Games that suck, but you like

In this thread, with the following conditions met:

a) games that were truly subpar

b) you still finished the game despite its crapiness.

c) you played through more than 1x anyways.

My list:

-Ace Combat 6: same ol' crap... just on current gen system, was expecting more.

-Force Unleashed: bugs bugs bugs bugs and more bugs.

-Project Sylpheed: because there just isn't another decent space-fighter game around

-HAWX: because Namco hates PS3, so I have to play this crap instead.

-STALKER Shadow of Chernoby: I dunno... something just felt wrong about this game.

I smelled this thread coming sooner or later :lol:

Bloody Roar 1 and 2

Forgot the series even existed until I found one of the characters in a google image search three days ago. Fun game with a nice combo system using the two forms each character had.

Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors - same stuff but i still enjoy playing them

Force Unleashed - buggy,but fun

HAWX - yeah its a subpar flighty,and hell unrealistic but it was good fun,especially multi

Kengo Zero - fail,could have been SO much better,waste,but i still finished it.

Golden Axe: Beast Rider - wtf happened here?? shame....but i still finished it.

there mores more but im blank

Best one I know of: Aerofighters Assault for the N64. Yes, it was a 3D adaptation of those old top-scrolling shooters with crazy weapons and flying turret-platform bosses, the plot was entirely nonsensical, and you could use an F-15 with a crazy superlaser weapon to shoot down a flying saucer flying over the moon. But none of that mattered, because the flight mechanics were great, and the head-to-head dogfighting mode was awesome.

HAWX on the other hand I never could stomach enough to play more than the demo. My brother gave me the PC version to try after he got sick of it, but I got so frustrated trying to configure the controls (until I found out YOU CAN'T), I gave up and went back to AC6. It was all I could do not to snap the disc in half, frankly. I wanted so bad for it to be decent, but after I found out you need a gamepad to play it decently, I lost all interest.

Edited by Chronocidal

Power Stone 2 is the best 4 Player Fighting game in the world EVER! (When drunk &/or high)

nevermind that there's only like 1 combo for every character basically... it was all about the items/levels!

but yeah... could have been a lot more...

Edited by Max Jenius

Gundam Crossfire - Horrible Graphics for a PS3 title, robots that moved like they were drunk, and a lackluster story

I still loved it though and played through a good many times. I think it got like a 4 or 5 out of 10 rating on most gaming websites.

The Dynasty/Samurai Warriors games. I mean, how many time can you rehash a format over and over again? Over a dozen times, apparently. Still, it's my way of de-stressing, and I can't recall how many virtual Yellow Turban, Wei and Wu lives I've snuffed out using Guan Yu. Roar, Blue Dragon!

SW - The Force Unleashed. I got the PS2 version, which is probably even buggier and WAY shorter than the PS3 release, but few fun things come in the form of electrocuting stormtroopers with your finger tips, and hacking at random alien riffraff with a light saber in a cantina.

Splinter Cell games. The first time through is already somewhat of a chore, especially the first game's sneaking mission at the FBI headquarters. Logically, there shouldn't be any point in replaying such plot-driven games, but there's something about being a middle-aged SIGINT ninja that just brings me back over and over again.

Ace Combat 4 to 6. Six games have gone by and we're still playing at Luke Skywalker's X-Wing heroics in the final stage (or was it Han Solo?), infiltrating huge-ass buildings to shoot at some weak spot, before hightailing it out of there through a veritable aerial obstacle course.

FFX. Tidus annoyed me to no end, but I came back for the blitzball.

Death by Degrees. Don't ask me why, but controlling an ass-kicking blonde chick through cliched enemy environments and fighting enemies using those annoying left/right analog sticks worked for me. The graphics weren't half bad either, for a PS2-era title.

End War. It feels so... sterile. Not gritty like a real war should be..its also clunky (thats what you get for trying to play an RTS on PS3) and where are the civilians I can collatoral damage? but fighting Ruskies in the streets outside the Capitol building? Gold.

Has anyone played Operation Flashpoint? any good?

Edited by Lott Sheen

I hated Condemned:Criminal Origins so much that I stopped playing it.

Homeworld 2 was kinda alright but I couldn't be bothered finishing it.....

Manhunt was a game that was despicable in just about every sense of the word but I LOVED playing it.

Taksraven

Tenchu Z: PS2 graphics and shitty presentation on the Xbox 360. But I like stealthily disposing of enemies with really stupid AI. It's a guilty pleasure.

This. I love tenchu,I got them all, but when i played this one,i was so annoyed it was shithouse. story was pretty weak aswell with no name no where characters,wasted buttons aswell. very poor.

Games that suck, but I still like?

Halo.

Just kidding. I don't actually like Halo (although I did finish all three of the main series games).

In a more serious fashion, as has been said a number of times, I do enjoy the Dynasty Warriors games (I think the only one I finished 100% of was the first Dynasty Warriors Gundam game). I also enjoyed the Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen adaptation, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, Prototype, and Dante's Inferno, despite the mixed reviews. On the whole, I think I'm more likely to dislike a well-reviewed game than to like a poorly reviewed game. I mean, in addition to Halo, I've yet to like a 3D Zelda game, never cared for a Prince of Persia game, couldn't quite get into Metal Gear Solid, liked the second Splinter Cell but never completed any of them, and thought Gears of War was just mediocre enough to not buy the sequel.

Ace Combat 4

Another thing that I disagree with. AC04 was fine, as it's not meant to be a sim, but an F-4 can still give your Su-37 trouble if it gets on your tail for the couple of seconds until you out-turn it; in any of the later games, you'll be on THEIR tail in about a second.

The Dynasty/Samurai Warriors games. I mean, how many time can you rehash a format over and over again? Over a dozen times, apparently. Still, it's my way of de-stressing, and I can't recall how many virtual Yellow Turban, Wei and Wu lives I've snuffed out using Guan Yu. Roar, Blue Dragon!

I agree. I only needed one game from the series to get the general idea and took it for what it was. It's also kinda educational, or at least it made me want to check out what really happened in Chinese history.

Cobra Mission and Knights of Xentar.

Heck, I was young. And a virgin. :lol:

+1

I also have the game plus the adult patch. :ph34r:

PowerDolls was another, it's underated. It's a pretty solid turned based game, even though it was 9 missions short. If you don't load out your mechs correctly, you risk losing the missions.

Guardian Legend was underrated, it was deserving for a sequel, another game is Xardion for the SNES.

Way too many honestly, but here's a few I can think of at the top of my head.

This generation:

Wet

Clive Barker's Jericho

Ridge Racer 7

King of Fighters XII

Last generation:

Neo Contra

The Xenosaga series

24: The Game ( I love the interrogation parts...you can make Jack calmly talk to people and then make him scream at them. It's hilarious!)

Black

Ghost in the Shell :SAC

Older than last gen:

World Championship Wrestling NES = I hate wrestling. I hated the NES. I LOVED this game. My brother and I played it for hours and hours. I don't know why, the graphics were bad, the moves pitiful, yet we loved it. I don't know why, because I'm told it was a "crappy" wrestling game compared what as I dunno what other wrestling games there were at the time.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles NES: Not the arcade game, the side scrolling one where you controlled one turtle at a time side scrolling platformer. I think I liked it because it was one of the few games my brother bought.

Atari 2600 Pac-Man. Let's face it. It was a crappy port. But my family played it for hours and hours. Dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun.

GI Joe Cobra Strike Atari 2600. It was GI Joe. I was young. You didn't get to play as any of the Joes, just a shield and a cannon shooting at a giant Cobra head. You couldn't even use the joysticks, you used the paddle and then "flung" your shots towards the Cobra. Hard to describe, but it sucked and we loved it.

E.T. Atari 2600: I got it for Christmas or my Birthday, or Easter or something, I don't recall. I liked it. But I was again, young. At least my parents saved one cartridge from a landfill. I remember my cousin got the Indiana Jones game and I didn't like it, I preferred the E.T. one. Hey, I was young.

Edited by Gaijin

Well, according to all the American game review sites, Infinite Space is a poor-mediocre game. Then again, I'm thinking this is a case where the gaming media is just hitting a new low in poor journalism. Especially considering every single review I've read has been riddled with factual errors about the game, which made up the vast majority of the reviewers' complaints. (Do they even play the games anymore? Or did Sega just not pay them enough to get a good score?)

Actually, given that it's not actually a bad game in the slightest (there's just absolutely zero journalistic integrity left in the gaming media) I'd give that my top slot for an Underrated Videogames thread.

Hmm, for this thread...Final Fantasy IX comes to mind. It was not a bad game, it was great in a lot of ways, but it's pretty clear that Square shoved it out the door before it was finished. Most of the character plotlines are abandoned halfway through the game and the end of the game is a confused jumble, with an entirely non-sequitur finaly boss and plenty of loose ends.

The Fallout 3 expansions. I love every single one, despite the flaws. Fallout 3 was great, so it takes very little to pull me back in to play more. Lookout Point was the only expansion I'd consider "good" tho. The others basically shoehorned Fallout 3 into being a first person shooter. And let's face it, it's a great game as an action RPG, but as a straight up shooter it's fairly mediocre.

Dynasty Warriors, Dynasty Warriors: Gundam and Samurai Warriors are the first games that popped into my mind when I saw this thread.

Oh, and Bloody Roar! loved that game... I had the arcade cabinet for that game in my college apt for years...

Did you know that the original Dynasty Warriors was Koei's attempt to get into the one-on-one fighting genre?

I also liked the original Bloody Roar as well on the PS-X.

Gungrave & Gungrave OD

-Pretty much a simple-minded linear 3rd person shoot-em-up. And that's why i love 'em. Sometimes i just want to blow stuff away and not think. :lol:

Fallout 3

-It was great and all, but after I finished it and checked the trophies - I realized i had only completed 6% ! I don't plan on playing through that again. :wacko:

The Saboteur (and any other free-roaming game)

-I had fun with it but after the "story", all those extra targets just became tedious.

Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 1/2

-Great hack 'n slash game, but when it takes you 1-2 hours just to complete a (short) mission... the button mashing wore out my thumbs. :lol:

Gundam: Target in Sight

-Too short.

Byonetta

-Between the button mashing, impossible "requirements" & the supposed fanservice, I still don't know if i like or hate it.

Edited by UN_MARINE