All Things Video Games Thread: II

Lord, am I having fun with this game. Blowing sh*t up, causing all kinds of mayhem, using the revolver to blow the heads off of shithead government facist troops. And this is all just while I'm just about 6% into the game. Getting the Achievements are a blast (I especilly loved using the grapple to drag the poor sons of bitches (army pricks) behind my vehicle; I also got the "Top of the World" Achievement).

I'm still not far enough into the game to give a full review, but I'll say one thing, this game will really suck up your time.

Thoughts?

for some real fun try attatching enemies to burning propane gas tanks with the grapple hook and watch them fly away and blow up midair. thats what I love about the hook, you can attach anything to anything so get creative!

Edited by Lott Sheen

Lord, am I having fun with this game. Blowing sh*t up, causing all kinds of mayhem, using the revolver to blow the heads off of shithead government facist troops. And this is all just while I'm just about 6% into the game. Getting the Achievements are a blast (I especilly loved using the grapple to drag the poor sons of bitches (army pricks) behind my vehicle; I also got the "Top of the World" Achievement).

I'm still not far enough into the game to give a full review, but I'll say one thing, this game will really suck up your time.

Thoughts?

I don't remember any of this being in Ms. Pac-Man. Is it a remake?

I don't remember any of this being in Ms. Pac-Man. Is it a remake?

Nah, it's just some moderator being cute by renaming this thread. It was originally a Just Cause II thread.

Once you master slingshotting (travelling by parachute using the grappling hook to pull you along) the game really gets fun. This is also a game where controlling the fighter is way harder than the helicopter. I guess I have to practice with the jet.

I also ran into a minor glitch playing this game: during the mission where you have to destroy satelittes while they're still on their launch pads, I destroyed two of the satellites when the warning that the fourth satellite had been discovered, and I haven't destroyed the third one yet. Then again, the third one was most likely destroyed by their own troops who were gunning for my ass, since I did take potshots at the other two satelittes with a stolen mounted minigun (the devlopers took a page from Halo 3 with that one, but they gave you the bonus of unlimited ammo with the thing) after desroying the first one.

Edited by Wanzerfan

just cause 2 is ok. the cut scenes are grainy and laggy and kinda wished if you use the hook as a trip wire. shooting the hook on one side of the road and the other the people/cars just go through it with no interaction.

Since this has been made the new videogames thread I'm going to plug Infinite Space again. For some reason this game seems to be slipping under the radar despite possibly being the best game to hit the DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsJxsspHkm8

Definite shades of Captain Herlock and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Huge epic story (I hit the "opening credits" at about hour 28). Ship customizing is brilliant, and the battle system is fantastic. Well, the space battle system. The melee battles I could take or leave. I was surprised to see no one else on the forum talking about it.

Controlling the jets just plain sucks in Just Cause 2 (I haven't really controlled the prop-driven planes, so I'm not sure on that front). Sure you can control the pitch and roll with the left analog stick, but when it comes to trying to use the right analog stick to control the yaw, you're sh*t out of luck (the damned thing only controls the freaking camera and aim). At least you can control the yaw with the helicopters with the right stick.

That's my biggest gripe about the game so far.

Did anyone else get the Dragon Age Origins: Awakening expansion? I know I'm a bit behind on it, since a ton of other games came out around the same time, but I've finally sat down to start seriously playing it.

One question that I've had since I started playing it, though... and I'll use spoiler tags for anyone who hasn't finished the first one or started this one.

So you become the arl of Rendon Howe's lands and use his estate as a command post for the Grey Wardens. That's all well and good, but if the Howe's killed your family in the human noble origin to take the Cousland's lands, what became of your old family estate? Is that never answered?

Did anyone else get the Dragon Age Origins: Awakening expansion? I know I'm a bit behind on it, since a ton of other games came out around the same time, but I've finally sat down to start seriously playing it.

One question that I've had since I started playing it, though... and I'll use spoiler tags for anyone who hasn't finished the first one or started this one.

So you become the arl of Rendon Howe's lands and use his estate as a command post for the Grey Wardens. That's all well and good, but if the Howe's killed your family in the human noble origin to take the Cousland's lands, what became of your old family estate? Is that never answered?

I heard that expansion pack was overrated. Game Informer gave the thing a 7.75 out of 10, a just above average score by their standards, 7 being the number.

I heard that expansion pack was overrated. Game Informer gave the thing a 7.75 out of 10, a just above average score by their standards, 7 being the number.

So it gets a bad score, and that's overrating it? If anything, I'd say it's underrated.

Honestly, I'm not sure what they're griping about. Did you like the first one? Seems you'd like the second one then. It's just new characters, more specializations, a higher level cap, and more dungeons to crawl.

Managed to get a new PSP 2000 with a hackable motherboard yesterday. It's great being able to play my PS1 games on the go. Any sugestions as to what PSP games I should get (aside from God of War)?

I still want Re-Armed re-made for the DS. Or if the rumours about the 3DS having substantially better graphics than the DS are true I'd be patient enough to wait for that. I still bust out the GBA SP to play my GBA port of the original Bionic Commando now and then.

IIRC they were given to be ruled by your brother at the epilogue of the main campaign.

Awakening is a pretty fun ride, they made the gameplay more fun with the new skills and better mission design.

The only let downs were the horrid runecrafting interface and pretty dismal end boss fight(the mid campaign Zap-dragon fight was pretty fun though).

Managed to get a new PSP 2000 with a hackable motherboard yesterday. It's great being able to play my PS1 games on the go. Any sugestions as to what PSP games I should get (aside from God of War)?

Loco Roco 2

MGS Portable Ops

Ace Combat X

Super Stardust Portable (PSN)

Little Big Planet

Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions

Killzone Liberation

Lumines 1 or 2

Crisis Core FFVII

Patapon 2

Resistance Retribution

Dissidia: Final Fantasy

Gran Turismo

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles

Wipeout Pulse

The Ratchet/Clank titles

and of course, God of War

All the downloadable PS One titles you fancy from PSN...while still slim in choices, there are some gems on there.

You know, Crisis Core wasn't that fun... :(

There's also:

Katamari Damacy

Macross Ace/Ultimate Frontier

&

Project Diva (If you're into Vocaloid and rhythm games)

I haven't tried Monster Hunter, but I guess you should try that. I hear alot of people like it.

Loco Roco 2

MGS Portable Ops

Ace Combat X

Super Stardust Portable (PSN)

Little Big Planet

Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions

Killzone Liberation

Lumines 1 or 2

Crisis Core FFVII

Patapon 2

Resistance Retribution

Dissidia: Final Fantasy

Gran Turismo

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles

Wipeout Pulse

The Ratchet/Clank titles

and of course, God of War

All the downloadable PS One titles you fancy from PSN...while still slim in choices, there are some gems on there.

Well, the custom firmware will take care of that. I've got Final Fantasy 7, Xenogears, Megaman X5, Chrono Cross, Ridge Racer 4, Star Ocean 2, and Gundam Battle Assault 2 on my PSP, courtesy of my disks. It's simple, and the only downside is that they take up so much space on the memory stick...

If Sony released ALL of their titles from the Playstation era for, say, $2 a title, I wouldn't have gone the hacking route for my PSP.

I've got... Megaman X5... Gundam Battle Assault 2 on my PSP

If you're a Mega Man fan, I'd highly recommend Mega Man: Powered Up and Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X. And if you're a Gundam fan, Gundam Battle Universe can imported fairly cheaply (and after putting a ton of time in with both, I do still think it's better than the newer Gundam Assault Survive).

Ok, here is a question. I finally got to play Halo-2, yeah I am behind. I know that MS is pretty much writing off a PC version of Halo-3, the bastards, but does anyone know of any effort or group out there making a mod to play Halo-3 on the PC, maybe as an add on to Halo-2 or Halo-CE?

So I finally get to play Fallout 3 (got the GOTY edition). At times it does feels like Oblivion with guns hehe (not surprising), but it's turning out to be pretty good. I've been holding off on doing the main quest, and just doing a lot of side-quests and random exploration.

IIRC they were given to be ruled by your brother at the epilogue of the main campaign.

Awakening is a pretty fun ride, they made the gameplay more fun with the new skills and better mission design.

The only let downs were the horrid runecrafting interface and pretty dismal end boss fight(the mid campaign Zap-dragon fight was pretty fun though).

Finished today.. man, that was short. Took me around 10 hours to complete.

Felt like it was rushed and wasn't completed. Had gifts and what not, but they were pretty pointless as the party dialogs just wasn't very deep compared to Origins. There was some interesting stuff hinted at when anders and justice talk to each other that I would have liked to have seen explored.

Also, I didn't feel the combat really took into account the new level cap. My mage was blowing through most mobs with ease. And the dragon battle and the end boss were swift and easy compared to the similar fights in the first game.

Overall, I have to say in terms of hours and new challenges, it's not really worth the money. For hardcore fans only.