TOYS FAQ - The New Noobie questions thread

EXO

Weathering toys had runs of 300 (300 taken from a larger run of the regular toy), except the 1/48 Hikaru 1S which was limited to 100. Non-weathering would by the orange and blue YF-19 which I believe were 500 each (one production of 1000 that was then split at paint in to two 500 unit batches). For VF-1 toys specifically it's hard to say because any regular release that didn't get a reissue didn't get a stated production run either. Like the Virgin Road or LV VF-1S. Since they're regular runs though it's a safe bet at least 1000 were made. 

2 minutes ago, jenius said:

Weathering toys had runs of 300 (300 taken from a larger run of the regular toy), except the 1/48 Hikaru 1S which was limited to 100. Non-weathering would by the orange and blue YF-19 which I believe were 500 each (one production of 1000 that was then split at paint in to two 500 unit batches). For VF-1 toys specifically it's hard to say because any regular release that didn't get a reissue didn't get a stated production run either. Like the Virgin Road or LV VF-1S. Since they're regular runs though it's a safe bet at least 1000 were made. 

Thanks for the info.  I've learned that the weathering editions were very limited so that makes sense.  Some of the non-canon valks and repaints may not have been popular at the time they were released so I can see those as hard to get today.

In terms of canon valks, the only 1/48 valks that seem to be hard to get are the Macross Chronicles Max and Kaki.  I know you mentioned shops still stocked them and Kaki was less stocked due to overstock with Max.

But what about 1/60 valks?  From my experience, these seem to be hard to find or go for really high prices:

1. VT-1 Super Ostrich -> I know all had shoulder issues, but was there only 1 run w/ no reissues?
2. VE-1 Elint -> a regular release w/ rainbow canopy and 30th with option parts... why so expensive?  Arcadia PF version really hasn't dropped price all that much.
3. VF-1J Mass Production -> I know it has the most tampos and only 1 release.  Is this why it's so coveted and commands such a high price?
4. VF-1A Angel Birds -> this one seems to be the rarest one as I never see it posted for sale.  Was this a special limited release?
5. VF-X -> only 1 release?
6. VF-1A Cavaliers -> only 1 release?
7. VF-1D Virgin Road -> only 1 release?
8. VF-11C -> only 1 release?

I've managed to get some of these (missing VF-X, Angel Birds, Cavaliers & VF-11C).  I just want to know why I have to pay so much.  :)

16 minutes ago, dafob said:

Thanks for the info.  I've learned that the weathering editions were very limited so that makes sense.  Some of the non-canon valks and repaints may not have been popular at the time they were released so I can see those as hard to get today.

In terms of canon valks, the only 1/48 valks that seem to be hard to get are the Macross Chronicles Max and Kaki.  I know you mentioned shops still stocked them and Kaki was less stocked due to overstock with Max.

But what about 1/60 valks?  From my experience, these seem to be hard to find or go for really high prices:

1. VT-1 Super Ostrich -> I know all had shoulder issues, but was there only 1 run w/ no reissues?
2. VE-1 Elint -> a regular release w/ rainbow canopy and 30th with option parts... why so expensive?  Arcadia PF version really hasn't dropped price all that much.
3. VF-1J Mass Production -> I know it has the most tampos and only 1 release.  Is this why it's so coveted and commands such a high price?
4. VF-1A Angel Birds -> this one seems to be the rarest one as I never see it posted for sale.  Was this a special limited release?

I've managed to get some of these (missing VF-X, Angel Birds, Cavaliers & VF-11C).  I just want to know why I have to pay so much.  :)

funny looking at this list, majority were shelf warmers in the bargain bin for long periods of time except the Cavs

yamato could not sell these whatsoever.

1 hour ago, dafob said:

The Angelbirds and VF-X were like the Max and Hayao TV 1/48 toys, Macross Chronicles exclusives, so they might be more limited than the other regular release toys, but no counts available. Otherwise you got it, those are all releases that never saw a second run, except the VE-1, which people just love.

4 hours ago, jenius said:

The Angelbirds and VF-X were like the Max and Hayao TV 1/48 toys, Macross Chronicles exclusives, so they might be more limited than the other regular release toys, but no counts available. Otherwise you got it, those are all releases that never saw a second run, except the VE-1, which people just love.

That explains a lot about the Angel Birds and VF-X.  I didn't know they were also Chronicles exclusives.  

7 hours ago, dafob said:

That explains a lot about the Angel Birds and VF-X.  I didn't know they were also Chronicles exclusives.  

when BBTS used to carry v2. yamato vf-1's those were both on clearance for $75 (hlj and BBTS got allocated the vf-x and angle birds chronicles exclusives after a while) They carried yamato's for a long time, there's a big complicated history of how yamato started, and once HG decided to go with another line, BBTS had to hide their links once HG starting being jerks.   

mass production 1j was 130 on angloz and several ebay sellers for a long time bc no one wanted it. 

same for the virgin road and low viz., they were carried at multiple chinese shops, ebay and stores like toy wiz. just shelf warmers.  

11c and the Vt-1 was in the hlj bargain bin for so long. nobody wanted it. 

it looks like you're real late to the game and started collected after yamato was defunct 

prices started to soar on the valks when Yamato's business went belly up and many speculated these were the last vf-1 toys.   

before then, all these you listed could be found for 130-180 on average. 

Edited by davidwhangchoi

5 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

11c and the Vt-1 was in the hlj bargain bin for so long. nobody wanted it. 

The VT-1 had the exploding shoulder’s that’s why nobody wanted it.  It should’ve been one of the best sellers considering it having the greatest “air time” in the movie.

12 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

it looks like you're real late to the game and started collected after yamato was defunct 

prices started to soar on the valks when Yamato's business went belly up and many speculated these were the last vf-1 toys.   

before then, all these you listed could be found for 130-180 on average. 

The prices you've listed and the history lesson y'all have given me brings tears to my eyes. :( I've made it no secret that I started this game way late.  I bought my first Yamato, a loose 1/48 VF-1S Roy in January 2018. 

I was a poor college student when the 1/48 Yamato's were released, and then a poorer new home owner when the v2's were released.  By the time my finances were stable, I became a parent and collecting was once again pushed aside.  

But now I'm all in.  In the past year, I believe the only one crazier than me is probably @Shizuka the Cat.  But I'm pretty sure I'm a close second.  I've picked up every cannon 1/48 valk except TV Kaki, and every 1/60 canon valk except for the Angel Birds, Cavaliers, VF-X and VF-11C.  Most things I've picked up were at premium prices.  :cray:

Since I'm pretty much all caught up, I can finally join all you fine folks in these discussions and other fun things like PO madness nights.  :)

11 minutes ago, dafob said:

The prices you've listed and the history lesson y'all have given me brings tears to my eyes. :( I've made it no secret that I started this game way late.  I bought my first Yamato, a loose 1/48 VF-1S Roy in January 2018. 

I was a poor college student when the 1/48 Yamato's were released, and then a poorer new home owner when the v2's were released.  By the time my finances were stable, I became a parent and collecting was once again pushed aside.  

But now I'm all in.  In the past year, I believe the only one crazier than me is probably @Shizuka the Cat.  But I'm pretty sure I'm a close second.  I've picked up every cannon 1/48 valk except TV Kaki, and every 1/60 canon valk except for the Angel Birds, Cavaliers, VF-X and VF-11C.  Most things I've picked up were at premium prices.  :cray:

Since I'm pretty much all caught up, I can finally join all you fine folks in these discussions and other fun things like PO madness nights.  :)

Don't worry. You're not alone on this. I started a year after Yamato folded so most Valks that I wanted, I panic buy. To the point I was trying to juggle my budget between getting some old Yamato and getting recent releases like Bandai's DX Frontier Valks. So yeah, my wallet cried a lot during my first 3-4 years into Macross re-collecting. :unsure:

1 minute ago, dafob said:

that's awesome, yeah i remember pm'ing you once on what you're looking for, great to see you got most of everything. esp the 1/60 v.2 line.

it's really hard these days and i haven't seen any so far but if i see any, i'll pm you. 

just a few stories to share to relate:

i think i paid a few premium prices myself just to complete the collection. i feel your pain:cray:, i remember looking  2 years for hyper hobby magazine exclusive 1/60 hikaru 1j weathering special. it was a long 2 years of surfing daily:search: and all of a sudden 3 showed up in the span of 3 months. i rushed and brought em all and quickly changed out any knurled shoulder pins. 

i ended up selling one to a fellow member on here Darotower.

the 1/60 angel birds i definitely paid a premium on 3 of em:vava:. my goal was getting a set of 5x  for the scene from episode one.   bc they were so hard to find i just ended up paying whenever they showed up. (took me about 3 years to complete a set of 5)

it's incredible you got most of what you're looking for already:good: 

42 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Don't worry. You're not alone on this. I started a year after Yamato folded so most Valks that I wanted, I panic buy. To the point I was trying to juggle my budget between getting some old Yamato and getting recent releases like Bandai's DX Frontier Valks. So yeah, my wallet cried a lot during my first 3-4 years into Macross re-collecting. :unsure:

I've had conversations with @Shizuka the Cat about this and we thought we were the only ones that needed to go to therapy.  Glad to know we're not the only crazy ones!

41 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

that's awesome, yeah i remember pm'ing you once on what you're looking for, great to see you got most of everything. esp the 1/60 v.2 line.

it's really hard these days and i haven't seen any so far but if i see any, i'll pm you. 

just a few stories to share to relate:

i think i paid a few premium prices myself just to complete the collection. i feel your pain:cray:, i remember looking  2 years for hyper hobby magazine exclusive 1/60 hikaru 1j weathering special. it was a long 2 years of surfing daily:search: and all of a sudden 3 showed up in the span of 3 months. i rushed and brought em all and quickly changed out any knurled shoulder pins. 

i ended up selling one to a fellow member on here Darotower.

the 1/60 angel birds i definitely paid a premium on 3 of em:vava:. my goal was getting a set of 5x  for the scene from episode one.   bc they were so hard to find i just ended up paying whenever they showed up. (took me about 3 years to complete a set of 5)

it's incredible you got most of what you're looking for already:good: 

Holy hell... 5 Angel Birds?!  That's freakin' awesome!!!  I have the fan racer model kit but no birds to display it with except for my lone 1/48 Angel Bird.  LOL

I stayed away from the special editions like the weathering versions and repaints. 

I've kept a spreadsheet of everything I've purchased.  In the past 16 months of collecting Macross I've spent $18,483!  :help:
This includes Yamato 1/48's & 1/60's (SDFM, MacPlus, MacZero, and a few M7); some Arcadia valks, and most of the HMR valks.  I haven't seen Frontier or Delta so I haven't picked up any Bandai DX stuff except for the VF-1J (VF-1A Max PO'd).

I've chatted with many members on these boards (and even had phone conversations with a few).  I love all these old stories you guys post during the years I was MIA.  I pay attention to each and everyone one, piecing together a mental timeline of how things went down and what it must've been like to collect during those times.  I started out as a Transformers/Voltron collector but truthfully I get the most satisfaction these days when I pick up a new valk.

Another question for you old timers:

Did Yamato ever release a 1/60 VF-1S TV Roy (bright white plastic with yellow/black stripes) with a rainbow canopy?

All of the TV bright white VF-1S I've seen all have clear canopies.

1 hour ago, dafob said:

Another question for you old timers:

Did Yamato ever release a 1/60 VF-1S TV Roy (bright white plastic with yellow/black stripes) with a rainbow canopy?

All of the TV bright white VF-1S I've seen all have clear canopies.

I believe they were NEVER released with rainbow canopies; both the TV VF-1S Roy and the TV VF-1S Hikaru that came with the Super Parts.

And yes, I’m an old timer.

On 4/17/2019 at 11:23 PM, Bub said:

I believe they were NEVER released with rainbow canopies; both the TV VF-1S Roy and the TV VF-1S Hikaru that came with the Super Parts.

And yes, I’m an old timer.

Darn it.  That means my TV valks will never match. :(

On 4/18/2019 at 12:04 AM, jenius said:

Never released with rainbow canopy, see chart, 2.2 means clear canopy and updated crotch.

I never knew what 2.2 meant in your chart but now I know "...and knowing is half the battle!".

Thank you both for the info!

Edited by dafob

39 minutes ago, dafob said:

Darn it.  That means my TV valks will never match. :(

I never new what 2.2 meant in your chart but now I know "...and knowing is half the battle!".

Thank you both for the info!

Good feedback,it used to be included in the article but it may have been dropped when I removed the text version of the release list and switched to the info graphic. When I update the info graphic to include the 35th anniversary and PF VE-1 I'll add the version descriptions in a key.

3 minutes ago, jenius said:

Good feedback,it used to be included in the article but it may have been dropped when I removed the text version of the release list and switched to the info graphic. When I update the info graphic to include the 35th anniversary and PF VE-1 I'll add the version descriptions in a key.

That would be very helpful.  BTW, if 2.2 is clear canopy w/ fixed crotched, what does 2.1 mean?  I thought maybe fixed shoulders but I see the VT-1 as 2.1 which eliminates that theory.

Here's the old key, 2.25 would be added and that simply includes screw covers.

Version Key:
Version 2.0: Original version 2 releases.  Feature a tinted canopy and a new type of crotch locking mechanism for battroid mode.
Version 2.05: These toys feature a clear canopy and the crotch locking mechanism found on the 2.0 toy.
Version 2.1: Feature a tinted canopy and a similar crotch mechanism to that found on Yamato's 1/48 line of VF-1 toys
Version 2.2: These toys feature a clear canopy and the 1/48 style of crotch locking mechanism.
Note: I do not own every single V2 release.  If I mislabel a release here according to the structure I've provided above, 
please let me know.  Also, the anniversary version of the VF-1S toys (Hikaru and Roy) feature little flashlights which 
some may feel make them more of a collectible.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the 25th anniversary isn’t as solid as the blazer line.  But the gaps can be massaged tighter and mine stays together just fine. Also, I have mostly kept it in fighter mode (maybe transformed twice) and it displays nicely. It’s one of my personal favorite old Yammy’s.

It would be a great custome for operation Phantom Swiord , as those VF-19’s are also blackout.

8 minutes ago, Pulltoeject said:

Hmmmmmm ok.....thanks !! 

I wanted to use it as a base to do the hasegawa YF-19 EXPO valk paint scheme

If you’re not transforming it, would it be cheaper just to get a Hasegawa 1/48 or 1/72 YF-19 kit to do the said scheme?

Question on the 1/48 Wood Land Color GBP, did it come with a marking guide? The urban camo definitely comes with a marking guide. I thought my WLC GBP was brand new but there's no marking guide so I'm thinking it probably doesn't but want to confirm.

Still looking for a response on the Wood Land Color GBP Marking guide question. It would be an insert separate from the instruction manual but in the same baggy if one exists.

Also, does the 30th anniversary reissue of Yamato's 1/60 V2 VF-1D come in a box with a flip-top lid like the original release or does it come in a box without a lid like all of Yamato's later releases? This question would also be valid for the 30th reissue of the VF-1S/J Hikaru and VF-1S DYRL type Focker releases. 

38 minutes ago, jenius said:

Also, does the 30th anniversary reissue of Yamato's 1/60 V2 VF-1D come in a box with a flip-top lid like the original release or does it come in a box without a lid like all of Yamato's later releases? This question would also be valid for the 30th reissue of the VF-1S/J Hikaru and VF-1S DYRL type Focker releases. 

I have both versions Yamato's 1/60 V2 VF-1D.  The older one w/ the rainbow canopy has a flip-top box while the newer one w/ the 30th anniversary markings does not have a flip-top box.  

I also have the 30th Anniversary release of the VF-1S DYRL Roy (standard release w/o super/strike parts) and that also comes in a regular box without flip-top.

Edited by dafob

56 minutes ago, dafob said:

I have both versions Yamato's 1/60 V2 VF-1D.  The older one w/ the rainbow canopy has a flip-top box while the newer one w/ the 30th anniversary markings does not have a flip-top box.  

I also have the 30th Anniversary release of the VF-1S DYRL Roy (standard release w/o super/strike parts) and that also comes in a regular box without flip-top.

Perfect, thanks!

On 4/30/2019 at 9:40 PM, jenius said:

Question on the 1/48 Wood Land Color GBP, did it come with a marking guide? The urban camo definitely comes with a marking guide. I thought my WLC GBP was brand new but there's no marking guide so I'm thinking it probably doesn't but want to confirm.

Sorry about the late response, I just dug my box out. So, it does have a marking guide but it is in the instructions.

Macross_VF1A_WoodlandGBPInstructions.thumb.jpg.db3c0a54689c8f034e5aaa80725584d4.jpgMacross_VF1A_WoodlandGBPInstructionsMarkings.jpg.79b862c87e3bd05aeb9c6db2b1bbbf6c.jpg