Guest davidwhangchoi

Looking of hi resolution scan of Super Famicom's Spider-Man The Lethal Foes, all what I found are low quality.

Thanks.

did you play the new translation?

here's the highest images i've seen: (had to look on JYP sites)

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/touffu/m/200712/322

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/touffu/e/49c46bdca6849ee4ff38b50b72b7c53a

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

Thanks for your effort, working on a custom cover of it. As for the translation, no.

i think someone recently translated the game into english.

oh nice... good luck w the cover

Sega Sound Unit

Arranger: Mitsuharu Fukuyama

Performed by [H.]

:Keyboard & Trumpet: Mitsuharu Fukuyama

:Keyboard: Hiroshi Kawaguchi

:Bass: Takenobu Mitsuyoshi

:Guitar: Keitaro Hanada

Quartet Medley 2005

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

Catchy tune that should bring back memories of Grim Reapers and run away tires.

Atari's Paperboy!

Championship/Super Sprint jingles were always great, some of the best by Atari:

0:00 Select
0:16 Goal 1
0:53 Next Stage
1:29 Goal 2
2:00 Tune Up 1
2:03 Goal 3
2:28 Goal 4
3:02 Tune Up 2
3:04 Goal 5
3:16 Goal 6
3:43 Tune Up 3
3:45 Goal 7
4:19 Goal 8

Guest davidwhangchoi

oh cool! it comes with scanlines :wub:

that's an accurate port of the arcade. if you notice the forcefield shrinks for every other power up grabbed. (every two hits shrinks the forcefield) arcade had a glitch where picking up items damaged the forcefield.

So, I've been using the GPD XD for a while now, and I think I can give a bit of a rundown on it:

GPD XD REVIEW

I've been using the GPD XD for a little over a week now, and I think I can deliver a fair review.

A word before I go further. The legality of the device is a little... suspect. The base device is perfectly legal, but in order for you to play the games, you need to load ROMS of the games, which isn't legal.
I also wish to point out that the reason why I got the device was because I was tired of waiting for Nintendo and company to release virtual console titles from the SNES era, along with lots of Sega Genesis titles. Hopefully they'll have something better for their next generation of hardware.

First off, the device is well built, and doesn't feel like it's going to break anytime soon. Clearly, the designers went with a New 3DSXL form factor to start, and then turned it into their own device. It's about the same size, and weight, and feels comfortable to hold for long periods of time. The clam shell design can be opened a full 180 degrees, or to a similar angle to the 3DS. The shoulder buttons have a solid clicky feel to them. The face buttons and D-pad are somewhat mushy, but this isn't too bad, as they're quite responsive. The twin sticks don't click, and their respective L3 and R3 are located nearby. The sticks themselves are quite good, and feel like a small version of the twin sticks on my PS3 controller. There's three versions out there, and they only differ in chassis colours, and storage options. The base model has 16 GB on board, and there's a 32 and 64 GB version out there. I went with the 32 GB model, as the jump to 64 was a little excessive in cost, and it does include a microsd port in the back, so it will be a trivial issue if I need more storage in the future.
The screen, in a word, is excellent. It's a 5 inch 720P screen. It's vibrant and bright. I haven't had problems playing in sunlight. Despite having a controller on the bottom, you can still use it as a touch screen. I don't think it's made of gorilla glass, so a little bit of caution when using it might be warranted.

It's also quite loud. The included speakers pipe out quite a bit of sound, and it's quite good, quality wise. The headphone jack also has plenty of power going to it, and has no problems driving a full size headphone set.
Battery life is excellent, and will last you all day long.

The device does use android, and has access to the google play store. Pre loaded on it are several pieces of emulation software, along with... samples (interpret that as you will). There's also a pre-loaded emulation store too, where you can download copies of games. I found the emulation for the device a bit of a hit or miss. It's perfect for playing SNES, Genesis, Gameboy (and colour), and Gameboy Advance. Some PS1 titles, some N64 titles, and some Dreamcast titles have glitches in them. Since this is an android system, you could replace the bundled software for something better. I haven't replaced the software yet, as I don't really want to play N64, PS1 or Dreamcast on the go (or DS and PSP).
The real neat thing GPD did was that the buttons are mappable, so you can use the controller for android games that use the touchscreen for input. Push the gamepad button, slide the pictoral represntations of the buttons over the android input overlay, hit save, and you can play a touchscreen game with the buttons. It only holds one profile at a time with no profile saving (that I've seen), so you'll have to tweak it between titles. The bundled emulation software is mostly setup for the controller, and you don't need to do this, for the most part.

In short, if you're looking to get an emulation machine for on the go retro gaming, give the GPD XD a good hard look. I like it, and it hasn't really dissapointed me one bit.

Guest davidwhangchoi

never played this... i'm going to try this on emulator. i played, contra, super C a bit but mostly the in the arcade. black and white gameboy contra and alien wars. i must've missed this somehow...

the one i play a lot is contra 4 on nintendo DS, it's like a tribute to alienwars.

Question: Why did Super E.D.F. soundtrack sound different between super famicom vs. snes? (i think someone mentioned it but i can't remember)

i had the jyp version and it sounds much better.

example of the same track:

Super E.D.F. (Japanese) - Midnight Intercept

Super E.D.F (American) - Midnight Intercept

for reference this is the arcade version from the CD album :

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Hey, in case you guys that hang out in this thread don't read the regular video game thread, I was writing there about Nvidia's Shield Android TV console. Figured I'd call attention to it here, because it turns out it's a pretty great retro game console.

Guest davidwhangchoi

this is pretty neat!

Some girl on neogaf posted this last night in response to a retro post i made:

This is how the SEGA team working on Golden Axe sampled the scream sounds. it's really interesting...

GOLDEN AXE screams - Where they came from

Guest davidwhangchoi

Shoot 'em up EXPO "TRANSITION 2015" Opening Ceremony

【TRANSITION2015】Cave's new game announcement Streaming Live 11:20 JST

Cave's game announcement for PC?

Deathsmiles 1 that was on xbox 360

Edited by davidwhangchoi

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, the GBA Robotech! Got the little SD Valk in there too? That's the only part of the game I kept when I sold it.

Wish I still had my GameBoy and Intellivision boxes. Threw them all out in a fit of madness.

Man, I have GOT to get all my games in one place some day for a photo op. Studio II through PS4.

Maybe figure out how many duplicate VCS cartridges I have while I'm at it. I know it's a lot. I think I have FIVE copies of PacMan, which is at least four too many.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Ooh Eternal Darkness, good find! It's been quite a while since I've played that game. Still one of the best because of all the different sanity effects as you play.

game is sorta disturbing but been meaning to finish it. got fresh batteries in my wavebird :)

That's the one that "resets" to the title screen and claims your save is corrupted, isn't it?

that really happens? is hideo haunting this game?

Here is my 1/3 retro collection. Still growing!

nice collection!

Guest davidwhangchoi

Super Mario 30th Anniversary Concert in Osaka, Japan - Sept. 20, 2015 / スーパーマリオ30周年記念ライブ

Audio Only

Edited by davidwhangchoi