The PS3 thread

Gaijin

I haven't noticed a difference. But then again, I've always been worried about the fan and other noises my PS3 makes while I use it for a long time. It doesn't help that I got the 60 GB backwards compatible system. I also had the same issues with the PS2.

Yeah, I've got the same one. But I've never had the fan running this hot before. It stands alone on a well-ventilated shelf, so there aren't any other heat sources giving it problems. Hmm...

I've been reading horror stories on the PSN forums about 3.15 and later updates causing the BD drive to run over spec and burn out its board due to sony speeding it up to increase load times, but at this point, I figure the more paces I put my system through, the better. If it's going to go out for some random reason, I'd rather find out sooner than later.

As for the fan in general, mine seems to go load whenever I try to play Valkyria Chronicles for some reason.

Anyone else having problems withe the 3.30 update? Ever since I updated, the fan is running on high constantly, even when I have no disc in and am just sitting on the XMB.

It's really kind of abnoxious.

If you're on a fat PS3 and out of warranty, I'd start planning on opening it up, since IMO that's the first sign of approaching YLOD. While it's got a great giant beefy heat sink, there are places where dust accumulates and there's simply no way to clear it out w/o opening it. The only flaw in an otherwise marvelous design...

I also noticed that my PS3 was a dust magnet, so I got an anti-static dust cover for it. I rarely buy dust covers for anything, but considering I paid $400 for my 60gb PS3, a $10 dust cover seemed like a wise investment.

Before I put the dust cover on for the first time, I used the hose from my vacuum cleaner to suck all the dust out of the vents. Worked like a charm and it didn't damage the system. Just as a caveat, depending on the strength of your vacuum, YMMV.

I also make sure the PS3 is completely turned off and not just in standby when using the dust cover. I'd imagine the PS3 generates a small amount of heat during standby, so I don't want to risk trapping that heat with the dust cover.

Loving Final Fight and Afterburner Climax! Just need a good arcade stick or two, any recommendations?

Any stick with Sanwa parts will do you well.

Mad Catz TE ones, Hori RAP3 SA or RAP with button upgrades

If you can find one, my personal fave the Sega Virtua Stick HG. Best stick ever.

Edited by Gaijin

MW on PSN

bandit29: bandit29

brouken: shinbrouken

Chowser: sarge051

DARKWIND: BLAKWULF01

David Hingtgen: Alpha_Weltall

dizman: dizman89

DrunkenMaster2: macross08

Duke Togo: Glavil

eugimon: eugimon

Gaijin: trav54

kanedaestes: kanedaestes

Keith: KeithL78

mikeszekely: mikeszekely

Roy Focker: Kamjin

shiroikaze: Shiroi_Kaze

the_foul_fowl: the_foul_fowl

the white drew carey: dewhitedrewcarey

Uxi: Uxi

Valkyrie Nut: Bappers

Vince: bbe23

Vostok 7: Vostok7

Wanzerfan: AnubisAsh

I'm on PSN! CheeseKing = CheeseKing

Spending most my time playin Bad Company 2 if not doin home work or studying. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody pick up 3D Dot Game Heroes? It's slightly surprising to see a game with so many 8-bit NES homages not on the Wii, but the game is really good. It's the game that is the most like the original NES Zelda I've ever played (although I've ran across references from Dragon Quest, Mega Man, and Armored Core as well). Seriously, this game does things for me that even the Gameboy, GBA, and DS Zelda games haven't. If an old guy saying "It's dangerous to go alone, take this" and giving you a sword brings back fuzzy feelings of nostalgia, get this game.

Anybody pick up 3D Dot Game Heroes? It's slightly surprising to see a game with so many 8-bit NES homages not on the Wii, but the game is really good. It's the game that is the most like the original NES Zelda I've ever played (although I've ran across references from Dragon Quest, Mega Man, and Armored Core as well). Seriously, this game does things for me that even the Gameboy, GBA, and DS Zelda games haven't. If an old guy saying "It's dangerous to go alone, take this" and giving you a sword brings back fuzzy feelings of nostalgia, get this game.

Didn't realize that was out already, must check it out.

Didn't realize that was out already, must check it out.

I think it just came out this week. I went to the Target real close to my house yesterday, and they didn't have it. I didn't feel like dealing with Gamestop's douchebaggery (in the past few weeks, they've fired 5 store managers and two or three assistant sms in my area over really stupid stuff), so I went down the road to Best Buy and found it there.

Anyone else having problems withe the 3.30 update? Ever since I updated, the fan is running on high constantly, even when I have no disc in and am just sitting on the XMB.

It's really kind of abnoxious.

YES!

I've had issues with all of the recent 3.X updates, up to and including 3.30. Right now my "fat"80G is having a hell of a time playing any Blu-ray movies. Sometimes I'll get 20 minutes into a movie and the PS3 will just freeze, sometimes I can watch an entire flick, other times I can't even get to the menu. Even if I try to stop the movie the console will just freeze and I have to hit the power switch in the back to turn it off.

No issues to report with any games, but I'm only playing Super SF IV.

Had none of these issues prior to the firmware updates and a quick run of Google and the Sony PlayStation forums shows I'm not the only one. I hope there's a patch coming soon because the idea of a mandatory update frying my console really...well, would really piss me off.

-b.

See my disclaimer above on a fat starting to make noise. Break that sucker down and blow it out if you're not under warranty anymore. If you got an extended, just wait it out for it to die, cause that's the first symptom.

See my disclaimer above on a fat starting to make noise. Break that sucker down and blow it out if you're not under warranty anymore. If you got an extended, just wait it out for it to die, cause that's the first symptom.

That's the thing though...I NEVER had any problems with it until the later 3.X updates, none at all. I'm not ready to crack it open to try and save off a failure that I don't think was in the works prior to these firmware updates.

We'll see what happens, but from looking around I'm not the only one having spontaneous issues.

-b.

That's the thing though...I NEVER had any problems with it until the later 3.X updates, none at all. I'm not ready to crack it open to try and save off a failure that I don't think was in the works prior to these firmware updates.

We'll see what happens, but from looking around I'm not the only one having spontaneous issues.

-b.

Yeah, the same with me. I never had this problem until the moment I did the 3.30 update. This leads me to believe that it is not the age of the system, but the update itself.

Seems like just about every firmware update I've seen people post correlating that with their increase in fan noise. Check the various threads at blu-ray.com or AVSforum. It's possible they're changing stuff, but just as likely it's the accumulation of dust and it's a placebo effect on the firmware update.

Seems like just about every firmware update I've seen people post correlating that with their increase in fan noise. Check the various threads at blu-ray.com or AVSforum. It's possible they're changing stuff, but just as likely it's the accumulation of dust and it's a placebo effect on the firmware update.

...my PS3's cooling fan is not making noise, never said it was. I probably should have clarified that when I replied to TWDC's post. The only issue I've had is Blu-ray playability. I can't confirm if game play is affected, as I watch more movies then I do game.

And the problems I've seen reported on various Sony/Playstation related forums only game play and Blu-ray playback where mentioned, fan noise didn't factor much into those discussions.

My problem is def. firmware related, I don't think the Dust Bunnies mounted an attack just as I updated the software (j/k). :p

*edit to add - no sooner do I post my initial reply/finishing watching one Blu-ray, to put in Star Trek do I get the damn "This is an invalid disc. (80029906)" error message.

Guess it's about that time for me to brush up on my "angry consumer" writing skills.

-b.

Edited by Kanedas Bike

Ah my bad. If your BD drive is shot (far less frequent than YLOD), there is a DIY on blu-ray.com on how to replace your diode yourself. It's more expensive than the YLOD DIY fixes but you guarantee your own PS3. Probably simpler to do a backup and then just pay the $150, though

So, I am kind of torn right now. I have recently gotten real bored of modern warfare 2, and most of all my other

games are finished so I am planning on heading out to buy a new game.

I really want to get Battlefield Bad Company 2, but the new Transformers War for Cybertron looks really promising as well.

I only want to get one, so what do you guys think? Buy BBC2 right now, or wait it out for Transformers.

*sigh* decisions, decisions...... :ph34r:

-Archer

So, I am kind of torn right now. I have recently gotten real bored of modern warfare 2, and most of all my other

games are finished so I am planning on heading out to buy a new game.

I really want to get Battlefield Bad Company 2, but the new Transformers War for Cybertron looks really promising as well.

I only want to get one, so what do you guys think? Buy BBC2 right now, or wait it out for Transformers.

*sigh* decisions, decisions...... :ph34r:

-Archer

I really liked Battlefield Bad Company 2. I dare say it was better than Modern Warfare 2... it wasn't as overly dramatic or as dark, and the squad in Bad Company is both more memorable and more likable. But in some cases, it's just more of the same thing... and War for Cybertron is looking awfully good...

I thought Bad Company 2's story was terrible, the squad your with was the only thing that made it memorable at all. Online play is where BC2 shines, there are so many things to do and unlock youll be entertained for hours.

I thought Bad Company 2's story was terrible, the squad your with was the only thing that made it memorable at all. Online play is where BC2 shines, there are so many things to do and unlock youll be entertained for hours.

Oh, I never said that the story was good. It rarely is in shooters. What I am saying is that it's better than the ridiculousness that passed for story in Modern Warfare 2.

So Killzone 3 is confirmed, and from the tidbits revealed so far, it makes the ending of Killzone 2 sound less depressing. Though, still sucks to be Sev and Rico where they are now after what they did.

Anyone else hear the rumors that Killzone 3 is going to be in 3-D?

Just some rumors I heard flying around the Web.....

-Archer

Anyone else hear the rumors that Killzone 3 is going to be in 3-D?

Just some rumors I heard flying around the Web.....

-Archer

http://kotaku.com/5548801/killzone-3-hands+on-bigger-better--more-3d

'>

http://kotaku.com/5548801/killzone-3-hands+on-bigger-better--more-3d

finally got a PS3. my PSN tag is smiley424, same as here. I live on Guam, so I might be on at odd hours compared to you folks in the states (10-13 hour time difference West Coast - East Coast).

Eagerly anticipating War for Cybertron, playing some older PS3 gems right now (Assassins Creed 2, Demon Souls, Uncharted 2).