All Things Video Games Thread: II

Looks like Bungie and Activision have developed a "partnership." Seems to me they made the announcement now to distract everyone from Fall of Duty. If their next game is a hit, I hope Bungie has some good lawyers... :p

I'm sure they still know people at Microsoft. ^_^

meh... IMO, Im starting not to care for FPS these days.. all they keep releasing is FPS, FPS, FPS... They need to make something different for a change, something like Heavy Rain, or Okami.. Im looking forward to PS3 game Guardian of the Colossus? forget the name.. its the sequel to that PS2 game from Shadow of the Colossus.

On Chapter 14 and I'm loving this game. Got it on release day and have been slowly working my way through. It's a different game, both in terms of game mechanics and overall feel. What I saw of my friends playing FFXIII, the game just took itself a bit too melodramatically seriously. Resonance of Fate really enjoys poking fun at itself from inane combat dialogue to:

A "Christmas Present" mission where you throw presents at little kids like grenades... while dressed up like Reindeer

:D

However the game itself will be very boring and underwhelming for those accustomed to getting new and flashy moves/summons/weapons every other level, since there are only three or four guns of each type throughout the game, and the only thing "flashy" from battle to battle would the be clothes your characters wear. Yes, you can change their clothes. Yes, these changes are reflected in the cutscenes.

On Chapter 14 and I'm loving this game. Got it on release day and have been slowly working my way through. It's a different game, both in terms of game mechanics and overall feel. What I saw of my friends playing FFXIII, the game just took itself a bit too melodramatically seriously. Resonance of Fate really enjoys poking fun at itself from inane combat dialogue to:

A "Christmas Present" mission where you throw presents at little kids like grenades... while dressed up like Reindeer

However the game itself will be very boring and underwhelming for those accustomed to getting new and flashy moves/summons/weapons every other level, since there are only three or four guns of each type throughout the game, and the only thing "flashy" from battle to battle would the be clothes your characters wear. Yes, you can change their clothes. Yes, these changes are reflected in the cutscenes.

I havent played that much into the game yet since Im still playing FFXIII, but theres this part that everyone in your party becomes a teddy bear and your weapons are christmas gifts?? LOL

LOL -

Edited by Gunpod71

Well good because after playing FF13 I am used to not getting anything new or flashy after battles lol.

meh... IMO, Im starting not to care for FPS these days.. all they keep releasing is FPS, FPS, FPS... They need to make something different for a change, something like Heavy Rain, or Okami.. Im looking forward to PS3 game Guardian of the Colossus? forget the name.. its the sequel to that PS2 game from Shadow of the Colossus.

The Last Guardian.

The next Call of Duty has been revealed and its the history of secret operations. seems to be some kinda information they are trying to get out of a soldier and possible flashbacks. The game spans cold war operations, Vietnam, South America, Cuba. Looks pretty badass and i love the look of the new Character.

http://kotaku.com/5528598/your-first-look-...-duty-black-ops

The next Call of Duty has been revealed and its the history of secret operations. seems to be some kinda information they are trying to get out of a soldier and possible flashbacks. The game spans cold war operations, Vietnam, South America, Cuba. Looks pretty badass and i love the look of the new Character.

Don't... know... if... want... :mellow:

Looks pretty cool..............and it is a (FINALLY!!) deviation from the famed world war 2 and modern warfare timeline. (modern warfare was getting annoying anyway)

Also like the fact that it might be covering one of the least covered wars in video games - Vietnam.

Black Operations have always interested me, from experimental supplements in 'nam to super solider programs,mind control,experimental aircraft like the fabled 'Aurora project'. love it. It will be interesting how this Call of Duty portrays it.

Is just me or when I saw the new protagonist I instantly thought that he looked like Solid Snake. :ph34r:

In any case, love the Apocalypse Now feel with all the Hueys flying all over the place. ^_^ Although why is there an SR-71 sequence? :huh:

Finally! I had predicted for a while that the only place left to go for the COD franchise was Vietnam. Looks like they are going to do it in an interesting way though.

SR-71 was a key plane during the cold war, and operational for most of the Vietnam war. But remember, this isn`t JUST Vietnam.

Will not be buying. Considering what has happened with Activision and Infinity Ward, I won't support any more of these games.

So it has nothing to do with Treyarch's last COD games being mediocre at best? :p I'm still skeptical on whether or not it'll be worth playing. What actually did work in the last game was what was lifted straight from IW. The singleplayer portion was kind of dull and the multiplayer had balancing issues (I still hate those dogs). Overall, it was an improvement over COD 3, but still paled in comparison to IW's games. I have my doubts about the gameplay--controversies aside.

I will say that Activision seems to be desperate; there have been some big announcements lately... B))

So it has nothing to do with Treyarch's last COD games being mediocre at best? :p I'm still skeptical on whether or not it'll be worth playing. What actually did work in the last game was what was lifted straight from IW. The singleplayer portion was kind of dull and the multiplayer had balancing issues (I still hate those dogs). Overall, it was an improvement over COD 3, but still paled in comparison to IW's games. I have my doubts about the gameplay--controversies aside.

I will say that Activision seems to be desperate; there have been some big announcements lately... B))

We can still hope for a VietCong Zombies level though...

:blink:

That's stupid.

Why? Can you think of a better way to insert an operative anywhere on earth undetected? At 85,000 feet an SR-71 would be nigh undetectable and free falling most of the way would give you a good chance of not being noticed.

If it goes to Vietnam I'll be skipping it.

Why? Vietnam would be awesome.

Why? Can you think of a better way to insert an operative anywhere on earth undetected? At 85,000 feet an SR-71 would be nigh undetectable and free falling most of the way would give you a good chance of not being noticed.

Besides the fact that MGS 3 did the whole halo jump insertion already.

Jumping from a sr-71 is impracticable. If its flying at 85000 ft and at Mach 3 and you somehow survive with a clean landing. I highly doubt you'd be perfectly fine and ready for a combat mission.

Why? Vietnam would be awesome.

Had family in that war. they're now getting back to normal from what I understand.

Considering they tried making Vietnam shooters and they all bombed (is this a pun?), I doubt this will take place in that war. It's a tad too controversial and uncomfortable for many, not to mention the plethora of bad games that came out left a sour taste in many gamers' mouths, so I don't think they'll go that route. Also, if you watch closely in the trailer, the Steyr AUG makes an appearance; this didn't come out until the late 70's. My guess is you probably go to Vietnam on some secret, Rambo II-esque mission. Or it could be a flashback. Or I'm completely wrong and they just made a mistake. :p

And as for the SR-71 stuff, there is now way in hell you'd use one just for inserting a lone operative. Aside from the fact that ejecting is a very dangerous thing (your probably going to get injured, but it beats going down with the plane), that plane is FAR too expensive to just throw away. And if it crashes in hostile territory, you better hope the enemy doesn't find the wreckage site; not only will they know something is up when a Blackbird crashes in their backyard, but they'll also try to salvage what they can from it. It wouldn't make a lot of sense. If you still don't believe me, try proposing this idea in the Aircraft Super Thread. Besides, as Beyond the Grave mention, it's already been done in Metal Gear Solid--though in a more practical manner. :rolleyes:

I can't believe you (and some of the gaming sites) think the Blackbird stuff is something more than just a cutscene. Hell, I'd wager a majority of that video was cutscene footage.