I swung by Gamestop today and grabbed a NES Classic. I have the SNES Classic but haven't played it much... I've been too addicted to Breath of the Wild. Once I'm done BotW though I plan on starting over at the beginning.

Well, after spending the better part of my day messing around with the NES Classic, I have some thoughts.  And while it technically released first, I feel like it's impossible to talk about it now without talking about the SNES Classic.

LIKE!

-The design of the console.  Outside of Japan, the NES is probably Nintendo's most iconic product to this very day, and I love seeing it in this tiny form.  While the two-tone grays and vented side definitely have a strong '80s vibe, I honestly feel like the NES's design has held up better than the SNES's, especially the oddly blocky purple-accented one we got in the States.  Plus there's the fact that you don't have to open a door the original console didn't have with molded fake controller ports to get to the real ones, because the SNES Classic's are right where they should be.

-The interface.  Technically, aside from different music and different backgrounds it's basically the same as the SNES Classic's.  You scroll left or right through the games, with the name at the top and the box art front and center, and hitting the reset button in a game takes you back to the menu with a little image of the screen you were on with wings on it.  Pressing down shows you the save state slots for that game, and each game gets four.

-The price.  $60 seems like it'd be a fair price if you took the same games, slapped them on a Switch card, and called it something like "NES Greatest Hits" (it'd be less than buying them all through the Wii/Wii U/3DS Virtual Console), but here you're also getting the hardware to play it on.  It's true that the SNES Classic gives you two controllers and only retails for $20 more, but for some reason my brain has been trained to think of $60 as an impulse purchase and $80 as a major purchase.

-The packaging.  Nintendo took care to make the box look as much like the NES packaging from the '80s as possible (just like the SNES Classic's box looked like the '90s SNES packaging).  Little touches like that really take me back to my childhood.

-Very easy to modify.  All you need is a little Windows app that'll walk you through the process, and it's very difficult to brick the NES Classic while doing so.  For whatever reason, Nintendo crammed way more memory into the NES Classic than you'd even need (more than the SNES Classic has, even).  You use the same tool for the SNES Classic, so if you've already modded that you should know what you're in for.

-The controller ports are the same as the Wiimote expansion ports.  You take a minor hit to the authenticity of the design, sure, but what you get in return is the ability to use other controllers, like the Wii Classic Pad or some of those off-brand Gamecube-style controllers.  Handy if you have some of those lying around and don't want to spring for another controller.

DON'T LIKE!

-The controller cord.  I get that the reset button is needed to get back to the menu, and I think Nintendo expected users would sit near the console (the Famicom Mini's controllers are tethered to the console, just like the original).  Maybe it's a cultural difference; I think it's safe to assume the average Japanese domicile is a lot smaller than the average American one, and I'd venture that Americans are probably more inclined to sit further away from a larger TV.  The controller cord is a mere 2.5 feet long, which means you really have to sit right next to the console unless you buy a third party controller or some extension cables.

-No way to go home except the reset button.  The SNES Classic allowed you to hit Select + Down to get back to the home screen, but that doesn't work on the NES Classic.  Unless you use a third party controller with a Home button (or modify the console) you really have to hit the button on the console.

-No Zapper games.  Yeah, Nintendo would have had to include a Zapper (which probably wouldn't fly in today's world as easily as it did in the '80s), and it'd probably be impossible to get them to work on a modern LCD TV, but how can you truly recreate the NES experience without Duck Hunt?

MIXED

-The game selection.  Don't get me wrong, most of the games here would make just about any "best of the NES" list... but probably not "best 30" or even "best 50."  I mean, Castlevania II over Castlvania III?  Mega Man 2 was probably the right call if you could only have one Mega Man game, but if you can have two Castlevanias and all the Marios I feel like Mega Man 3 at least deserved a spot on the roster.  Plus not TMNT, no Battletoads, no Dragon Warrior, and no River City Ransom.  The last one is especially frustrating because the Famicom Mini did contain the Japanese version, Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari.  And sure, we couldn't have all the games we wanted, but I'd have gladly traded Ballon Fight, Mario Bros (not the Super ones), or Excitebike for any of those other games.  I mean, the SNES Classic had fewer games, but by comparison I feel like basically everything on the SNES Classic was a must-have game, and I don't think it had any omissions as glaring as the NES Classic (with the giant exception being Chrono Trigger).  Fortunately you can put whatever games you want on it after modding it.  There's enough room for the entire NES library with room for the entire PAL NES library, Famicom library, and Famicon Disk System library left over.

-NES games haven't all aged gracefully.  The NES was born in an era when arcades were still big.  A lot of the NES's library were ports of the popular arcade games, and even the ones that weren't were still heavily influenced by arcade design.  That means some games with point except to try to get a high score before you run out of lives.  Games that can be played from start to finish in under an hour.  And games that tried to keep you playing longer with a brutal difficulty, cheap instant deaths, limited lives, and limited continues that forced you to play games over and over, hoping to get a little further every time.  I can still play the Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros 3, or Mega Man 2 and have as much fun now as I did in the '80s, but games like Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania quickly get to a point where they're more frustrating than fun (I specificially gave up on Castlevania after beating The Creature (aka Frankenstein).  Modding the console and adding more games exacerbates this issue.  I mean, while I can add stuff I'd definitely play like the TMNT games, the other Mega Mans, Batman, Battletoads, Dragon Warrior, etc, for every one of those there's probably at least five that I liked as a kid that I can't really get into now and 20 that were crap even back then.

-Authentic controller.  I actually have an original NES controller laying around (although the NES itself was gutted and turned into a PC case), and the NES Classic's controller is extremely close in size and overall feel to the original.  Playing Mega Man or Super Mario with a near perfect replica of the controller I used to play those same games back when we use "playing Nintendo" interchangably with "playing videogames" and referred to those games as "Nintendo tapes" feels right in a way that playing them on Nestopia on my PC with an Xbox controller never will.  So why put this in the "Mixed" list?  At the end of the day, the NES controller was still designed for child hands with very little consideration for ergonomics, and if I take my nostalgia goggles off the NES controller isn't all that comfortable to by adult hands for long play sessions.

If I were stuck on a desert island and could only have one minature retro console I'd probably tell you that I prefer the SNES Classic.  The games on it stand to this day as some of the best ever made.  The NES Classic definitely has great and hugely influential games, but probably haven't aged as gracefully.  Still, nostalgia is a powerful thing, and for a mere $60 there's enough here that I think you'll get your money's worth even if you don't mod it to add more games.  And if you do mod it, then you've got yourself a palm-sized, highly portable NES that you can hook up to a modern TV and play any and all the NES games you'd ever want with an actual NES controller.  Honestly, I'd love for Nintendo to do an N64 Classic, a Gamecube Classic, a Gameboy Classic, and a Gameboy Advance Classic before they stop.  (I'd kill for a Genesis Classic, too, but it'd have to be a lot better than the junk At Games puts out).

28 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

-The controller cord.  I get that the reset button is needed to get back to the menu, and I think Nintendo expected users would sit near the console (the Famicom Mini's controllers are tethered to the console, just like the original).  Maybe it's a cultural difference; I think it's safe to assume the average Japanese domicile is a lot smaller than the average American one, and I'd venture that Americans are probably more inclined to sit further away from a larger TV.  The controller cord is a mere 2.5 feet long, which means you really have to sit right next to the console unless you buy a third party controller or some extension cables.

This isn't inherently a residence size thing. Look at the Atari era systems and you see the same issue of very short controller cords... and INCREDIBLY long RF cables. The idea was that you would bring the system out to where you were playing, and put it back when you were done.  This made sense for dedicated Pong units and the earliest programmables(like the venerable Atari VCS), because the console contained important controls.

But it was a hopelessly dated approach even pre-crash. The Intellivision, 5200, and Colecovision all moved every function to the controllers. The console had nothing but power and MAYBE a reset switch(and not "reset starts the game" like the VCS). There was no reason for the console to come out, but they hadn't yet REALIZED it. So all three systems had very short cables.

And really, Nintendo in the west figured it out accidentally. They redesigned the Famicom to look like a VCR and sit on a shelf in the entertainment center to get around the "video games are a dead fad" stigma, not because they suddenly realized the system didn't actually need to move.

Got mine over a year ago , of course I installed more into games it from NES, Famicom, GB, GBC, PCE & Genesis/ Mega Drive , that requires only Two buttons.  Even managed to install N64 games but it requires an analog pad, the only N64 game that can be played by the D button is Star Soldier – Vanishing Earth.

I’ve tried so many times, since the beginning of the year to install the arcade roms, I followed every instructions in the net  but no luck.

1 hour ago, Black Valkyrie said:

Got mine over a year ago , of course I installed more into games it from NES, Famicom, GB, GBC, PCE & Genesis/ Mega Drive , that requires only Two buttons.  Even managed to install N64 games but it requires an analog pad, the only N64 game that can be played by the D button is Star Soldier – Vanishing Earth.

I’ve tried so many times, since the beginning of the year to install the arcade roms, I followed every instructions in the net  but no luck.

Ah, you installed Retroarch, then? Personally I'm sticking with the stock emulator and using the NES classic for just NES (same with SNES classic). I built a PC in an old NES and bought a NES30 Pro controller for it, and I don't even mess with it because I have an Nvidia Shield in my living room with my roms on a 128GB USB drive.

I got a NES Classic as well. Since I never had a NES as a kid this is a whole new experience to me. One of my friends had one (his mom actually) but they had few games.

The SNES is the system I grew up with and to me it is the pinnacle of sprite based game systems. That is why so many games are still highly enjoyable today and it has the best game of all times: Chrono Trigger. 

That said I welcome the chance to play some predecessors of my favorite games of all times like Metroid and Zelda. 

So I wasted no time and booted up Zelda 1 which is an interesting experience. I already completed one dungeon and at the moment I'm in dungeon 3 (skipping dungeon 2 because I have no idea where what is) trying to complete it.

I had to start anew an hour in because I though the Retry option on the game over screen meant I could retry the same screen again but it reseted the whole game. Maybe not the wost accident because I used up all my Rupees firing arrows like a mad man thinking I got infinite ammunition. Fun times :)

I should probably go back and search dungeon 2 and farm some Rupees because I need to buy a shield (that is hopefully not the shield I already have), a orb with an unknown function and a piece of meat that hopefully does more than restore my current health. :p

I also need to find out how I can decide if a wall is bomb-able or not... probably try and error. :D 

Edited by Scyla

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

So I wasted no time and booted up Zelda 1 which is an interesting experience. I already completed one dungeon and at the moment I'm in dungeon 3 (skipping dungeon 2 because I have no idea where what is) trying to complete it.

That's funny, because I usually start with dungeon 2.  I think it's the easiest, the Ropers tend to drop a lot of money, and you get probably the most useful item in the game (magic boomerang).

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

I need to buy a shield (that is hopefully not the shield I already have)

Did you already buy a shield?  There's only two in the first Zelda; the one you start with and can't loose, and a larger one that can block Zora fireballs.  Depending on the shops, it should cost around 90 Rupees.  Just be careful, there are enemies later in the game that will eat that shield.

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

a orb with an unknown function

Trying to think of what that could be.  Bombs?  The Blue Ring?

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

and a piece of meat that hopefully does more than restore my current health.

Yeah, it doesn't even restore your health.  It has one and only one use, and localization quirks made it extremely cryptic, so I'll just say that you need to give it to the hungry guy in one of the dungeons, and that maybe a hungry guy would grumble about it...

There are red and blue potions that will refill your health (red you can use twice, blue once- don't waste money on blue!).  But you need to find an old guy who will give you a letter first.

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

I also need to find out how I can decide if a wall is bomb-able or not... probably try and error.

Yeah, pretty much.

Best advice I can give you is to head right from the start, through a few screens with tektites (jumping spider guys that tend to drop money).  Turn north when the Zoras start shooting fireballs at you, and kill some blue moblins.  That will let you stock up on some money and bombs.  Forget about shields, use the money to buy a red candle.  Then take some time to explore the overworld.  Burn bushes everywhere (the red candle only works once on a screen, but if you leave the screen and come back you can use it again).  Bomb overworld rock walls if they look a little flat, and try to push statutes and boulders.  With just bombs and the red candle you should be able to find two heart containers.  Then head north and look for a lake with a blue lynel hanging around.  With five total hearts you can get the White Sword (something the game doesn't really tell you) and that'll let you kill the slime enemies in dungeon 3 without them splitting apart.  And that's good, because the big slimes drop a lot of money, but the little ones won't drop anything.

Remember also that due to programming limitations you can only carry 255 rupees.  After buying the red candle prioritize a shield and then save up until you hit that maximum.  Then look for the one and only shop that sells the Blue Ring.

So interesting thinking of someone experiencing the first Zelda for the first time now in 2018... I remember buying my copy in the fall of 1987 (still have it CIB) and figuring out what to do. The manual was helpful with learning what each item did. Wait for the second quest -- that's when the game really takes the gloves off, as they say.

Speaking of original carts, I've probably got copies of most of what's on the NES and SNES classics (or at least most of the better ones). Combine those with the original consoles and a CRT I picked up recently, and I don't have much desire to get the Classic editions, except more as a fascination. They're definitely a good deal for what they are, and a handy way to play via HDMI.

1 hour ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

So interesting thinking of someone experiencing the first Zelda for the first time now in 2018... I remember buying my copy in the fall of 1987 (still have it CIB) and figuring out what to do. The manual was helpful with learning what each item did. Wait for the second quest -- that's when the game really takes the gloves off, as they say.

Speaking of original carts, I've probably got copies of most of what's on the NES and SNES classics (or at least most of the better ones). Combine those with the original consoles and a CRT I picked up recently, and I don't have much desire to get the Classic editions, except more as a fascination. They're definitely a good deal for what they are, and a handy way to play via HDMI.

Although the NES and SNES pretty much combine to form my childhood, I sadly didn't retain any of the stuff I had from them.  I'm not exactly sure what happened to my old NES; I do recall giving my original copy of Zelda to the daughter of one of my mom's work friends, but beyond that I couldn't say.

As for my old SNES, I can tell you exactly what happened to that- my brother got it.  He'd gotten his girlfriend pregnant, and basically decided to get married and move out immediately after graduating high school.  As this would be summer of 2000 I personally was more into the PlayStation.  Since we jointly owned both consoles and my brother was playing through Pokemon Blue on the Super Gameboy I suggested he take the SNES, I'd keep the PlayStation, and we'd call it even.  I'm pretty sure my brother would have sold the SNES long ago (to be fair, I don't have our old PlayStation either, but I do still have my Dreamcast, PS2, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One).

As cool as I think it'd be to own the original consoles and cartridges, I have one 20" mono CRT in storage and no room to hook it or the consoles up, and no room for a collection of cartridges, plus some of those SNES Classic cartridges are pretty expesnive today.  The Classic systems offer a nostalgic charm in a smaller package that I can easily connect to a modern TV and still play with the (nearly) the original controller.  That's maybe not as genuine as popping the carts (after blowing on them for the NES) into a system connected to a CRT via RF adapter, but it's closer than playing an emulator on my PC/3DS Virtual Console/Wii Virtual Console/Wii U Virtual Console, so I'm pretty content.

5 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

The NES/ SNES Classic looks much nicer in small size, remember the PC Engine.  Anyone managed to install Arcade roms into the NES/ SNES classic ?  

It should be possible, if you install Retroarch with a MAME core. I'm sticking with the default emulators and just NES roms on the NES Classic and SNES roms on the SNES Classic, though, so I don't know more than that. If more hackable Classic/mini consoles come out I'll buy them and load then with games for that system, but I've got more than enough devices that can run multiple emulators that I don't feel a need to put Genesis roms ok a SNES Classic or anything like that.

4 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

Did a couple of times before, it doesn't feel right but the only other roms I install is the GBA.   

I love me some GBA (I'm seriously playing Circle of the Moon right now), but so far I'm still using my Shield for it. Is setting up Retroarch on the minis very complicated? My Snes Classic is full lot Snes games, but a dedicated GBA box might be the excuse I need to get a European Snes mini or a Super Famicom mini...

5 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

. Is setting up Retroarch on the minis very complicated? My Snes Classic is full lot Snes games, but a dedicated GBA box might be the excuse I need to get a European Snes mini or a Super Famicom mini...

No, there are a lot of Retroarch set up videos on You Tube.  Get the SNES mini EU, the SFC mini is awesome but Japanese only, no multi language settings. 

1 hour ago, Black Valkyrie said:

Get the SNES mini EU, the SFC mini is awesome but Japanese only, no multi language settings. 

Haven't really shopped around, but a quick check on Amazon and the EU SNES Mini is around $15 more than than the SFC Mini.  I looked at some reviews of the SFC Mini and I can read the Japanese in the menus ok (heck, 90% of it is katakana), so I don't think I need English enough to pay $15 for it.  It's not like I'll be playing the default games anyway; I'll use the SNES Classic for SNES games.  If I buy the SFC Mini it'll be 99% just to hakchi Retroarch and my GBA library onto it.  (The other 1% is because the SFC and SFC mini have some of the most amazing box art ever).

EDIT: I have no willpower, and my SFC Mini will arrive Tuesday...

Edited by mikeszekely

We haven't heard beans about the N64 Classic since the rumors started popping up in late May, but it based on some trademark filings it seems like a Gamecube Classic could be in the works, too.

Me, I'm down.  I didn't play a ton of Gamecube games, but I played it a lot more than the Wii or Wii U, and it's probably the oldest Nintendo console that feels retro to me.

5 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

We haven't heard beans about the N64 Classic since the rumors started popping up in late May, but it based on some trademark filings it seems like a Gamecube Classic could be in the works, too.

Me, I'm down.  I didn't play a ton of Gamecube games, but I played it a lot more than the Wii or Wii U, and it's probably the oldest Nintendo console that feels retro to me.

The GC is more worth it, back in the days I had the N64 for a short while and gave it away cuz I was still playing with the SNES and still I prefer it over the N64.  

12 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

The GC is more worth it, back in the days I had the N64 for a short while and gave it away cuz I was still playing with the SNES and still I prefer it over the N64.  

It's a tough call for me. I definitely enjoyed more GameCube games than N64 games, but I think the handful of games I liked for the N64 were more memorable for me.

Well, if Nintendo keeps pumping out retro mini consoles, and they keep making them easy to add roms to, I guess I'll keep buying them.

Speaking of, my Super Famicom Mini arrived. To save money I bought one listed as used, very good condition on Amazon. Huge bummer- no box or manuals. Oh well, still got both controllers and the cables, and the console itself is in fine shape. In fact, aside from mixing the box and manual it looked unplayed. Hooked it up and played enough Star Fox to unlock Star Fox 2, everything seems fine. Now I'm ordering a case, a wireless 8bitdo controller, a 64GB flash drive, and an OTG adapter (the last two in case hakchi doesn't compress GBA games enough for me to cram them all in).

14 minutes ago, JetJockey said:

F-Zero on the GameCube alone is worth it. After all these years, that is still probably the best futuristic racing game.

I like F-Zero, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Wipeout series.

5 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Really? I sold or traded Wipeout on the original Playstation. The design and music was kind of good but I hated the feel of the game and how your car would just come to a dead stop if it hit a wall. I do want to try the VR Wipeout though.

But SNES and Gamecube F-Zero can't be touched for me. If I could list my top racing games those F-Zero titles would be there along with OutRun, Daytona USA, Mario Kart SNES, and Sega Rally. Perhaps a few others. I have a fondness for Super Hang-On but I haven't played that in a while. I'm going to try it in 3D on the 3DS soon. But I listen to the arranged tracks a lot.

13 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I like Redout, because I can play it in VR. 

F-Zero GX is pretty darn fun, though. I'd say it is a bit of a different flavor than Wipeout, so it doesn't really feel like an apples-to-apples comparison.

7 hours ago, JetJockey said:

Really? I sold or traded Wipeout on the original Playstation. The design and music was kind of good but I hated the feel of the game and how your car would just come to a dead stop if it hit a wall.

The first Wipeout was almost like a prototype. The physics and track design were greatly improved for the sequel almost to the same degree that Ace Combat 2 was an improvement on Air Combat.

I don't mean to take anything away from F-Zero. I like the series and I'd be mad if the didn't include it on a GC Classic. But I've probably spent more time playing Wipeout XL (or 2097, depending on where you live) than all the F-Zero games combined.

On 7/11/2018 at 9:49 AM, mikeszekely said:

The first Wipeout was almost like a prototype. The physics and track design were greatly improved for the sequel almost to the same degree that Ace Combat 2 was an improvement on Air Combat.

I don't mean to take anything away from F-Zero. I like the series and I'd be mad if the didn't include it on a GC Classic. But I've probably spent more time playing Wipeout XL (or 2097, depending on where you live) than all the F-Zero games combined.

I'll see how Wipeout is when I play the new VR version. Ace Combat 2 is a good game. I've only passed up a few games in that series. I think I sold or traded the original game. Many of those original Playstation games were rough. I know I don't have Toshinden and a few others anymore either.

Thanks for the Zelda tips Mike. I made some process in the game and I'm now in dungeon 5 where I have a hard time with the blue Darknuts. Haven't found a strategy that works well against them. I'm probably not patient enough which is funny since that is my issue with this enemy in every Zelda iteration. ^_^ 

Yeah, the orb looking thingy was the blue ring and I also found the white sword. No second sword upgrade yet. 

I also bought a second NES Mini controller today. Not sure if I will need it in the near future but It is nice to have I guess. :p

Edited by Scyla

So, the best tip I can give for the Darknuts is to stand in the doorway. There's a point where you're in far enough that they can't reach you, but not so far you leave the room. Wait for them to walk by, run out and stab, then run back to the doorway.

Haven't spent a lot of time with my NES classic, though. I'm waiting for the 8bitdo controller, and I just finished setting up my Super Famicom mini. I removed the original games, installed Retroarch, and I picked up an OTG adapter with that can handle power pass through so I could stick a tiny USB drive into the back, then filled it with Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and Gameboy Advance games. Now I'm replaying the Castlevania games.

1 hour ago, danth said:

Anyone else have problems with the NES Classic controller and Ghosts n' Goblins? Mine has an issue where the guy just gets stuck while running. If I swap to an SNES controller the problem goes away.

I just got mine out and checked; aside from not even being able to clear the first level everything works fine.  Are you having any trouble with any other games?  Maybe a bad controller?

1 hour ago, Tking22 said:

If the N64 Classic is a thing and doesn't include Conker's Bad Fur Day then I'm passing, that game caught more playtime then anything else released on the N64 for me personally, just a perfect unforgettable game.

It almost certainly won't.  I think Microsoft owns it (and Perfect Dark, and I think Jet Force Gemini).  While we're at it, I'd wager licensing issues preventing Goldeneye from being included, too.

But, unless Nintendo beefs up the security on the Linux OS that their mini consoles run on, it'll probably be super easy to add your own games to it.

13 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

It almost certainly won't.  I think Microsoft owns it (and Perfect Dark, and I think Jet Force Gemini).  While we're at it, I'd wager licensing issues preventing Goldeneye from being included, too.

But, unless Nintendo beefs up the security on the Linux OS that their mini consoles run on, it'll probably be super easy to add your own games to it.

Oh yeah, zero chance, Microsoft bought Rare long ago, and long ago they apparently decided to do frakk all with them, such a waste. I was just joking, the N64 classic will just be full of Nintendo classics like the SNES and NES classic, I just REALLY loved Conker's Bad Fur Day. I'm definitely in for one, I plan on collecting each of the Nintendo Classic mini consoles, they are pretty damn fun, and yes indeed, easy to modify.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...