TOYS FAQ - The New Noobie questions thread

EXO

So how different is the DYRL style A head from the TV? Is it just an additional piece on the lens area? or is the structure different?

To clarify: I know there are greater differences in the lineart, but in terms of the toy, how different are they?

And is it worth the assembly?

Just saw a good deal on this, but I really prefer the movie head.

Edited by Kelsain

There are some minor structural differences as well, as close313 confirmed the grey piece over the lens on the DYRL and a more 'streamlined' head.

Here's a really good shot of a DYRL style VF-1A head;

http://anymoon.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Yamato-V2-Gunstrap-1.jpg

Here are a few really good shot of a SDFM style VF-1A head;

http://www.mech9.com/blog/2011/08/160-vf-1a-valkyrie-mass-production-version-by-yamato-toys/4/

I'm sure there are other shots, maybe even a comparison that you can find here on the Boards or via Google.

-b.

Thanks. I see that the DYRL is a little shorter, to account for the extra piece. The back end bends differently, too.

I wonder if I could successfully mod the TV into something more like the DYRL, if not exact.

Technically, I'm sure I could, but do I have the skillz?

Appreciate it!

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought the Arcadia Yf-19 cos I thought it looked so awesome, but I never spent so much money on a toy... Should I apply some kind of Top Coat/clear coat to protect the paint/decals?

• 2 weeks later...

I see. Thanks for the info. I dont need it, was only wondering what it was..

EDITED :

Okay I just looked up the 1/20,000 kit and it seems like theyre not the same. This one has a base (macross city) and the feet thrusters are also removable...

Edited by aaajin

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased a few hours ago a 1/60 un-painted/un-assembled yamato vf-1 (66$ shipped to PH).

is there any poorman alternative for super parts? i checked local and international prices and all are unreachable (local price is even same price as some DX chogo)

I purchased a few hours ago a 1/60 un-painted/un-assembled yamato vf-1 (66$ shipped to PH).

is there any poorman alternative for super parts? i checked local and international prices and all are unreachable (local price is even same price as some DX chogo)

Congratulations on your purchase. Unless Arcadia re-releases the Strike & Super Parts you have to just hope for a good deal to show up but your best bet is a retail release, if and when that comes.

-b.

• 2 weeks later...

This is scaring me! All my YF-30s are under registered SAL and I can't change it! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Is 'Registered SAL' really that bad? Now I'm having second thoughts on my YF-30 preorder with NY since I've selected the next cheap NY shipping option with insurance and tracking number. I've been using Registered SAL for all my Mandarake purchases. And so far it's still safe as long that there's tracking number. Been trying to save a few dough on shipping that's why I'm not using EMS unless seller stated that they can't use SAL. But if it's just regular SAL and not Registered with Tracking Number then I'm not using it. Or if it's just $5-8 dollars difference from EMS then that's the only time I'll use EMS. But if it's $10+, I just used Registered SAL.

Anyways, did you had bad experience with using Registered SAL?

Is 'Registered SAL' really that bad? Now I'm having second thoughts on my YF-30 preorder with NY since I've selected the next cheap NY shipping option with insurance and tracking number. I've been using Registered SAL for all my Mandarake purchases. And so far it's still safe as long that there's tracking number. Been trying to save a few dough on shipping that's why I'm not using EMS unless seller stated that they can't use SAL. But if it's just regular SAL and not Registered with Tracking Number then I'm not using it. Or if it's just $5-8 dollars difference from EMS then that's the only time I'll use EMS. But if it's $10+, I just used Registered SAL.

Anyways, did you had bad experience with using Registered SAL?

No not really. Its just the whole talk about EMS and how its insured makes me worried. I normally always go for EMS but it was $50 per piece so I skipped it this time. I could've paid an extra $30 for EMS and got all my orders combined and shipped in one go but can't change it now due to CDJapans policy.

Honestly it should be fine but I'm just being paranoid because its alot of money thats being spent in those packages... I just had a piece from Amazon sent to me from Japan with normal SAL (I wanted EMS but they didn't have the option and just shipped it) and it arrived fine. So yeah, just me being annoying :X

I always buy with SAL, registered or not, unless its not possible (too big or I cant wait for it to come) and never had any problems. One of the factors is that it depends on the post offices that are handling the package. The postal service at where I live is very reliable.

the real reason to use EMS is because it's faster. I've never had a packaged lost or damaged through SAL, but I'm super impatient most of the time and want my stuff NOW, so I pay more for fast shipping. :rolleyes:

the real reason to use EMS is because it's faster. I've never had a packaged lost or damaged through SAL, but I'm super impatient most of the time and want my stuff NOW, so I pay more for fast shipping. :rolleyes:

Yeah this really. Usually its just a few bucks extra for EMS but god damn CDJapan charges $50 for a single package. I'm used to $30 tops for EMS for something that size so I went Registered SAL instead.

Yeah, I feel like NY and CDJ overcharge for shipping in general. HLJ is the best for EMS. They don't advertise it anymore, but years ago they worked out some sort of deal to get heavily discounted EMS rates, and there shipping prices really haven't gone up much since then.

I always buy with SAL, registered or not, unless its not possible (too big or I cant wait for it to come) and never had any problems. One of the factors is that it depends on the post offices that are handling the package. The postal service at where I live is very reliable.

Lucky you. For the most part the United States Postal Service is reliable in my area, but there are times when they fail to leave notification of EMS delivery attempts and I basically have had to stalk anything I ordered via SAL to make sure I get delivery (which is why I will NOT use SAL again).

This.

Yeah, I feel like NY and CDJ overcharge for shipping in general. HLJ is the best for EMS. They don't advertise it anymore, but years ago they worked out some sort of deal to get heavily discounted EMS rates, and there shipping prices really haven't gone up much since then.

This too.

I just wish more sites would implement services like HLJs Private warehouse. :X

Agreed! But I don't think that will happen. Besides maybe AmiAmi (an assumption on my part) I don't think any other e-tailer that ships worldwide has the type of processes or warehouse space that HLJ has.

-b.

Hello, newbie question here, this is my first post. While I have been familiar with Macross most of my life, and even owned many toys, I am still very much a newbie compared to many members here. Hopefully someone will be willing to help me out and point me in the right direction.

Recently the Bandai DX Chogokin line has caught my eye, I am no stranger to bandai or chogokin, I own most of the SOC line and others, but have yet to try out a DX Chogokin Bandai Valk.

Would you concider this line to be generally worthwhile? If you were to start with one, which would be your first buy? Any I should avoid or save for last? Also, its tough to find a list of all releases in this line, anyone have one or could point me to the right place? Are the older releases impossible to find? I tend to be a completist when it comes to awesome toy lines, just want to see what I'm starting here, lol ;)

Anyway, I imagine I will end up checking out at least one of these, thanks in advance for helping guide me to a worthy first purchase.

When going Bandai DX you want to start with a 'renewal' version VF-25 or any of the YF-29 toys. Check out anymoon.com (my review site) and surf around. For each toy you pick I generally list all the releases, release dates, and MSRP.

[edit: ] What jenius said!

Ok you should check out http://www.anymoon.com which has a list of most of the Bandai releases. Keep in mind that there are two lines of Bandai Macross Frontier Valkyries that are from the DX Chogokin line. The version 1 (V1) Valkyries are from when Macross Frontier aired and are pretty terrible compared with the new releases that are called Renewals. The easiest way to determine them is by packaging. The renewals have a white background where the V1s have a blackish one. On the website I linked earlier you can also see some comparisons of the box and the toys itself. There are also videos linked to transformations, reviews and comparisons.

The V1 Valkyries from Frontier are cheap to get and are maybe only worthwhile when displaying them in Fighter-Mode. Their Battroid- and especially the Gerwalk-Mode are lacking. The Renewals on the other hand are pretty good and exceed the V1 in every way. The renewals are pretty hard to get (read they are expensive) if you want a specific release (like say Ozmas VF-25S) others are less expensive like the cannon fodder VF-25A.

Most of the add-on (Super and Armored Parts) sets where web shop exclusives (i.e. even a more limited release) and are also expensive depending on the Valkyrie or are packaged with the Valkyrie as a bundle (only the Super VF-27)

Bandai has now started to release every color variant of the main Frontier Valkyrie and reissued the main hero variant the VF-25F. This scheme will probably continue until the new series comes out to cash in all the money.

Almost all the Renewal Valkyries sell for over MSRP (which is 14400 Yen) so if you find a toy for less than that it is either a V1, a broken Renewal toy or a 1/72 scale transformable model-kit (or you are really really lucky). So if you buy one from the second market make sure you exactly know what you are looking at.

Good hunting.