It seems like a combination of a reboot and a sequel. They're on 3rd Earth instead of Thundera. Technology and Mum-Ra was stuff of legends. Including them mentioning how the Thundercat defeated Mum-Ra long ago. I'm gonna say this is a sequel to the original series but that was many generations ago. Instead of them creating new Thundercats they just used the classic version of characters. Can't wait for the next episode.

This is a complete reboot. They will go into the past of the ThunderCats, but that past is not the original series.

In this series, Thundara is a kingdom on Third Earth, not a planet.

Either way, I don't remember the last time I enjoyed an American cartoon this much(yes I know it's anime style, but I'm not considering it anime). I couldn't really find any faults in it, had something for all ages. Here's a question: my wife and I noticed that only Kitt and Katt had tails, does this mean that as children the 'Cats have tails and lose them when they get older?

Non-tailed ones are the nobility and elites while the tailed ones are the lower class commoners.

Even among Cats there is discrimination.

Edited by RedWolf

This is a complete reboot. They will go into the past of the ThunderCats, but that past is not the original series.

In this series, Thundara is a kingdom on Third Earth, not a planet.

Did they say that it's a reboot?

Because it makes perfect sense as a sequel.

Nice! It even has some mecha action in it. I like how Lion-O was portrayed as a visionary. That gave the character depth and a motivation. Loved the pace too. So many stories seem so rushed up these days.

Felt like the whole kingdom was too harsh to Lion-O before their hubris taught them better.

I got a behind the scenes look in June. It's a reboot.

ah. Cool.

edit:

Okay, so I finally got a chance to watch ep 1.

I dunno, I think it's definitely a sequel, maybe set thousands of years into the future but the references they make to how the thundercats defeated mum-ra, how there used to be flying ships, etc, make it seem like it's a sequel and not a true reboot.

Edited by eugimon

Watched the hour long episode, it really is a worthy successor to the fondly remembered 80's cartoon. The animation reminds me a bit of the style of "Avatar: The Last Airbender" on Nickelodeon. Wonderful to have a hand drawn series back on, especially after the flash animation of the new Voltron.

very nice... like most have said, this is how you reboot/remake a classic 80's cartoon.

i daresay Cheetara is HOT in a cute sort of way, esp. with that voice... the owner of the voice is damn HOT & cute too!

did it explain anywhere explicitly why Lion-O should be king instead of Tigra? bloodline thingy? or is it just as simple as Lion-O being a lion and Tigra a tiger?

their quest for the book of omens pretty much guarantees this series won't become episodic too soon if at all.

Edited by m0n5t3r

I dunno, I think it's definitely a sequel, maybe set thousands of years into the future but the references they make to how the thundercats defeated mum-ra, how there used to be flying ships, etc, make it seem like it's a sequel and not a true reboot.

The one major hole in that theory, the original Thundercats had never met/heard of Mum-Rah before arriving on Third Earth. In the new series, Mum-Rah reveals that the stone in the sword of omens originally belonged to him. Ergo, not a sequel.

The one major hole in that theory, the original Thundercats had never met/heard of Mum-Rah before arriving on Third Earth. In the new series, Mum-Rah reveals that the stone in the sword of omens originally belonged to him. Ergo, not a sequel.

meh, Superman Returns wasn't 100% faithful to the continuity of Superman 2, but it's still considered a sequel and not a reboot.

All they need is some line about how the original eye of thundera was destroyed and a new one crafted.

And they go out of their way to allude to the original series, even showing a ro-bear berbil hand, not to mention all the references to spaceships, the original war against mumm-ra, etc.

meh, Superman Returns wasn't 100% faithful to the continuity of Superman 2, but it's still considered a sequel and not a reboot.

All they need is some line about how the original eye of thundera was destroyed and a new one crafted.

And they go out of their way to allude to the original series, even showing a ro-bear berbil hand, not to mention all the references to spaceships, the original war against mumm-ra, etc.

Let me put it this way. The abscence of evidence is not the evidence of abscence. Your rational & generalizations is based on extremely weak and subjective information. As the series goes on things will become clearer. It's kinda like claiming that Macross Frontier is actually a remake of the original Macross series because some of the character designs are reminicent of the original. When you watch it however, you find out that it's a sequel. But whatever dude, you'll see.

Let me put it this way. The abscence of evidence is not the evidence of abscence. Your rational & generalizations is based on extremely weak and subjective information. As the series goes on things will become clearer. It's kinda like claiming that Macross Frontier is actually a remake of the original Macross series because some of the character designs are reminicent of the original. When you watch it however, you find out that it's a sequel. But whatever dude, you'll see.

No Dude, this is what you're doing.

Thundercats makes references to the first show. It shows bits of ro-bears, it talks about spaceships, it talks about an ancient war with mumm-ra. unless they actually show flashbacks of the first war and show that it isn't lion-o alpha, there's nothing to say that this isn't a sequel (a'la superman returns) and not a hard reboot (the new BSG).

But whatever dude, I'm sure condescension and snark are worth, like, 2 bazillion internet points, so have fun with that.

No Dude, this is what you're doing.

Thundercats makes references to the first show. It shows bits of ro-bears, it talks about spaceships, it talks about an ancient war with mumm-ra. unless they actually show flashbacks of the first war and show that it isn't lion-o alpha, there's nothing to say that this isn't a sequel (a'la superman returns) and not a hard reboot (the new BSG).

But whatever dude, I'm sure condescension and snark are worth, like, 2 bazillion internet points, so have fun with that.

You mean nothing, aside from the producers saying it's a reboot and not a sequel? :)

I got reboot out of watching it more so than sequel. If there was a Lion-o alpha and they are referring to the original, then there would need to be alpha versions of the young cats, Cheetara, Panthro, Tigra, etc. That wouldn't make very much sense, and it'd also be kinda lame.

I finally saw it last night, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. It's geared for all ages, and has enough story to feel like a real show, not something thought up on a lunch break. Well done, to all the people who worked on this, and a thank you to them, for making a reboot that is worth its weight. :D

Ok. :)

Just don't take that bet to Vegas. You will find out who originally defeated Mumm-ra. Hint: It wasn't the original Thundercats, who mysteriously have the same names as the present team.

Edited by GogDog

Maybe it a reboot/sequel in terms of the James Bond Reboot. It is a reboot but we stuck Judi Dench who was in the last movie in it.

Seems like a possible retcon/reboot/sequel. It sounds like a sequel in that they talk about the Thundercats defeating Mumra long ago. That is basically how the previous series ended. The past that's been referenced sounds like the previous series. They could easily retcon the original Thundercats out of the past for some generic ones and put their characters in the present.

Maybe it a reboot/sequel in terms of the James Bond Reboot. It is a reboot but we stuck Judi Dench who was in the last movie in it.

I like the Legend of Zelda metaphor used earlier in the thread better: the evil (Ganondorf/Mumm-Ra) keeps coming back/being reborn, and a hero (Link/Lion-O) is reborn to stop him.

Similarly, it is stated in BSG that "All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again" which suggests a repetitive nature of existence such as that seen in Legend of Zelda games (specifically Twilight Princess and Windwaker).

Now, I watched reruns of both BSG and Thundercats (henceforth: Tcats) when I was a kid but I don't remember enough to know if anything in the new BSG or Tcats flies radically in the face of the originals' canon. So far, in the first 12 episodes of BSG, I haven't seen anything that says the first war against the cylons (spoken about in the miniseries) is not the one portrayed in the original series. Or, the original series could have been an even older war between humans and cylons.

And if old memeories and an entire season isn't enough (in BSG's case), then old memories and a premiere is not enough time to know whether or not the new Tcats is able to fit into established canon...whatever the producers actually mean it to be.

tl;dr: How about we cool our jets and wait a bit before vehemently taking sides.

Edited by jwasko

That doesn't really answer why all the other characters have the same names, and same characteristics just about to the tee. Retcon/reboot/sequel??? It's either one, or the other, and if it is to be explained as a sequel, that's probably the lamest point in the entire show. It really shouldn't be that complicated.

I like the Legend of Zelda metaphor used earlier in the thread better: the evil (Ganondorf/Mumm-Ra) keeps coming back/being reborn, and a hero (Link/Lion-O) is reborn to stop him.

Similarly, it is stated in BSG that "All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again" which suggests a repetitive nature of existence such as that seen in Legend of Zelda games (specifically Twilight Princess and Windwaker).

Now, I watched reruns of both BSG and Thundercats (henceforth: Tcats) when I was a kid but I don't remember enough to know if anything in the new BSG or Tcats flies radically in the face of the originals' canon. So far, in the first 12 episodes of BSG, I haven't seen anything that says the first war against the cylons (spoken about in the miniseries) is not the one portrayed in the original series. Or, the original series could have been an even older war between humans and cylons.

And if old memeories and an entire season isn't enough (in BSG's case), then old memories and a premiere is not enough time to know whether or not the new Tcats is able to fit into established canon...whatever the producers actually mean it to be.

tl;dr: How about we cool our jets and wait a bit before vehemently taking sides.

Now see, if you watch the new BSG, the whole "this has all happened before" thing doesn't actually reference a series of of the exact same events happening.

It's actually referring to the original "tragedy" on Kobal, and previous incarnations of the main cast characters there. As for happening again, since the crew actually made it to Earth, or at least a servicable example of it, there's no reason to believe the exact same events would happen again, unless their Earth descendants repeated the same mistakes, which is the "its up to you" ending that the series had.

The bad end to this would be something akin to Gall Force: Earth Chapter & Rhea, which is were that the bad end scenario happens. And I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I love how Gall Force served as the general inspiration.

*snip*

Not going to read that, because I haven't seen all of BSG yet.

To clarify my previous post, though: I meant to say that, to casual fans of the older series, these reboots can seem like sequels...at least up to a certain point where something happens that breaks that fantasy.

Edit: Actually, I just thought of an example where the creators started out making a reboot that turned into a sequel: Beast Wars was initially to have no connection to the G1 Transformers series but had vague references to events that sort of matched up with G1 events.

To anyone who watched the BW Season 2 and 3, however, you know that turned out quite differently.

(I'm not quite sure where that information originally came from, but I'm pretty sure it has been confirmed)

Edited by jwasko

The utter lack of toys other than "neon repaints of He-Man*" is what killed the new He-Man line. Mattel isn't Bandai---Mattel focused 100% on toy sales as their success measure, and not "building the brand" through other means. Bandai are masters at building a franchise---look at Frontier (or any Gundam series)----they know that "6in action figure sales" are not the end-all be-all of making money---the toy sales come as a result of the show, not the other way 'round.

Bandai had a good series, THEN made merchandise and media of many kinds and promoted things in many ways. Mattel tried to have the entire franchise monetarily supported by nothing but repaints of the same figure.

*What's the difference with Batman? Batman lines always include Robin, Joker, Two-Face, etc. Plenty of guys for Batman to both team up with and to fight, no matter how many other Batmans they make. The He-Man waves were approximately 19 He-Mans, and one "other" figure. Yes, there were many other characters in the He-Man line, but the case assortments were SO He-Man heavy, the other characters may as well have not existed.

Finally got to see the pilot episode. It's not bad, but like most of the recent remakes/reboots, the innovator has become the imitator. The show feels more like a derivative of The Vision of Escaflowne than the original Thundercats series. Sure, there are numerous elements that pay homage to the original - such as Lion-O's sword sequence and Mumm-Ra's speech - but nostalgia will only get you very far.

Still, it's a much better effort than Voltron Farce.

I am not sure how someone can watch this and not see both reboot and sequel/retcon angles. I would argue against it being a direct sequel, but it certainly seems like the original Thundercats TV show might be the inspiration for the new show's backstory.

At some point I am going to assume we'll be told what happened in the past on the new show, and my money is on it being some sort of DYRL style re-imaging of the original series (from our perspective).

has a lot of mixed histories like troya and a air like the lord of the rings but I liked give to thundercats a more complex and deep history than the original series here are more clear the conflict between the "cats" and "reptilian" :)

Seems like an entire caste system. It's interesting that the other mammals live under the cats rules also. It seems to that any other animated show writers would just make it the "cat kingdom" and everyone else would be outside. I like how they layer on complexity with each aspect of the show, where you actually have to think about it. Imagine that!

I guess at this point it's gonna be more of everyone against the cats.

Hey doesn't that make it derivative of the 70's film The Warriors? Rip off!!! Time for a reboot!