Official MacrossWorld Convention 2010 Information Thread

Wow you guys are awesome. So glad you had a great time. I missed it unfortunately. Maybe next year :)

Got a quick question....what was Tommy Yune doing there? I mean, doesn't work for Harmony Gold? Weren't you guys supposed to be beefing with him?

Actually he volunteered and had a workshop on using photoshop. I missed it cause I had to head to SLC but I think he was showing how he creates artwork for HG/RT using Photoshop.

Beefing?

Tommy is a great guy. Any RT/MW issues are all under the water.

Quick teaser. Will upload more later. And yes, Tommy was there giving his photoshop workshop. Bad timing because the majority of people were waiting in line to get Mari's autograph. (Not like I would really watch anyway.) ;-)

post-9311-128681106943_thumb.jpg

post-9311-12868110944_thumb.jpg

Actually he volunteered and had a workshop on using photoshop. I missed it cause I had to head to SLC but I think he was showing how he creates artwork for HG/RT using Photoshop.

Beefing?

Yes he volunteered and again, it was bad timing. The workshop he led was very much the same as last year's except a bit shorter. Appropriately, Tommy used one of his Minmei/Minmay drawings as the example. I watched him last year and admittedly found his demo somewhat interesting, though I already knew many of the tips he was giving (levels, masks, layers, transparencies, etc). And again, most people were in line for Mari so his audience was very small. I was one of those in line and since I had already seen his demo, I wouldn't have watched it again.

As for RT/MW debates and differences, the attendees of MW Con are class acts and were welcoming, cordial, and discreet.

Had a BLAST!!! Will post pics later today. Thanks KiriK, EXO, Save, Maiden Japan, UCLA's JAC volunteers (Philip, Joe, etc...) and ALL the other event organizers who's names I can't remember- You guys did a SUPERB JOB!!!!!!!!! Very well executed program, wonderful location, and the price was right :p

So much to say... so little time right now. Just wanted to express THANKS from me and my family.

Viv Joe Miriya (aka Mimi) and Max

Wow you guys are awesome. So glad you had a great time. I missed it unfortunately. Maybe next year :)

Got a quick question....what was Tommy Yune doing there? I mean, doesn't work for Harmony Gold? Weren't you guys supposed to be beefing with him?

Tommy has been coming to MW Con for a while now. And a while back....Maybe MWcon 5(?) he gave a "friendship" cupcake to Solscud to put bury the hatchet.

MWCon 10 was a HUGE success! I want to thank Bee, EXO, Bigkid24, JasonC w/ his band, NB4M, modcineaste, Save, my brother, and his girlfriend, JAC of UCLA, all of volunteers, and all of our members brought in wonderful dislays to share with, and Kicker, Ron, Norge, and so many members I want to thank that I could list on and on!!

I also want a special thanks to Mari Iijima for performing a fantastic live concert!

It was a super hectic weekend; getting stuffs ready, setting up displays, organizing events, and tearing down. But I never had so much fun, and I enjoyed every second of it. I also met a designer from T-Rex and we had very interesting conversations.

I wish everyone who attended had a wonderful time.

We'll see you again in Macrossworld Con 2011!

Edited by Maiden Japan

10-10-10 MWCON 2010

First and foremost, THANK YOU ALL involved in the committee who coloborated, coordinated, and executed such an incredible event. As well as; all the guest speakers and let's not forget our very own creators of MW, Shawn and Graham.

This year's 10th Anniversary of MacrossWorld Con was trully a sight to behold. I can not get over how many people attended this year. The events and immense displays were extraordinary.

Also, a huge THANK YOU goes out to everyone who attended and made this the best Con ever!

Can't wait for next year.

THANKS AGAIN!

Wow, I just have to say that I am really impressed at all of the effort you guys put into this event. I didn't go, but I really wish I could have. I thought I was a pretty big fan of Macross, but I don't even come close to the dedication that so many of you put forth.

...and speaking of dedication, I just want to say that I was surprised that Mari Iijima agreed to come. ...but after thinking about it, it really just tells me and everyone involved of the unflinching dedication SHE puts into supporting her fans and the fans of Macross. Every time I see a picture of her or hear a story about how someone ran into her, she's always more than willing to spend a few minutes to make a fan's dream come true. She's been doing this for over 20 years now and it looks like she still enjoys it to the fullest. Mari, you're a real professional. Thanks for everything you do!

Had a great time, sorry for being shy again. I go every year and barely say a word, i dont think anyone even remembers me from previous years but Shawn and Egan because im always so quiet.

Someone post the group photo from today.

Yes, you were quiet but at least you met 'some girl' as you say. Good to see you there.

Here's the video of the Tenjin Poster Opportunity Drawing!!

And the winner is......... Kirik!!! (<~~~~ i swear it wasn't rigged - watch the video)

Consolation prize posters go to:

xstoys

bigkid24

Thank you to everyone that participated in the Tenjin Opportunity drawing! We sold 161 tickets total to help raise funds for MW Con. As you can see in the video, it is a continuous video verifying everyone's tickets in the drawing. We printed them out and laid it out on a table for everyone to see and then mixed them up in a bag.

A random person from the Japanese Anime Club at UCLA came to draw the winning ticket and he mixed the bag and pulled my ticket as the winner. Then he pulled the next tickets for xstoys, and pulled a 3rd for xstoys. but we agreed it should be another winner, so he pulled a 4th ticket and BigKid24 won the other consolation poster.

This was one of the few contests that I participated in and am really surprised that i won it. I hope people aren't offended that I won the drawing even though i organized it. Check out the video if you want to see how it all happened. =]

Thanks everyone! I'm going to do my full official recap later on when i have the chance.

Hi all! I had a great time at the convention and would definitely like to attend next future events!

I hope to upload the pictures I took soon!

This is a bit embarrassing, but would there happen to be a lost & found? I can't believe I lost items that I've never lost before.... Items that I think I may have lost at the event are:

1. The front half of a Pokéwalker. The screw became loose so the electronics and the front half fell off.

2. And a black USB flash drive. I can further describe the contents for verification.

Edit: USB drive found! Whew! Sorry about that. Please let me know if that Pokéwalker turned up. I can verify which Pokémon is on it for verification. ^_^;

Thanks!

-Michael

Edited by Autolooper

Thanks to Kirik, Exo, Bigkid, Save, Ron, Maiden Japan, Nightmare, Egan, and the rest of the staff for making MWCON2010 an absolute BLAST!

You guys pulled out all the stops for this one, great...no...frakkin awesome displays, wonderful giveaways, fun contests, plus the Frontier movie screening, and last (but not least) Mari Iijima concert made this DECULTURE.

Well thanks to each and everyone who put on such a great event. As this was my first time to this event, I really didn't know what to expect. it was smaller than I thought, but the only other convention I attended was anime expo. But watching Mari performing was a treat and the reason why I had to make my way to this event. Now I completed my hat trick. Watching May'n, Megumi and Mari performing. I stayed and watch Tommy Yune photoshop workshop and I had to leave right afterwards. I just trolled around most of the time taking pics of the displays. One odd thing I noticed on one of the displays is that >EXO< and I share the same name. Unless it was a typo. Anyways here's a link to some of the photos I took, enjoy.

flickr link

Here is a video compilation of the photos taken during the Con.

http://www.youtube.com/user/1400VID?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/e1Hw-xxhceg

Great video, come hell or high water, I am attending next years MW Con for sure!!! Maybe I'll have my Mac Zero helmet done by then!

Whew... Con finally officially ended for me today. Hung out with Egan & T-Rex all day doing some toys shopping, we had lunch with bigkid and then dinner with kirik and hirohawa. So tired...

Should we make next year's con on 11-11-11?

Awesome tidbit... rumor was that Aramaki wanted to come to MWCon... I would have been on total fanboy overload and would have been carted out of UCLA if that happened. We have to make next years Macrossworld's Total Mecha Convention, so we can have a Mospeada panel. lol.

tomorrow... pics and videos and updates.

Whew... Con finally officially ended for me today. Hung out with Egan & T-Rex all day doing some toys shopping, we had lunch with bigkid and then dinner with kirik and hirohawa. So tired...

Should we make next year's con on 11-11-11?

Awesome tidbit... rumor was that Aramaki wanted to come to MWCon... I would have been on total fanboy overload and would have been carted out of UCLA if that happened. We have to make next years Macrossworld's Total Mecha Convention, so we can have a Mospeada panel. lol.

tomorrow... pics and videos and updates.

All this talk about 'next year' already! haha... does that mean you're gonna take the lead to plan it? way to go Exo for volunteering!!!! haha

All this talk about 'next year' already! haha... does that mean you're gonna take the lead to plan it? way to go Exo for volunteering!!!! haha

I'll reserve that date at the Long Beach Hooters immediately. First order of business, female cosplay Jello wrestling karaoke while transforming a chunky monkey contest...

Official MW Con 2010 Recap!

So we did it! We pulled off the biggest MacrossWorld Convention ever and i have so many people to thank that contributed to making it such a success. Being MW Con Director for the past 4 years has been a great ride and I had the best group of staff helping me this year and i couldn't have made it without them.

EXO - Media Director: This guy is so dedicated to making MW Con successful each year. He is one of the most creative guys I know and he's responsible for bringing all the awesome t-shirt designs for our MW Con fundraisers as well as this year's convention shirt. He also designed this year's program, name badges, and that awesome vinyl MW Con banner. Thanks for doing all the little things that counted the most to make the convention run smoothly.

Bigkid24 - Operations Director: I'm glad you stuck it out and continued to help organize all the events and put together the program despite your own super busy schedule. We couldn't have hosted all the awesome events without your dedication to the cause. Thanks for handling all of our prize donations and figuring out what goes where. I know it's a hard task since i've done it many times and i'm very happy you stepped up to help this year. Great job running the program!!!

Japanese Anime Club at UCLA - Phillipp, Melissa, Jenny and JAC Volunteers: To Phillipp, thanks for hosting us again and bringing all your club members to come volunteer! It's been a wonderful collaboration the past 2 years and i'm glad to have worked with you personally. I hope we didn't give you too many headaches worrying about all the regulations, but i think we did a great job promoting JAC and MacrossWorld and i look forward to future partnership opportunities! Thanks Jenny for organizing our volunteers for hosting several events and for helping man the registration table both days of the con! Thanks Abraham, Jack, Danny, Jessica, Bill, Margaret, Eric, John, and any of the other JAC members that volunteered so much. You guys really made running the convention easy!

Maiden Japan - Exhibitions Display Coordinator: When Daisuke volunteered to help manage our displays this year, i knew immediately that this was going to be the most EPIC MW Con ever and i was right. You are a consummate professional in the art of displaying toys and i can't thank you enough for sharing so much with the MW community. The "History of Macross" display idea was simply brilliant and i've never seen a more impressive display of Macross items in 1 place ever. I think it may be safe to say this was possibly the biggest display of Macross toys and items ever put together! And it was all thanks to you and your support of MW Con. I'm glad you had a great time and thank you for sharing your wisdom during our Toy Panel discussion. =]

Save - Official MW Con Overseas Correspondent: Your title doesn't give you justice for everything you've done for MW Con and for this community. You are one of the most generous persons that i know and i cant thank you enough for all the support you've given to the con. And i'm SO HAPPY that you were finally able to experience the con in person this year! I hope it didn't disappoint and that you had a great time. Thank you thank you for all the amazing things you are able to get and donate to the con like the Mikimoto sketch and the tenjin posters and more! You are an amazing individual and we're lucky to have you on our side.

MW Con 2010 Sponsors - Otaku2.com, Tokyo-Hunter, Flightpose.com, T-Rex, TU: Otaku2 was responsible for donating all the flyers, freebies, coasters, and posters for the con. Thank you for making it possible to give every attendee a piece of MW Con to take home with them! Tokyo-hunter donated several kits for our customs contest! Thanks for getting such rare awesome items like the wonderfest 1/72 VF-171 and the 1/60 zentradi soldier. Thanks to Carlos at Flightpose.com to donated several more Flexi-display stands for various prizes and contests! Everyone LOVES your stands and many of them were used in our giant exhibition display. I hope everyone will purchase a stand for their own collection to use as it's the best way to display your valks in fighter mode! And big thanks to one of the guys from T-Rex who came out to support the convention this year as well as TU who made it possible for us to screen the Macross Frontier Movie! It was one of the highlights for our convention attendees to see the movie for the 1st time in the US! Everyone, please visit our sponsors' websites and show them some love for supporting MW Con 2010!!!

MW Con 2010 Special Guest -Mari Iijima: I want to publically thank Mari for being an amazing supporter of MacrossWorld Convention for many years. We are extremely lucky to have Mari in our backyard and come out to perform for us and sign autographs. She was amazing to work with and was extremely grateful and appreciative to all the fans that came out to support her. Thank you to all those that purchased a CD and came to hear Mari's special concert for MW Con. Please visit Mari's site at MariMusic.com

MW Con 2010 Panel Guests - Daisuke Fukuda, Egan Loo, Adrian Lozano, and Tommy Yune: Thank you all for taking the time to answer questions about Macross and for Tommy to do your photoshop workshop. It was great to have you all share your expertise in various areas and supporting MW Con!!

Special Guest Performers - BoobyTrap: Thanks for bringing the band out to play for us! It was great to have live music playing and hear your interesting interpretations of some Macross songs. You guys rocked, litterally!

JasonC and Cheryl - Promotional Coordinators: Thank you Cheryl for making this year's awesome MW Con 2010 flyer and to Jason for promoting it at all those comic book shops and at AX. You guys did a great job putting together a classy flyer that really helped us promote this year's con and get so many people to come. Thanks for all the support and for coming through in the clutch with some last minute items! You guys are great

Modcineaste - Audio Visual Tech/MW Con DJ/Videographer: DUDE, I am very happy that you got more involved in this year's convention and filled in as our special MW Con DJ as well as our A/V tech for the weekend. Thank you for bringing your equipment and also videotaping all the important events at the con this year. You made Mari sound great, and provided some awesome tracks to listen to throughout the convention. I hope you give us a good review on CollectionDX!!! It was great to have you on the team Leo!

MW Con 2010 Special Donations - Skull Level (UN Spacy and Storms), Diamond Level (Grapetang), Vermillion Level (Poohsan, Robert Myers, Maiden Japan, Jose Perez): Thank you to everyone who gave monetary donations to support the convention this year! Your generosity is much appreciated and will help continue to make the con accessible to everyone. I'm glad to have met you all and i hope you enjoyed this year's convention as it was as much a success due to your continued support.

MW Con 2010 Item Donations - Ron5864, Black Aces, Yellowlightman, Gunbuster, Joseph Younies, nanoplasm, James Hakola, Orguss 01: Thank you all for donating various Macross items to be used in all our contests and give aways! Our events would not be successful with having awesome prizes from the donations you gave. Thank you for supporting MW Con with your generous donations!

MW Con 2010 Volunteers - Thanks to all the volunteers that came early, stayed late, helped set up, break down, run events, bring display items, and more! Thanks especially to Ron and Nightmareb4Macross and Genta and his girlfriend for helping set up the initial display. And to Alex for his awesome MW Cake! it was yummy again.

Greg Hignight and LA Weekly: Thanks Greg for promoting the convention and for getting LA Weekly to come out and do an article for our event! Hopefully we'll see it soon!

Shawn and Graham: As always, we must thank the co-founders of this amazing community that has allowed us to share our common interest in Macross. Here's to another 10 years of MacrossWorld!!!!

And we're done for MW CON 2010! Thank you to all those who attended and made the event special! and i'm out....

haha.... but wait, plug for next year already: Who wants to run MW Con 2011???

Just want to add my thanks to everyone involved. An entire weekend of Macross?!?! It was like a dream come true and it was so amazing to have so much happening to keep everyone entertained. And I have no doubt MW Con 10 helped me get out of the funk I had been in. That's some powerful stuff!! THANK YOU ALL!!!

Beefing?

Tommy has been coming to MW Con for a while now. And a while back....Maybe MWcon 5(?) he gave a "friendship" cupcake to Solscud to put bury the hatchet.

Thanks for clearing that up guys. Goes to show how little I keep up with these things. Glad to know you all are on good terms. Sounds like you all had a blast. Hope to see you next year :)

Thank you Bee! MW Con was a blast! It's great see you guys again and meeting some of you other members for the first time. My holiday is just about at its end and I will be heading back to Tokyo soon. I hope MW Con keeps going strong.

Edited by Save

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUBJF_BH530?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUBJF_BH530?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUBJF_BH530?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>