TOYS FAQ - The New Noobie questions thread

EXO

Hi, first post. I've been doing some reading in the form for a bit.

Some background: I was about 5 when I last had a old school chunky monkey Valk. Recently, I thought it would be nice to obtain a new one for my desk. A lot of internet research later I discovered how nice the toys had become, and also how incredibly expensive too.

I originally wanted a match for the DYRL VF-1s from the end of the movie, but I've found the 1/60 version going for $500 on eBay!

So I guess settling for the "mass production" or generic is fine, but even that is really pricey!

So, I guess my question is where does one find a "reasonable price"?

I assume that you are interested in a VF-1S Hikaru (the one with the red and black trim).

As stated by the others Arcadia released a very nice toy last month. It is still available for 15k Yen ($150). It is missing the Strike Parts add on set (the dark blue armor) which should be released by Arcadia down the line (no announcements yet). This toy is roughly 1/60 scale.

The chunky monkey was originally from Takatoku and in 1/55 scale. The molds where bought by Bandai after Takatoku had filed for bankruptcy in the late 80s. The original toys are expensive but Bandai re-released them a couple of times so you might be able to find a reissue for less the $500. I don't know the market for these toys so I cannot say for sure.

The Arcadia toy is pretty awesome so if you want a updated version go with that. It is more a collection piece as a toy but this version has already seen a couple of reissues and it is pretty solid. If you are not set on the chunky monkey I would go with this version. As stated it is still available so no hassle with shady ebay dealers who want to sell you only the box for 100 bucks. ^_^

Here is a link to the toy: http://www.hlj.com/product/ACA82019/Sci

It is available from other shops as well like amiami or nippon yasan. Ordering from overseas should not be a problem since these shops are specialized to deal with us dirty gaijin. :D

Edited by Scyla

Hey, quick question:

I don't usually collect Frontier stuff, so I'm not so knowledgeable about the renewals. I recently picked up the VF-25A Cannon Fodder and was looking to throw some super parts on it just for fun. I saw some cheap, used, super parts at the store.

Did Bandai make different super parts for both the original VF-25s and the renewals, or are the super parts the same/fit compatible for both? I'm betting these are the original super parts based on the copyright date (2007), so I wanted to double check.

The original Super Parts won't fit on the Renewal Valkyries. However the Super Parts for the VF-25A Renewal are gonna be released in the end of April 2014. MSRP is gonna be 5400 Yen.

You can order them here:

http://www.nippon-yasan.com/lang-en/macross/6193-macross-f-super-parts-set-for-dx-chogokin-vf-25a-messiah-valkyrie-regular-limited-edition.html

or any other shop that carries the Tamashii Webshop exclusive stuff.

To go with the designated Super Parts is in my opinion always the best solution because the color code is matching and the unit number is the right one (the marking on the leg armor. The correct number for the VF-25A is 27).

• 2 weeks later...

So, continuing my research I find that a DYRL 1s hikaru goes around 200 from Arcadia or a leftover Yamato. I can't seem to find strike packs for less than 200 either, which is WAY expensive. Also the two things packaged together seem to go for 450+ on Amazon or eBay.

At this point I'm thinking the best strategy is to get the 1S now and hope that Arcadia issues strike packs for something reasonable (I'm assuming they were originally sold for around $50) also assuming that the Arcadia strike parts will work for a Yamato v2

Otherwise the only other outlet for for a strike 1s is a 1/100 toynami, though I can get a series 3 set for $100 (3 different valks)

Please forgive any extraneous information as I am new

Edited by DuffCon

^ You've got some options, eBay and Amazon being the least attractive of the bunch. You could;

1) Wait for Arcadia to release a bundled set or the Super/Strike Parts separately

2) Browse the For Sale Section in the forums here to see if anyone wants to sell

3) Browse sites like Anime-Export (http://www.anime-export.com/index?prdcttype=all) or Mandarake (http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/ (use マクロス to search for Macross items)) for second hand or old stock items

4) eBay

5) Amazon

I would say have a little patience and keep an eye out for any official re-releases or good deals here on MW or on sites like the ones above.

Good luck.

-b.

Kanedas has pretty much said all the avenues for you to obtain the item. However, another option you can take is to use a proxy and bid on Yahoo Japan. The items there can be cheaper than most other sites. You just have to win the bids.

Otherwise, I'd stick with camping Mandarake. It has the better deals usually and no hassles of proxies. You just have to be fast enough to snag it up.

So, continuing my research I find that a DYRL 1s hikaru goes around 200 from Arcadia or a leftover Yamato. I can't seem to find strike packs for less than 200 either, which is WAY expensive. Also the two things packaged together seem to go for 450+ on Amazon or eBay.

At this point I'm thinking the best strategy is to get the 1S now and hope that Arcadia issues strike packs for something reasonable (I'm assuming they were originally sold for around $50) also assuming that the Arcadia strike parts will work for a Yamato v2

Otherwise the only other outlet for for a strike 1s is a 1/100 toynami, though I can get a series 3 set for $100 (3 different valks)

Please forgive any extraneous information as I am new

You can have my Arcadia VF-1S for $169 with the shipping included.

Edited by YF-29 Durandal

dont resort to toynami 1/100. while they seems to be decent little buggers, the money is better spent on an Arcadia or Yamato for first timers.

Ami2 is having a sale for the Anniversary valk 1J for around $80 + shipping, if you dont mind the color :

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-000334&page=top%2Fsearch%2Flist%3Fs_keywords%3Dvf-1j%24pagemax%3D20%24getcnt%3D0%24pagecnt%3D1

Or if you can settle with a 1A before getting a 1S, you can try here (about $105 before shipping) :

http://www.hkcollectibles.com/macross-robotech/7119-vf-1a-movie-with-optional-parts-30th-anniversary.html

You need them...yes...you do...every...single....one....out there....

It looks like people in general doesn't like the VF-1A cannon fodder very much.

I wonder if they like the VF-1J cannon fodder better?

Found a dent box Arcadia Hikaru on AmiAmi for 12960 :) ordered it, seems like people are paying around 4000 for shipping there so i guess about 165-ish usd. Not bad.

Awww and I have lowered my price to $170... oh well.

But if it's Hikaru that you want which I haven't got but maybe you will want a Roy later? :p

Edited by YF-29 Durandal

Found a dent box Arcadia Hikaru on AmiAmi for 12960 :) ordered it, seems like people are paying around 4000 for shipping there so i guess about 165-ish usd. Not bad.

Or you can always opt to SAL, but there are risks involve, if you are one o those daredevils.

yes, SAL daredevils. :p

Awww and I have lowered my price to $170... oh well.

But if it's Hikaru that you want which I haven't got but maybe you will want a Roy later? :p

Yeah, definitely want the hikaru - anything else wouldn't be the same to me. The end sequence of DYRL was my fave and my chunky from my youth was a skyfire gen 1, so this one takes me back to when I was 5. Worth every penny to remember a simpler time when a toy could make you so happy.

Depending on condition: $50-80 for VF-1A, $80-120 for VF-1J and $120-150 for VF-1S.

Add $20 if it comes with a FAST pack and $30 if it comes with a strike pack.

Strike pack is the one with the double barrelled cannon and it only comes with the VF-1S, iirc.

Edited by YF-29 Durandal

Are you trying to buy one? if you are, just don't.

Eh, if you happen to see one for the right price (i.e., cheap), I'd do it.

Similarly, I picked up a V1 1/72 VF-11B on the cheap a little while back. I just happened to see one with a really low bid on eBay, so I put in a slightly higher bid and ended up winning it.

I have my 1/60 V1 Max -1A on my desk at work. If some small accident were to befall it there, it would concern me a lot less than with my later, more expensive VFs.

I wouldn't have explicitly sought one out, but if I happen across deals on the older VFs, I'll always consider grabbing them.

I have been a member of Macross World for a long time, but I am just getting back into collecting valkyries. I fell in love with the Bandai Isamu YF-29 and ordered one from Nippon-Yasan, my first time directly ordering from Japan from someone other than HLJ. Now this may not be the best place for this, but I have a shipping question which kind of qualifies as a noobie question. I bought it at the end of December and the tracking number on Japan Post has said "Dispatch from outward office of exchange" since December 27th. The USPS site says, "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment". I paid for Air Mail Registered. No the question is, is this normal? I hope this works out as I had intended to order much more from them if this order works out. Like the YF-29 fast packs and the YF-30.

Thanks for the help and sorry if this is in the wrong location.

I have been a member of Macross World for a long time, but I am just getting back into collecting valkyries. I fell in love with the Bandai Isamu YF-29 and ordered one from Nippon-Yasan, my first time directly ordering from Japan from someone other than HLJ. Now this may not be the best place for this, but I have a shipping question which kind of qualifies as a noobie question. I bought it at the end of December and the tracking number on Japan Post has said "Dispatch from outward office of exchange" since December 27th. The USPS site says, "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment". I paid for Air Mail Registered. No the question is, is this normal? I hope this works out as I had intended to order much more from them if this order works out. Like the YF-29 fast packs and the YF-30.

Thanks for the help and sorry if this is in the wrong location.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Mine shipped on the 26th by SAL, the last update is "Dispatch from outward office of exchange", so it's been over three weeks. I've ordered plenty from Mandarake, but usually with them I order EMS and have never had a problem. This is my first time ordering from NY and first time ordering SAL. I posed this same question on the YF-29 thread... a few other guys on the forum received theirs in about two weeks. They were on the East Coast, same as me.

I'm told that SAL delivery time can vary quite a bit -- anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months.

^ ditto to the above re: Nippon-Yasan, even down to the same tracking info, using SAL Registered (Dec. 26th). The only difference is that I ordered (2) copies of the Isamu YF-29 and (1) has been delivered with the other sitting in tracking limbo.

I kind of panicked because my local Post Office has been uncharacteristically unreliable the last few weeks, even with EMS shipments that I had to track down on my own and go to the Post Office to pick up.

I guess patience is a virtue with SAL, but I absolutely will not ship that way again.

-b.