Cool news about the PlayStation mini. As the first disk-based console to take this approach, I think it paves the way for more. I wonder if load times will be shorter since games will surely be on solid state form?

I was thinking back to my PS1 library, (which isn’t that extensive) and think that Gran Turismo should be on there as well as one of the Twisted Metal games. But I guess (like with Konami) it depends on who’s willing to license for it. 

22 minutes ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

Cool news about the PlayStation mini. As the first disk-based console to take this approach, I think it paves the way for more. I wonder if load times will be shorter since games will surely be on solid state form?

I was thinking back to my PS1 library, (which isn’t that extensive) and think that Gran Turismo should be on there as well as one of the Twisted Metal games. But I guess (like with Konami) it depends on who’s willing to license for it. 

As for loading, I'd imagine it would use the same kind of routines as found on the PS3 and Vita for DLC classic games.  It's been so long since I've had a real PS1 out, I can't say as I know what the original load times were like anymore.

As for Gran Turismo, on another forum someone observed that the mini comes with original style (not analog) controllers.  They said that eliminated Gran Turismo as a candidate since that game used analog control.  I didn't have that game back in the day and never bothered with the series as a whole, so I don't recall if it required the dual analog or not.

I put a ton of hours into Gran Turismo 2 back in the day. But even if we overlook the analog stick issue GT is a perfect example of a game where I'd rather play a sequel. Better car variety, more tracks, better physics, better graphics if I just play GT6 on the PS3 that's still hooked up in my entertainment center.

Edited by mikeszekely

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

Thinking about the PS1 games I had I fondly remember: Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve 2, Legacy of Kain, Resident Evil 2 as well as Final Fantasy 7/8/9. I wonder if any of these will make it into the PS1 classic. :)

Final Fantasy VII was already confirmed, I'm sure Ray Charles could have seen that one coming :). I too would like to know about Mature titles like Resident Evil II, I know the remake is on the way, but that PS1 classic is just that, a PS1 classic. Some form of classic fixed camera Capcom survival horror would be appreciated, hell, I'd take the HIGHLY underrated Dino Crisis 1 honestly.

I'm pretty sure I won't need a PS Classic. I still own most of the games I like. I'm sure there won't be any surprises. Plus I have a PS2 hooked up as well.

The Last Gamer finished his "World's Greatest Game Room." It is really the World's Greatest Game House though unless there is someone out there who is keeping their setup a secret.

I don't know how people could down vote this. I guess they are haters as people call them these days. This really is the 80s and 90s arcade. And this isn't his full collection either. I saw a photo of his storage area and he had multiple Virtua Racing Deluxe cabinets. Also, we were talking about Gradius here and he has Gradius V running on his PS2. But he does love the series. Amazing to see all those games and systems though. It's a real museum to video games.

As cool as that setup is, few could do that. There are tons of games that I just can't bring myself to own. I remember returning Sonic Adventure 2 the same or next day. Horrible game that I don't want around my collection. I'm not a full system or title collector. Or even rare game collector. I want to play Snatcher and Policenauts. But I had the chance to own Snatcher back in the day and never got it. I thought it was a Blade Runner ripoff.

Last Gamer has a Dragon's Lair machine. Sometimes I think about getting one. But then I might need Time Warp and Space Ace. However, I did get one of these signed prints and I think one day having it framed near copies of the console games might be good enough for me.

7 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night coming to PS4 next month.

Cool! I own both of the original versions and don’t have a PS4, so this isn’t for me, but always nice to see great titles like these given respect and exposure.

I wonder what they will look like emulated. And I’m assuming this is the original Rondo and not the remade version from the PSP?

11 minutes ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

Cool! I own both of the original versions and don’t have a PS4, so this isn’t for me, but always nice to see great titles like these given respect and exposure.

I wonder what they will look like emulated. And I’m assuming this is the original Rondo and not the remade version from the PSP?

The PSP remake, Dracula X Chronicles,  actually contained the original Rondo of Blood as a special feature(I believe it had to be unlocked). Also a port of Symphony of the Night(true port, rather than the PS1 emulation that was available as a standalone download).

I'd wager Symphony is based on the 360 port rather than an emulation of the PS1 version.  Easier to support modern features like achievements,  don't have to worry about the slow-witted being confused by references to memory cards,  and Maria mode comes in.

Emulating the Saturn version gets you Maria mode and removes memory card references, but adds a controller mismatch and it is harder to do than PS1 emulation. 

Cool.  

I have the PSP Dracula X Chronicles.  I wish that it was playable on the PS TV without a hack.

I have Symphony of the Night on multiple platforms: PSP, PS1, PS3, and I even think I have it on 360.  Of those only the PS3 is still hooked up.

I have Rondo of Blood on the Wii, but that system hasn't been hooked up in a while.

Still, I'll probably pick up this bundle for my PS4.  These are worth a second or fifth purchase.

So, I’ve been giving some thought to getting a PVM (not necessarily Sony) for my retro systems. For those that have done this already, what have you done as far as audio?

Knowing that PVM internal speakers are usually pretty bad, I’m thinking I’d want to get something external. I have a component switch that I run everything through, so I could theoretically take the stereo audio channels from that via RCA out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2018 at 1:28 PM, ScrambledValkyrie said:

So, I’ve been giving some thought to getting a PVM (not necessarily Sony) for my retro systems. For those that have done this already, what have you done as far as audio?

Knowing that PVM internal speakers are usually pretty bad, I’m thinking I’d want to get something external. I have a component switch that I run everything through, so I could theoretically take the stereo audio channels from that via RCA out.

There is an audio topic going on in the Resetera videogame section. Also the LastGamer reviewed the old Sega speakers he just picked up which I think he uses with his PVMs.

Have you decided on the type of speaker? Powered or if you will use a receiver?

I got Kokuga. Very old school and fun. The music is awesome too.

http://kokuga.net/index_e.html

Edited by JetJockey

Twinsticks made some moves much easier, but the controller was actually better for some options.  Really depended on which Virtuaroid you used.  

Still annoyed Kotobukiya never re-colored Fei-Yen Kn in RNA colors---it was molded to do so, they did a lot of extra parts-separation and multi-part molding that ONLY was needed for RNA colors---yet they only ever released DNA colors.  

I never got that Virtual On game back in the day. I heard it was good. But never tried it. I might this time around.

I never tried that mech game on Xbox with the big controller either. I saw on youtube once that you can skip all the startup stuff with the buttons. Still that seemed cool. I had issues with Xbox and didn't want to deal with any of their exclusive games. I still have to go back and play or finish a bunch of titles.

I have a NES Mini and a SNES mini but I have no desire to get a Playstation mini. I think playing Star Fox on the SNES Mini was such a painful reminder of the early adoption of 3D. The reason SNES and NES Minis work are the 2D games. The Playstation/Saturn years are the video game industry's "awkward" period. It's fun to revisit childhood, it's fun to revisit early adulthood, but I'm not going to pay for the opportunity to experience the awkward in-between stage. 

49 minutes ago, jenius said:

I have a NES Mini and a SNES mini but I have no desire to get a Playstation mini. I think playing Star Fox on the SNES Mini was such a painful reminder of the early adoption of 3D. The reason SNES and NES Minis work are the 2D games. The Playstation/Saturn years are the video game industry's "awkward" period. It's fun to revisit childhood, it's fun to revisit early adulthood, but I'm not going to pay for the opportunity to experience the awkward in-between stage. 

I agree with everything you're saying.  I think that gamers aren't really as nostalgic for the PlayStation era as they are for the NES and SNES eras.

The case for the PS Mini isn't helped by the omission of some really fantastic PlayStation games like Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon... ok, a ton of great JPRGs, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, PaRappa The Rapper, Ape Escape, Ace Combat 2, Mega Man X4, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Gran Turismo 2, WipeOut XL... the list goes on.  Plus it comes with the original PlayStation controllers, not the DualShock.  With just the 20 included games, half of which I doubt aged well, and no DualShock, and a price tag $20 over the SNES mini, I'm not sure the value is there, either.

1 hour ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

I almost let this one slip under the radar: 1/32 transformable Night Striker!

I never played that game. I might have to check out the soundtrack though.

1 hour ago, jenius said:

Nothing on the PlayStation mini for me that I don't already have. I'm waiting on the Final Fantasy 7 remake like many as well. I would assume most gamers still have Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, and Ridge Racer.

I do still like Star Fox. That is one of the best old 3D games. Many were rough and the true gems from that period still stand out. I'm sure people would go crazy for a Panzer Dragoon trilogy release. Or even a Saturn mini with those three games. Although I still have them myself.

Edited by JetJockey

On the upside, whenever the PS Mini does get cracked, it is going to be carrying a much more powerful little ARM-in-a-box than the MiNES and Super MiNES did(they had to cut a lot of corners on the Super Nintendo emulation since it used the same hardware as the MiNES and wasn't actually powerful enough to do the job right).

I went through like 2 or 3 original PlayStations. I never even thought about keeping it after all that. The last one I had modded to play Japanese games because back then we thought Castlevania wouldn't come out over here. In the end, I remember having to do the stupid turn the system over trick to get the games to load. Of course Microsoft tried to use that excuse when the Xbox and 360 were scratching and tearing up games.

I was happy when the PS2 was backwards compatible and looked far better and futuristic compared to the original PlayStation. I still have an original PS2 and a final model.

Edited by JetJockey

I had two PlayStations.  I had the one I got for Christmas the year SotN came out (the last console my parents ever got for me).  I didn't have a modchip, but I did have one of those game cheat devices that plugged into the I/O port on the back.  You had to trick the PlayStation into thinking the lid was closed (I cut a Q-tip and wedged it in so it pressed down on the latch and you could use the cheat device and a disc swap to play Japanese PlayStation games.  The second PlayStation I got was one of the smaller PSone consoles I'd picked up so I could play games in my girlfriend's dorm while she was in class.  I don't have either of them anymore; as a poor college kid/poor newly-minted college grad I sold off a lot of my old gaming stuff to fund purchases of newer gaming stuff.  Oldest systems I still have are a Dreamcast and a modded original-model PS2.

Still have a Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and 3DS though.

7 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

I'm considering the PS Mini mostly for the Macross games. VF-X, VF-X2, Macross Plus and DYRL. 

It's running PCSX so why not skip the middleman and download the emulator? You don't need a very powerful computer to run it and you won't have to wait for someone to crack the PS Mini.

59 minutes ago, dizman said:

It's running PCSX so why not skip the middleman and download the emulator? You don't need a very powerful computer to run it and you won't have to wait for someone to crack the PS Mini.

Because I hate connecting the computer to the TV, and I like the whole concept of Retro consoles, specially the ones I didn't have. I'm guessing the PS Mini will be easily hacked, so I shouldn't have to wait too long for that. 

If video game companies develop devices that are appealing to us nostalgic enthusiasts, why not pay for them? 

3 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Because I hate connecting the computer to the TV, and I like the whole concept of Retro consoles, specially the ones I didn't have. I'm guessing the PS Mini will be easily hacked, so I shouldn't have to wait too long for that. 

If video game companies develop devices that are appealing to us nostalgic enthusiasts, why not pay for them? 

Fair enough and as long as it's easily available and you don't have to pay scalper prices like with the NES and SNES Mini then more power to ya. Yeah I'd assume it won't take too long for someone to crack the PS Mini.

Edited by dizman