TOYS FAQ - The New Noobie questions thread

EXO

Freezing temperatures may render the plastic brittle. The difference in coefficient of thermal expansion between steel and ABS plastic over the ~75° F change is roughly 3mil (1/1000th inch) per inch, or 3mm per meter.

It doesn't seem like a very good plan to have plastic contracting around metal while being rendered brittle due to temperature.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

On 11/16/2017 at 1:53 AM, Sanity is Optional said:

Freezing temperatures may render the plastic brittle. The difference in coefficient of thermal expansion between steel and ABS plastic over the ~75° F change is roughly 3mil (1/1000th inch) per inch, or 3mm per meter.

It doesn't seem like a very good plan to have plastic contracting around metal while being rendered brittle due to temperature.

So would the toys be ok if the temperature stayed above the freezing point?

28 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

The less temperature variation, the better.

Also, it's better to not go through daily warm/cool cycles if possible.

Well they would stay there the whole winter and out of it in spring when I do the next collection swap. So the temperature variation would be kept to a minimum. 

My worries are those very cold winter nights where it goes well past the freezing point. I'm not sure if an extra layer of insulation would help a lot since they obviously don't produce heat to keep the temperature up inside.

Maybe the safest are the FansToys bots who are enclosed in a block of styrofoam All the toys are in their respective boxes enclosed in another box. With a layer of insulation it might keep the worst of the cold outside...

...on the other hand maybe it would be best to keep the toys inside over the winter.

Edited by Scyla

• 4 weeks later...

I have a toynami masterpiece Alpha that is starting to fall apart. Some of it looks fixable. Where would be a good place to get hobby screws? I don't want to buy 100, I'm probably going to need like 1 or 2, but I wouldn't be opposed to buying a small variety pack. the problem I'm having is that I need something with a diameter a little bigger than all the other Toynami screws while having a failry small head... the closest thing I could find was a motherboard screw but the head is too big on it.

4 minutes ago, jenius said:

I have a toynami masterpiece Alpha that is starting to fall apart. Some of it looks fixable. Where would be a good place to get hobby screws? I don't want to buy 100, I'm probably going to need like 1 or 2, but I wouldn't be opposed to buying a small variety pack. the problem I'm having is that I need something with a diameter a little bigger than all the other Toynami screws while having a failry small head... the closest thing I could find was a motherboard screw but the head is too big on it.

Not necessarily available in small quantities, but I suggest McMaster Carr. Fortunately they tend to be fairly cheap.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all, new to the forums but long time Macross and valkyrie fan. Having been out of the valkyire collecting game for a number of years, i have started to collect them again. I currently own a Yamato  Ivanov type sv-51 (my fave all time valk) Bandai hi metal r vf-2ss Silvie type with sap parts, sv-262 draken lll, Arcadia Roy Focker DYRL movie ver and have pre-ordered the soon to be released dx vf-31a kairos and Arcadia vf-0s premium. I have also recently bought a Arcadia YF-19 (reissue) through Nippon Yassan Does such a version exist or is it still the first release Nippon Yassan have advertised. Here's the link https://www.nippon-yasan.com/search.php?orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=yf-19&submit_search=Search

Cheers

51 minutes ago, TrickyCustomer said:

Thanks for the reply and info. Interesting, seems they got it right the first time then? Usually they have minor tweeks or additions when doing a reissue.

Nah. They've been doing that ever since. Think of the VF-1's. It's the same mold for the last 10 years. The only thing they did after 10 years after those 'option parts' that were included in Yamato's 30th Anniversary releases is to tweak small things but the big add-ons were the screw covers for Max and Millia reissues. But as for the YF-19, I think they got it the first time based on their current design that they did.

As you can tell by my avatar i am a big fan of Feff's Gigamesh power armor from Mac ll. Think we will ever see a figure of it? I know there is a resin kit out there, but it's quite rare i believe. The metal siren would be an interesting figure as well. Hopefully evolution either get good or bandai/arcadia step in and have a crack at doing mac ll valkyries etc.

gigamesh-feff.gif

DSCN0156.JPG

index.jpg

DSCN0152.JPG

va_1ss_metal_siren_profile_by_zeiram0034-d6pl3mr.jpg

57 minutes ago, jenius said:

Those have an uphill battle because repaints wouldn't sell. It took us this long to get a VF 2SS. The biggest Ray of hope would be the HMR line, Bandai has done some pretty cool things there.

I was excited for the nexx 1/60 vf-2ss but while I can't knock evolution for trying, they ultimately failed in my eyes. I have the HMR silvie version with sap parts on route. Should be a cool little valk to play with. 

• 4 weeks later...

For members who collect Macross Figures. How tall is the Ichiban Kuji Premium figures of Sheryl and Ranka Shudisuta Ver compared to Ranka in SQ Costume X Crossover? If so, can someone post a picture of them together? Just want to see how they look together.

Thanks in advance.

56 minutes ago, jenius said:

I would guess no... though a V3 in a few years or an HMR seems likely.

Yeah I knew it would be wishful thinking and delta is still the priority atm.  But even the Vf-1 is still being made so I have hope they will do another run at some point. Not a huge fan of hmr but understand the need for them. I'm looking forward to your 31a review @jenius hope yours and everyone else's arrives soon. 

7 hours ago, jenius said:

I think they'll use some anniversary as an excuse for a V3 incorporating lessons learned on newer toys regarding some joints and the matte finish.

An HMR would be a fun toy to fill in the gap.

How about that 1/35  VF-1j they teased a while ago?

• 4 weeks later...

I typically use From Japan.

I have used Buyee and Zen Market with no issues but they have more/higher fees and/or currency conversion fees. 

Edited by spacemanoeuvres
a word

4 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

More of a general retailer question, but does anybody have any recommendations for forwarding services from Japan to the US?

My original account in FromJapan was banned since I pre-ordered from a bogus seller and they offer no protection or work-around so I have to use paypal.

I still use FromJapan though (new account) since their fees is reasonable and they do allow changing the declared value of the package (important to me). If changing declared value is not needed, Buyee is almost close in terms of overall pricing.

If you will use FromJapan, just avail of the buyer plan that they have which offer protection/guarantee that you will receive your item (basically preventing my case before)

So using today's (May 4, 2018) eBay 15% off coupon, I picked up an Arcadia Roy Focker Movie Strike version VF-1S Valk.  However, the seller told me it's for a pre-order version due to come out in Q3/Q4 2018.  Has anyone heard of this??!  I can't find any info on this, even on Arcadia's site (and I can read some Japanese).  TIA.

45 minutes ago, yuletak said:

So using today's (May 4, 2018) eBay 15% off coupon, I picked up an Arcadia Roy Focker Movie Strike version VF-1S Valk.  However, the seller told me it's for a pre-order version due to come out in Q3/Q4 2018.  Has anyone heard of this??!  I can't find any info on this, even on Arcadia's site (and I can read some Japanese).  TIA.

Are you sure it's a VF-1S strike, not a VF-0S? 

1 hour ago, yuletak said:

As far as I know, there’s no preordering of Roy’s VF-1S Strike Movie Version from Arcadia for Q3/Q4 2018. The only Roy unit available for PO is his VF-0S Premium Finish Version which will get release this coming June 2018.

15 minutes ago, yuletak said:

VF-1S Roy, and VF-S Roy Premium have both already been released. Hell, I've got one on my shelf right now.

Ask for clarification from them, as to why they're selling an already released item as a Pre-order. Also with that release date they're outside EBay's window for disputes, and also outside EBay's policy for acceptable pre-orders.

9 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

VF-1S Roy, and VF-S Roy Premium have both already been released. Hell, I've got one on my shelf right now.

Ask for clarification from them, as to why they're selling an already released item as a Pre-order. Also with that release date they're outside EBay's window for disputes, and also outside EBay's policy for acceptable pre-orders.

Yeah, I know.  They've been released since 2016 for regular and 2017 for premium.  I've been trying to get the info out of them, and even asked for a link to the Taobao page they claimed to have info.  So far, nothing.

Does anyone know how the coupon code works?  Does eBay absorb the discount?