HG and Robotech Debates

I THINK... that when they animate the skits, the producers usually have the rights to use the various toy images. because the legal status of Macross in the US, i doubt they CAN use Robotech images (due to the nature of world wide legalise)

can someone more knowledgeable speak up?

Didn't the original action figures for Robo-Tech characters have... questionable quality? Sure, would be for satire anyway, but can you really see them doing skits with them? They could make mock ups for the characters themselves, but legalities aside, imagine them using figures like this:

Lisa Hayes figures

Yep, I think the lack of Robotech on Robot Chicken is two fold - obscurity of the reference and crappiness of the merchandise. When people hear about my website they more often say "what's a Robotech" than "OMG I totally remember that show!"

Robot Chicken, I have never seen a Robotech reference on the show, that says something about the actual cultural impact and popularity of Robotech I think.
Yep, I think the lack of Robotech on Robot Chicken is two fold - obscurity of the reference and crappiness of the merchandise. When people hear about my website they more often say "what's a Robotech" than "OMG I totally remember that show!"

Who cares about Robotech these days? That is the question. I remember dropping by a toy shop and seeing a 60 year old man asking the sales lady for one of those shoddy, overpriced Alpha/Legioss fighter toys. I know these shows are supposed to "transcend" age but on that day I. felt. old.

If you guys feel up to it, why not check out these crude, albeit funny and disturbing Robotech parodies on Newgrounds?

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/75811

This one is about Global... on drugs.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/76372

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/76955

I like the fact that the author took the time to make a parody on Southern Cross.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/79606

If you want to know about Robotech, just ask rhade. He's a longtime old guard Robotech master from back in the days of Shadow Chronicles. He'll inform you noobs of the correct path. If you're lucky the master will even take you on as an apprentice Harmony Gold apologist and teach you all the exciting secrets of shadow technology. You will believe the LAM and Shadow Rising are coming out soon.

If you want to know about Robotech, just ask rhade. He's a longtime old guard Robotech master from back in the days of Shadow Chronicles. He'll inform you noobs of the correct path. If you're lucky the master will even take you on as an apprentice Harmony Gold apologist and teach you all the exciting secrets of shadow technology. You will believe the LAM and Shadow Rising are coming out soon.

So the 3+ years of waiting for another production has been worthwhile for people? I'm just seeing an endless cycle of people getting screwed repeatedly from Robo-Tech. And that's in every context of these words you can imagine.

Edited by Einherjar

You mean, he's still playing kiss-up to become a moderator? He was trying to do that since before I made my exit in 07. He may have to wait longer, as Maverick had been waiting a lot longer before he found new inspiration in living. :lol: Sometimes you gotta wonder what kind of life these over-zealous fanatics have outside of Robo-tech? When at work, do they long to go home and talk about Robotech online? Do they go to sleep, praying they dream about Robotech? Do they eat breakfast hoping their cereal will spell a Robotech character name? I mean, really. Is there anything else going on? To be devoted to a franchise that is so lackluster and undevoted to the word quality, Something not good is happening there.

At least, until you notice that every "informative" post of his is just rephrasing something someone else said... often with a few errors slipped in in the process.:rolleyes:

That depends, how many chicks would be there, and how nude would they be?

As many as Gubaba can call upAs far as the eye can see.Nude only at the rave. During the day ultra Hot Cosplay.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Let Bruce Timm's current WB animated feature group have a go at the franchise. Let them do original character/mecha designs, and have their own completely original take on the story.

I'm thinking Genndy Tartakovsky. Just look at Sym-Biotic Titan.

HG: Melting & breaking your toys for you since 1985!

That may explain why Shoulders "explode" on yamato's.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

I read what you posted on rt.com Legioss and I'm glad to see that there's still a couple people with common sense that haven't been banned from the site. I can't believe people there still say "HG is doing everything right" and "who cares about updating the site as long as we get new products" when Robo-Tech still isn't a household name, doesn't appear on any retail shelves (yeah I know some Best Buys have leftover DVDs but I'm talking in general), and rarely releases anything for someone to waste their money on. In the end, it doesn't matter though since the HG Triumvirate still think so highly of themselves that they can't be open to other ideas about marketing Robo-Tech. Pretty sad that it's almost June and, despite multiple con appearances, the Triumvirate still can't announce the title of the sidequel or even it's completion date since we all know we're not getting an actual product until next year at the earliest. <_<

The episode they made on how humans explain sex to the zentraedi is so wrong yet so hilarious.

I like the fact that Ben Dixon was very gung-ho about it.

Isn't that the entire point of this thread? And, while we're at it, I think this sums up that point, perfectly.

No need for the thread any more! YAY!!

Personally, I find the topic almost endlessly fascinating. Dare I say it seems to share similarities with the recent failed doomsday prediction and their ensuing backlash. How do the fanatics (who shall be nameless) cope with the disappointment?

QUOTE FROM DOOMSDAY PREDICTION FAILED ARTICLE: "If you have a strong leader, the group survives," DiTommaso told LiveScience. "Sometimes the group falls apart. Most often, the answer given by the group is that the prophecy is true, but the interpretation was wrong."

While Yun and McKeever are hardly the strong leader types, they have kept the "buzz" of the videogame, comics, animated and live action movie projects alive amongst the hardcore. We've also heard from that the problem has always been in the "interpretation" of their comments, and you shouldn't hold it against them.

A con artist would never set himself up for failure by giving a firm date.

Ooooh!! Anyone excited for the 2011 animated sidequel?

I just want to thank this site for properly differenciating Robotech and Macross, that was back when Yamato first announced they had the rights to making Macross toys. I grew up watching Robotech but watched Macross DYRL and was confused. Now I just cringe whenever I hear Robotech or anything attach to that and Harmony Gold.

Ooooh!! Anyone excited for the 2011 animated sidequel?

Oh, you mean the one that won't be ready for release until 2012? :lol:

I just want to thank this site for properly differenciating Robotech and Macross, that was back when Yamato first announced they had the rights to making Macross toys. I grew up watching Robotech but watched Macross DYRL and was confused. Now I just cringe whenever I hear Robotech or anything attach to that and Harmony Gold.

Yeah, that's a healthy reaction... there's a LOT that's cringe-worthy about Robotech and the people who make it.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

2012? That's a little optimistic don't you think?

Nah, from start to finish it only took Harmony Gold about two years to produce Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles... this "sidequel" thing they're working on is supposed to be even more of an amateur-hour mess than its predecessor, so it ought to be ready soonish. IIRC, didn't they say that the sidequel's animation would be completed this year, and that it'd be ready to roll next year? Since the closing of Wildstorm put the kibosh on their "let's endlessly re-release trade paperbacks of comics from ten years ago" routine, having nothing to show for 2011 would certainly explain why Tommy's suddenly so interested in having Palladium get its act in gear and finish the New Generation RPG sourcebook.

Just in time to celebrate "25 years of Robotech"... 2 years after the fact!

Business as usual, then?

I think sensible fans are afraid of how this sidequel may turn out. The only original "content" produced from the House of Yune was that horrible story treatment for the Shadow Rising sequel way back when. I'm not entirely sure how Yune can "wow" people with a "sidequel" that may not have the same budget of Shadow Chronicles. But who am I kidding? The majority of Robotech fans are so deprived of this stuff they'll eat ANYTHING up no matter how cheesy or mediocre it is.

Business as usual, then?

There's an upcoming con where the highlight is an autograph session with Steve "I'm kind of a big deal" Yun. For anybody in the "know", why would any fanboy want the web guy's signature on their Robotech merch?

Anybody? Please, someone enlighten me.

Edited by chrisk

I was packing my Robotech MPC's so I can sell them to get version 2 Yamatos. I couldn't help but to hum Morrissey's "You were good in your time and we thank you."

I was thinking of Morrissey's "Some Girls are Bigger than Others"

I was packing my Robotech MPC's so I can sell them to get version 2 Yamatos. I couldn't help but to hum Morrissey's "You were good in your time and we thank you."

Great decision, you'll probably come out nicely from selling them to someone who doesn't know that there's something better to buy out there. B)) I sold my set of VF-1s with the YF-1 (or whatever the hell Tommy calls it) for about $700 but ended up opening my Alphas so I could experience the hand crumbling first hand.

So, any news/updates from the Anime Central panel this past weekend?

Great decision, you'll probably come out nicely from selling them to someone who doesn't know that there's something better to buy out there. B)) I sold my set of VF-1s with the YF-1 (or whatever the hell Tommy calls it) for about $700 but ended up opening my Alphas so I could experience the hand crumbling first hand.

So, any news/updates from the Anime Central panel this past weekend?

Thanks! I'm just getting rid of the Macross versions. I have a Aoshima Legioss and Tread, they're staying put. I can't see keeping them anymore as the newer Yamato stuff without shoulder problems are out there. I've been wanting to do this for a while.

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

Well, popped over to the rt.com site and Mckeevie actually gave an update:

"The sidquel is still in production. We like the footage that we have and are working on more. Animation, under any circumstance, is a slow process at best and with sidequel we are doing something a bit experimental. So it takes more time than it normally would but every one at Harmony Gold is very happy with the progress."

The part that confuses me is where he says "We like the footage that we have and are working on more." If they didn't like the footage would they have stopped production? Or are they working on more footage because they decided not to use LLA footage after reading negative posts about doing so? That would also explain why it's not close to being completed as indicated by the posts. (Damn, I'm making conclusions about his posts again which got me banned).

And there's more:

"GOOD! We got some great stuff in the pipeline so keep that wallet ready.

What is important to remember is that this time last year we had people saying "nothing is going on..Robotech is dead." Yet:

- We had a documentary in production.

- We had a animated project in actvie devlopment about to be greenlit.

Fast forward to today May 23, 2011.

- Documentary is completed and we are working on distribution for it.

- Animated project is now in production.

Kevin McKeever

ROBOTECH.com"

That pipeline must be pretty small cause the only thing for sure coming out this year is another battle pod variant. Everything else is tentative. Maybe we'll get something excitingly random like Robo-Tech socks to match our Robo-Tech wallet and wristbands!

And if you keep talking about something that's supposed to be coming out but don't actually release it or at least publicize it even slightly on the main page, nothing's going on with Robo-Tech still. It has no retail presence at stores and it's presence online is limited to clearance items or items that have been unavailable for years. In fact, the only items online are those Macross items which aren't allowed to be sold in the US and sellers just lump then into the Robo-tech/Macross category. So yeah, Robo-tech, at least for now, is still dead though maybe next year it'll have a weak heartbeat.

And if you keep talking about something that's supposed to be coming out but don't actually release it or at least publicize it even slightly on the main page, nothing's going on with Robo-Tech still.

I think I understand their reluctance to show cells of the movie while it is in production, If they show one new cell a month during that time the whole movie would be on the web before it got released...

I think it's possible that many of us, unbeknownst to all at the time, may have actually caused them to 1)Not use LLA because we called it very early through good intel. and 2) Redo what they had been doing and thus, alter the release time. Now mind you, they still could end up using the LLA stuff and maybe alter it a bit, but we'll see.

The thing I don't understand is, why didn't they decided to do something like this when the iron was hot? When they had many more people interested in the franchise, they could've did something like this, and would have made much more than this thing could make now. These guys really aren't doing the franchise any good, and have been stunting it for awhile now. They've turned the franchise into a joke for us to laugh at. I can't believe that that the last thing I bought from them was the Red fighter, and that was how long ago???