HG and Robotech Debates

You know that wouldn't look so bad if her clothing fit properly. Also she looks very young for a 58 year old.

Actually, lots of the characters who are supposed to be getting up there in years were designed fairly young for RTSC. Tommy Yune credits this to some wisdom from Tatsunoko, which was something to the effect of "write old, design young". Vince Grant is supposed to be like 54, but he doesn't look a day over 25.

Actually, lots of the characters who are supposed to be getting up there in years were designed fairly young for RTSC. Tommy Yune credits this to some wisdom from Tatsunoko, which was something to the effect of "write old, design young". Vince Grant is supposed to be like 54, but he doesn't look a day over 25.

The more I look at the more it shows that he almost has no knowledge of how clothing is supposed to fit someone.

Playing the ultimate Robotech fanboy for a minute,,,

"Lisa Hayes Hunter still looks young because during space folds, time slows down. The protoculture has that effect, allowing people to live longer in space, too. You Macross Purists don't understand that. It takes masters degrees to figure that out, or you have to be hardcore into Robotech. Even Macross designers were trying to copy Robotech by making Max and Miriya look young in Macross 7. They were trying to copy Robotech: the Sentinels. Robotech, the bestest ever, Macross purist!!!"

I'm sure the weirdos of the fan base would probably make some excuse like that, instead of just understanding the fact that the creative art director probably didn't want to have Robotech fans crap a house by jarring their vision of what the characters look like. As much as Rick looked like an old pasty whit guy, his facial design (save for the ultra buff comic book superhero body), is probably more intact with what he'd probably look like. But that's just my opinion, and if Shadow Chronicles was anime, I'd probably care, but it's not, so I don't.

Almost all established characters reappearing for whatever purpose should be spelled with quotations then. Sure, it's just part of a big, convenient joke designed for the fans in order to get into their wallets, but it still works. Draw or make up the craziest explanations and they'll eat it up.

It's "Lisa" for those abreast with the story.

The more I look at the more it shows that he almost has no knowledge of how clothing is supposed to fit someone.

If you look at the early concept art, it's pretty clear that's really a function of his complete inability to comprehend fiddly anatomical matters like the way spinal columns work and that wrists really shouldn't be as thick or thicker than the person's biceps. His early drafts of Vince Grant look like The Incredible Hulk, and there's still something wrong about how most of his female sketches have them standing ramrod straight, with their chests thrown out in a posture scientifically designed to cause intense lower back pain.

Tommy hasn't read Loomis. All he's doing is he draws some starched clothes and then a head on it from some reference.

That's not his worse.

If you look at the early concept art, it's pretty clear that's really a function of his complete inability to comprehend fiddly anatomical matters like the way spinal columns work and that wrists really shouldn't be as thick or thicker than the person's biceps. His early drafts of Vince Grant look like The Incredible Hulk, and there's still something wrong about how most of his female sketches have them standing ramrod straight, with their chests thrown out in a posture scientifically designed to cause intense lower back pain.

It's more so that her clothing looks more stripper like and less Military like.

But always remember until Rob Liefeld's work stops being publish there's always something worse.

Idk IF this would be NSFW so i'll just post a link

liefeldgirl2.gif

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

But that's their style! You just don't understand the dramatic and artistic stylization of professional artists like Rob and Tommy. Painters of Light do the teaching, not the learning. They're already become masters and the money proves it. Besides, doesn't being a comic book artist mean your drawings are hardcore awesome to even get the job? Good idea of Harmony Gold to hire one. If Tommy can draw a Speed Racer comic why not have him design a Robotech movie next?

This isn't much of a compliment but we all have to admit that Tommy's work is a hell of a lot better than many of the original Robotech comics... every now and then I see eBay listings for old comics and I actually laugh at how terrible they look.

It's more so that her clothing looks more stripper like and less Military like.

Really? I didn't get the same "stripperific" vibe from her that I got from Ariel and most of the other girls in Shadow Chronicles and Prelude. To me, the uniform looks more like an attempt to hide his usual stripperific drawing style under something that almost looks military-like.

Rob Liefeld is a genius. Tommy Yune is merely a poor imitation.

I hope to hell you're being sarcastic in regards to Liefeld. Both artists can't draw their way out of a f*cking paper bag in my opinion. Edited by Wanzerfan

But that's their style! You just don't understand the dramatic and artistic stylization of professional artists like Rob and Tommy. Painters of Light do the teaching, not the learning. They're already become masters and the money proves it. Besides, doesn't being a comic book artist mean your drawings are hardcore awesome to even get the job? Good idea of Harmony Gold to hire one. If Tommy can draw a Speed Racer comic why not have him design a Robotech movie next?

It's funny how all of that can come to a screeching halt when they're given a position which makes them act more like a manager than an artist. Tommy's work looks decent, but I'd like to see if he can maintain and improve on it when working on material on a regular basis like all other artists. You know, like on a comic book back in his day.

Does HG still wanna make the live action movie or has it been cancelled. Any confirmation. Thanks.

They're still announcing the LAM at their cons and even Carl Macek's funeral (very weird). French director Sylvain White was given a treatment and seems interested. Tommy Yune announced on the Robotech Espanol podcast that there'll be new RT projects for this year and possibly next year.

With my heart, full of darkness, I wish LAM comes out a) in the middle of summer and b)sharing the same weekend as any of the following flicks :p :

Star Trek XII

Bayformers IV

Avengers

Spiderman Reboot

Dark Knight III

Iron Man III

Random movie with a lot of boobs

Carl's still working there.

Tommy: "Hey Carl. How it's going there buddy? What do you think of my Shadow Rising script?"

Carl: "..."

Tommy: "It's fine as I wrote it? Thank you very much. You know, that's a good idea. This time we can write the final screenplay ourselves since we have experience from the last movie. So, what new products should we make this year?"

Tommy: "Absolutely. It's too early with the economy the way it is. We don't want to spoil the brand with confusing products. Time for the next meeting. Want me to help you up?"

Carl "..."

Carl's still working there.

Tommy: "Hey Carl. How it's going there buddy? What do you think of my Shadow Rising script?"

Tommy: "It's fine as I wrote it? Thank you very much. You know, that's a good idea. This time we can write the final screenplay ourselves since we have experience from the last movie. So, what new products should we make this year?"

Tommy: "Absolutely. It's too early with the economy the way it is. We don't want to spoil the brand with confusing products. Time for the next meeting. Want me to help you up?"

Carl "..."

That's in pretty poor taste...

I hope to hell you're being sarcastic in regards to Liefeld. Both artists can't draw their way out of a f*cking paper bag in my opinion.

No, Rob Liefeld is a genius... not an artistic genius by any means (unless you're counting "suck" as a genre of the fine arts) but rather a wizard at self-promotion whose talents allowed him to make frankly embarrassing amounts of money and become one of the most recognized figures in comics despite having only marginal artistic talent.

They're still announcing the LAM at their cons and even Carl Macek's funeral (very weird). French director Sylvain White was given a treatment and seems interested. Tommy Yune announced on the Robotech Espanol podcast that there'll be new RT projects for this year and possibly next year.

So, given his usual PR tactics, by new Robotech "projects" he means "new toys" or "new reprinted comic books". As he's already admitted that Harmony Gold is sitting on its collective hands waiting for Warner to fix the franchise's horrific reputation so they can get decent financial backing for the next animated movie, and the voice actors are maintaining that they were told Shadow Rising is on hiatus and haven't been contacted since, it's rather unlikely that the "new projects" are anything to do with continuing their lackluster Shadow Chronicles OVA.

That's in pretty poor taste...

Considering they unashamedly used the man's death AND funeral proceedings to pitch the Robotech-in-name-only live action movie, I think anything anyone here has to say is pretty much fair game and in far better taste than anything that's come out of the Harmony Gold offices in the past month or more.

Um, yeah. I think the timing is still a little off.

Oh puh-leeze... the man was an incompetent hack and a shameless liar who spent the vast majority of his career attempting to take credit for someone else's work. I'd say by now the man is fair game again, especially since Harmony Gold is gleefully and quite unashamedly riding his corpse's coattails in the name of promoting their crappy movie.

Did you see the Robotech the Movie poster at his funeral? I think his fans and business associates are way ahead of me in tastelessness which is what I was saying with that. Sorry if it was too mean.

Considering they unashamedly used the man's death AND funeral proceedings to pitch the Robotech-in-name-only live action movie, I think anything anyone here has to say is pretty much fair game and in far better taste than anything that's come out of the Harmony Gold offices in the past month or more.

Oh puh-leeze... the man was an incompetent hack and a shameless liar who spent the vast majority of his career attempting to take credit for someone else's work. I'd say by now the man is fair game again, especially since Harmony Gold is gleefully and quite unashamedly riding his corpse's coattails in the name of promoting their crappy movie.

Sorry, it doesn't fly.

One of the more refreshing aspects of this thread, as well as the site as a whole, is the tangible lack of trolling and flame-baiting. HG's practices aside, the comment was still a bit low, considering the standards that most people participating in this thread hold themselves to.

Just because HG's a festering pot of swill, and Carl Macek was a hack, doesn't mean we gotta sink that low. That's the kind of thing a certain podcaster does.

Damn you guys are making me want to watch Shadow Chronicles again...maybe I'll have a Sentinals SC double feature!

When you watch Sentinels, realize every line of dialogue Chamberlain wrote accuses another character of something, usually stupidity and the whole video is children arguing. Gaze into Vince's bulging eyes and see forever. Watch Lisa slice open her finger on her chin.

Rock out to the awesome music of Shadow Chronicles. Experience the vertigo of the opening credits and puke. When Daryl Taylor dies, feel the impact of his death deep in your heart, moving you to tears. Realize Shadow Chronicles looks like a sequel to the Sentinels video in it's art design and animation. Watch as Vince does something to the neutron S missiles that contradict the entire reason they make black holes. Learn that suicide is the answer and emo is sexy.