The PS3 thread

Gaijin

Bought a PS3 the other day mostly for the Torne digital TV recorder thing.

For some reason, the console has already crashed (frozen actually) twice in less than 5 days.

Yup. Just as I started thinking about buying a new system to backup or replace my 60G brick I read online from many forums about how newer units were having trouble as well. I figured well, if I'm going to spend time and money fixing PS3's might as well just do that with my original unit...

A lot of my tests are over, so I put in some hours this weekend on my games. BF3 Multiplayer continues to be pure joy, but unfortunately, most of my friends have moved on to newer games, so there is no one really for me to play with. On MW3, I surprisingly LOVED the campaign, and there is TONS of story for those of you who liked the previous campaign modes (The story ends REALLY well, and there are tons of twists and whatnot, and a lot of emotional cheap shots as well). Haven't got a chance to try Multiplayer.

Also, I just went out and bought Skyrim, and just started, and MAN! What a joy it is. The first 5 minutes of gameplay just suck you right in, and thanks to the new development system, you don't have to sit there and pick attributes for your character at the beginning. You just choose your class and appearance, and you're off!

The world of Skyrim really is MUCH better than that of oblivion as well, with graphics greatly revampped, and simply put, a LOT brighter. Even the night feels brighter than Oblivion's day ever could. It truly does feel like an immersive adventure. I really recommend EVERYONE go out and buy this game. You can NOT find any better way to spend $60!

EDIT: Wow, I just realized I put in $180 the past week on videogames alone. Hmm....pyschological concept. I would have second guessed myself and thought long and hard if I was gone plop that down on a valkyrie, but in parts, $60 a pop didn't seem bad....until I did the math :D

Edited by Archer

A lot of my tests are over, so I put in some hours this weekend on my games. BF3 Multiplayer continues to be pure joy, but unfortunately, most of my friends have moved on to newer games, so there is no one really for me to play with. On MW3, I surprisingly LOVED the campaign, and there is TONS of story for those of you who liked the previous campaign modes (The story ends REALLY well, and there are tons of twists and whatnot, and a lot of emotional cheap shots as well). Haven't got a chance to try Multiplayer.

They've already moved on? WTF? I lost 6 months of my life to BF2 because it was so addictive. As for COD, it's great to hear that the story's there-that's what I liked about it so much. As for the $$$$$$.......man it never gets easy, does it...

They've already moved on? WTF? I lost 6 months of my life to BF2 because it was so addictive. As for COD, it's great to hear that the story's there-that's what I liked about it so much. As for the $$$$$$.......man it never gets easy, does it...

Yeah, I know right? Most of my friends are either knee deep in MW3 multiplayer, or slaving their lives over playing Skyrim though. Even I fell prey to the latter....

• 2 weeks later...

well, i'm a bit over halfway in MGS4, and it has, so far proven the best PS3 game i've played to date, by far!

truly is, like all the MGS entries before it, a true EXPERIENCE, rather than a mere simple "Video Game"

i REALLY enjoyed all the small details, such as the wild Guinea Pig herds in the South American portion of the game. way to go, Director Kojima!!

and the

battle between MG REX and MG RAY; an honest-to-god Mecha battle between the two?!?

Z.O.M.G. straight out of the wildest wet dreams i had, going through MGS1 on the PS1 back in 1998!!

WHAT a sendoff to the series, Kojima-san!!!! :lol::D:lol:

i REALLY enjoyed all the small details, such as the wild Guinea Pig herds in the South American portion of the game. way to go, Director Kojima!!

:lol::D:lol:

When I would play that game my own guinea pigs would hear the squeaking from the in-game guinea pigs and they'd get all excited and start squeaking back, lol.

Yes the MG series is overflowing with detail but...my overall impression of the games is that they're too talky, or something...

When I would play that game my own guinea pigs would hear the squeaking from the in-game guinea pigs and they'd get all excited and start squeaking back, lol.

Yes the MG series is overflowing with detail but...my overall impression of the games is that they're too talky, or something...

why? isn't that what one might accurately consider to be storyline?

after all, it is well known that Kojima-san's ultimate goal always was to develop a true "Interactive Movie" experience in a VG,

which he has been rather adroitly accomplishing, time and again, since MGS1 way back in 1998.

perhaps it's just due to the fact that i have never been an FPS fan, and, as such, have never really played anything

besides the MGS series that bears any semblance to the genre, but there is a lot i appreciate about the MGS games,

and how they are designed.

to be precise, there has never been one so far that has not gotten my blood pumping and mind racing

just like the best techno-action edge-of-your-seat thrillers i have ever seen in my 30 years of life.

further, most every one has some truly terrific, insightful food for thought to balance out the hairpin action.

so, in sum, for me, these games really truly have it all,in very much the same way as the best motion pictures out there do.

truly, the closest, IMHO, the industry has ever come to the true, quintessential "Interactive Movie"

Edited by Shaorin

Uncharted 2 does this WAY better imo. There are in game cinematics but much of the story is actually told AS YOU PLAY and not, put down the controller for 45 mins and watch a mini movie.

THIS. In MG for example, every time Snake does something as simple as learn about a new piece of equipment or a character you might as well put down the controller, grab a drink, go to the bathroom, finish your term paper, get some chips or whatever because the game drones on and on about everything for what seems like an eternity. Another example that got on my nerves about how excessive MG can be was in Snake Eater, where you had to don 'camo and crawl past enemy guards. I mean, c'mon let's try and not be so ridiculous. And then, let's not forget some of the way-over-the-top cinematics that would make an 80's action star blush, like the MG remake on Game Cube that had snake kicking missiles out of the air. Too much detail or cinematics, like anything, can be a bad thing...

Edited by myk

Played uncharted 2, played MGS4. MGS4-FTW! Epic boss battles, crazy weapons, stealth or kill-em all play,etc. Cut-scene haters gonna hate, but it's all in the name of freakin' epic story. And Shaorin, DO NOT SKIP THE CREDITS! There are a couple surprises left duirng and after them.

after all, it is well known that Kojima-san's ultimate goal always was to develop a true "Interactive Movie" experience in a VG,

which he has been rather adroitly accomplishing, time and again, since MGS1 way back in 1998.

He got there with Snatcher. Way back in the 80s.

Metal Gear was something different. It was an attempt to make a "realistic" spec ops commando game. It's only since Kojima's become inextricably bound to Metal Gear that the whole interactive movie thing's taken it over.

And... from what I hear, MGS4 isn't very interactive.

perhaps it's just due to the fact that i have never been an FPS fan, and, as such, have never really played anything

besides the MGS series that bears any semblance to the genre, but there is a lot i appreciate about the MGS games,

and how they are designed.

MGS isn't anything like an FPS. I'm confused here.

truly, the closest, IMHO, the industry has ever come to the true, quintessential "Interactive Movie"

Snatcher did it better.

So did Dragon's Lair, for that matter.

Heh. Anyone else remember when full-motion video was the future of games?

Hell, I'd go far enough as to say Ninja Gaiden did it better.

NES or XBox, your choice, though they're very different KINDS of movie.

THIS. In MG for example, every time Snake does something as simple as learn about a new piece of equipment or a character you might as well put down the controller, grab a drink, go to the bathroom, finish your term paper, get some chips or whatever because the game drones on and on about everything for what seems like an eternity. Another example that got on my nerves about how excessive MG can be was in Snake Eater, where you had to don 'camo and crawl past enemy guards. I mean, c'mon let's try and not be so ridiculous. And then, let's not forget some of the way-over-the-top cinematics that would make an 80's action star blush, like the MG remake on Game Cube that had snake kicking missiles out of the air. Too much detail or cinematics, like anything, can be a bad thing...

Yeah, I haven't bothered with a Metal Gear after MGS for any real length of time.

I don't mind ridiculously over-the-top action(Snake kicking missiles out of the air is ridiculous, but Vulcan Raven carrying a gun bigger than him that he ripped out of an A-10 isn't?), but if I'm spending more time watching the story than I am playing the game, I have to wonder why I'm not watching a movie instead.

Metal Gear was fun, and at the time it was something that simply hadn't been done before.

Metal Gear 2 struck a nice balance between complexity and playability, and the plot comes in enough to be an ongoing THING and not a reason to kill us some terrorists, but not enough to really get in the way.

MGS struck a balance between plot and play. There's enough interlude to tell a complex story while not actually hindering enjoyment of the game. It's like the NES Ninja Gaiden games. The plot happens in bursts between "stages."

And it never takes itself too seriously. It knows it exists to entertain, and if that means that people occasionally tell you a turbo-fire controller is cheating, use their psychic powers on your memory card, or recoil in horror when they realize you have a monaural television... well, it's all in the name of entertainment.

MGS2 was an active attempt by Kojima to kill the franchise before it gained enough momenteum to be some unstoppable lumbering beast like Final Fantasy that will continue in perpetuity no matter how bad it gets. It only served to prove that Metal Gear was ALREADY a lumbering unstoppable beast like Final Fantasy that will continue in perpetuity no matter how bad it gets.

MGS3 I just don't care about. Prequels almost always raise red flags at me, and moving from near-future sci-fi to near-past "real world" isn't even remotely an improvement in my book. So that's really as much as I know of it, other than there's a hilarious radio conversation about the infamous cardboard box.

As for MGS4 and it's cutscene craziness... I think Kojima wanted to do another Snatcher game and then realized people demand gunplay. So there's bursts of Metal Gear in between the cutscenes.

I'll ignore Ghost Babel and Metal Gear Acid, just like everyone else did. Though Ghost Babel was fun to play. Very MG2-style of game.

And now Kojima's chained down by a franchise he never wanted, since he can't bring himself to stand back and let people pump complete garbage out with the Metal Gear name on it while he makes something he WANTS to do instead of something he HAS to do. I gather he TRIED to leave Peace Walker alone, but he had to come back because Konami was screwing it up fast and hard.

And it's all because you jerks had to make MGS2 a best-seller! I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY!

And it's all because you jerks had to make MGS2 a best-seller! I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY!

Errrr yeah I bought that game several times myself as gifts to others and whatnot so I'm guilty of that, lol. But I have to disagree with you 'JB, Vulcan Raven carrying around a Vulcan cannon was complete AWESOME... :p

Also, I was always annoyed about how clueless they had to make Snake's character, just so the game could have an excuse to have an extended conversation on the CODEC. A typical hair pulling scenario would go like this:

*You have to go to ******** and infiltrate the base...

"You want me to go WHERE? You want me to INFILTRATE?

*Yes, and along the way you'll meet a contact who will provide you with 'intel...

"I'm going to MEET SOMEONE? They're going to give me INTEL??????????!!!

*Now you can't go in with weapons so it'll be on-site procurement for equipment...

"I can't have weapons????!!!!! Or equipment???? On-site procurement???? HUUUUUUUUUH???!

*Remember if you don't destroy the ********** the nation of ************ will be thrown into chaos....

"Destroy????? Chaos???? Nation???? HUUUHHH????

*PS: While I was a prisoner I had to endure torture and.......OTHER THINGS...

What????? Torture????? Other things????!!!!! Huh???!!!!!

Snake's supposed to be some salty, veteran warrior with decades of experience but everything from weapons to people to insects to ketchup has to be explained to him with encyclopedia-level detail and clarity JUST so we can have more talking.

I realize that MG's just trying to draw you into the story, but like 'JB said there are other games like Ninja Gaiden and................Dragon's Lair that succeeded in doing so without becoming too preachy and serious for its own good. Come to think of it, I remember almost falling asleep watching the intro to MGS4; Christ I thought I had bought accidentally bought a DVD instead of a game it took so long and talked so much...

I remember that I enjoyed KILLING Meryl with various weapons in MGS, though...

Edited by myk

Played uncharted 2, played MGS4. MGS4-FTW! Epic boss battles, crazy weapons, stealth or kill-em all play,etc. Cut-scene haters gonna hate, but it's all in the name of freakin' epic story. And Shaorin, DO NOT SKIP THE CREDITS! There are a couple surprises left duirng and after them.

not to worry; i NEVER skip credits, on ANYTHING that i play or watch...

I remember that I enjoyed KILLING Meryl with various weapons in MGS, though...

"Ehhh, to Hell with you!!" - SOLID SNAKE, MGS1

Edited by Shaorin

- Picked up a second PS3 for black friday since I feared my original 60gb unit might conk out.

- Any of you guys picking up Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme versus? Just ordered it today. I love the arcade version.

Also any of you guys part of the MAAN clan? I am and was just curious?

Edited by jwinges

MGS4 was too much movie, not enough interactive.

Gonna agree with eugimon. The Uncharted series feel like a fun summer adventure movies, ala Indiana Jones, The Mummy, or Pirates of the Caribbean, in terms of story, characters, and voice acting. But 95% of that story occurs while you're actually playing the game.

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this. Especially when you're down on MGS3 without even playing it. Snatcher was a point and click adventure/mystery, and not even remotely the same thing as MGS. As for anythingi n videogames being outlandish, I'm gonna call shennaigans on that,since most things in games are outlandish. Same goes for complaining about weapons tutorials, as all games have their methods of training the player on game mechanics.

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this. Especially when you're down on MGS3 without even playing it. Snatcher was a point and click adventure/mystery, and not even remotely the same thing as MGS. As for anythingi n videogames being outlandish, I'm gonna call shennaigans on that,since most things in games are outlandish. Same goes for complaining about weapons tutorials, as all games have their methods of training the player on game mechanics.

It's not so much that elements of the game are outlandish; it's that so many elements of the game are silly. The Game just throws ridiculous, cartoony thing after ridiculous, cartoony thing at the player while still trying to play itself off as a serious, dramatic piece of media.

It's love it or hate it with the Metal Gear series. No point in beating the dead horse on that subject.

- Any of you guys picking up Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme versus? Just ordered it today. I love the arcade version.

I'm picking up Gundam Extreme Vs also, have it pre ordered with play asia. Seeing as I'm in the US I've never played the arcade version but the gameplay I've seen looks good. Any idea if I can play the game online from here?

It's not so much that elements of the game are outlandish; it's that so many elements of the game are silly. The Game just throws ridiculous, cartoony thing after ridiculous, cartoony thing at the player while still trying to play itself off as a serious, dramatic piece of media.

I'm going to have to side with Keith on this one. Haven't played mgs 4 yet. Decided to replay all the previous mgs games before it (just finished mgs 2 hd need a break). Each game introduced a new layer of game play. Mgs 2 gave us the tranquilizer gun , first person perceptive, shooting out radios and dog tags , Three introduced camouflage , destroying supplies, truly foraging for supplies, supplies being limited, equipment weight and making you think twice about running around in that area where the guards are all wearing camo.

I think those cartoony moments are there to make you realize your playing a game.

I'll take Mgs over the top moments over Gears of war over the top moments with no real meaning.

Speaking of Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, is there shortage? I have looked at the Wal-Mart and GameStop in the North end of Spokane, WA since it came out and no one has it! What gives? Guess I will have to try Best Buy.

Twich

I was seriously thinking about picking up the Metal Gear Solid HD collection, but I realized that they included Peace Walker instead of The Twin Snakes. I'm glad the Peace Walker expands on the story from MGS3, but without some version of the first game in the series, the collection feels incomplete.

It really is stupid that Nintendo is giving sh!t over Twin Snakes, especially when MGS3 is coming out on the 3DS. You'd think that would have been a fair enough trade, but oh well. I was actually hoping they'd tweak (spoiler for Shaorin if he hasn't finished MGS4)

The Shadow Moses map & models from MGS 4 to do a remake of MGS1 for this collection, that would have been beyond sweet

, but oh well.

The HD collection is pretty awesome as is, though MGS3 & Peace Walker are the clear stars, MGS2 hasn't aged quite as well. As for MGS1 in general, Konami's reccomended solution is to download it from the PSN and just play the PS1 emu, though I'll be damned if the tank fight doesn't feel like it's moving too fast. Maybe I'm just remembering things differently though.

legal issues with Nintendo prevent a re-release of twin snakes. But mgs 1 is on the psn store.

Nintendo probably wants to include Twin Snakes in an upcoming HD MGS Collection for the Wii U or its online store. If Nintendo lets Sony and Microsoft have the first crack at it, then no one will buy up their own set. It makes good business sense.

MGS2 was an active attempt by Kojima to kill the franchise before it gained enough momenteum to be some unstoppable lumbering beast like Final Fantasy that will continue in perpetuity no matter how bad it gets.

LOL! That's the best explanation behind MGS2's story that I've ever heard. I now hate it just a little less. :p

It really is stupid that Nintendo is giving sh!t over Twin Snakes, especially when MGS3 is coming out on the 3DS. You'd think that would have been a fair enough trade, but oh well. I was actually hoping they'd tweak (spoiler for Shaorin if he hasn't finished MGS4)

The Shadow Moses map & models from MGS 4 to do a remake of MGS1 for this collection, that would have been beyond sweet

, but oh well.

oh i'm quite past all that by now; how else do you you think i'd have known about this;

and the

battle between MG REX and MG RAY; an honest-to-god Mecha battle between the two?!?

Z.O.M.G. straight out of the wildest wet dreams i had, going through MGS1 on the PS1 back in 1998!!

WHAT a sendoff to the series, Kojima-san!!!! :lol::D:lol:

regardless, i agree, the

SHADOW MOSES segment

was done just beautifully, IMO...

tumblr_lon8n4k4S91qe481ao1_500.jpg

Edited by Shaorin