Question of scale

Jefuemon

I was wondering if the scale on these two kits of mine was correct.

2693435990064247675S600x600Q85.jpg

Both are 1/72 scale. The Glaug is an old Imai kit, the Valk is Hasegawa. My thought is that the Gluag should be a little bigger. They make a nice companion piece, anyways.

Old Imai's Regult and Galug are very undersized. A Zentran soldier can't fit in that thing! Only Captain's models are in the right size. B))

I was wondering if the scale on these two kits of mine was correct.

2693435990064247675S600x600Q85.jpg

Both are 1/72 scale. The Glaug is an old Imai kit, the Valk is Hasegawa. My thought is that the Gluag should be a little bigger. They make a nice companion piece, anyways.

The Glaug in the pic is actually the ARII kit; IMAI never made the Glaug in 1/72. If you base yourself purely on numerical values, the ARII kit is more accurate, but as was mentioned above, from a functionality and realism standpoint, the plastic Zentradi kits are quite disappointing.

The Glaug in the pic is actually the ARII kit; IMAI never made the Glaug in 1/72. If you base yourself purely on numerical values, the ARII kit is more accurate, but as was mentioned above, from a functionality and realism standpoint, the plastic Zentradi kits are quite disappointing.

Kits (or toys) aside I think the root cause is that Kawamori never really bothered too much with a comprehensive size chart for the mecha designs, and animators did a lousy job back when SDFM was released. I am wondering what the Q-rea kit is going to look like if ever released, the samples shown a year ago made Klan Klan look so small, and still had no room for her legs. It's funny how a Valk-siezed giant emerges from a Valk-sided mecha.

The Glaug in the pic is actually the ARII kit; IMAI never made the Glaug in 1/72.

Opps, my mistake. Couldn't remember who made it (I built it about 8 years ago), and I misread the katakana in this auction. Easy thing to do.

Kits (or toys) aside I think the root cause is that Kawamori never really bothered too much with a comprehensive size chart for the mecha designs, and animators did a lousy job back when SDFM was released. I am wondering what the Q-rea kit is going to look like if ever released, the samples shown a year ago made Klan Klan look so small, and still had no room for her legs. It's funny how a Valk-siezed giant emerges from a Valk-sided mecha.

Actually, it was a marketing decision to "cheat" with regards to size. Gotta remember that the conceptual stage doesn't exist in a vacuum: ideas are swapped back and forth with sponsors and/or the merchandising arm. Contrary to popular belief, product ideas start off as price-points, and are somewhat "back-engineered" to meet a target price.

The Glaug is perhaps slightly too small, but it's very, very close to accurate.

SDF Macross Size Chart

They look great together. Remember, the VF-1 Battroid has to be large enough that the two mecha can tear the arm off each other through collision, like in the original episode of SDF Macross :)

Looking at the chart, the average Zentraedi looks like a child standing beside a battroid. Does that mean that Zentraedi are actually supposed to be much smaller size compared to Valks? Sheesh, Breetai must be the Goliath of the Zentraedi world, if that fight scene with Hikaru's -1J in the TV series is anything to go by.

• 2 weeks later...