HG and Robotech Debates

I think I understand their reluctance to show cells of the movie while it is in production, If they show one new cell a month during that time the whole movie would be on the web before it got released...

I don't think they have to show a cell every month as they're already showing a "preview" video at the cons. But to not even mention anything online unless you look into the forums is not a good way to build hype though why build hype. The only reason we get updates on the forum is 1) when the negativity level gets too high and 2) so McKeevie can appear "cool". Unfortunately, neither tactic is very successful. I think announcing a working title rather than calling it a "sidequel" for a year would do wonders for the project.

Well, popped over to the rt.com site and Mckeevie actually gave an update:

"The sidquel is still in production. We like the footage that we have and are working on more. Animation, under any circumstance, is a slow process at best and with sidequel we are doing something a bit experimental. So it takes more time than it normally would but every one at Harmony Gold is very happy with the progress."

So is he saying they're the ones doing the animation for the thing and not a professional studio in Asia this time around? Not Dr. Movie or anyone that works on animation for a living, but Harmony Gold? If so, when did they get the capacity to do that?

I think that revealing who is actually doing the animation would really help the credibility of this production, because as of now news like this hasn't really been newsworthy outside of Robo-Tech and HG affiliated things. And that's saying much considering so far this year they've been going to conventions showing up rough work for this new production and only MEMO, out of the entire Internet it seems, took the time to make a big deal about it. Or have I gotten it all wrong and Robo-Tech and HG has already lost a lot of credibility from industries as well as fans?

Edited by Einherjar

I don't think they have to show a cell every month as they're already showing a "preview" video at the cons. But to not even mention anything online unless you look into the forums is not a good way to build hype though why build hype. The only reason we get updates on the forum is 1) when the negativity level gets too high and 2) so McKeevie can appear "cool". Unfortunately, neither tactic is very successful. I think announcing a working title rather than calling it a "sidequel" for a year would do wonders for the project.

This seems valid, although even if it does come out, if I see it, it's not gonna be because I bought it. I'll either watch it at someone else's house, or get a free copy. It just seems like this whole project is more of a piece of gum to fill the crack in a dam. Not only that, but we've already seen the "creative" efforts of the current staff, and well, I'm more than happy not to buy anything "new" from them.

So is he saying they're the ones doing the animation for the thing and not a professional studio in Asia this time around? Not Dr. Movie or anyone that works on animation for a living, but Harmony Gold? If so, when did they get the capacity to do that?

Your reading more into what was said then what was said. They had some test footage done (could have been in house but does not have to be), they like what they see and are ordering more.

I don't think they have to show a cell every month as they're already showing a "preview" video at the cons.

Either you are much better at wry humor then I, or you are taking my joke too seriously.

As for why they did not follow up SC with this new project more quickly, my guess is that despite the claims that the RT staff knows what they are doing - they thought that the live action movie was going to be out by now and didn't want anything they did getting in the way.

Your reading more into what was said then what was said. They had some test footage done (could have been in house but does not have to be), they like what they see and are ordering more.

Either you are much better at wry humor then I, or you are taking my joke too seriously.

As for why they did not follow up SC with this new project more quickly, my guess is that despite the claims that the RT staff knows what they are doing - they thought that the live action movie was going to be out by now and didn't want anything they did getting in the way.

Assuming it is an animation house and not HG, wouldn't they have made a contract to animate the entire project rather than testing out a company and then ordering more animation after liking what they saw? When they say they're "working on more" it sounds like they're making a series and we know that's not true.

Regarding LAM and, thus SR, I totally agree with you as the HG Triumvirate was constantly saying WB wanted Robo-Tech to be a tentpole franchise and wanted to capitalize on the genre due to the success of Transformers. However, now they're saying it's "a long process" and we fans just don't know how Hollywood works. McKeevie even gave examples about how some films take over a decade to see release (not the best argument to use when saying LAM isn't in development hell). As I've said before, this sidequel is just something to distract fans from the fact that they messed up the future of Robo-Tech by tying SR to LAM.

(By the way I know you're joking, I'm just super sarcastic from dealing with narcotic addicts trying to scam early refills at the pharmacy I work at :) )

Edited by ps99042

Assuming it is an animation house and not HG, wouldn't they have made a contract to animate the entire project rather than testing out a company and then ordering more animation after liking what they saw? When they say they're "working on more" it sounds like they're making a series and we know that's not true.

I'm sure they have a contract to animate the whole thing, but it is standard practice to animate part of it, check it for any problems and correct them before finishing. This is part of what makes the excuse for the SC animation "proportions" a joke, HG HAD to have seen test footage of the characters before giving the OK to animate the entire thing. The alternative is they had no idea what they were doing.

Well, popped over to the rt.com site and Mckeevie actually gave an update:

"The sidquel is still in production. We like the footage that we have and are working on more. Animation, under any circumstance, is a slow process at best and with sidequel we are doing something a bit experimental. So it takes more time than it normally would but every one at Harmony Gold is very happy with the progress."

The part that confuses me is where he says "We like the footage that we have and are working on more." If they didn't like the footage would they have stopped production? Or are they working on more footage because they decided not to use LLA footage after reading negative posts about doing so? That would also explain why it's not close to being completed as indicated by the posts. (Damn, I'm making conclusions about his posts again which got me banned).

And there's more:

"GOOD! We got some great stuff in the pipeline so keep that wallet ready.

What is important to remember is that this time last year we had people saying "nothing is going on..Robotech is dead." Yet:

- We had a documentary in production.

- We had a animated project in actvie devlopment about to be greenlit.

Fast forward to today May 23, 2011.

- Documentary is completed and we are working on distribution for it.

- Animated project is now in production.

Kevin McKeever

ROBOTECH.com"

That pipeline must be pretty small cause the only thing for sure coming out this year is another battle pod variant. Everything else is tentative. Maybe we'll get something excitingly random like Robo-Tech socks to match our Robo-Tech wallet and wristbands!

And if you keep talking about something that's supposed to be coming out but don't actually release it or at least publicize it even slightly on the main page, nothing's going on with Robo-Tech still. It has no retail presence at stores and it's presence online is limited to clearance items or items that have been unavailable for years. In fact, the only items online are those Macross items which aren't allowed to be sold in the US and sellers just lump then into the Robo-tech/Macross category. So yeah, Robo-tech, at least for now, is still dead though maybe next year it'll have a weak heartbeat.

I KNEW THE ORIGINAL PREMISE WAS LLA! I KNEW IT.

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

For anyone who was there when HG talked about the productions of Sentinels, 3000, and Shadow Chronicles, etc., was something along these lines said by people in the company as well before they showed something more official? If they did, well, look what happened to the final product(s).

Edited by Einherjar

So this documentary...umm... :rolleyes:

And the sidquel...thats a pipeline? I have to worry on a monthly basis to sell at least $300-400k in product and he calls that a pipeline? Man I wish my job was so easy.

Well, they did get some more Animeigo (sp?) editions of the Macross Boxed set, UN Spacy insignia shirts, and some more Robotech remastered dvds in. So yeah! That must be the exciting thing down the pipeline! Score for HG! :D

Edit: I also posted my thoughts in the thread at RT.com, should I be expecting a banhammer?

Edited by gaiden

So this documentary...umm... :rolleyes:

And the sidquel...thats a pipeline? I have to worry on a monthly basis to sell at least $300-400k in product and he calls that a pipeline? Man I wish my job was so easy.

Don't feel bad, I'm sure you make much more money then they do. I pointed out to Mckeevie that my job demanded results and I deliver, otherwise I'd be fired. He responded saying I don't know how the business works - kind of his generic answer to everything other than the other response "look, you didn't believe SC would come out but it did and it sold gangbusters". It's like talking to a broken record.

I wish someone would make a site dedicated to keeping tabs with the Harmony Gold hype machine. The goal would be to record every hyperbole and predictions that comes out of the horses' mouth (whether it be on a podcast, forum or convention panel). Would be good for a laugh or two.

Don't feel bad, I'm sure you make much more money then they do. I pointed out to Mckeevie that my job demanded results and I deliver, otherwise I'd be fired. He responded saying I don't know how the business works - kind of his generic answer to everything other than the other response "look, you didn't believe SC would come out but it did and it sold gangbusters". It's like talking to a broken record.

It's pretty obvious from his actions and decisions, that, neither does he. I'll go a step further and say he also doesn't know how marketing works, or merchandise production, distribution, and selling. Hell, aside from a long, dull convention panel on China, I don't think he knows much else. Then again, even that's questionable! :lol:

The RT Documentary is for those fans who can't go to the convention tour to listen to Tommy and friends talk about Robo-Tech's glory days. Now they have a chance to see Tommy and friends talk about Robo-Tech's glory days in their living room. :p

Also, he forgot to mention the soundtrack.

Edited by Moly_Sigang

Just wondering... every time I do a YouTube search on "Robotech", I keep coming up with some electropop song by Hyper Crush. Could HG be getting royalties from this song?

Hyper Crush - "Robotech"

Based off of certain mods making fools of themselves by actively altering robo and tech to pass far off speculation as fact, I'm sure this will come up as the new band that does the main theme for the next Robotech Live action. :lol:

The RT Documentary is for those fans who can't go to the convention tour to listen to Tommy and friends talk about Robo-Tech's glory days. Now they have a chance to see Tommy and friends talk about Robo-Tech's glory days in their living room. :p

Also, he forgot to mention the soundtrack.

Oh no! You just gave HG an idea for another product: The Robo-Tech Documentary Soundtrack! We can get a 1st release, a special edition featuring remastered tracks, then a special special edition featuring "lost" tracks, then an anniversary release 2 years after it would be due. :lol:

Oh no! You just gave HG an idea for another product: The Robo-Tech Documentary Soundtrack! We can get a 1st release, a special edition featuring remastered tracks, then a special special edition featuring "lost" tracks, then an anniversary release 2 years after it would be due. :lol:

Someone should Auto-tune one of the rt panels to see if it sounds good.

All jokes aside, I think a brief (not a two hour) documentary about the making of Streamline's 10th Anniversary Soundtrack would actually be interesting. From what Dennis Bateman (Tom's brother) told me, it was a long and arduos process. Various audio masters of varying quality were scattered all over the place because, let's be honest, no one ever thought there'd be any interest in preserving the soundtrack of a 1985 cartoon. Some audio masters were in such poor condition that they were purposely omitted and others were discovered too late into production to be included in the final cut. I used to joke with Dennis that he should "lend" me a copy of the latter tracks, but he was always professional about it and said that he legally couldn't. I think these latter tracks were the ones that were eventually added into Harmony Gold's 20th Anniversary release.

Based off of certain mods making fools of themselves by actively altering robo and tech to pass far off speculation as fact, I'm sure this will come up as the new band that does the main theme for the next Robotech Live action. :lol:

Maverick and McKeever probably think it's the hottest song ever recorded. I heard Yune and Yun brush each others teeth to it.

Maverick and McKeever probably think it's the hottest song ever recorded. I heard Yune and Yun brush each others teeth to it.

Yeah, you know it. I'm sure the song to them goes like...."Robotech....Technotronic" Yeah, I got an army of Valkyries aimed at your Robo-technotronic B.S. Here's looking at you, kid! B))

Uh...newbie question here...what's a sidiquel??

Having read this thread for a loooooooooong time. Is HG making a new Robotech movie or something?

Pete

I believe it's short for "Side Sequel"

It's a sequel to the franchise, but not part of the main storyline, and usually involves different characters.

Uh...newbie question here...what's a sidiquel??

Having read this thread for a loooooooooong time. Is HG making a new Robotech movie or something?

Pete

Its Maia Sterling's boobs from a right angle.

Three words for why there was not a game for SC: Lack of interest. Sales for Invasion were so bad that they didn't want to make any more Robotech games. It didn't help that both Invasion and Battlecry suck also...

I just got Robotech Battlecry on the regular Xbox again, today. Just wondering, what was keeping anyone from doing a SC 360 or PS3 game? It could be pretty fun if done right.

There is the mention that Robotech as a franchise in the video game market is a joke since Invasion. That's a given. Before WB got the license to possibly make a video game, there was no way that any company would put money into a new game with previous sales of Invasion. Not only that, the newest generation of console game systems are, from what I've been told, more costly, especially in light of the fact that most of the games use motion capture, and ever increasing technology. If there were to be another Robotech video game, it would probably be in regards to what sells, Macross. Probably not even giving Shadow Chronicles a second thought.

From what has been gathered thus far, WB has the rights to make a Robotech game now, since they'd probably want to do one if (doubt it) they make a live action flick.

I just got Robotech Battlecry on the regular Xbox again, today. Just wondering, what was keeping anyone from doing a SC 360 or PS3 game? It could be pretty fun if done right.

As Jasonc said, development budgets get higher all the time. To make a PS3/360 game look any good competitively I imagine they would need to invest at least the equivalent of the cost of production for the Shadow Chronicles movie.

I'm not a huge gamer, but I had Battlecry. It was decent, very hard though. Invasion could've been so much better if the character aspects weren't so generic. Then lack of the Legioss, and lack of higher quality designing killed it too.

Macross Trial Frontier has shown us just how awesome a next gen Macross console game "could" be. Now if they'd just make a full version...

You never know, it might come out with the BR of the second movie.

You never know, it might come out with the BR of the second movie.

And there's a market for that as well, because Macross hasn't skimmed the surface just to get by on their products. Those games are awesome. Having the Bluray of Frontier with the game is additional stuff that fans take in, and feel like they're getting more of a bargain, and feel like the franchise hears what they want. That's why it's such a fun, and easy franchise to enjoy.

Robotech? Beyond the staff making snide remarks and having a few moron drones work under them, even the product they put out, when they do on occasion, is half-@ssed. Yet they'll ride a high wave based on that half-@ssed product for a longer time than they should. It's quite a funny phenomenon to see.

And there's a market for that as well, because Macross hasn't skimmed the surface just to get by on their products. Those games are awesome. Having the Bluray of Frontier with the game is additional stuff that fans take in, and feel like they're getting more of a bargain, and feel like the franchise hears what they want. That's why it's such a fun, and easy franchise to enjoy.

Robotech? Beyond the staff making snide remarks and having a few moron drones work under them, even the product they put out, when they do on occasion, is half-@ssed. Yet they'll ride a high wave based on that half-@ssed product for a longer time than they should. It's quite a funny phenomenon to see.

You know what we should do, besides keep up with Macross? We should start to show more interest in Battletech and Mechwarrior, smiting HG in the process. It would be so funny if hype about Battletech surpassed Robo-tech.

Besides, their Xbox games were pretty cool. Better than Invasion.

Edited by blackconvoy_D01