Voltron revival?

To be honest Voltron was a silly cartoon anyways. A giant robot made of science and or magic, ghosts, witches, blue mice, & the same stock footage used over & over again. Yeah it was a fun show with robots kicking major *** but became a one trick pony real quick. Vehicle Voltron was a little better with slightly better science fiction. I saw Voltron Force and yes it's got lousy animation but it's less terrible than I thought it would be. I wasn't expecting much so I wasn't disappointed and pleasantly surprised.

Looks like Wade's robot lions will be the cannon fodder mecha of the show.

post-9033-0-49729800-1309400466_thumb.jpgpost-9033-0-39395400-1309400500_thumb.jpg

Extra Large Galaxy Alliance robot lion.

post-9033-0-61780200-1309400582_thumb.jpgpost-9033-0-70360600-1309400629_thumb.jpgpost-9033-0-96496800-1309400664_thumb.jpg

Regular sized robot lions.

The former being a finished product the rest being prototypes.

Makes me wonder if it is a set up for the three cadets to have their own lions.

So wait a minute, mass produced black lions?

Wade, military leader that taken over the Galaxy Alliance, had Black Lion confiscated for 7 years. During those years he had his secret R&D reverse engineering it. This resulted in several prototypes and the finished product giant lion.

I'd expect more as Wade does not have access to Voltron or Robeasts. The Galaxy Alliance's own army of autonomous robot lions. Wade happens to be its Papaltine.

Edited by RedWolf

:::sigh::: Why don't American's understand "Gattai." You can't just make transforming lions that link together any way you want. For one thing, how the hell would the foot lions swap out, it does "not" make sense.

Edited by Keith

I hope the hatchet job wasn't as bad for Voltron as it was when they turned Gatchaman into Battle of the Planets. Now that was a series they took a machete to.

Yes.......and no. Hoyt Curtins music was a brilliant addition to the show, better than the techno they added over the top of G-Force, and some of the voice acting was quite good too. Keye Luke made a much better Berg Katse. (Zoltar).

AND a fair amount of death was left intact. (Especially the episode where the guy in the wheelchair picks up the bomb and uses it to blow a hole in the wall, killing himself in the process. I was *astounded* that they left that one in.)

Edited by taksraven

The original fans over on the official voltron forums are hopping mad at the way the new show is turning out. And now that they keep mary sue'ing the plots with Vince having "ancient arusian powers" is really getting out of hand. I know Jeremy Corray from WEP is the person whom is listed as "story idea", but he should know better. I still highly recommend watching GoLion and Dairugger XV. Especially since Go LIon *WAS* the original Voltron.

The original fans over on the official voltron forums are hopping mad at the way the new show is turning out. And now that they keep mary sue'ing the plots with Vince having "ancient arusian powers" is really getting out of hand. I know Jeremy Corray from WEP is the person whom is listed as "story idea", but he should know better. I still highly recommend watching GoLion and Dairugger XV. Especially since Go LIon *WAS* the original Voltron.

Yup, still cheesey, but full of enough super robot-isms (real attack names), and a surprising amount of carnage, that they're vastly sueprior to "voltron."

• 2 weeks later...

I guess these are pics of the new Voltron Classics that Mattel is coming out with. It's no Gokin for sure even though they said it was going to contain die cast... suppose to be 23" tall when combined...

Wow, it's going to be a lot more expensive than I thought! But it makes sense... the Lions themselves are going to be a lot more complicated as toys and all the figures should be unique sculpts as only Lance and Keith could really share parts.

It's going to be one hell of an expensive year for me on Matty.

Whoa, I found pics!

img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6122/5956406077_b0686f7b8f.jpg[/img]

5956406119_5839018e06.jpg

5956965840_aa7b54203a.jpg

5956406195_6dfa9f0a86.jpg

5956965792_f2e0fa96e7.jpg

I think they look really great. Lance looks really cool. Glad they have interchangeable heads. Not sure about the Lion legs though... are those white legs?

Here's the info for Lance. It's cool the key unlocks features and is a display stand!

Reckless. Ladies' man. Hot head. And don't forget ace pilot! Lance Charles McClain comes in fan-demanded 3 3/4" scale and fits into the cockpit of the Red Lion (sold separately.)

Each pilot figure comes with alternate helmet head, and a key that unlocks the cockpit of their corresponding Lion and activates the one-touch transformation features. Key can also be used as a display base.

There's strength in numbers! Each pilot comes with one piece of the Voltron Collect and Connectâ„¢ ultra blazing sword. Collect all five figures to complete the sword!

Lance Sword piece #1

Hunk Sword piece #2

Pidge Sword piece #3

Allura Sword piece #4

Keith Sword piece #5

This figure is one of a series of 5 figures that includes Hunk, Pidge, Allura and Keith.

Someday, someone will make a combining voltron toy where the waist of green and red lion are NOT garishly obviously giant hinges. And where red lion isn't 3 cubes stuck together. (no, red lion is not my fave lion, at all---but it does seem to look the least accurate most often and is IMHO a good one to judge the group as a whole on)

I like it a lot. I can understand why 99.9 percent of everyone hates it, but I dig it.

It really should be a toy sold in stores though as it definitely looks like it would appeal more to children who aren't as jaded and demanding as adult collectors (no, that's not an insult hidden in there, I'm jaded and demanding as well). As it is, I think Mattel is misunderstanding the majority of adults they plan to sell this to.

I'll buy it, me and like four other people. >_<

Great review.

That's a Voltron I woulda love to have as a kid. But for now I'm happy with my die-cast Toynami. I'm waiting to see more of the bigger Voltron once it's out of prototype phase. I'm more interested in the 3 3/4 scale figs that come with it.