Mario World, incidentally. It lets him fly into the top of the screen.)

Edit: Alternatively, I may be reading that backwards and they're saying that BG mode 7 was ugly to keep the frame rate up. Which is... well, completely untrue. The transformations are very rapid due to a significant amount of fixed-function hardware being thrown at the task. The Super Nintendo dedicates an appreciable portion of the PPUs specifically to manipulating mode 7 objects, hardware that sits idle in ALL OTHER MODES because it is useless.

Mode 7 is ugly because it is a 1024x1024 bitmap being manipulated for display through a 256x224 view window using low-cost late 80s silicon. They COULD have put in a TMS34010 in the system and gotten higher-quality output(and a much more versatile VDP), but it would've raised the price point significantly, as would including the RAM needed to use a higher-resolution bitmap(and they actually shipped the Super Nintendo with half the RAM it was designed for due to cost).

Edited by JB0

On 3/20/2019 at 12:54 PM, mikeszekely said:

I might be interested in the Castlevania one. Konami's being coy about what the other four games are (the four announced are Castlevania, Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, Super Castlevania IV, and Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge). A lot of fans are speculating Rondo of Blood it Symphony of the Night, but those two were already just packaged this past fall as Castlevania Requiem. My guess is that the other four will be Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, Castlevania: The Adventure, Castlevania Legends, and Castlevania: Bloodlines. I'd love to be wrong, though. I'll happily trade Simon's Quest and the Gameboy games for the GBA games, especially Aria of Sorrow.

You almost nailed it:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/18/18484715/castlevania-anniversary-collection-release-date-games

Just trade Legends for Kid Dracula, which I didn’t think actually counted as a Castlevania game.

2 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

You almost nailed it:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/18/18484715/castlevania-anniversary-collection-release-date-games

Just trade Legends for Kid Dracula, which I didn’t think actually counted as a Castlevania game.

And then trade the GB games for the GBA games.