HG and Robotech Debates

Forget Love Live Alive, those new pages with Mint and co. in Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles could be the last official appearance of the Mospeada crew now. At least they didn't go out in an ambiguous blaze of glory like the last generations.

No. Technically, all the sequels except Macross II are sequels to SDFM TV. There's some fudging with the designs, however.

Indeed... Macross II is a sequel to DYRL, not SDF:M TV, but the rest are sequels to the SDF:M TV series.

You, um, really SHOULD watch some Macross at some point, you know... :)

I'll second that motion... :rolleyes:

Forget Love Live Alive, those new pages with Mint and co. in Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles could be the last official appearance of the Mospeada crew now. At least they didn't go out in an ambiguous blaze of glory like the last generations.

Nah, they were just sort of quietly deleted from the end of Mospeada as though they'd never been present... which is probably even less dignified. <_<

its too bad the artwork looks better than the shadow chronicles

Ariel actually looks like Ariel

I was referring to the original 36 episode Super Dimentional Fortress Macross series. From what I've heard (I'm not sure on this front) is that all other Macross series (Plus, &, etc.) are sequels to DYRL (I know that Macross II is, at least), which from what I've read was a re-imagining of the series. I kinda like the character designs from the original.

A sequel to that would be kinad cool.

Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, He's trying to open THAT can of worms.....

Taksraven

If were going that route we might as well just take the movie Showgirls and splice in shots from a random sci fi series and call it robotech.

Which would arguably be more true to the franchise's origins than a big-budget original-production Hollywood blockbuster. :p

At least he didn't post the Sentinels version.

That would be a much better comparison of the difference in art styles between Robotech and SDF Macross. Specially now HG is basing the remaining 'Macross Saga' characters on their Sentinels redesigns.

Edited by Moly_Sigang

That would be a much better comparison of the difference in art styles between Robotech and SDF Macross. Specially now HG is basing the remaining 'Macross Saga' characters on their Sentinels redesigns.

I agree especially when that cap is from Anime Friend the company that animated a large number of SDF Macross episodes (where obviously that comes from). Though I have to disagree with the use of the Sentinel designs. The characters yes but Tommy Yune has redesigned the whole cast.

No. Technically, all the sequels except Macross II are sequels to SDFM TV. There's some fudging with the designs, however.

You, um, really SHOULD watch some Macross at some point, you know... :)

Is that official?

In Macross Plus the Macross looks like the DYRL version. And in Frontier, the Macross type ship they find looks like it's from DYRL as well. And then there is Hikaru's DYRL colored Skull 011 VF-1A replica that's on top of the school. Even Klan's Queadluun appears more like Millia's in DYRL then the TV version.

I know you said there is some fudging with the designs, but other then the designs (which none point to SDFM if I remember correctly) what is there to reference to?

Is that official?

In Macross Plus the Macross looks like the DYRL version. And in Frontier, the Macross type ship they find looks like it's from DYRL as well. And then there is Hikaru's DYRL colored Skull 011 VF-1A replica that's on top of the school. Even Klan's Queadluun appears more like Millia's in DYRL then the TV version.

I know you said there is some fudging with the designs, but other then the designs (which none point to SDFM if I remember correctly) what is there to reference to?

If you remember episode 36, the Macross was severely damaged by Qamzin's kamikaze run. When UN Spacy repaired the Macross, both the Daedalus and Prometheus were replaced with ARMD units, as originally intended prior to Space War I (Daedalus and Prometheus were fitted on the Macross out of necessity).

Is that official?

Yes it's official. As I understand it the Macross was redesigned (possibly after Kamjin's attack) from the TV version to DYRL one. Even with the mixture of characters and mecha designs from both all future Macross sequels (except Macross 2) follow the timeline of the TV series.

Though I've heard that Shoji Kawamori wanted to follow the timeline set by DYRL. Is that true?

I agree especially when that cap is from Anime Friend the company that animated a large number of SDF Macross episodes (where obviously that comes from). Though I have to disagree with the use of the Sentinel designs. The characters yes but Tommy Yune has redesigned the whole cast.

Oh, come ON, people...the pic is posted was clearly meant as a joke, not as a serious comparison of two diffrent styles...

Siince DYRL is the movie within the TV series, the comparison above makes perfect sense to me. The real life Misa was probably a fairly normal looking woman. But when you're making the movie version of actual events you want to bring in a gorgeous actress :p.

It's like Sandra Bullock playing Leigh Anne Tuohy and Julia Roberts playing Erin Brokovich. (Admittedly these aren't great examples, as the two actual real people in question are actually not that bad looking)

Yes it's official. As I understand it the Macross was redesigned (possibly after Kamjin's attack) from the TV version to DYRL one. Even with the mixture of characters and mecha designs from both all future Macross sequels (except Macross 2) follow the timeline of the TV series.

Exactly. They actually tried to dock with the ARMDs immediately before the disastrous fold to Pluto.

Though I've heard that Shoji Kawamori wanted to follow the timeline set by DYRL. Is that true?

Last I heard, he said the truth was somewhere in the middle.

SDF is canon by virtue of being a far more complete story, but parts of DYRL(like finding the protoculture ruins on Earth) are supposed to have happened.

DYRL's Valks are "real" Valks, but they're period-incorrect and the result of neo-Hollywood using a newer revision of the VF-1s than the early models seen in the TV series.

And so on.

You should see Sentinels Miriya. Or micronized Breetai in his Sentinels Lucha Libre wrestler costume.

Lisa doesn't still look like that in Preludes to SC, does she? I know Rick is a Junichiro Koizumi lookalike these days.

Edited by hulagu

You should see Sentinels Miriya. Or micronized Breetai in his Sentinels Lucha Libre wrestler costume.

Lisa doesn't still look like that in Preludes to SC, does she? I know Rick is a Junichiro Koizumi lookalike these days.

She got chunky.

lisa.jpg

I don't care how she looks she's pushing 60.

I want to remember the characters when they are in there prime. Not 40 years later. All those wasted years. Sentinels would have cover only a small part but the Sentinels sucked.

Max & Milia of course break all the rules.

You know that wouldn't look so bad if her clothing fit properly. Also she looks very young for a 58 year old.

Don't know many 58-year-olds that wear a skirt that tight...or that short.