HG and Robotech Debates

Guess Kevie's right about not using rt.com to advertise the new sidequel since no one visits the site anymore. Luckily, I'm sure we'll be hearing news soon since the summer con season is right around the corner. I still find it surprising that no one other than Memo has jumped online to talk about the preview shown at cons though.

Really, I doubt it... witht the "sidequel" supposedly delayed until next year and nothing else on the horizon for Robotech, this should be exactly like every other convention tour they've ever done. They'll talk a big game and make lots of extravagant claims about how influential and important Robotech is, and they probably won't STFU about China, but in the end it's just going through the motions... an utterly pointless exercise to distract the stupid and spendthrift in the fanbase from their lack of measurable achievements. Mind you, after MEMO reported that the preview was anticlimactic, that was a pretty clear sign that nobody with even a tiny bit of objectivity was going to jump at the chance to plug it online.;)

A short and quick response from my personal experience - no, you might hear nothing significant about Robo-Tech this summer, but expect MEMO to make a big deal about whatever happens. That's really all he does online. But hey, like every other year there might be a slim, slim chance that you'll hear something exciting coming around... projected in about a year following the announcement.

Y'know, I half-expect that one day it'll come out that this whole convention tour business was a clandestine and poorly thought-out experiment in non-linear time.

Actually, that might not be true. Followers of the Palladium RPG will definitely get something involving Robo-Tech.

Spot on... word from Palladium is that Kevin Siembieda had a sitdown with Tommy Yune not too long ago, and that Tommy wants them to get 2-4 new Robotech books out before year's end. Considering Palladium's track record with release dates, particularly with Robotech books, this is pretty much an impossible request. They've been working on the New Generation source book for something like two years now (or so I'm told), and there's still no sign of an imminent release. The same goes for the supposed "UEEF Marines" book, and the "Spaceships" book was canned after Palladium fired the writer assigned to the project. There's a rather substantial amount of discussion about it on Palladium's website, where a fair few people are suggesting the reason that Palladium's Robotech line has been delayed so often and so badly is that Harmony Gold is insisting on major changes to those books AND/OR that Palladium responded to it by putting Robotech books on a lower priority than their own original content.

Sounds to me like Tommy Yune is trying to get Palladium to cover his arse by churning out a few Robotech releases so he'll have something to show for 2011, in the absence of new animation for the sidequel and progress on Shadow Rising and the allegedly not-yet-dead live-action movie.

Speaking of banned... I'm thinking I'll get the ax for this one:

Things you DON'T like about Robotech Thread

magna_mozz69

Subject: HA!!!!

Posted on: May 14, 2011 - 2:52:14 PM

1-Kevin McKeveer

2-HG Executive management for mishandling the RT franchise.

3-HG co*k blocking wall disallowing Macross into the states, so that RT fans can remain stagnate with this withering brand.

4-Tommy Yune's lack of muster when it comes to aggressivly push new designs, expanding on the RT mecha line.

5-HG creative teams lack of ability to meet deadlines with media productions.

6-Giving product to limited markets while the primary market clamors for revised material or new material.

7-The fact the HG doesnt listen to fans who live in the real world, who spend money on product.

8-For not being smart, and releasing Macross in the states as a seperate entity.

9-HG having nothing but complete and unyielding ammounts of fear of failure.

Sorry but I've really had it with Robo-Tech.

I wouldn't be surprised either. They'll ban for "attacking the staff", when it's all true. In reality, it's not like you'd be missing anything though. You're just another person not able to purchase anything from their store. Oh well.

Yeah Black, you're going down for that post. :D I was just thinking about all that talk about Palladium and their releases - I totally agree with Seto that there's no way they'll get 4 books out by year's end when they've been struggling with 1 book for 2 years. Still, what I find interesting is how Kevie's spin on the cancellation of the Robotech trades is due to a struggling market for comic books and print material (rather than the absorption of Wildstorm into DC) but then you see them trying to peddle out Robotech RPGs like they're the in thing. I know there's a market for RPGs but do these books really make HG more money than comic books? I would think HG would be trying to make a deal with a publisher like IDW to get some "highly demanded" reprints on the shelf rather than begging Palladium.

I wouldn't be surprised either. They'll ban for "attacking the staff", when it's all true. In reality, it's not like you'd be missing anything though. You're just another person not able to purchase anything from their store. Oh well.

"Cry-cry"

"Cry-cry"

LOL, your @ss is grass on rt.com, (j/k). I think their ban policy is turning in on themselves and consuming themselves. Call all these posts complaining, rants, raves, whatever, but they're still true. Seems like you've reached the end of the B.S. rope. At this point, you may as well make some popcorn, get a nice seat, and watch the RT zoo animals fling poo at each other. I think that's what my RT fan friends have been doing as of late. Quite fun if you try it.

Looks like you hit the nail on the head with the reaction you were going to get blackconvoy_D01, and surprise, surprise it was good old Mav who did it, I wouldn't be surprised if he saw what you posted here before looking at the thread on RT.com.

http://robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=2094746&forumid=11&pagenumber=3#post

For the benefit that he CONSTANTLY visits this forum....Maverick is, and always will be a punk "MARK" in Robotech fandom, living off his "Paramount quaking in their boots." statements living in a world of fantasy. Additionally, Seto can tell you what the "LSC" in his s/n means. Personally, I always thought it was Loves_Shadow_Chronicles.

It's a pure ego stroke with him and MEMO so it shouldn't come as a surprise. The whole "send an apology to Steve" is laughable. Again I ask, WHAT EXACTLY DOES STEVE YUN DO AT HG???? 'Cause maintaining Robotech.com.............PPPLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEE!

I say what I have said many occasion on my podcast/blog.......EASY MONEY FOR STEVE.

Those jerks at HG couldn't carry a franchise if it had handles and they made Steve carry it so that he can earn his keep....

I really don't get why Mav decided to post that Black got banned in addition to removing the post as responding to it just helps fan the negative flames. I would think Mav would just delete the post and maybe send a PM. Still, at least they're giving you another chance to piss them off. After I made McKeevie cry, he warned me about a ban so when I posted supporting some negative fans on Facebook in a diplomatic manner, I got banned without even knowing. <_<

I got banned without even knowing. <_<

They banned me for posting drunk LOL. Actually, they were pissed after Tom left HG, I posted "Good luck, Tom! I hope your new employers aren't petty (not that your last employers were)." But me posting drunk was the excuse.

They banned Jason after Tom was let go, and they blamed it on a statement he said (if I remember correctly) where he complained about the DVD art and said "Who designs that stuff, anyway?" They took that as personal because a) Tommy designed it and B) Jason was supposed to know that, so therefore - Jason made a direct attack on Tommy.

And then afterwards a bunch of people that Tom, Jason and I hang out with who were mods had their mod privileges quietly taken away.

At what point does moderating the forum about your product become more important that actually producing new product?

Back in the day, it was Steve who laid down all of the bannings, because he was "web guy," but I heard in reality it was Tommy more or less acting as Steve the whole time, and that Steve really did not give one poop about who said what. Is that true? I don't know. Believable? Yes. That would explain the 5 year development of a 90 minute animated movie that was mediocre at best.

I was just thinking about all that talk about Palladium and their releases - I totally agree with Seto that there's no way they'll get 4 books out by year's end when they've been struggling with 1 book for 2 years.

Honestly, at this rate I'd be surprised if Palladium managed to get the New Generation sourcebook finished and printed before the end of summer. On Palladium's own website, the general mood of the populace seems to be that we'll be lucky if the book comes out before year's end. Getting as many as four books written, edited, and into print before year's end is absolutely impossible with Palladium's resources even if they didn't have to contend with Tommy's editorial veto power over their contents.

Still, what I find interesting is how Kevie's spin on the cancellation of the Robotech trades is due to a struggling market for comic books and print material (rather than the absorption of Wildstorm into DC) but then you see them trying to peddle out Robotech RPGs like they're the in thing. I know there's a market for RPGs but do these books really make HG more money than comic books?

I'm sure any marketeers among us will resent me saying this, but deception (lying) is a fundamental part of marketing. The mark of a good marketeer is that they can tell a convincing, plausible-sounding fib to the customer to promote your products or at least to do a passable job of covering your arse when things go pear-shaped. Kevin is, as you know, not a very good marketeer. The man just doesn't have a clue how to tell a convincing lie. I'm not sure if he's just afraid of accidentally offending the few companies which are still willing to do business with Harmony Gold, or he's just a complete idiot, but either way he does more harm than good whenever he opens his mouth.

As far as the market for RPGs goes... Palladium's Robotech RPG doesn't appear to have ever really been a strong seller. Before I was banned from Robotech.com, the most common reason I found that Robotech fans were buying the RPG books had nothing to do with actually playing it. Most of them used it as a kind of tech manual and encyclopedia for the Robotech universe, since there's never been much in the way of printed reference material for Robotech. Out here, I have yet to find a hobby shop that stocks any of the new Robotech RPG books at all... and if the devoted hobbyists on Palladium's own forums are anything to go by, they fans are generally dissatisfied with the new books. In particular, printing the books "manga-size" (which means far fewer pictures) is really loathed by the hobbyists.

For the benefit that he CONSTANTLY visits this forum....Maverick is, and always will be a punk "MARK" in Robotech fandom, living off his "Paramount quaking in their boots." statements living in a world of fantasy. Additionally, Seto can tell you what the "LSC" in his s/n means. Personally, I always thought it was Loves_Shadow_Chronicles.

Yeah, he's actually kinda creepy in that regard... ever since he got banhammered for ineptly trying to troll me in this thread, he's been creeping my profile page here (and those of a few of my friends) to see what I'm posting. After the last spate of bannings, I think he's trying to 1.) intimidate me, and 2.) see if I'm posting on robotech.com under an alias or something.

I don't even remember the Invid War series but I remember the Malcontent Uprisings being a cool idea. Too bad the art was totally horrendous. Still, you gotta give those old indie comic companies props for trying to continue and expand the Robotech storyline. I wish HG would try to do the same but I guess they'd need a brand new batch of employees.

At least Michael Ling's artwork was better than the Waltrip bros., but not by much. My favorite Malcontent Uprisings issue happens to be #7, my favorite panel being the one where Breetai gives this one Army of the Southern Cross grunt the Big Bad Boot to the face.

Yeah Black, you're going down for that post. :D I was just thinking about all that talk about Palladium and their releases - I totally agree with Seto that there's no way they'll get 4 books out by year's end when they've been struggling with 1 book for 2 years. Still, what I find interesting is how Kevie's spin on the cancellation of the Robotech trades is due to a struggling market for comic books and print material (rather than the absorption of Wildstorm into DC) but then you see them trying to peddle out Robotech RPGs like they're the in thing. I know there's a market for RPGs but do these books really make HG more money than comic books? I would think HG would be trying to make a deal with a publisher like IDW to get some "highly demanded" reprints on the shelf rather than begging Palladium.

Funny that Palladium's biggest seller is Rifts; most of the Robotech books were pretty good except for one, Lancer's Rockers. Too bad that the combat system utterly sucks king-size donkey dicks. I used to collect the books, too (they were cheap compared to the other stuff, now I see why). It's one of the reasons why I'm thinking of getting back into Earth Dawn, at least that system was interesting (that game was probably one of the sources for the Dragon Age franchise).

I wouldn't be suprised that Kevin will lose the license to Wizards of the Coast and their D20 juggernaut (too bad 4th editon of Dungeons and Dragons turned me off).

I really don't get why Mav decided to post that Black got banned in addition to removing the post as responding to it just helps fan the negative flames. I would think Mav would just delete the post and maybe send a PM. Still, at least they're giving you another chance to piss them off. After I made McKeevie cry, he warned me about a ban so when I posted supporting some negative fans on Facebook in a diplomatic manner, I got banned without even knowing. <_<

Well I'll have my privledges restored if I send Steve an apology email. I sent Steve an email. But you all know I'm not apologizing.

They banned me for posting drunk LOL. Actually, they were pissed after Tom left HG, I posted "Good luck, Tom! I hope your new employers aren't petty (not that your last employers were)." But me posting drunk was the excuse.

They banned Jason after Tom was let go, and they blamed it on a statement he said (if I remember correctly) where he complained about the DVD art and said "Who designs that stuff, anyway?" They took that as personal because a) Tommy designed it and B) Jason was supposed to know that, so therefore - Jason made a direct attack on Tommy.

And then afterwards a bunch of people that Tom, Jason and I hang out with who were mods had their mod privileges quietly taken away.

At what point does moderating the forum about your product become more important that actually producing new product?

Back in the day, it was Steve who laid down all of the bannings, because he was "web guy," but I heard in reality it was Tommy more or less acting as Steve the whole time, and that Steve really did not give one poop about who said what. Is that true? I don't know. Believable? Yes. That would explain the 5 year development of a 90 minute animated movie that was mediocre at best.

Ah, the good ol' days, hahaha. I criticized the poster that just had a locket on it. And, the reason why I didn't know it was Tommy, is because a lot of feature work like that isn't done directly from the people working on a film, but are sent to design firms, and to advertising agencies. I asked who did that poster, because it said nothing about the movie in one bit. Nothing about mecha, aliens, space ships, drama, just a locket that only more hardcore fans would know. To me, I wasn't surprised that the release of RTSC didn't gain any new fans. They only marketed to the older fans.

That was one of the reasons I got demoted. I got banned for posting this, as I kept the original post...

I won't post the details here, but can go through the details via email. But my well wishes did get deleted here, again. There seems to be a

problem with me knowing Tom.

Anyways, as I said before, Tom is doing very well, and is definitely keeping a good hand in the "anime" industry. As for specifics on what

he is doing, I'll have to leave that up to him, but he is doing very well.

I do know he intends to still be around, keep up with the fans, and do what he always used to do,,,

be the #1 fan. It's not everyday you meet someone who can do all he did for Robotech, interact with the fans, get the voice actors together,

and run the store, and still manage to keep a pleasant sanity. What Tom did was priceless, and will probably still be known as Mr. Robotech

by the many people I know.

Apparently, somewhere in this nice message, is a vicious attack on all the HG staff, full of hate, despise, and bitterness, in which I'm calling up demons from the underworld to slay the HG staff and eat their unborn children :wacko: I think they just didn't like the fact that people liked Tom and were friends with him, not just because of some animated show. They told me I "needed to cool off for a few weeks", and instead of apologizing, I let them have it in regards to the made up sh!t they conjured up, and could never get straight answers, which made it even more obvious I was dealing with unprofessional, petty hurt feelings. As it's not my style, that made the decision quite easy.

I'm going to guess that Transformers 3 is being rushed to theaters this summer because Paramount must still be quaking in their boots. Anyone want to bet that we'll probably see Transformers 4 and 5 before we see the Robotech live-action movie. Oh wait, that won't happen will it, since there probably never will be a Robotech live-action movie.

I'm going to guess that Transformers 3 is being rushed to theaters this summer because Paramount must still be quaking in their boots. Anyone want to bet that we'll probably see Transformers 4 and 5 before we see the Robotech live-action movie. Oh wait, that won't happen will it, since there probably never will be a Robotech live-action movie.

It's even funnier when the person who said that, and the other lackeys proclaims to "know how Hollywood works". I think for that, if there's anything that is truly known, is that they're full of $h!t.

Right, the RTLAM isn't even in WB's top priority. For all we know, they could just sit on the Robotech license for 10 to 15 years. The RT fans shouldn't expect too much because they're heading for a big disappointment.

Right, the RTLAM isn't even in WB's top priority. For all we know, they could just sit on the Robotech license for 10 to 15 years. The RT fans shouldn't expect too much because they're heading for a big disappointment.

It would probably be more accurate to say that Robotech fans shouldn't expect ANYTHING, lest they end up headed for a big disappointment.

It would probably be more accurate to say that Robotech fans shouldn't expect ANYTHING, lest they end up headed for a big disappointment.

Perhaps a limited US edition, Robo-tech.com exclusive black hole void. Created by, and thanks to the Neutron-S missile! Or is it Nuetron? Spell check McKeever! Spell check Mr. Yune.

Perhaps a limited US edition, Robo-tech.com exclusive black hole void. Created by, and thanks to the Neutron-S missile! Or is it Nuetron? Spell check McKeever! Spell check Mr. Yune.

Sounds about right... :lol:

Still... realistically speaking, the only way that the live-action Robotech movie is likely to see the light of day is if it comes out as one of those horrid direct-to-video, shoestring budget, amateur-hour embarrassments like Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation. The management at Warner Bros clearly doesn't see Robotech as the guaranteed blockbuster Harmony Gold (or rather, the Tommy Yune stooge squad) occupies itself by telling the fans it is. If they did, they would've moved on it by now instead of dragging their heels for over four years. Robotech is not a deep or complex story... evil aliens attack Earth to get back their magic flower fuel, humanity fights back, both sides massacre each other, lather-rinse-repeat. This should be the kind of script that any halfway-competent writer would find deeply insulting, and any hack could fart out over a single pizza-and-beer-fueled weekend.:rolleyes:

Their is such a thing as development hell.However while I doubt we will see a Robotech movie anytime soon, I wouldn't be surprised if it was tossed around for ~10 years or so as many properties suffer the same. There is a possibility it may come out one day (while I doubt ANYTIME soon) but I wouldn't guarantee it won't ever. Sometimes things like this have away of doing something.

Sounds about right... :lol:

Still... realistically speaking, the only way that the live-action Robotech movie is likely to see the light of day is if it comes out as one of those horrid direct-to-video, shoestring budget, amateur-hour embarrassments like Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation. The management at Warner Bros clearly doesn't see Robotech as the guaranteed blockbuster Harmony Gold (or rather, the Tommy Yune stooge squad) occupies itself by telling the fans it is. If they did, they would've moved on it by now instead of dragging their heels for over four years. Robotech is not a deep or complex story... evil aliens attack Earth to get back their magic flower fuel, humanity fights back, both sides massacre each other, lather-rinse-repeat. This should be the kind of script that any halfway-competent writer would find deeply insulting, and any hack could fart out over a single pizza-and-beer-fueled weekend.:rolleyes:

You my friend are absolutely incorrect...There was nothing worse then Starship Troopers 3:Marauder. It would be unfair to make a comparison when there is a much better example to make. ;) The oozing cheese and disorganized storyline from that film seems to be right up HG's alley and would probably be a good template for a LAM under the current creative team.

Robotech's chances of being blockbuster ended when ID4 came out...since then there have been at least a half dozen "big budget blockbuster" alien invasion movies. The only factor that will make Robotech stand out is the culture factor...but then again there has to be another movie where Earth's capacity to love was a factor in winning an interplanetary war. So imo there won't be a huge uproar with a new generation of fans akin to what Transformers made with its LAM series, instead this will probably go the way of Battlefield: Los Angeles...in and out without a trace.

The fact that a Smuf's movie both "exists" and beat them to market says it all. WB doesn't care, Toby isn't even in their main stable anymore, and the rights are going to wind up right next to the ark of the covenant.

Their is such a thing as development hell.However while I doubt we will see a Robotech movie anytime soon, I wouldn't be surprised if it was tossed around for ~10 years or so as many properties suffer the same.

Yeah, that's the thing... if you take the statements made by Harmony Gold's representatives at face value, the whole reason Warner Bros acquired the live-action movie rights to Robotech was to capitalize on the success of Paramount's Transformers and the 80's revival trend. Putting it off for ~10 years would completely defeat the point of having acquired the rights to compete with the Michael Bay Transformers movies... Robotech will be even more of a nonentity then than it is now, and the bubble they were hoping to ride with it will have burst long ago. The longer they sit on it without doing anything, the greater the chances are they they never will do anything with the rights.

You my friend are absolutely incorrect...There was nothing worse then Starship Troopers 3:Marauder. It would be unfair to make a comparison when there is a much better example to make. ;) The oozing cheese and disorganized storyline from that film seems to be right up HG's alley and would probably be a good template for a LAM under the current creative team.

Goodness... my heartfelt apologies. I'm sure having to watch that film was traumatic for you.:lol:

(I was lucky enough to have avoided Starship Troopers 3: Marauder altogether, by the simple expedient of avoiding anyone who was likely to give me a copy as a well-intentioned gift)

Robotech's chances of being blockbuster ended when ID4 came out...since then there have been at least a half dozen "big budget blockbuster" alien invasion movies. The only factor that will make Robotech stand out is the culture factor...but then again there has to be another movie where Earth's capacity to love was a factor in winning an interplanetary war.

Assuming, of course, that the "capacity to love" part makes it through the adaptation process intact. Robotech fans seem to think Carl Macek's post-facto arse-covering is practically holy scripture, so they're likely to want to pursue his final position on the show, which was basically that "music and all that wasn't important to the story, Robotech is about humans shooting evil aliens".

Its true. There isn't any hint of romantic theme in almost anything Robo-tech other than the 85 episode mash up. Even BSG has a hint that love saves the day.

Oh, but you forget Louie and JANICE...robot love. You also forgot Maia Sterling and Marcus Rush, some of the most forced, contrived love interests in our section of the galaxy. Kinda puts Star Wars the Phantom Menace up there with Casa Blanca, and Gone With the Wind as far as romance and drama. :lol:

Oh, but you forget Louie and JANICE...robot love. You also forgot Maia Sterling and Marcus Rush, some of the most forced, contrived love interests in our section of the galaxy. Kinda puts Star Wars the Phantom Menace up there with Casa Blanca, and Gone With the Wind as far as romance and drama. :lol:

You mean robosexual. Also, support Proposition Infinity everyone!

You mean robosexual. Also, support Proposition Infinity everyone!

Yeah, but don't blame that on Tommy, as he says, "you know those young Korean animators".

Oh, but you forget Louie and JANICE...robot love. You also forgot Maia Sterling and Marcus Rush, some of the most forced, contrived love interests in our section of the galaxy.

Granted, there are those few horribly stilted and false-feeling "romance" moments in Shadow Chronicles... but unlike the romances from the "original" series, they have nothing to do with the plot. Maia's supposed attraction to Marcus screams "obligatory romantic interest for the main character", and Louie might as well be romantically linked with a ham radio set for all it matters to the story. It's like whoever wrote Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles had only the vaguest idea how men and women interact, and contrived to just toss a romance in to tick off another box on a "obligatory Robotech cliches" checklist.

Granted, there are those few horribly stilted and false-feeling "romance" moments in Shadow Chronicles... but unlike the romances from the "original" series, they have nothing to do with the plot. Maia's supposed attraction to Marcus screams "obligatory romantic interest for the main character", and Louie might as well be romantically linked with a ham radio set for all it matters to the story. It's like whoever wrote Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles had only the vaguest idea how men and women interact, and contrived to just toss a romance in to tick off another box on a "obligatory Robotech cliches" checklist.

Perhaps they were basing the romantic aspects from personal experience. Hence robot love!

I think the only relationship that had an inkling of flavor to it in SC was Scott and Ariel. I think it could've been expanded on, and possibly supported the whole movie as far as side plot was concerned. You'd think with fresh perspectives they would've done so much more with regards to plot, subplot, and so on.

I wrote a fanfic of SR, where Ariel and Scott actually concieve a child. Now that would be a twist.

Tommy Yune: A man and a woman? A man and a woman?! Yak...Deculcha!!

Edited by Moly_Sigang

Perhaps they were basing the romantic aspects from personal experience. Hence robot love!

I think the only relationship that had an inkling of flavor to it in SC was Scott and Ariel. I think it could've been expanded on, and possibly supported the whole movie as far as side plot was concerned. You'd think with fresh perspectives they would've done so much more with regards to plot, subplot, and so on.

I wrote a fanfic of SR, where Ariel and Scott actually concieve a child. Now that would be a twist.

Marie Crystal and Sean Phillips actually was more realistic then most other of the love stories in RT.

@Seto...I jinxed myself with Starship Troopers 3 by saying, "It can't be worse the Dragon Wars..." :ph34r:

Assuming, of course, that the "capacity to love" part makes it through the adaptation process intact. Robotech fans seem to think Carl Macek's post-facto arse-covering is practically holy scripture, so they're likely to want to pursue his final position on the show, which was basically that "music and all that wasn't important to the story, Robotech is about humans shooting evil aliens".

Shame on me...my Macross purity has prevented me from seeing the value of pew pew pew, fire main gun!, kaboom, big boobs for all, Rabidtechnology entertainment.

Edited by Zor Primus

Marie Crystal and Sean Phillips actually was more realistic then most other of the love stories in RT.

Perhaps that's because that wasn't written by the person(people) who wrote RTSC, but an actual subplot floating in the original Southern Cross storyline.

Shame on me...my Macross purity has prevented me from seeing the value of pew pew pew, fire main gun!, kaboom, big boobs for all, Rabidtechnology entertainment.

I'm pretty sure that's actually a positive trait...

Perhaps that's because that wasn't written by the person(people) who wrote RTSC, but an actual subplot floating in the original Southern Cross storyline.

As a rule... if a particular aspect of the Robotech series is actually tolerable, then it's practically guaranteed to have been a holdover from the original three shows rather than the invention of Carl Macek and/or Tommy Yune.

Hasn't Futurama taught us anything?

DON'T DATE ROBOTS!!

Even Scott and Ariel in RTSC seemed a bit odd. The last episode, Symphony of Light ends with Scott flying off. In RTSC, he comes back due to circumstances, but it's like "Oh you're back, and we're now a perfect couple." There's no settling, no real relationship interaction. It's so forced, and even the love interest that was there in MOSPEADA is diminished to a contrived, "they're supposed to be like this just because" form.