The PS3 thread

Gaijin

Well, that's actually different. It's a hardware revision, and features added or removed during a hardware revision should be a known quantity before you make your purchase.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Still, there may be some grandparents or silly people out there who didn't notice, and bought kids PSPgos with UMDs for Christmas or whatever.

Jeeesus. And this one apparently occured before the PSN fiasco.

I wonder if my DOB was 1900. :p

I usually lie on my info as well. Can't be too careful with your personal info.

Like I said...

I think a better analogy would be if a car manufacturer reflashed you vehicles ECU remotely and removed ABS/horsepower/torque/etc. One day it probably will happen for electronic limitations on speed I'd wager.

It seems like no one really cares or has empathy/sympathy about the removal of other OS because they didn't use it personally. If it had been something that personally effected them they'd obviously be outraged but no argument you could muster will change their minds until then.

Like I said, if your main reason for purchasing a PS3 was to run linux (which ran on a gimped version of the hardware to begin with), then you should have bought a computer to begin with. Otherwise, get the f^ck over it.

Which PS3's had Other OS advertised on the box? I only recall it in the manual and never on the boxes. I should go look at my old boxes. I won't debate on the issue, but where was it "advertised" on the boxes? I'm just curious.

Edit: I can't find it on either a 60GB or 20GB original box...did the later ones advertise it somewhere? I can't even find it mentioned in the manual/guides though I swore I read it there when I bought it...maybe it was the online guide I recall.

Yeah I will admit to your argument, I can't find the box at all. I only have the boxes to my 120GB PS3 and my 160GB PS3..... I don't know where the box is to my 60GB PS3.

At my age I could be mixing up where I saw the information. It was must have been common Knowledge back then on the original consoles(2006) , I'm pretty sure it was somewhere major though.

How about some good news?

My PS3 has the flashing red light of death. I gotta send it away for repairs. This will be the second time. Couple years ago it wouldn't stay on more than a minute. For $125 or $175 I mailed it to them and they gave me a replacement unit. I went through the hassle of downloading content I purchased. Some content was linked to my old PS3. It thinking I was trying to illegally copy stuff on a second machine. Had to call everyone up for them to over ride things. I gotta do this whole thing again. Last time I was able to delete any data I had on the machine. This time can't. Should I mention that I've been laid off and I don't think it would be a smart idea to spend the cash on the PS3 right now. I won't be playing any games till I'm working again. My computer has a Blu-ray player so I can watch movies. My PS3 was also my back up computer if my computer breaks down next I'll be even more screwed.

My PS3 has the flashing red light of death. I gotta send it away for repairs. This will be the second time. Couple years ago it wouldn't stay on more than a minute. For $125 or $175 I mailed it to them and they gave me a replacement unit. I went through the hassle of downloading content I purchased. Some content was linked to my old PS3. It thinking I was trying to illegally copy stuff on a second machine. Had to call everyone up for them to over ride things. I gotta do this whole thing again. Last time I was able to delete any data I had on the machine. This time can't. Should I mention that I've been laid off and I don't think it would be a smart idea to spend the cash on the PS3 right now. I won't be playing any games till I'm working again. My computer has a Blu-ray player so I can watch movies. My PS3 was also my back up computer if my computer breaks down next I'll be even more screwed.

Sucks to hear about that :( Good luck with both the PS3 and getting back to work as well! On another note, I did not know the PS3 got a red light of death. Some of friends with older model PS3s (original 80G motor storm packages) got a yellow light which caused their PS3s to stop functioning. Fas as I can tell, Sony gave both of them new slim models free of charge :o

I don't know for sure about any of this though...

I had this happen twice also on a 60GB fat model. If you really want to delete the data hook it up to your PC and delete the partition and write zeros to the drive.

I had this happen twice also on a 60GB fat model. If you really want to delete the data hook it up to your PC and delete the partition and write zeros to the drive.

Or just pop out the drive. If you have a friend with a PS3, you can pop it in theirs, and it'll automatically format it, since the systems put an id tag on each drive. PC thing would probably be faster though.

So far, the only problem I had with a PS3 was probably damage from improper packaging. My brother gave me his after returning from abroad. The first time I turned it on, a plume of dust blew from the side of the system and worked for a couple of days. Then I got a yellow light error every time I turned it on and had to send it to Sony for repairs. But that was totally my brother's fault, especially since he got it second hand and was living in a desert area at the time. It might be a 60 GB because I was able to play my copy of Final Fantasy VII on it.

So far, the only problem I had with a PS3 was probably damage from improper packaging. My brother gave me his after returning from abroad. The first time I turned it on, a plume of dust blew from the side of the system and worked for a couple of days. Then I got a yellow light error every time I turned it on and had to send it to Sony for repairs. But that was totally my brother's fault, especially since he got it second hand and was living in a desert area at the time.

I noticed that the PS3's vents easily become clogged with dust, so I bought a cheap anti-static dust cover for mine for when it's not in use. And about once a year, I use a hand vacuum (set to medium power) to suck out any dust that may have snuck in. Mine's a 60gb unit and I haven't had any problems with it yet.

It might be a 60 GB because I was able to play my copy of Final Fantasy VII on it.

All PS3's can play PS1 games. It's PS2 games that only the 20gb, 60gb, and 80gb units can play.

edit: According to the latest news, Sony has begun playing the blame game, and Anonymous is the scapegoat! Sony's excuse is that while they were busy defending themselves from Anonymous' DOS attack, someone broke into the PSN. But the Anonymous DOS attack ended on April 4, 2011, and according to Sony's own blog, the actual intrusion occurred between April 17 and April 19, 2011. Got any other lame excuses Sony?

What Sony doesn't want customers to know is that the PSN was hacked because it was running outdated Apache and Linux server software with publically known vulnerabilities. Hackers noticed these vulnerabilties back in February 2011 and wondered why Sony hadn't applied any of the available security patches. The rest is history.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

Speaking of all this hacking business, did anyone else hear about rumors that Sony will be reimbursing players with something or another store related due to the issues with psn being down and what - not. Its a fair call that a lot of people lost a lot of game time due to these issues. Thankfully (or not), I have been cramming for AP testing to take any notice of the hubbub with playstation store. I wouldn't mind getting a couple extra bucks for psn store use :)

Speaking of all this hacking business, did anyone else hear about rumors that Sony will be reimbursing players with something or another store related due to the issues with psn being down and what - not. Its a fair call that a lot of people lost a lot of game time due to these issues. Thankfully (or not), I have been cramming for AP testing to take any notice of the hubbub with playstation store. I wouldn't mind getting a couple extra bucks for psn store use :)

They're starting by giving you PS Plus for a month as well as a bunch of other content free that has not been announced yet. Who knows what it'll be. Better than Undertow at least. Take that for what it's worth.

And to everyone upset about this whole data breach...you'd be quite upset if you knew about the companies who never admitted it to the public media, and took months or years to even find a data breach. It's happened way more often than you think it would. This is a fact of online today. To be honest, I'm surprised at how fast (though it seems like a long time) they came forward and warned consumers. Be angry at Sony? Go ahead.

But you'd be quite naive to think your info hasn't been compromised elsewhere too. This needs to be a wake up call to all companies, because believe me, your data isn't as secure as you think.

According to my girlfriend which I'm throwing this with a grain of salt, a classmate of hers has been bragging how he helped Annon with the hacking of the PSN and was discussing how simple it was to do it.

she smacked him over the head either way and told him thanks to him and his efforts I had to change my bank account around which hurts her as well.

Checked a couple more boxes. Other OS was never was advertised on the boxes at least not on the US packaging I've looked at.

Loop, do you still have that box that mentioned it?

Nah man, I admitted a few post's back that I was probably mistaken because I only have the boxes to my 120GB and 160GB models.

I cannot find the box or my wife may have discarded the box for my 60GB model. This may be the source of my memory though http://manuals.plays.../osinstall.html

Just got it mixed up I guess.

Edited by Loop

I noticed that the PS3's vents easily become clogged with dust, so I bought a cheap anti-static dust cover for mine for when it's not in use. And about once a year, I use a hand vacuum (set to medium power) to suck out any dust that may have snuck in. Mine's a 60gb unit and I haven't had any problems with it yet.

All PS3's can play PS1 games. It's PS2 games that only the 20gb, 60gb, and 80gb units can play.

edit: According to the latest news, Sony has begun playing the blame game, and Anonymous is the scapegoat! Sony's excuse is that while they were busy defending themselves from Anonymous' DOS attack, someone broke into the PSN. But the Anonymous DOS attack ended on April 4, 2011, and according to Sony's own blog, the actual intrusion occurred between April 17 and April 19, 2011. Got any other lame excuses Sony?

What Sony doesn't want customers to know is that the PSN was hacked because it was running outdated Apache and Linux server software with publically known vulnerabilities. Hackers noticed these vulnerabilties back in February 2011 and wondered why Sony hadn't applied any of the available security patches. The rest is history.

Here is the original snippet to help clarify their (Sony's) response to the U.S. House of Representatives:

"In summary, we told the subcommittee that in dealing with this cyber attack we followed four key principles:

1. Act with care and caution.

2. Provide relevant information to the public when it has been verified.

3. Take responsibility for our obligations to our customers.

4. Work with law enforcement authorities.

We also informed the subcommittee of the following:

• Sony has been the victim of a very carefully planned, very professional, highly sophisticated criminal cyber attack.
  • We discovered that the intruders had planted a file on one of our Sony Online Entertainment servers named "Anonymous" with the words "We are Legion."
  • By April 25, forensic teams were able to confirm the scope of the personal data they believed had been taken, and could not rule out whether credit card information had been accessed. On April 26, we notified customers of those facts.
  • As of today, the major credit card companies have not reported any fraudulent transactions that they believe are the direct result of this cyber attack.
  • Protecting individuals' personal data is the highest priority and ensuring that the Internet can be made secure for commerce is also essential. Worldwide, countries and businesses will have to come together to ensure the safety of commerce over the Internet and find ways to combat cyber crime and cyber terrorism.
  • We are taking a number of steps to prevent future breaches, including enhanced levels of data protection and encryption; enhanced ability to detect software intrusions, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns; additional firewalls; establishment of a new data center in an undisclosed location with increased security; and the naming of a new Chief Information Security Officer.
  • We told the subcommittee about our intent to offer complimentary identity theft protection to U.S. account holders and detailed the "Welcome Back" program that includes free downloads, 30 days of free membership in the
  • PlayStation Plus premium subscription service; 30 days of free service for Music Unlimited subscribers; and extending PlayStation Plus and Music Unlimited subscriptions for the number of days services were unavailable.

We are working around the clock to have some PlayStation Network services restored and we'll be providing specific details shortly. We hope this update is helpful to you, and we will continue to keep you posted as we work to restore our network and provide you with both the entertainment and the security you deserve."

This is really getting to be a drama fest though LOL. I am thinking there could be two possible angles to this IF the two files "Anonymous" "We are Legion" did actually get planted.

One scenario could be that another (not anonymous) hacker did hack and steal the customer data that was on the servers and planted the files to try and draw attention to Anonymous.

Now let's say Anonymous was responsible. What if they accessed the areas which contained customer information and left thier tags "Anonymous" "We are Legion".

These very files would cause allot of suspicion. Sony would not know what was taken, but would know someone hacked in. This would cause all hell to break loose.

What if the hacker actually only left the tags and didn't actually take the data. So they could watch the hell break loose and cause the network to go down because Sony would have to analyze the network ,investigate then rebuild the network.

Sony has said "As of today, the major credit card companies have not reported any fraudulent transactions that they believe are the direct result of this cyber attack." That would be a major kick to Sony's balls LOL.

This whole affair has been rather embarrassing to Sony. I could see Anonymous accessing the areas of the servers to make them believe there was a major breach to create this kind of fallout and embarrass the hell out of Sony. The only part I find strange is that they did not publish any information on it like they did with HB Gary.

Edited by Loop

I'm surprised to hear that Anonymous has been implicated. First, because Sony cleared Anonymous of any wrongdoing just a few days ago. Second, even if this "We are Legion" calling card was discovered afterwards, Anonymous' hacking skills are weak, their only effective weapon is a DDOS attack. They got through to HBGary because HBGary had awful internal security, ironic for a commercial cyber-security company. Third, this calling card doesn't jive with Anonymous' MO. They're attention whores and if they successfully broke into the PSN, I would've expected them to shout about it from every mountaintop. Did Anonymous suddenly mature overnight and exercise some self-restraint?

It could easily be someone else to put the blame on anon but anon was stupid in the first place to brag about their first attempt. They should/ could help try to find the person that caused this mess before FBI comes a knocking.

Here's what I think would happen if someone tried to hack XBox Live:

*Door knocking.*

Hacker: "Yes?"

*Door bursts open.*

Microsoft lawyer: "I hope you're ready for you neutering." :angry:

--------------------

I haven't touched the PS3 while this crisis has been going on.

The weakness of being a loosely organized group of people that value anonymity is that they actively make enemies far too often and have accountability issues.

Report: Hackers Say Anonymous Likely Behind Sony Attacks

They should have chosen a better way to hurt Sony, and only Sony, or have more self restraint if this is true.

Edited by Einherjar

I say it was more like convenient timing... but man, while I do support the idea of being able to do whatever you want (as long as it's not harming anyone) on whatever it is you paid for, he does seem to come across as a jerk...

A question,

I just got Killzone 3 - not being familiar with it's setup, when I start it, it just hangs at the Select Language screen (I can't select any language and press X to go on - although the PS3 hasn't hung as I can quit out of the game properly). Is it trying to access the PSN waiting for some authorization or something? Naturally I can't sign onto PSN at the moment (due to the service outage). Or is this unrelated to the PSN outage and is indicative of something wrong with my PS3?

A question,

I just got Killzone 3 - not being familiar with it's setup, when I start it, it just hangs at the Select Language screen (I can't select any language and press X to go on - although the PS3 hasn't hung as I can quit out of the game properly). Is it trying to access the PSN waiting for some authorization or something? Naturally I can't sign onto PSN at the moment (due to the service outage). Or is this unrelated to the PSN outage and is indicative of something wrong with my PS3?

Could be something wrong with the disc most likely.

Googling killzone and freezing brings up numerous reports. I think the program itself is poorly written or something---many issues with the game not working right. It's not the disc, it's not the PS3.

That's odd, I have not experienced this with this title across 3 PS3's. He may want to try deleting the game data if there is any and try it again. I don't mean save games btw.

Talked to my Sony rep today. She told me they are aiming for no later than May 31st for full online access and possible game only, multiplayer access within the next couple of days.

Unfortunately there's still no definite word on the sorry gift they are aiming for. She said that strong rumor is 1-3 months of Playstation Plus access which is crap.

Not to mention the SOE part of things is still in the dark too.