The PS3 thread

Gaijin

I'm tempted to buy Deus Ex - Human Revolution. Thing is, I've never played any previous Deus Ex games before.

Would I be lost in the plot if I just went ahead and played Deus Ex - HR?

Also, what is this game supposed to be? IGN calls it a FPS, while a review I read in a local newspaper said it was a RPG[???]

NOTE: I posted an identical post on another thread. Not sure while one I should post this one. A thousand apologies, mods.

It's a FPS with RPG elements, a bit like Fallout 3 in that regard. Also like Fallout 3, no, you don't need to have played the other games in the series, they are only occasionally referenced - although I'm probably a long way from the end.

Doesn't seem to work with ANY flight stick.

Anyways---I think (and hope) that the demo level isn't very representative of the game's missions overall. It's ULTRA-scripted. It is basically a tutorial, every second of it--most of it focusing on how to use the close-range attacks. "Enemy #4" will NOT die until you go past the 2nd set of cranes (and you WILL go past the cranes when fighting him, even if you started 30 miles away from them). Also, most enemies are "aces" and will only go down using the close-quarters whatever.

(I had the same issue with AC6---the first level was so scripted that once you knew what you were doing at all, it seemed a hindrance because you couldn't just do stuff the way you wanted---this is more so)

In short---do exactly what the demo says. It really is just a tutorial, and it's not going to let you do anything else. If it says turn left---don't bother doing anything else. Same for "engaging enemy group 2 from behind with XAAM's". Again--I assume/hope that all the other missions are more "open-minded" and you can pretty much kill enemies how you feel/want, with only the occasional uber-ace *requiring* that you get in ultra-close to gun him down.

Stuff to experiment with/info gathered from forums:

When in-close, guns seem to slow the enemy down to let you get even closer. Distance=lock-on time for missiles. Thus, guns are a means to get more missile shots in by decreasing range (and thus lock-on time), not so much for doing damage.

Doesn't seem to work with ANY flight stick.

So did you try using the old AC5 stick combo with this demo? That's a deal-breaker for me - I can't do anything with my thumbs!

Seriously, what a terrible way to sell a game. You can even severely damage your plain by scrimming the ground and it'll auto-repair The game better let you disable and be playable without all the baby features. The city map looked horrible btw.

Yeah, I fully expected to crash when I hit the water. I was merely "severely damaged". And then it fixed itself after a while! I may have to start out in "ace" mode...

So did you try using the old AC5 stick combo with this demo? That's a deal-breaker for me - I can't do anything with my thumbs!

Don't have it, but I presume others have tried it--haven't seen anyone say it does work yet. Maybe the finished product will have more compatability built-in.

Yeah, I fully expected to crash when I hit the water. I was merely "severely damaged". And then it fixed itself after a while! I may have to start out in "ace" mode...

Don't have it, but I presume others have tried it--haven't seen anyone say it does work yet. Maybe the finished product will have more compatability built-in.

I'll try it and see if it works. I gotta go dig out the stick from my closet.

Edit: Tried but I couldn't get it to recognize the stick. Granted this is a demo though so the functionality might not be in.

On another side note, after unboxing my AC5 stick, I noticed the stick was very sticky and tacky. I guess the high humidity of my island took its toll on the rubber like coating on the stick. I'll have to scrape it all off and use goo gone or something. It's very gross and sticky. Still works on my PS2 though. In fact, other than that the stick is like new. Too bad it doesn't work with this AC. At least not in the demo.

Edited by Gaijin

I'll try it and see if it works. I gotta go dig out the stick from my closet.

Edit: Tried but I couldn't get it to recognize the stick. Granted this is a demo though so the functionality might not be in.

On another side note, after unboxing my AC5 stick, I noticed the stick was very sticky and tacky. I guess the high humidity of my island took its toll on the rubber like coating on the stick. I'll have to scrape it all off and use goo gone or something. It's very gross and sticky. Still works on my PS2 though. In fact, other than that the stick is like new. Too bad it doesn't work with this AC. At least not in the demo.

Goo be gone can actualy damage plastic if your not careful

TGS is in full swing, still no news on a Macross or Gundam artdink game for the vita, but they did say the battery life will be between 3-5 hours. It'l also use memory sticks, and I hope that means they're sticking with the pro-dou. Dare I dream that I won't have to go out & my new media for the damn thing? :) There are also rumors abound that Sony will have some scheme of letting us play our UMD games on the vita. I won't put much stock in that until I see real comfirmation. Best case? Some means of registering owned games with the PSN, and perhaps a usb connect between the PSP & vita to copy a disc. Worst case? Total B.S.

just finally bit it yesterday (9-15-11) on a PS3 "Move" bundle, as that was the best overall deal in my area.

well, "It only does Everything" whatever the hell that is supposed to mean, and i already have several games for it

that i bought months ago when they first came out,

so it was high time i picked one of these incredible, magical, sexually-charged "Everything" machines up for myself, i suppose.

at any rate, despite the fact that i had just dropped $350 on the damned console, plus another $20 on MGS4 GREATEST HITS,

i just couldn't seem to help but drop another $50 on this, what with it's rather Adorable female chara designs and all;

AGARESTWARZERO-JOHN-9-15-11.jpg

comes with a very nice Artbook and a fairly useless (to me, at least) Omake box containing a couple decks of cards

(one with "spirit elements" from the game itself, the other a standard deck of playing cards with photos of the characters on the K/Q/J/A cards)

record-of-agarest-war-zero-2011-03-08-11-011_0900062169.jpg

ZeroHero.png

ZeroRoutier.png

at any rate, the first games me and my sister tried were the CASTLEVANIA; LORDS OF SHADOW that she bought earlier this year

since she is an ardent CASTLEVANIA fan, and MGS4, as i am something of an MGS Veteran,

having gone completely through every MGS so far save for 3, which i never cared for, and, of course, this fourth installment.

what can i say? graphics are awesome. the game manages to look and feel so hard-boiledly realistic that it can get somewhat disturbing to me at times.

still, i'm managing, and am about three hours in at present...

at any rate, despite the fact that i had just dropped $350 on the damned console, plus another $20 on MGS4 GREATEST HITS,

i just couldn't seem to help but drop another $50 on this, what with it's rather Adorable female chara designs and all;

Needs more VCRs.

TGS is in full swing, still no news on a Macross or Gundam artdink game for the vita, but they did say the battery life will be between 3-5 hours. It'l also use memory sticks, and I hope that means they're sticking with the pro-dou. Dare I dream that I won't have to go out & my new media for the damn thing? :) There are also rumors abound that Sony will have some scheme of letting us play our UMD games on the vita. I won't put much stock in that until I see real comfirmation. Best case? Some means of registering owned games with the PSN, and perhaps a usb connect between the PSP & vita to copy a disc. Worst case? Total B.S.

From what I've read, the Vita will be using its own media (which shouldn't be a surprise considering it's Sony. They say it will be able to play the downloadable PSP games, but no news that I've seen mentions anything about using UMD games on the system.

My question about the PS Vita comng out is since it has a way of presenting the icons, will the XcrossMediaBar of the PSP/PS3 be replaced with something new? PS3 is due for firmware version 4.0 soon, will the big change be that? I really wonder how all this is going to work......

Twich

I'm actually hoping for the opposite. I like the XMB how it is, and hope the Vita has the ability to display it that way.

Same.

I really hope for Vita to be the optional WiiU of the PS3/PS4

I actually hope that the PSVita is a true and wonderful successor to the PSP. I am a father of 3, so the only time that I get to play my games is after everyone goes to bed and I am laying in bed with my earphones on playing my PSP, and the fact that it looks like such greats as the Metal Gear Solid HD collection, plus Final Fantasy X HD will be coming to the Vita, just gives me hope that it will really be a great machine and not just a touch sensitive gimmick for the PS3. As far as my thoughts on the whole XMB thing, it seems that the PS3 used it because the PSP came out with it and made it easier to navigate with commonality between the devices, but with the Vita and its' touch screen, I really wonder if there will be a change to the way the PS3 displays things....I guess that time will tell, but it really is an exciting time with all the new releases that are due out. I am still really enjoying Warhammer 40k Space Marine, when I can play it....it is a little gory for my kids to see and watch me play.

Twich

Can anyone recommend me a fun PSN multiplayer game?

I was thinking about Fat Princess or Castle Crashers.

XMen

Just tried the Ace Combat demo.

Extremely... disappointed. Voice acting... is... terrible.

DFM is lame and gimmicky.

Helicopter mode... so weak.

Sad to see the decline of a legacy.

Hands down all time worst voice acting is Ace Combat X for PSP. Laughably bad

Can somebody help? I thought the PS3'S were BLU RAY players, yet when I tried to play a THOR Blu-ray disk in my PS3 it said that it needed to be upgraded?!!! and I can only get it upgaded online and I don't have an internet connection for my PS3!!

I'm glad I decided to hold off buying STAR WARS on BLU-RAY especially now that my PS3 DOESN'T PLAY BLU-RAYS!!!!! :angry:

I can only get it upgaded online and I don't have an internet connection for my PS3!!

How are you posting here on MW? Hook your PS3 up to that. My PS3 is off-line 99% of the time. I just disconnect my cable modem from my PC every once in a while to hook up my PS3 and update it.

Anyways---Blu-Ray's standards are constantly evolving. Same as any other software. As Thor is brand-spanking-new, it probably requires the very latest standard/software--which you'll have to download. Even if you bought a top-of-the-line brand-new standalone Blu-Ray player 3 months ago in a store--it too could need to be upgraded to play Thor. It's not a PS3 issue. It's a Blu-Ray issue.

How are you posting here on MW? Hook your PS3 up to that. My PS3 is off-line 99% of the time. I just disconnect my cable modem from my PC every once in a while to hook up my PS3 and update it.

Anyways---Blu-Ray's standards are constantly evolving. Same as any other software. As Thor is brand-spanking-new, it probably requires the very latest standard/software--which you'll have to download. Even if you bought a top-of-the-line brand-new standalone Blu-Ray player 3 months ago in a store--it too could need to be upgraded to play Thor. It's not a PS3 issue. It's a Blu-Ray issue.

So older blu-rays work in a PS3 without upgrades? The reason for my outrage is due to my misunderstanding about blu-rays. I thought they were like DVD's and I never had a problem watching them on my PS3. I don't own any blu-rays nor have I ever rented them I've always bought and rented DVD'S. Today, Blockbuster only had one copy of THOR and it was a BLU-RAY so I thought "My PS3 is a Blu-Ray player" and I rented it, not knowing about needing upgades to watch newer Blu-rays. Will I need upgades to play newer PS3 games likE the new Ace Combat game? I only played PS2 games on my Ps3 waiting for a new ace combat game. :unsure: