Anyone have any thoughts on if now would be the best, or worst, possible time to sell my SNES and games?

Note:  my collection is almost purely MIB, so I figure "those who solely want to PLAY the game" will be satisfied with the SNES mini, and/or old rental copies etc (or even emulators).   But if you're a MIB cartridge collector---the SNES mini won't "fill in any holes".     

6 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Anyone have any thoughts on if now would be the best, or worst, possible time to sell my SNES and games?

Note:  my collection is almost purely MIB, so I figure "those who solely want to PLAY the game" will be satisfied with the SNES mini, and/or old rental copies etc (or even emulators).   But if you're a MIB cartridge collector---the SNES mini won't "fill in any holes".     

Did you ever sell that other time?

I kind of agree with you on the SNES classic being available versus boxed collectors. But check past eBay sold auctions to be sure. You never know.

On 9/24/2017 at 7:24 PM, David Hingtgen said:

I really don't think the SNES mini will have much impact on sales of the original carts, especially CIB/MIB copies. It certainly could help to build general interest and awareness of the console. But what you have is going to appeal more to the collector (as you say) than to those who just want to play the games. I kinda straddle the fence between collector and player; most of my retro collection (and all my SNES collection) is loose carts, but I do still like to have carts that are in nice shape. 

Regarding timing, I have definitely seen a "correction" in the market over the last year or so. Prices of more common loose carts have been falling back down somewhat, while the rarer ones hold their ground or climb higher. It seems that this trend has not impacted CIB copies as much, if at all. It seems that if anything, prices of boxed copies continue to rise. So my opinion would be that now is a good time to sell. You could possibly get more if you wait another year, but you don't want that "correction" to potentially start affecting your boxed copies.

Just my opinion, of course.

10 hours ago, Scyla said:

Got notice today that the shop I preordered the SNES mini won't be able to fulfill it. Not enough stock.

That sucks. Well, hopefully Nintendo's not lying about making a lot more of them and you'll be able to find one anyway.

I briefly thought about driving over to my local Walmart to scope out their situation, but I don't know.  Don't really feel like dealing with a lot of hassle.  Some stock tracking website said my local store has 24 units, maybe I'll head over close to midnight, maybe swing by Target in the morning, but I'm not waiting in any lines.

EDIT: I live five minutes from Walmart, and my wife's car needed gas anyway, so I figured that I had nothing better to do (I rarely sleep before 2 or 3 am). Saw what I'd guess is 30-40 people, got gas, went home.

Targets are supposedly getting a ton. Whenever my daughter wakes me we'll go in the morning. If they happen to have any at whatever time that winds up being, super. If not I'll take her out to breakfast and call it a win anyway.

Edited by mikeszekely

18 hours ago, Scyla said:

Got notice today that the shop I preordered the SNES mini won't be able to fulfill it. Not enough stock.

What shop is it? Odd that they wouldn't fulfill your order with the next restock.

I saw in this week's comic news that the last big Zelda book from Dark Horse is coming out next year. I'm looking forward to that one and completing the trilogy of books.

Got my SNES Classic today from Target and it went better than expected. There were 13 people in line by the time I got there at 7:30. When the doors opened at 8:00 there were about 19 of us. It looked like they got about 40 in stock total, so I didn't even need to get there early.

edit: I'm surprised that neither side of the box has any tape or seal keeping it shut. All you have to do is unfold the flap and it's open. Is this normal?

Edited by TheLoneWolf

2 hours ago, JetJockey said:

What shop is it? Odd that they wouldn't fulfill your order with the next restock.

I saw in this week's comic news that the last big Zelda book from Dark Horse is coming out next year. I'm looking forward to that one and completing the trilogy of books.

Well they said theay keep me on theireaitinglist but after the NES mini I don't have much hope.

It is a local store and not a big chain. Oddly the last time this happened was with the Collectors Edition of Vanilla WoW. ^_^

My  kid slept late, and I didn't want to wake her because my wife worked super late and I let her stay up until Mama got home. By the time we got out this morning the SNES Classics were long gone. Kid's happy she got a little bus and brunch, though.

Thinking more about the SNES mini some more. For me Nintendo could release one SNES mini after another until the whole library is out there and I could be happy playing those games for the rest of my life. 

On the other hand I really like to pop the cartridges into the console so the new one doesn't give me all the nostalgia. I still don't understand why Nintendo have you the option to jam different SD cards into the slot of the console to recreate that. Producing these cards is probably a whole lot easier since they seem to have a problem producing the console. 

Another pro argument for buying the actual SNES games would be that I could get the European version of Contra III called Super Probotector where you could play as kick-ass Robots because Robots > Meatbags.

Look how cool they are:

2363709-snes_superprobotectoralienrebels

The ones from the NES version where even more awesome:

56169-contra-nes-front-cover.jpg

22257_front.jpg

I'm just really concerned with buying the old SNES cartridges over ebay since there seem to be an awful lot of counterfeits around and there is no store any longer in my area where I could check them out before buying. I'd also need to buy some of games that where not released in Europe like Super Mario RPG which didn't run on the PAL SNES even with an adapter if I remember correctly.

Long story short I will take a detour through the shopping mall tomorrow and see if they have some in stock there. If not I'm thinking about buying a Switch in spite. 

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

I'm just really concerned with buying the old SNES cartridges over ebay since there seem to be an awful lot of counterfeits around and there is no store any longer in my area where I could check them out before buying. I'd also need to buy some of games that where not released in Europe like Super Mario RPG which didn't run on the PAL SNES even with an adapter if I remember correctly.

Long story short I will take a detour through the shopping mall tomorrow and see if they have some in stock there. If not I'm thinking about buying a Switch in spite. 

If you don't care about owning the carts but still want to use SNES hardware there are SD card Carts. Download the rom on a SD card, pop it in the cart and pop the cart in the SNES and you have an unlimited library. All that said I've never used or seen one, I'm not sure how perfect the the transfer from SD to SNES is.

The SD2SNES is fantastic, unless you're trying to play a game with an unsupported coprocessor(like Mario RPG'S SA-1 or Starfox's SuperFX). The developer is working to add more coprocessors, but it is slow going.

The Super Everdrive isn't half-bad, but has less coprocessor support and no room on the FPGA to add them.

But both are identical to a real cart when playing. The console doesn't care what the data comes from as long is it gets it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2017 at 7:25 PM, Scyla said:

I tend to think that this is exactly what Nintendo wants people to do. One reason for the timing and short supply of their recent "classic" consoles may be to drive additional sales of the Switch. Get attention from retro buyers, hoping that when they can't get their hands on it, they'll just buy a Switch instead.

2 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

All because of Nintendo, everyone wants to revive the retro systems.  I would like the MSX, Amiga and may be the Sharp X68000 to get the Mini treatment. 

What? This has been going on for a decade now. Nintendo is just super-late to the party and no one wants to admit it.

MSX has already HAD "the Mini treatment". Twice.

As I said before, eBay is part of the problem with scalpers. They had a banner on their home page which said they meaning scalpers had the SNES Classic available. Like somehow scalpers and flippers are now legitimate retailers.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got an Email this morning from Amazon that they aren't able to fulfill my preorder for the SNES mini, since they didn't get a restock in October. This is getting annoying two preorders with two different stores and none was able to fulfill it. <_<

Maybe I should just buy the cartridges that I'm missing. How high is the percentage of knock off cartridges compared to genuine ones on ebay?

1 hour ago, dizman said:

Neat, time to buy some super expensive carts! Are you going to build an arcade cabinet or just hook it up to a monitor?

i might have it consolized. these 2 slot neo geo MVS boards are extremely easy to convert to a console bc it has everything already on it. stereo out for speakers, controller ports console controllers to plug directly in without any mods and a memory card reader. only thing that needs is a cheap power supply i grabbed from an old dell and a video converter to display to TV.   i have most of the parts for it connect  to a sony BVM CRT. just deciding if i want make a custom shell for it or leave it bare naked as is.

a few more pics of the ports/ parts and some professional CRTs.

R2x7nRil.jpg

bPNjGIHl.jpg

f0H9iuSl.jpg

JmQ74Nql.jpg