TOYS FAQ - The New Noobie questions thread

EXO

2 minutes ago, yuletak said:

Yeah, I know.  They've been released since 2016 for regular and 2017 for premium.  I've been trying to get the info out of them, and even asked for a link to the Taobao page they claimed to have info.  So far, nothing.

Does anyone know how the coupon code works?  Does eBay absorb the discount?

I'm pretty sure Ebay absorbs the discount, rather than the seller.

I'd give them a week, making sure all communications go through EBay, then if you're not satisfied file a dispute through EBay. They have no leg to stand on as the listing violated EBay's requirements for pre-orders.

20 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I'm pretty sure Ebay absorbs the discount, rather than the seller.

I'd give them a week, making sure all communications go through EBay, then if you're not satisfied file a dispute through EBay. They have no leg to stand on as the listing violated EBay's requirements for pre-orders.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, yuletak said:

Yeah, I know.  They've been released since 2016 for regular and 2017 for premium.  I've been trying to get the info out of them, and even asked for a link to the Taobao page they claimed to have info.  So far, nothing.

Does anyone know how the coupon code works?  Does eBay absorb the discount?

Well, the eBay description itself even says this was a 2016 release item. No other date exists in the eBay description that indicates a separate shipping date.

You can probably get eBay to cancel your order due to incorrect or deceptive description. Note however you will only get refunded what you actually paid. If you used an eBay coupon, eBay reclaims their couponed portion for themselves.

image.png.4ca24423315225acfb072b9f41d76c1d.png

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

For Isamu's VF-19A appearance in Frontier Movie, is there a canon backstory for it? i thought there was one involving Isamu wanting to get back into flying again years after the events of Macross Plus... :unsure:

22 hours ago, Tober said:

For Isamu's VF-19A appearance in Frontier Movie, is there a canon backstory for it? i thought there was one involving Isamu wanting to get back into flying again years after the events of Macross Plus... :unsure:

Bandai wanted to sell the DX. :ph34r:

23 hours ago, Tober said:

I'm not so sure if Seto mentioned or addressed this in the Frontier Anime thread. 

On 5/9/2018 at 10:19 PM, Tober said:

Here's what I could find in the "Newbie and Short Questions Thread', that thread would be the better place to ask instead of here:

On 10/7/2017 at 5:21 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

According to Macross Chronicle, Isamu originally tried to twist Jan's arm into selling him VF-19 parts under the table... the Shinsei VF-19ADVANCE program that created the VF-19EF/A was Jan's counteroffer, it was written off as a test aircraft to evaluate service life extension possibilities for the VF-19 and paid for with Isamu's life savings.

I remember they were stating it was a VF-19EF Caliburn with parts modified to Isamu's personal preference or something like that.

On 5/10/2018 at 4:19 AM, Tober said:

Nothing directly connected to the movie... just that, after Isamu decided to retire from the New UN Spacy because he wasn't happy with being gradually steered towards a desk job c.2058, he joined Strategic Military Services.  He wanted to fly a VF-19A, but since SMS was only able to field a small number of "monkey model" VF-19s due to arms export restrictions the New UN Government put on the fighter (as a result of his own actions with the prototype in 2040), there was no way for him to get one.  Not being one to let things go, he contacted his old "friend" Dr. Jan Neumann of Shinsei Industry and tried to persuade him into selling him the parts to build a VF-19 under the table.  As owner of a functioning brain, Jan realized this was a spectacularly bad idea and said no.  To stop Isamu from doing something even more reckless, he talked Shinsei into letting him do an experimental VF-19 as a test for ways to extend the fighter's service life, modified a VF-19EF Caliburn back to specs approximating the YF-19-3's, and stuck Isamu with the bill for the whole affair.

1 hour ago, wmkjr said:

I remember they were stating it was a VF-19EF Caliburn with parts modified to Isamu's personal preference or something like that.

Yup.  It's a VF-19EF that's been modified to return its aerodynamics and control systems back to the levels of the YF-19-3/VF-19A.

15 hours ago, wmkjr said:

Here's what I could find in the "Newbie and Short Questions Thread', that thread would be the better place to ask instead of here:

Thanks. I posted here as I sorta remember someone posting it in the VF-19A thread... :unsure:

13 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Nothing directly connected to the movie... just that, after Isamu decided to retire from the New UN Spacy because he wasn't happy with being gradually steered towards a desk job c.2058, he joined Strategic Military Services.  He wanted to fly a VF-19A, but since SMS was only able to field a small number of "monkey model" VF-19s due to arms export restrictions the New UN Government put on the fighter (as a result of his own actions with the prototype in 2040), there was no way for him to get one.  Not being one to let things go, he contacted his old "friend" Dr. Jan Neumann of Shinsei Industry and tried to persuade him into selling him the parts to build a VF-19 under the table.  As owner of a functioning brain, Jan realized this was a spectacularly bad idea and said no.  To stop Isamu from doing something even more reckless, he talked Shinsei into letting him do an experimental VF-19 as a test for ways to extend the fighter's service life, modified a VF-19EF Caliburn back to specs approximating the YF-19-3's, and stuck Isamu with the bill for the whole affair.

Yup.  It's a VF-19EF that's been modified to return its aerodynamics and control systems back to the levels of the YF-19-3/VF-19A.

Many thanks! :D

10 hours ago, Sildani said:

Just how much life savings are we talking about?!

He saved thousands of lives... ;)

14 hours ago, Sildani said:

Just how much life savings are we talking about?!

No idea, but enough that it even had to include his wages from SMS.

5 hours ago, Tober said:

He saved thousands of lives... ;)

Yeah, but not necessarily in a way the UN Spacy would reward him for, since afterwards they shipped him off God knows where as fast as humanly possible...

On 5/13/2018 at 3:00 AM, TrickyCustomer said:

Does any one have or know where i can find pictures of a fully tampo'd Yamato 1/60 VF-0A please? I have finally opened my V1 version and I plan to sticker it up soon. Thanks

The manual that came with it have placement instructions where to put the stickers, correct? What I can suggest though, what i did on mine, is to based it first on the Yamato/Arcadia manual and then use a Hasegawa 1/72 kit manual as another reference for some additional decals.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For those of you that have put UV film on their display cases (specifically detolfs, if you have them) did you put it on the inside of the glass or outside?  It seems like if I'm going to do it "right" I should put it on the inside, but I really don't feel like taking everything out and partially disassembling the defolfs.

Would putting it on the outside be reasonable?  I've never worked with the UV film before.

1 hour ago, HardlyNever said:

For those of you that have put UV film on their display cases (specifically detolfs, if you have them) did you put it on the inside of the glass or outside?  It seems like if I'm going to do it "right" I should put it on the inside, but I really don't feel like taking everything out and partially disassembling the defolfs.

Would putting it on the outside be reasonable?  I've never worked with the UV film before.

Yeah, it will protect from either side but it’s designed to be on the inside to protect the film from scratches and whatever else, plus it usually looks cleaner that way. 

Have you considered putting the film on the windows of the room the detolf is in? It would be easier to do and protect everything in the room from UV instead of just the detolf. 

5 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Yeah, it will protect from either side but it’s designed to be on the inside to protect the film from scratches and whatever else, plus it usually looks cleaner that way. 

Have you considered putting the film on the windows of the room the detolf is in? It would be easier to do and protect everything in the room from UV instead of just the detolf. 

Yeah, but I'm only going to be in my currently place for about a year.  So I don't want to use film on a rental place.  

I went ahead and moved the detolfs out of any direct sunlight (I just moved in, they were empty), so I'm not 100% sure I even need the UV film now.  But it is on the way already.  Maybe I'll just keep it and use it for the next place I move to (which we should be buying).

I do like the idea of having it on the detolfs, though.

Edited by HardlyNever

9 hours ago, apptt4 said:

I get a little light onto my displays for an hour or so each day via 2 different windows. my thoughts were to cover those instead of my cabinets.

does anyone have experience or recommendations for uv film on windows?

So far, I do it on all my cars...I get all windows tinted with quality ceramic films, including 80% on the windshield and it keeps my cars cooler inside even after parked under the sun all day and provides UV protection all around. Definitely noticeable because you can get burned driving in the sun with windows up but not in my cars. Anyways, when picking a film, just make sure you read the specs and make sure it has 99% or more UV protection. 

Here is a site for one company that I have used and you can see spec sheets for all their films to get an idea of the options. 

Edited by Slave IV

• 3 weeks later...

For Yamato V2 toys, what's the best way to remove stickers? I bought a used VT-1 that has the number applied to the nosecone and I'd like to remove it but I don't want to create bigger issues. Can I just carefully peel it up? If it leaves behind some sticky residue, what's the safest method for cleaning it off?

Edited by jenius

I was wondering, what is the best way to remove panel lining?

I bought a panel-lined Yamato 1/60 VF-1 and want to remove the panel lining the previous owner had done.

Also, any recommendations on what kind of paint to buy if I decide to paint Snoopy and Woodstock on my valkyrie? As well as how to remove said paint?

Thanks!

• 7 months later...