TOYS FAQ - The New Noobie questions thread

EXO

5 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

If I were looking for a Q-rau (preferably a red one) to scale well with HMR (roughly 1/100), what are my options? I'm thinking of making a custom DYRL Max from a spare Focker VF-1S and it would be cool to pair Milia with it like the dogfight in the movie.

I can only think of the Robot Spirits Q-Rare one. But it has some differences from the original Q-Rau. Not sure if there's a 1/100 old kits. Or probably wait for HMR to release one? I know, Q-Rau is included in the poll chart. Maybe after they decided to release Nousjadeul-Ger. So who knows. ;)

12 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

If I were looking for a Q-rau (preferably a red one) to scale well with HMR (roughly 1/100), what are my options? I'm thinking of making a custom DYRL Max from a spare Focker VF-1S and it would be cool to pair Milia with it like the dogfight in the movie.

6 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

I can only think of the Robot Spirits Q-Rare one. But it has some differences from the original Q-Rau. Not sure if there's a 1/100 old kits. Or probably wait for HMR to release one? I know, Q-Rau is included in the poll chart. Maybe after they decided to release Nousjadeul-Ger. So who knows. ;)

Yeah, I just got the RS one kind of for this purpose but it is definitely too small. It still looks good together with everything especially if placed strategically. 

Hi, i'm new to macross collectibles. Just ordered the hmr vf1s messer custom recently. Hopefully i'll received the order because i miss the pre order but really like the colour scheme.

Just wondering is there a huge difference in quality between the hmr, dx chogokin, arcadia and yamato line?

As in currently i find that the high metal line is at a place where the price and size is just nice for someone like me. Not too big and i can have a little peace of mine handling it by hand due to the pricing. I guess similia to figma and nendoroid.

But i really want messer and keith from delta and maybe the lead fighter from frontier. However that is only availble in dx chogokin line and the price is double of the hmr line. Hence just wondering is it really good or i might as well just wait for the hmr line?

Edited by Itachizero

54 minutes ago, Itachizero said:

Hi, i'm new to macross collectibles. Just ordered the hmr vf1s messer custom recently. Hopefully i'll received the order because i miss the pre order but really like the colour scheme.

Just wondering is there a huge difference in quality between the hmr, dx chogokin, arcadia and yamato line?

As in currently i find that the high metal line is at a place where the price and size is just nice for someone like me. Not too big and i can have a little peace of mine handling it by hand due to the pricing. I guess similia to figma and nendoroid.

But i really want messer and keith from delta and maybe the lead fighter from frontier. However that is only availble in dx chogokin line and the price is double of the hmr line. Hence just wondering is it really good or i might as well just wait for the hmr line?

If Bandai decides to expand the Macross segment of their HMR line into say a "VFs of Macross" line in the same scale (1/100-ish)...then they would, in theory, eventually get to the VF-31 and SV-262....but that may be some years from now.....several years.....it would make no sense for Bandai to cannibalize their Macross Delta DX line at this juncture with "HMR" type editions.....

If you just want the Messer and Keith VFs from the Delta show, then find a good deal and just get the DX versions......

Welcome to MacrossWorld, you don't come here to get advice on saving money by being patient!!! :drinks:

1 hour ago, Itachizero said:

Welcome Itachizero! Another advice I could give is, you can also browse jenius' website called Anymoon.com or/and CollectionDX.com they have lots of various Macross toys reviews there too. Some reviews came from members here (Sorry guys, can't remember who's who in the CDX site. I'm sure Veef's one of them ^_^ ). I'm not going to preach or say you stay on one line and what's affordable. Just always follow what you heart tells you. Don't listen to your wallet. :) 

10 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Welcome to MacrossWorld, you don't come here to get advice on saving money by being patient!!! :drinks:

Amen to that, JVM! :drinks:

Now say goodbye to your wallet. :lol: 

aWnZf0a.gif

3J3uglH.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, a couple of questions.  I was wondering if one of my benevolent Macross friends could give me a list of the different stores from Japan to buy collectibles from, I'm familiar with Amiami, and Jungle, but I've read references to others on the forum in the past but can't remember the particulars, a list of good options would be greatly appreciated!  Also my next question is why does Arcadia do such limited runs of their releases?  I know Yamato over saturated the market with endless and sometimes undesirable releases, but what prevents Arcadia from doing more than 2 releases of toys that have such successful sales?  Thanks for your replies in advance.

1 minute ago, Giantman said:

Hey all, a couple of questions.  I was wondering if one of my benevolent Macross friends could give me a list of the different stores from Japan to buy collectibles from, I'm familiar with Amiami, and Jungle, but I've read references to others on the forum in the past but can't remember the particulars, a list of good options would be greatly appreciated!  Also my next question is why does Arcadia do such limited runs of their releases?  I know Yamato over saturated the market with endless and sometimes undesirable releases, but what prevents Arcadia from doing more than 2 releases of toys that have such successful sales?  Thanks for your replies in advance.

I'm also somewhat new here, and I found this subforum to be quite helpful: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/forum/13-where-to-buy-macross-auctions-amp-dealers-specials/

My go to shops are Nippon-Yasan (NY) and HobbyLink Japan (HLJ). NY has the lowest prices for preorder items and the option to pay whenever you want (except bandai exclusive items that you have to pay up front for). HLJ has the most user friendly cancellation and private warehouse options.

amiami and Jungle you know already...I sometimes use amiami but so far not Jungle.

Anime-Export (AE) is another that is usually just a bit more pricey than NY but you have to pay for everything up front. Their Private warehouse is the best in the industry...basically unlimited amount and time as far as I know.

CD Japan (CDJ) is usually a bit more expensive than the rest but has a good rewards program and they are accommodating to most requests to order adjustments.

Mandarake is similar to Jungle and an excellent spot for things already out in the 2nd hand market.

Hobby Search usually puts items up for order earlier than others but I never use them because I always find the same items for cheaper elsewhere.

Customer service is iffy from all overseas shops but I've had good luck with all the ones I use. Most people agree that HLJ has the best CS and on paper, they probably do.

amiami, Mandarake and CDJ have very good, solid packaging. NY is also very good unless you bundle a lot of things together, they start using makeshift boxes to fit it all as tight as possible. HLJ packs very well for small or single items but they will stack boxes loosely if you bundle a lot together. I've never had an issue with any of my items from any of the sellers I buy from and at worst, a couple small wrinkles on corners in those big boxes from HLJ and NY.

Also worth mentioning that while NY has low cost, they also charge more than most other shops for shipping. Still ends up cheaper, but not by as much as at first glance.

They charged me 10,100¥ to ship a PG Phenex. HLJ ships the PG Unicorn/Banshee (same size box) for 6,500¥.

Just now, Sanity is Optional said:

Also worth mentioning that while NY has low cost, they also charge more than most other shops for shipping. Still ends up cheaper, but not by as much as at first glance.

They charged me 10,100¥ to ship a PG Phenex. HLJ ships the PG Unicorn/Banshee (same size box) for 6,500¥.

Yeah, shipping prices for NY and HLJ have changed a bit recently. Actually, if you just want to go by who has the cheapest shipping period, I did a few tests with the same items at HLJ, NY, amiami and AE...NY and HLJ were consistently the two cheapest, with NY often being the cheapest. But, if you go with EMS, NY is usually the most expensive. But yeah, bottom line is I usually get items at NY with shipping included for around the same price as other shops charge for just the item with no shipping.

Just now, Slave IV said:

Yeah, shipping prices for NY and HLJ have changed a bit recently. Actually, if you just want to go by who has the cheapest shipping period, I did a few tests with the same items at HLJ, NY, amiami and AE...NY and HLJ were consistently the two cheapest, with NY often being the cheapest. But, if you go with EMS, NY is usually the most expensive. But yeah, bottom line is I usually get items at NY with shipping included for around the same price as other shops charge for just the item with no shipping.

Interesting, I hadn't noticed NY only charged more for EMS shipping. Though looking back their SAL is roughly the same as HLJ for most of my orders.

4 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Interesting, I hadn't noticed NY only charged more for EMS shipping. Though looking back their SAL is roughly the same as HLJ for most of my orders.

Yep, and I never use EMS unless I have to. Actually, I don't think I've ever used EMS from NY. I use it quite a bit at HLJ though.

Just now, Slave IV said:

Yep, and I never use EMS unless I have to. Actually, I don't think I've ever used EMS from NY. I use it quite a bit at HLJ though.

PG Phenex was too big to ship by any cheaper method. Same for the SDF-1 premium finish I have on order with them. Still ends up cheaper, but the shipping charges really eat up the savings. It's a shame HLJ doesn't sell PBandai or Tamashi web shop stuff.

Just now, Sanity is Optional said:

PG Phenex was too big to ship by any cheaper method. Same for the SDF-1 premium finish I have on order with them. Still ends up cheaper, but the shipping charges really eat up the savings. It's a shame HLJ doesn't sell PBandai or Tamashi web shop stuff.

Ah, I went with the actual ship method for my SDF-1 so it was actually significantly cheaper. Again, I don't care how long it takes for my toys to arrive as long as I get them. I've used their ship/freight option many times.

1 minute ago, Slave IV said:

Ah, I went with the actual ship method for my SDF-1 so it was actually significantly cheaper. Again, I don't care how long it takes for my toys to arrive as long as I get them. I've used their ship/freight option many times.

Actual ship method? I don't recall that being one of the listed options, I'm guessing it's limited by country/region?

25 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Actual ship method? I don't recall that being one of the listed options, I'm guessing it's limited by country/region?

You are in CA? So am I. It's usually the last option on the bottom of the list. It doesn't make sense to use unless you start bundling more items or if the item is something really big or heavy like the SDF-1.

2 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

You are in CA? So am I. It's usually the last option on the bottom of the list. It doesn't make sense to use unless you start bundling more items or if the item is something really big or heavy like the SDF-1.

Oh, you mean the ship by sea option or whatever it's called. How long does it usually take to show up?

I saw several months and have been skipping it until now.

4 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Wow. 2 months for the Ferry option. Curious how much is the insurance on that if ever since the SDF is almost $500?

Not sure, the option says it comes with insurance included.

Edit: here are the details

BOAT - REGISTERED:

Time required: About 2 months (Depends on the country)

Tracking number: Yes 

Insurance:  Yes ( 50 € for the package of 2kg or less, 170 € for the package of more than 2kg)

Edited by Slave IV

5 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Not sure, the option says it comes with insurance included.

Edit: here are the details

BOAT - REGISTERED:

Time required: About 2 months (Depends on the country)

Tracking number: Yes 

Insurance:  Yes ( 50 € for the package of 2kg or less, 170 € for the package of more than 2kg)

170 euros that's around $200.

Sad to say, I won't be able to choose that even if I wanted to save money. If something happens, I will be compensated not even half of the total amount. :unsure:

2 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

For me, it's either it arrives or it doesn't arrive. If it doesn't arrive, I'm getting my money back 100% one way or another. I'm not into betting against good fortune :)

How can you get it 100% if the insurance included is lower?

15 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

How can you get it 100% if the insurance included is lower?

Because I'm not paying for nothing. If it ever comes down to it and a shop tries to stiff me, I will work with them within reason to fix the issue. So far, every shop I've dealt with seems reasonable and probably would not want to lose my business over something that their own insurance will cover anyways. If worse comes to worse, credit cards all have insurance or consumer protection services built in. 

Plus, insurance is for the party that handles the postage...sure, we pay for shipping but the store is the one dealing directly with the post company. That part is all on them and has nothing to do with me so I don't care how much a package is insured for, if at all.

Edited by Slave IV

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Because I'm not paying for nothing. If it ever comes down to it and a shop tries to stiff me, I will work with them within reason to fix the issue. So far, every shop I've dealt with seems reasonable and probably would not want to lose my business over something that their own insurance will cover anyways. If worse comes to worse, credit cards all have insurance or consumer protection services built in. 

Plus, insurance is for the party that handles the postage...sure, we pay for shipping but the store is the one dealing directly with the post company. That part is all on them and has nothing to do with me so I don't care how much a package is insured for, if at all.

Got it. What I'm worried for is that they state it in their FAQ certain insurance for certain shipping methods. And by doing so, by means of continuing the said purchase, we agreed and bound with their terms. That's why I got curious when you said you will get it 100%. 

27 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Got it. What I'm worried for is that they state it in their FAQ certain insurance for certain shipping methods. And by doing so, by means of continuing the said purchase, we agreed and bound with their terms. That's why I got curious when you said you will get it 100%. 

All good. Yeah, I pay little attention to that fine print (first time I read it just now) because to me it's irrelevant. 

33 minutes ago, vendetta said:

Is there a place where people are talking about the Prime 1 Battroid and Gerwalk mode VF-1J statues? They look amazing, and m surprised that I can't find a discussion on them here. I may have just missed the thread though.

Since they are released under the Robotech license you can find the thread in the sci-fi section.

Edited by Scyla

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know where else to ask this, but where can you find things like current market value of Valks. I'm curious, since I looked on ebay and found that thee top listing for a Yamato VF-11C was $900 USD. Is that right, could I get that price? I'm just curious because I might want to actually do a value statement on my collection... you know, for renters insurance and asset statements and such...

2 hours ago, Valkyrie Driver said:

I didn't know where else to ask this, but where can you find things like current market value of Valks. I'm curious, since I looked on ebay and found that thee top listing for a Yamato VF-11C was $900 USD. Is that right, could I get that price? I'm just curious because I might want to actually do a value statement on my collection... you know, for renters insurance and asset statements and such...

The most accurate to me is somewhere between the listed prices and the sold prices. Use both for reference. 

You can ask in the BST section of this board. There should be a thread dedicated to this if i remember correctly.

Regarding the insurance you should ask your insurance company what price you should use for an item. 

For my insurance it was important what I paid for it not what it’s worth at the moment. If I need to replace it my insurance will pay the current price.

• 5 weeks later...

Quick question regarding toy storage and temperatures. This year I stored parts of my toy collection in an outside container that has no insulation against cold besides the thin walls.

I winter it can get as low as -5° F (which is seldom but can happen) so can these temperatures damage my toys?

If so do I need some additional measures against the temperatures?