The PS3 thread

Gaijin

I just got my copy for the 360 and like mikeszekely mine was also the last copy. So far I like it.

1.The graphics are nicely overhauled, love the cell shading

2.Its good to see Kou Uraki back in a game

3.I noticed they borrowed the battle gauge from fed vs zeon so you can die and respawn till the bar is out.

4.The tutorial missions are crap. The little blurb says something along the line of "so and so is a powerful move/enemy to use/kill learn how to use/kill it here. BUT IT DOESN'T ACTUALLY TELL YOU HOW TO DO IT. Not to mention the first one throws you up against the Big Zam. Only my prior DWG experience saved me. Newbies are going to be like WTF?!?!

5.The variety of gundam shows is amazing I think the only thing I haven't seen so far is anything from "for the barrel"

6.The enemy aces respawning is kinda annoying so far.

Yeah, figuring out how the mobile armours work in this new version took me a while. I definitely find them harder to beat in this version. Back in 2, it became a routine of avoiding attacks while powering up the smash hit, knock them back with the smash hits until they power down (or they use an attack that powers them down after), then close in for SP and heavy combos. I could drop a Psyco Gundam in 2 minutes. Now, having to keep attacking to build up the "chance gauge" keeps you close, and no smash attack means you can't knock them off balance anymore (at least, I can't find the smash anymore). Big Zam especially, since its beam immunity means ranged shots don't build up the gauge. At least the red "I'm about to get you" power-lines let you know when you need to back off, but it sure can take longer.

Edited by Penguin

• 2 weeks later...

If my computer (laptop) has a HDMI port, can I use it as a monitor for the PS3? If so how do I switch back and forth between the computer and PS3?

I don't want to say that it's definitely impossible, because I'm not familiar enough with the HDMI hardware spec, but the HDMI on your laptop is for output, not input. You can hook your laptop up to a monitor, projector, or even an HDTV, but you can't use it as screen for another HDMI device.

I don't want to say that it's definitely impossible, because I'm not familiar enough with the HDMI hardware spec, but the HDMI on your laptop is for output, not input. You can hook your laptop up to a monitor, projector, or even an HDTV, but you can't use it as screen for another HDMI device.

Ah I see. I thought that might be the case.

I've been laid off of work for 3 months now. During the first month my PS3 broke down. I got plenty of free hours and playing a few games would be a nice distraction. I have enough in savings but I have a limit of how much I'll spend on fun right now. A benefactor is covering the difference (plus they owed me for breaking something separate from the PS3).

I filled out the repair request forms for my 60 model. Cost to repair/replace is $129. The site bring up this upgrade offer for one their newer 120 units for $99. I went with the one I have. Is Sony running low on my model or trying to get them out of people's hands altogether?

I've been laid off of work for 3 months now. During the first month my PS3 broke down. I got plenty of free hours and playing a few games would be a nice distraction. I have enough in savings but I have a limit of how much I'll spend on fun right now. A benefactor is covering the difference (plus they owed me for breaking something separate from the PS3).

I filled out the repair request forms for my 60 model. Cost to repair/replace is $129. The site bring up this upgrade offer for one their newer 120 units for $99. I went with the one I have. Is Sony running low on my model or trying to get them out of people's hands altogether?

I think that sony no longer makes the "big" models anymore. Beyond that, I think it's cheaper for them to just send you a new slim model rather than fix or supply you with a new 60 or 80 GB big model. A friend of mine with no warranty had to pay only 50 for a new slim sent to him (he got to keep the broken one), or he could pay the full price of a new ps3 to fix the broken one (and he would have to pay to and from shipping as well). Personally, I think Sony is trying desperately hard to make everyone forget the $500 old versions existed. Their $250 slim is much more marketable really.

Probably a little from column A & B. Standard practice would be to ship you a comparable model that's already been repaired, but since there are likely fewer left in their hands, you have to wait until they get around to fixing yours before you'll get it back. Why does that take so long? Because they stopped manufacturing parts on the older models, and have to order up special. Instead of charging you an extra $99, they should fess up and say it's not cost effective for them to fix it, and just send you the slim for the $129 you've already paid. May want to bring that up if you have to contact customer service.

Edited by Keith

For $129 I hope they repair yours, if that is your desire, and return it with hard drive intact. I hated getting a re-manufactured X360 and it found its way to ebay.

I am worried that my 60 may fall by the wayside. It not just the money of a new system or repair but I actually have and enjoy some PS2 games.

Oh, then call them up, get your $30, and take that new slim. My 60 gig is still kicking, and it has quite a bit of milleage on it. I can't help but wonder if replacing the HDD helped, but I hope I won't have to worry about replacing it. I don't even care about the backwards compatability at this point, I just love my fat model.

Edited by Keith

• 1 month later...

Hey Roy,

It has been about 3-4 weeks since you got a replacement PS3. How is that going for you?

Great I love my new piece of crap.

1st PS3 broke down after about 2 years of use.

2nd One broke had the same issue after a 1 to 1 & 1/2 years.

3rd One with the replacement warranty still good breaks down in a month.

Here's the problem: After turning the PS3 on for a few minutes it shuts itself off to the Red light standby mode. Tested it twice to make sure it wasn't a fluke. According to Sony's site it might just be over heating. Well it was off all night it can't over heat in 5 minutes. Outside temp is mild. You can't have that much dust to block the vents after less than a month. They just gave me a shody replacement.

For some reason their website can't find my Serial Number. I will have to call them. I'm going to wait till I calm down before calling. Very angry at the moment. See I'm still without a job. My previous PS3 broke during that big hacking story (did Sony ever make it up to people for the outage?) I wasn't using my PS3 for a couple of months. Someone who broke a different electronic gadget of mine offered to cover the cost of fixing my PS3 instead. After waiting to get the unit back I then had contact Sony to get permission to get some special downloaded content back. It took them an additional 10 days to do that. Now it is dying again.

When I made the previous request I had the option of getting my 60 model repaired/replaced for $129 or get a new 120 model for $99. I went with the $129 option. As I still had plenty of PS2 games and wanted exactly what I had before. Are all of these 60 models absolute crap now? Guess I might have to go with the slim model. Can I get the cash difference back? Do I have to wait another 10 days for them to allow me to re-download content? Do I have to wait for all this shipping an handling time again? Why? Why? Why? Do I have to put up with this again for the 3rd time?

Probably with getting a replacement old model is that they aren't actually making parts for them anymore. Likely, all they did was piece together what they figured was a working model out of non-working parts. As far as 60 gigs go, mine ::Knock on wood:: is still going strong, and I'm not sure if replacing the HDD has anything to do with that (upgraded it to a 500GB 2 years ago). Given the time frame, I'd go at them until they give you a 100% free slim model this time. And yeah, expect to lose your DLC again for the turnaround period, not sure if anyone has had luck getting that taken care of faster. Though if you can get that system booted up for a few minutes, see if you can de-activate your video & game content on it before you ship it back (in account settings), that may help.

I feel your pain. I'm on my 3rd ps3 as well.

First one stopped reading disks just after the 1 year warranty as up. Luckily I had bought an extended from the store so I was able to use that. Took them 2 months and according to their policy I was supposed to get a brand new one since they didn't fix it within 60 days. I was given the runaround and had to send a pretty nasty email to their head office. They ended up giving me a new one. I was still without a ps3 for 2 months.

Second one lasted about as long as the first, just passed 1 year so it was again out of warranty. Same problem too, disk drive stopped working. This time I had a friend who worked at eb accept it for trade and I just put the money towards a slim.

I'm on the 3rd one now and like you, unemployed. I have no intention of buying another console if this thing breaks down but I'm afraid it might go at any time. I like the games sony has been putting out, but their hardware leaves much to be desired. And supposedly the 360 was even worse at launch. There should be some sort of consumer protection for when companies make such obviously flawed hardware.

Called them.

I guess they did do something special for those who couldn't use the PSN during that outage. It was the welcome back month. I missed out on that cause my system died during that time. It was working during the first week of the hack.

Since it is still under warranty they'll fix it and another 90 warranty period will start up again. How about a sorry we make shitty hardware here's some of your previous money back or well give you a 1 year warranty this time. Usually these things last through the warranty period. My third PS3 is only 3 weeks old. A repaired or refurbished system should last longer than 3 weeks. They should be ashamed and embarrassed.

Once I get my 4th PS3 I'll have to call them and wait 10 days for special permission to re-download connect. Now I'll have to delete and detactive the system while I still have some power left. I nearly completed a few games too.

Called them.

I guess they did do something special for those who couldn't use the PSN during that outage. It was the welcome back month. I missed out on that cause my system died during that time. It was working during the first week of the hack.

Since it is still under warranty they'll fix it and another 90 warranty period will start up again. How about a sorry we make shitty hardware here's some of your previous money back or well give you a 1 year warranty this time. Usually these things last through the warranty period. My third PS3 is only 3 weeks old. A repaired or refurbished system should last longer than 3 weeks. They should be ashamed and embarrassed.

Once I get my 4th PS3 I'll have to call them and wait 10 days for special permission to re-download connect. Now I'll have to delete and detactive the system while I still have some power left. I nearly completed a few games too.

See if they'll give you a free playstation plus membership, that'll let you upload your save files so you won't lose them.

I've got a question: Let's say I want to upgrade to a larger HDD; can I copy my save files to a USB thumbdrive and paste them to the new HDD?

Speaking of which, what are the basic steps I need to follow when upgrading to a new/larger HDD?

Some saves... Some games like capcom saves don't let you back up like that.

Safest way to do this is to delete your demos you don't care for and files from the GAME DATA UTILITY folder of games you no longer play. Obiviously, don't delete stuff from the SAVE DATA UTILITY. This is all just to spare you some extra time and space.

Back up your stuff...

Go to settings/ system settings/ backup utility/ back up

Use an external like a passport drive that's formatted in FAT32 and make sure you got enough space.

Depending on what you have this can take a few hours.

After it's done, unplug everything and take the drive out.

Replace with new drive. Check out

It will ask to reformat and let it do it's thing.

You can go back to system settings/backup utility and do a RESTORE.

Everything should be as it was (profiles, saves, trophys, data installs.. etc) with more HD space.

Edited by Negotiator

Some saves... Some games like capcom saves don't let you back up like that.

Actually, now even copy protected saves will transfer over to a hdd swap if you choose the backup and restore option. That will allow copy protected saves to transfer over. Most people don't realize this.

Actually, now even copy protected saves will transfer over to a hdd swap if you choose the backup and restore option. That will allow copy protected saves to transfer over. Most people don't realize this.

Always did, the question was if it would work trying to copy it regularly to a thumb drive, which it won't.

Might as well bring this up here. Gundam Extreme Vs comes out in December in Japan as a PS3 exclusive. No word yet on whether it'll have online multiplayer, but can't imagine it won't.

Tempting, but I haven't really cared for the Gundam Vs. series as much since Gundam Battle Tactics. The Gundam Battle series just feels better, at this point.

Tempting, but I haven't really cared for the Gundam Vs. series as much since Gundam Battle Tactics. The Gundam Battle series just feels better, at this point.

I agree, but something other than Dynasty Warriors or the clunkier giant mecha gundam shooters is quite welcome.

I agree, but something other than Dynasty Warriors or the clunkier giant mecha gundam shooters is quite welcome.

I guess. I mean, if it would get a domestic release, I'd probably buy it without a second thought. I just don't see myself liking it enough to pay out my rear for an import.

Got the playstaion wireless 7.1 headphones. Super easy to setup and use. Sound quality is good though low end is a little on the weak side.

I was considering those, until I heard they don't do HD audio for movies. If they ever fix that, I may pick up a pair.

I'm tempted to buy Deus Ex - Human Revolution. Thing is, I've never played any previous Deus Ex games before.

Would I be lost in the plot if I just went ahead and played Deus Ex - HR?

Also, what is this game supposed to be? IGN calls it a FPS, while a review I read in a local newspaper said it was a RPG[???]

NOTE: I posted an identical post on another thread. Not sure while one I should post this one. A thousand apologies, mods.

Edited by GU-11