All Things Video Games Thread: II

Just curious, what's that one game that everyone here usually come back to all the time? That same game that you spent so many hours on and continue to do so?

Team Fortress 2 here. You guys?

Mmmm...

Earth Defense Force 2017(XBox 360)

Lunar: Eternal Blue(SegaCD, yo!)

Parasite Eve 2(PS1)

Asteroids(pretty much any entry in the franchise. Near as I've ever seen to a perfect game)

Metal Storm(NES)

Those seem to be the ones I keep circling back to.

EDF especially. I tell ya, launching swarms of 30-foot ants into low Earth orbit with a shotgun is the best way I can think of to kill an afternoon.

I hope that in E3 we get to see a Pac-Man Reboot. Since Pac-Man is so iconic as a name, it should just be called: "Ghost Killa 6". Pac-Man was hailed the heroes of the Ghost Wars, but 30 years later he is now a washed up, broke, and divorced security contractor. But the Ghosts rebel and soon overwhelm the Pac-Land's defenses and his race is now on its way to extinction. Pac-Man slaps on his dentures and reprises his role as the savior of the world.

This adventure will play out in a virtual sandbox view where you have the freedom to complete any quests and pursue the main objective at your leisure - to track down the traitor known as "Yellow-13." Co-op is available, and you can play Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Q-Bert, and Smokey (a reformed ghost).

As a tie-in to the product, Pac-Man will be a PS3 exclusive character in the next soul-calibur.

I hope that in E3 we get to see a Pac-Man Reboot. Since Pac-Man is so iconic as a name, it should just be called: "Ghost Killa 6". Pac-Man was hailed the heroes of the Ghost Wars, but 30 years later he is now a washed up, broke, and divorced security contractor. But the Ghosts rebel and soon overwhelm the Pac-Land's defenses and his race is now on its way to extinction. Pac-Man slaps on his dentures and reprises his role as the savior of the world.

This adventure will play out in a virtual sandbox view where you have the freedom to complete any quests and pursue the main objective at your leisure - to track down the traitor known as "Yellow-13." Co-op is available, and you can play Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Q-Bert, and Smokey (a reformed ghost).

Best sequel ever.

As a tie-in to the product, Pac-Man will be a PS3 exclusive character in the next soul-calibur.

This isn't as out there as you think. Heihachi was HARDLY a lock on the Soul Calibur 2 PS2 exclusive char. While Pac-Man himself was not in the running(that I've heard), Dig-Dug WAS.

And while he was PROBABLY beefed up like in Namco X Capcom, I still like the image of classic DigDug rampaging about and beating people silly with a bike pump.

well I brokedown and bought it. It is friggin awsome. so much to do so many things to see. Bounties, quick draws, hearding, shooting anything that moves then skinning it, poker, liars dice, blackjack, knife game, there is so much, i cant even think of what to write about.

Ok, what is the point of that? The color pallete is jarring on the eyes in 3D, and nasseu inducing. Maybe I am not a big enough fan of Mario to care, but I think it looks terrible.

Ok, what is the point of that? The color pallete is jarring on the eyes in 3D, and nasseu inducing. Maybe I am not a big enough fan of Mario to care, but I think it looks terrible.

Yeah. Plus, it's taking away the wrong stuff from the original. In my opinion, Super Mario 64 always looked better than the old 8-bit and 16-bit Marios... the older Marios played better.

nostalgia would be my best guess

I also didn't know it was possible to

mod those games, but either

way I thought it was neat. Not something

I would want to play of course

just eye candy for old school

NES fans like myself.

He's also done the same

thing with 64 zelda game

using the textures from

the SNES game link from the past

Yeah. Plus, it's taking away the wrong stuff from the original. In my opinion, Super Mario 64 always looked better than the old 8-bit and 16-bit Marios... the older Marios played better.

the graphics looked good for that time period just as the 8 bit and 16 bit did back in the day, but if you compare the graphics to today's CG you'd notice a hell of a difference. I find it amazing how far video games have progressed and changed over the years. The graphics just keep getting better and better.

Edited by HappyPenguins

I love the complete randomness of the game. At night while entering Armadillo I heard a girl screaming so I tried to go to the rescue only to turn the corner and seeing some dude stab a whore to death. My jaw dropped lol. it's an awesome game and I am not even that big of a fan of sandbox style games.

So, red dead redemption... do you have to play Red Dead Revolver to get the game, or does it stand on it's own. I really have no interest in going back and playing revolver. I would like to pick up redemption.

by the way, anyone play lost planet 2 yet? not sure if I wanna pick it up or not (I only played 1 level of the first game so...).

summer's starting, time to get back to playing video games B))

It is its own game. Rockstar bought the property long ago and basically this is just the spiritual successor to Revolver. So far the entire story of the game is self contained. It is worth picking up.

Rockstar bought the property long ago...

If by "Rockstar bought the property" you mean "Rockstar San Diego developed the property and Rockstar Games published said property" then yeah, they "bought" it.

If by "Rockstar bought the property" you mean "Rockstar San Diego developed the property and Rockstar Games published said property" then yeah, they "bought" it.

Sorry my info was wrong, I got it crossed with the fact the original was supposed to be done by capcom and was dropped, and that's when Rockstar bought it. But anyway the game is worth it.

There is a reason why Namco used the name "Pac-Man" here in the U.S.: it's because it was originally named "Puck-Man". The company was worried people would vandalize the machines by changing the "P" to an "F".

There is also a reason why Capcom Changed gave the franchise the name "Resident Evil" insead of Biohazard: they were afraid of a lawsuit. But I have a suspicion that if Evan Sienfeld saw the content of the game, he would't have bothered; Hell, he might've even offered to do the music for the game.

There is a reason why Namco used the name "Pac-Man" here in the U.S.: it's because it was originally named "Puck-Man". The company was worried people would vandalize the machines by changing the "P" to an "F".

There is also a reason why Capcom Changed gave the franchise the name "Resident Evil" insead of Biohazard: they were afraid of a lawsuit. But I have a suspicion that if Evan Sienfeld saw the content of the game, he would't have bothered; Hell, he might've even offered to do the music for the game.

Well that was random. If I wasn't so apathetic right now I'd actually bother to wiki some of this and figure out what the hell your talking about... :unsure:

Well that was random. If I wasn't so apathetic right now I'd actually bother to wiki some of this and figure out what the hell your talking about... unsure.gif

It's far easier to just assume he's wrong, and let him be :)

It's far easier to just assume he's wrong, and let him be :)

He's mostly right this time (although still very random). The Japanese title for Pac-Man (pakkuman) is derived from "paku", a Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound of a mouth opening and closing rapidly. Pakkuman was initially romanized as Puck Man, and I'm pretty sure there were some Puck Man cabinets out there. When bringing it Stateside, Midway wanted it changed because they (probably rightly) figured that vandals would chance the P to an F.

As for Resident Evil, Capcom wasn't worried about a lawsuit if they released it in the US or Europe with the original Biohazard title (and certainly not by the band Wanzerfan's talking about, as the band would have to demonstrate that the likelihood of confusion between the game and the band was probable). Capcom wanted a title they could trademark, and Director of Communications Chris Evans pointed out that they would be unlikely to be able to trademark "Biohazard." They had an internal contest to pick a new name, and Resident Evil was the winner.

He's mostly right this time (although still very random). The Japanese title for Pac-Man (pakkuman) is derived from "paku", a Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound of a mouth opening and closing rapidly. Pakkuman was initially romanized as Puck Man, and I'm pretty sure there were some Puck Man cabinets out there. When bringing it Stateside, Midway wanted it changed because they (probably rightly) figured that vandals would chance the P to an F.

As for Resident Evil, Capcom wasn't worried about a lawsuit if they released it in the US or Europe with the original Biohazard title (and certainly not by the band Wanzerfan's talking about, as the band would have to demonstrate that the likelihood of confusion between the game and the band was probable). Capcom wanted a title they could trademark, and Director of Communications Chris Evans pointed out that they would be unlikely to be able to trademark "Biohazard." They had an internal contest to pick a new name, and Resident Evil was the winner.

Blame Game Informer about the information about Biohazard, the article (It was about changes made to games when they're shipped to other countries) said that the name was already trademarked by a band in the U.S. (the only band I know of with the name Biohazard has Evan Sienfeld as a member), and I inferred that Capcom didn't want a trademark infringement suit from them.

Besides, I was running on fumes when I posted that last night, and didn't bother to quote the Pac-Man post.

I definitely prefer the way "Resident Evil" is delivered/spoken on the title menu (especially for 2) over Biohazard. Otherwise it's not really a big deal.

What's annoying is the English voice over for RE1(?) or was it just the Wesker files? Wesker calls the STARS Special Tactics and Rescue Squad. STARS actually stands for Special Tactics and Rescue Service. Of course this has lead to a few elitist arguements over the years..

I was so disappointed in Suikoden 1, for I felt I had a brilliant idea when it asked me what to name my castle---I put in "Vania"----annoyingly, it didn't work out like I thought, and the game listed it as "Vania Castle".