The PS3 thread

Gaijin

And if all of those recommendations aren't enough to inspire you Shaorin maybe, like me, you're just not into gaming anymore. But that's ok, because the PS3 does all sorts of other stuff too...

oh, i'm into gaming alright... VINTAGE gaming.

i've made my old NINTENDO SNES and SEGA GENESIS and SATURN all region free,

and am having a blast not only replacing the U.S. copies of all the favorite games of my youth

with their JPN originals, but also greatly enjoying discovering japanese market-only gems,

many of which i never even knew existed.

as far as modern gaming is concerned, it is what it now is, and for the most part, simply isn't for me...

Western RPGs, which have left their Japanese kindred by the wayside.

Fallout 3, Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc.

that MAY be true from a purely technical and gameplay oriented standpoint,

but for everything else, western game design will NEVER surpass japanese IMHO.

if i am to waste 20/40+ hours of my life trudging through an RPG,

then i want it to be populated with (hopefully) engaging characters

that are at the very least moderately Anime-styled.

i simply DO NOT believe in this whole "we have moved long past the age of silly Anime-styled RPG characters" crap

that is so prevalent in today's VG development industry.

just because the PS3, for example, is capable of startlingly near-photo realistic graphics

doesn't automatically necisarrily mean that EVERY SINGLE DAMNED VG these days

designed for markets beyond that of the pre-teen ABSOLUTELY HAS to be BRUTALLY REALISTIC.

in sum, what Japanese VG developers these days need to do is stop letting western developers

rule the damned roost all the damned time these days, with their unholy damned "Gritty" game softs,

and start remembering the past a bit and drawing from it to make a new renaissance

of neo-classic JRPGs that look and feel like an ideal balance state of the art and the classic,

and play like the very best of what the past had to offer, and not like your atypical minimalistic Dating-Sim or Eroge game.

in essence, us JRPG enthusiasts need more "STAR OCEAN III" in modern efforts,

and less "Shuffle" and "Fate/stay night"

i'm all for dating, and especially marriage elements in a JRPG,

but when modern dev. studios start to borrow wholesale from the game genres

that routinely feature those gameplay elements, then we are invariably left with minimalist, no-talent product

such as these ultimately dissatisfying, poor quality titles that are commonly being passed for JRPGs today...

Edited by Shaorin

that MAY be true from a purely technical and gameplay oriented standpoint,

There's also the narrative standpoint. With few exceptions (like the MegaTen games), JRPGs have been running the same cliches over and over since the orignal PlayStation.

So, better gameplay, better tech, better story, what's left?

Have you never played a Bioware game? They write some of the best characters in the business. I was really glad they made Tali a romance option in Mass Effect 2, despite the fact that over the two games you never once see what she looks like outside her environmental suit.

i simply DO NOT believe in this whole "we have moved long past the age of silly Anime-styled RPG characters" crap

And that's the crux of it right there. You don't want video games in the sense that many of us here do. You want anime in video game form. And you're disappointed that most of it sucks. And I don't really know what to say to that except that maybe Keith's right, maybe you'd be better off pursuing retro gaming, on the Wii or otherwise. Japanese game development, I'm sorry to say, has become largely stagnant. It's why Keiji Inafune left Capcom. It's why guys creative types like Suda 51, Hideki Kamiya, and Shinji Mikami keep forming smaller studios like Clover or Platinum Games.

I think the best advice I can give to you is this: It's not the early 90's anymore; Please joint the rest of us in 2011.

seriously, things are good here in the 21st century; We've got High capacity storage media and fast internet access on everything.

I don't really know what to say to that except that maybe Keith's right, maybe you'd be better off pursuing retro gaming, on the Wii or otherwise.

believe you me, i've been doing just exactly that for a LONG time now, with the ACTUAL softs for the ACTUAL consoles, no less.

remember. it has ONLY been about a month/month1/2 now since i bought my VERY FIRST PS3.

i still have plenty to discover with retro gaming, so i'm well taken care of there.

i just thought i'd FINALLY go ahead and catch up with modern times with a PS3.

i've already owned a Wii for years now, though it has never been of much personal use to me at all,

as it has proven to be more a family console than much of anything else.

the real problem, how i personally see it, is that the few games out there in the U.S. market available for the PS3 to date,

that actually have appeared to at least partially match my personal tastes, and don't make me out-and-out blanch at first sight,

have all, for the most part, rather turned out to be pretty much all flash, and very little substance indeed.

things do not seem to headed any other direction but for the worse in these regards,

so i am simply going to have to come to terms with the fact that this seems to be the immutable nature of the modern VG industry,

and that it simply is not at all for me...

Edited by Shaorin

believe you me, i've been doing just exactly that for a LONG time now, with the ACTUAL softs for the ACTUAL consoles, no less.

remember. it has ONLY been about a month/month1/2 now since i bought my VERY FIRST PS3.

i still have plenty to discover with retro gaming, so i'm well taken care of there.

i've already owned a Wii for years now, though it has never been of much personal use to me at all,

the real problem, how i personally see it, is that the few games out there in the U.S. market available for the PS3 to date,

that actually have appeared to at least partially match my personal tastes, and don't make me out-and-out blanch at first sight,

have all, for the most part, rather turned out to be pretty much all flash, and very little substance indeed.

things do not seem to headed any other direction but for the worse in these regards,

so i am simply going to have to come to terms with the fact that this seems to be the immutable nature of the modern VG industry,

Ratchet & clank, check it out. Also, the PS3 will play Japanese PS3 games.

Edited by Keith

oh, i'm into gaming alright... VINTAGE gaming.

i've made my old NINTENDO SNES and SEGA GENESIS and SATURN all region free,

and am having a blast not only replacing the U.S. copies of all the favorite games of my youth

with their JPN originals, but also greatly enjoying discovering japanese market-only gems,

many of which i never even knew existed.

as far as modern gaming is concerned, it is what it now is, and for the most part, simply isn't for me...

ol

I think you said it best, bud. Focus on your retro gaming thing, then. Meanwhile I still use my PS3 for PS2, PS1 games, netflix, movies, etc. Worst case scenario is you sell your unit to me as I think mine's dying, lol...

... from a purely technical and gameplay oriented standpoint,

just because the PS3, for example, is capable of startlingly near-photo realistic graphics

doesn't automatically necisarrily mean that EVERY SINGLE DAMNED VG these days

designed for markets beyond that of the pre-teen ABSOLUTELY HAS to be BRUTALLY REALISTIC.

in sum, what Japanese VG developers these days need to do is stop letting western developers

rule the damned roost all the damned time these days, with their unholy damned "Gritty" game softs,

and start remembering the past a bit and drawing from it to make a new renaissance

of neo-classic JRPGs that look and feel like an ideal balance state of the art and the classic,

and play like the very best of what the past had to offer...

We have moved passed silly Spikey haired characters in rpgs. Gamers have grown tired of random battles, questing for hours on end to level up so that they have a chance at defeating the boss b/c they didn't find the mystical item x that gives them higher stats and is located in dungeon 4890 and you need party member Q to access it due to MacGuffin K ;but you didn't take Q with you b/c you felt Q wasn't all too good in skill 45a. And MacGuffin K is ONLY useful in that one spot.

ALso story telling has changed we've gone from

to
. Yes spoken dialogue And choices that effect the overall story.

Your probably going why not remake FFVII?

Short answer it would cost too much.

Truthfully you should be more upset about how every game MUST have some sort of multilayer.

Xbox360 is more family oriented. Define worse. Worse to me would be going backwards in storytelling and design by embracing the jrpg's of yesteryear.

I think the best advice I can give to you is this: It's not the early 90's anymore; Please joint the rest of us in 2011.

seriously, things are good here in the 21st century; We've got High capacity storage media and fast internet access on everything.

:lol:

All I can say is try out mass effect on the pc ,mass effect 2, and FFXIII (didn't play it but some love others hate it). Try the Tales of (insert name here) series of games.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Shaorin---I'll third Valkyria Chronicles

Tober---posted that yesterday/last page.

i'll look into that. hopefully i can still find a copy at a reasonable price...

We have moved passed silly Spikey haired characters in rpgs. Gamers have grown tired of random battles, questing for hours on end to level up so that they have a chance at defeating the boss b/c they didn't find the mystical item x that gives them higher stats and is located in dungeon 4890 and you need party member Q to access it due to MacGuffin K ;but you didn't take Q with you b/c you felt Q wasn't all too good in skill 45a. And MacGuffin K is ONLY useful in that one spot.

ALso story telling has changed we've gone from

to
. Yes spoken dialogue And choices that effect the overall story.

Your probably going why not remake FFVII?

Short answer it would cost too much.

Truthfully you should be more upset about how every game MUST have some sort of multilayer.

Xbox360 is more family oriented. Define worse. Worse to me would be going backwards in storytelling and design by embracing the jrpg's of yesteryear.

:lol:

All I can say is try out mass effect on the pc ,mass effect 2, and FFXIII (didn't play it but some love others hate it). Try the Tales of (insert name here) series of games.

one word; BULLS$#T.

Edited by Shaorin

In regards to what exactly?

Look into a psp if you don't have one. there may be more jrpg titles on it.

there is. i'm just not into gaming on the go, or gaming on a 2x4inch dia. display...

I think sir you just aren't happy with the modern gaming climate and the way things are now you aren't going to be happy anytime soon. Especially if you don't buy a PSP. I bought one for Macross Fontier games and have since picked up a good amount of oldschool style RPGs among other games so that satisfies my JRPG fix. But I am always excited for the new crop of games, and though I haven't finished it I do enjoy FF13. Plus it's fall how are you not excited for games like Batman Arkham city, Uncharted 3, Assasin's Creed Revelations and so on? You have a PS3 man use it, otherwise just go to the PSN store and buy and download all the oldschool RPGs you want.

There's an optional TV hook-up, though you can only game with the component cable version.

I've heard certain models of psp or games will work with both cables but have not tried this myself. I want to say the PSP3000 because it doesn't require progressive scan?

Also you can always run custom firmware and remotejoy to play on your computer monitor as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Curious question for everyone. I recently purchased on PSN the game Final Fantasy 9. It took me 48 hours to download on my backwards compatible 60GB PS3, since my son shares me sign in and he also has a PS3, but the newer 160 GB version, I downloaded it to his unit as well. I was sickened when his download took less than 5 and a half hours to complete! Why is this? Do the newer models have better wireless adapters?

Twich

Curious question for everyone. I recently purchased on PSN the game Final Fantasy 9. It took me 48 hours to download on my backwards compatible 60GB PS3, since my son shares me sign in and he also has a PS3, but the newer 160 GB version, I downloaded it to his unit as well. I was sickened when his download took less than 5 and a half hours to complete! Why is this? Do the newer models have better wireless adapters?

Twich

Twich

Even if it did, the slowest part of internet connections by far is from your house to your internet provider. So it sounds like just dumb luck. (or bad luck depending on how you look at it)

A game like that shouldn't take more than a half hour on a slow day, check your connection. What tier of internet service are you on from your provider? If you're ona budget DSL or something, that could also explain the slow ass speed. If not, try going in and resetting all your internet settings. Even 5 hours is way too long.

Edited by Keith

What do you mean by the blutooth is slow?

Input on my official PS3 wireless controllers is frequently delayed. So much so that I have started using unofficial wired (USB) controllers. One of my friends who also has a launch console has experienced this as well but it is not as pronounced on his system.

I've got a launch system too, and that's the first I've heard of it happening. I'm assuming you've gone through with r-synching your controllers, and using the manual reset on the back of the controller, etc. May also want to go into the PS3 diagnostic menu and redo your file structure (whichever option defrags the hard drive but doesn't format it, be careful with that actually).

Well I replaced the HD somewhat recently and the problem has persisted. The other controller stuff I've tried and I've also tried synching someone else's to my system with similar results. Ruled out interference at my home too because the problem occurs even when I use the system at my friend's place. My friend and I always joke that I must have a metal plate in my head or something :p

Sony cut corners on the launch systems. Underrated power supplies and cheap Blu-ray players are probably just the tip of the iceberg so maybe we can just stack this up to that.

My PS3, which isn't a launch unit but is still a first-gen 60GB unit, would NEVER connect wirelessly. Couldn't say if that's relevant or not, but I felt like chiming in with that. Even though it sits not four feet from the router, it'd say it was connected, then immediately drop the connection.

'Course, since it sits so close to the router, I just wired it in. Haven't thought about it again, even after moving, until now.

Well, as far as the speed issue, living in the great wilderness of northeast washington, DSL. With 1.5 megabit download is the fastest they offer here. My PS3 has always had trouble staying connected to the internet and being super slow download speed. I have gone through 3 routers and still the same result. Also, just as a note, my sixaxis control got fried by me touching it and it shocked me, and of course, it was just out of warranty. My PSP-3000 god of war ghost of sparta model downloaded the copy of gow in like 5 hours, so I think it is just a launch unit wireless unit problem

Twich

Well, as far as the speed issue, living in the great wilderness of northeast washington, DSL. With 1.5 megabit download is the fastest they offer here. My PS3 has always had trouble staying connected to the internet and being super slow download speed. I have gone through 3 routers and still the same result. Also, just as a note, my sixaxis control got fried by me touching it and it shocked me, and of course, it was just out of warranty. My PSP-3000 god of war ghost of sparta model downloaded the copy of gow in like 5 hours, so I think it is just a launch unit wireless unit problem

Twich

When in doubt, unplug everything and reset everything from scratch.

Oh, I did all that because I have started the download of Crysis for PS3 off of PSN. I started the download at 8:30pm and it is now 12:50 pm the next day and it is only at 34%. I really think that the wireless module was crap on these. Maybe I should run networking cable, but I would need like 60', how much signal loss will that incur? Who knows.....

Twich

Oh, I did all that because I have started the download of Crysis for PS3 off of PSN. I started the download at 8:30pm and it is now 12:50 pm the next day and it is only at 34%. I really think that the wireless module was crap on these. Maybe I should run networking cable, but I would need like 60', how much signal loss will that incur? Who knows.....

Twich

Ethernet cable has no signal loss up to about 100'. Even then the it would be so small that it wouldn't matter.

If you have a smaller ethernet cable around the house try moving the ps3 closer to your router and connect it that way. Check that your speeds will improve before you actually spend the money on the cable. It should not be taking that long to download something off psn. What are your internet speeds? What does your computer get?

I only get a max of 1.5 Megabits out here....but that is all that I can get in the area because CenturyLink will not speed things up until there is a demand for it. Well, I demand it! But who am I? Just the consumer paying for the internet, I guess....no one important. LOL

I tried to sell the idea of the cable to my wife, she doesnt like the idea of the clutter....So I guess that I am stuck with this.

Twich