The PS3 thread

Gaijin

I got Black Ops on Tuesday. Enjoying both the single and multiplayer modes B))

from what I've read online, the selection of sniper rifles looks like absolute shit. reason enough for me to pass this crap up. :angry:

Edited by anime52k8

from what I've read online, the selection of sniper rifles looks like absolute shit. reason enough for me to pass this crap up. :angry:

yeah theres like..4 maybe 5 sniper rifles to choose from :\ and the zombie mode is crap,ruined with a lame voice over that spews bad jokes and puns.

I don't use sniper rifles so for me this isn't an issue but I have seen a lot of complaints about this...

Also:

GT5 to be released in the PAL region on 24th November 2010

I'm taking this news with a pinch of salt, will let you know in a couple of weeks if this is reality :mellow:

Edited by Valkyrie Nut

I've got a question about the PS3's adoption of stereoscopic 3D and some upcoming games.

See, I've been salivating over the idea of Metal Gear Rising ever since it was announced. What I've heard recently is that it's going to be 3D, and that a firmware update on any existing PS3 console can give it 3D capabilities. Honestly, I don't give a rat's ass about 3D, and am not about to go buy a 3D TV just for one game. Hell, my current LCD TV is barely 2 years old!

What I would love know is, if you can still play 3D capable games on a non-3D TV and console. I've scoured the Net for info, but nada.

BTW, how long and/or replayable is MoD: Black Ops' campaign mode? I'm a stickler for replay value, and am not much of an online multiplayer fan.

Anyone here played MOH Tier 1 yet? I remember being excited when I heard rumours a year ago of this game being an ultra realistic spec ops sim, like actually having to sit in OP for like 12 hours in real time waiting for a target or reporting intel. From what I`ve read its just another kill fest like COD tho. For me Operation Flashpoint is the best FPS available on a console, with actual moderately realistic team tactics and firefights. Try 2 player airfield infiltration with restricted spawn, hardcore diffilculty online and it is spectacular.

I've got a question about the PS3's adoption of stereoscopic 3D and some upcoming games.

See, I've been salivating over the idea of Metal Gear Rising ever since it was announced. What I've heard recently is that it's going to be 3D, and that a firmware update on any existing PS3 console can give it 3D capabilities. Honestly, I don't give a rat's ass about 3D, and am not about to go buy a 3D TV just for one game. Hell, my current LCD TV is barely 2 years old!

What I would love know is, if you can still play 3D capable games on a non-3D TV and console. I've scoured the Net for info, but nada.

BTW, how long and/or replayable is MoD: Black Ops' campaign mode? I'm a stickler for replay value, and am not much of an online multiplayer fan.

You can play a 3D capable game on a 2D tv.

COD Black Ops campaign is about normal for FPS's nowadays. 5-6 hours or so. Story is good. I just don't like the fact that there are weapons from the future in the Vietnam era. "Prototypes" the fans say. Umm...yeah sure. It's like having a working iPhone back in 1993.

Aside from that, there is the Zombie modes. The Dead Ops arcade is fun. It's like Smash TV.

Anyone here played MOH Tier 1 yet? I remember being excited when I heard rumours a year ago of this game being an ultra realistic spec ops sim, like actually having to sit in OP for like 12 hours in real time waiting for a target or reporting intel. From what I`ve read its just another kill fest like COD tho. For me Operation Flashpoint is the best FPS available on a console, with actual moderately realistic team tactics and firefights. Try 2 player airfield infiltration with restricted spawn, hardcore diffilculty online and it is spectacular.

From what I've been told, MoH Tier 1 is more of a tactical shooter compared to the latest CoD iterations. And speaking of CoD...

You can play a 3D capable game on a 2D tv.

COD Black Ops campaign is about normal for FPS's nowadays. 5-6 hours or so. Story is good. I just don't like the fact that there are weapons from the future in the Vietnam era. "Prototypes" the fans say. Umm...yeah sure. It's like having a working iPhone back in 1993.

Aside from that, there is the Zombie modes. The Dead Ops arcade is fun. It's like Smash TV.

CoD Black Ops actually has 3D TV support. I can't imagine them making 3D-TV-only games when the large majority seem to still be using 2D-TVs...especially in this economy.

By the way, which weapons do you speak of, Gaijin?

From what I've been told, MoH Tier 1 is more of a tactical shooter compared to the latest CoD iterations. And speaking of CoD...

CoD Black Ops actually has 3D TV support. I can't imagine them making 3D-TV-only games when the large majority seem to still be using 2D-TVs...especially in this economy.

By the way, which weapons do you speak of, Gaijin?

The G11. The MP5 K. The AUG. The L96. The ASP pistol(they had model 39's and MK22's back then but not the custom ASP with clear grips!). Prob more that I can't think of. And in the multiplayer, I wonder how they are using red dots. Hell, apparently ACOG is now any optical sight.

And..Picatinny rails!!!

Edited by Gaijin

Thanks for the info, people!

Glad to know I can still play MGS Rising or any other 3D-capable game with my current equipment.

Will probably be picking up COD Black Ops. If it's as good as Black from the PS2, it'll be worth the cash. Believe it or not, I still occasionally play that game (Black) on my PS2, and its STILL kickass! I can't even count the many times I've replayed through the years.

So, I bought Black Ops, and liked it except for one little aspect of the game: the snipers are useless.

I always like to snipe on any fps games, and was a big fan of sniping in MW2, but in black ops, it doesn't really matter

that you have a sniper, as the other guy across the map with an M16 or FAMAS will still get you first. Well, its still a decent

game. On a side note, just picked up Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. Can't wait to get playing!

Just got to the part where you are in the SR-71. Umm...that's some pretty high tech surveillance gear they have in the 60's. :o

I suspect that Black Ops is rife with those kinds of errors. Like the first Vietnam mission, "S.O.G.", for example, opens with the song "Fortunate Son" playing on the radio. They're pretty clear on the fact that the mission (the majority of the game, actually) takes place early in 1968, but "Fortunate Son" wasn't released until fall of '69.

In any case, I thought the game was mostly so-so. I give Treyarch credit for trying something different and setting the game during the Cold War instead of WWII or the present. Still, I think the franchise has definitely worn a little thin by now. In fact, Call of Duty reminds me of Shymalan's movies. The first couple of Shymalan movies were cool because of the twist, but then you started to see them coming. Likewise, it was the "holy crap!" moments of Call of Duty that made the franchise... the huge battles, tanks busting through a fence, etc. But again, I think that maybe after getting killed by the nuke in Modern Warfare, the scripted wow moments sort of lost their impact. The result was a game that was moderately entertaining, but one that was less appealing to me than replaying Crysis now that I have hardware that can actually run it on the highest settings.

Got Black Ops last Friday and have been playing multiplayer mostly. I'd have to say that the maps are pretty big but not very sniper friendly. So far I've found a couple of positions but nothing to scream about. Still the game is allot of fun and the new upgrade by creds makes it interesting when selecting the weapons you are going to use.

Right now I'm alternating between the AK47U w/ grip & suppressor, the M60 with grip and red dot, and the FAMAS with red dot and extra mags.

The campaign is fun up to now, in Vietnam again, probably close to the stage where I can pilot the HIND...really looking forward to that.

Still, there hasn't been a wow level for me as when in MW2 you could replay Wolverines! over and over again.

Anyone want to team up zorprimus is my PSN id, add me for frags sake! ;)

Edited by Zor Primus

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, is it that intense? Looks like I'll need to save up for the Logitech G27.

Well it's harder to do smooth transitions when doing hairpin turns with a thumbstick and buttons don't give you the feel for how much gas you're pressing. I can skip this test since I already silvered it but I want gold and it's only .07 secs away!

Well it's harder to do smooth transitions when doing hairpin turns with a thumbstick and buttons don't give you the feel for how much gas you're pressing. I can skip this test since I already silvered it but I want gold and it's only .07 secs away!

In that case, it's just a matter of more practice if .07 secs. is the only thing keeping you away from unlocking that next car.

I bought a Logitech G25 and a racing chair that I could even mount the shifter to when GT Prologue came out. I was thinking of selling it because of space and I hardly ever used it. But here comes GT5.

Decisions.

Damn, is it that intense? Looks like I'll need to save up for the Logitech G27.

I bought myself the Driving Force GT. Pretty nice wheel! I do really prefer the G27's pedals and H-shifter, though. Wish Logitech would make a PS3 optimized G27 because I love having all the face buttons, PS button, etc on the DFGT...

I started building myself a cockpit, too. :D

Man, I used to love playing GT3 and GT4 on my PS2. I almost went out and bought a PS3 back in 2007 based solely on the expectation of GT5. Then I learned to drive a real car, and I lost all desire to ever play another racing game again. :p

• 2 weeks later...

MW on PSN

bandit29: bandit29

brouken: shinbrouken

CheeseKing: CheeseKing

Chowser: sarge051

DARKWIND: BLAKWULF01

David Hingtgen: Alpha_Weltall

dizman: dizman89

DrunkenMaster2: macross08

Duke Togo: Glavil

eugimon: eugimon

Gaijin: trav54

kanedaestes: kanedaestes

Keith: KeithL78

Lott Sheen: Million__Star

mikeszekely: mikeszekely

Roy Focker: Kamjin

shiroikaze: Shiroi_Kaze

the_foul_fowl: the_foul_fowl

the white drew carey: dewhitedrewcarey

Uxi: Uxi

Valkyrie Nut: Bappers

Vince: bbe23

Vostok 7: Vostok7

Wanzerfan: AnubisAsh

tom64ss: rigiddigit

Remember the old days when you just put in a cartridge, pressed the power button, and you were on your way?

yep, and i'm still there;

VIDEOGAMECARTRIDGECOMPARISON.jpg

DSC_0620.jpg

DSC_0617.jpg

LadyShaowithNEOAES.jpg

DSC_0608.jpg

MS-UsagiVGColle6-7-10.jpg

DSC_0801.jpg

DSC_0742.jpg

i have most of the popular and historical VG consoles from the last 25 years, starting with the

NINTENDO NES, my very first ever VG console, the SEGA GENESIS, bought by my parents during it's

initial launch back in X-mas of 1989, and up to the NINTENDO Wii.

i plan on a PS3 soon, if nothing else, then for the game i already picked up for it,

that looked so cute to me that i couldn't resist;

wp_sp01_1920.jpg

270664_LELG.jpg

Edited by Shaorin