Jump to content
EXO

TOYS FAQ - The New Noobie questions thread

Recommended Posts

Freezing temperatures may render the plastic brittle. The difference in coefficient of thermal expansion between steel and ABS plastic over the ~75° F change is roughly 3mil (1/1000th inch) per inch, or 3mm per meter.

It doesn't seem like a very good plan to have plastic contracting around metal while being rendered brittle due to temperature.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2017 at 1:53 AM, Sanity is Optional said:

Freezing temperatures may render the plastic brittle. The difference in coefficient of thermal expansion between steel and ABS plastic over the ~75° F change is roughly 3mil (1/1000th inch) per inch, or 3mm per meter.

It doesn't seem like a very good plan to have plastic contracting around metal while being rendered brittle due to temperature.

So would the toys be ok if the temperature stayed above the freezing point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Scyla said:

So would the toys be ok if the temperature stayed above the freezing point?

The less temperature variation, the better.

Also, it's better to not go through daily warm/cool cycles if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

The less temperature variation, the better.

Also, it's better to not go through daily warm/cool cycles if possible.

Well they would stay there the whole winter and out of it in spring when I do the next collection swap. So the temperature variation would be kept to a minimum. 

My worries are those very cold winter nights where it goes well past the freezing point. I'm not sure if an extra layer of insulation would help a lot since they obviously don't produce heat to keep the temperature up inside.

Maybe the safest are the FansToys bots who are enclosed in a block of styrofoam All the toys are in their respective boxes enclosed in another box. With a layer of insulation it might keep the worst of the cold outside...

...on the other hand maybe it would be best to keep the toys inside over the winter.

Edited by Scyla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd suggest keeping them inside honestly, especially if we're talking upwards of $1000 of stuff.

Insulation would at least help prevent temperature swings though, even in the winter if sun hits where you're storing them it'll heat up inside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a toynami masterpiece Alpha that is starting to fall apart. Some of it looks fixable. Where would be a good place to get hobby screws? I don't want to buy 100, I'm probably going to need like 1 or 2, but I wouldn't be opposed to buying a small variety pack. the problem I'm having is that I need something with a diameter a little bigger than all the other Toynami screws while having a failry small head... the closest thing I could find was a motherboard screw but the head is too big on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jenius said:

I have a toynami masterpiece Alpha that is starting to fall apart. Some of it looks fixable. Where would be a good place to get hobby screws? I don't want to buy 100, I'm probably going to need like 1 or 2, but I wouldn't be opposed to buying a small variety pack. the problem I'm having is that I need something with a diameter a little bigger than all the other Toynami screws while having a failry small head... the closest thing I could find was a motherboard screw but the head is too big on it.

Not necessarily available in small quantities, but I suggest McMaster Carr. Fortunately they tend to be fairly cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×