The PS3 thread

Gaijin

I don't know, I have a backwards compatible system and I don't really use the feature that much. Plus, I still have a PS1 & 2 in good working condition and definitely not going to the dumpster or game shop. I might save on my electric bill by just using the original systems.

I don't know, I have a backwards compatible system and I don't really use the feature that much. Plus, I still have a PS1 & 2 in good working condition and definitely not going to the dumpster or game shop. I might save on my electric bill by just using the original systems.

My PS2 can't play black/blue discs and is scratching them. I'll play backups or use the HD loader on the good ol' PS2, but I enjoy my PS1/PS2 games on my PS3 now.

Edited by shiroikaze

That's cool and all if you have those systems, but the point still stands that backwards compatibility in not in the Slim's repertoire, hence- it doesn't do everything.

:p

I'm just glad I got one of the last backwards compatible systems. Upon moving to France, it would've been a pain to lug my PS2 (which was pretty old and beat up anyway) along as well.

your avatar is beautiful drew carey.

I had a jp launch PS3, it had 4 usb ports, SACD, backwards compatible, I loved it. then I needed money and sold it. got a MGS4 gunmetal color limited edition a year later but its not the same. by the time I was ready to get a new PS3 the launch ones were going for 60,000 yen used. at least the MGS4 model is the original shape. the new slims look...cheap and nasty.

Or Linux. Or SACD.

I would still pay $599 for a PS3 that did everything it did at launch.

Well to be fair....If you get the new update (which is mandatory if you want to use any online play or access the PSN store ect) you can no longer run Linux or any other Operating system now. <_<

Well to be fair....If you get the new update (which is mandatory if you want to use any online play or access the PSN store ect) you can no longer run Linux or any other Operating system now. <_<

There's a DNS workaround. You set it to a third party that is poisoning/spoofing, or do it yourself. That's what I'm doing right now and get on PSN fine.

The intital HTTP query to fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/list/us/ps3-updatelist.txt is plaintext. I am using my own DNS server to point anything *.update.playstation.net to my local web server, which is telling it that the next version is 0.0000. Not authenticating through anyone else and no need to update. Just went onto the Store and Home. I just wish I had done this before they changed the logos and login chime and XBL style advertising (except without all the convenience of XBL). That (2.9 IIRC) was another worthless update I could have done without.

I know there are some people that do care, but I never had any plans or desire to install Linux on a game console. I know the principle bothers some people, but honestly most that grumble would have never used it anyways. I do agree that removing something AFTER you've had it is bogus, but again, 99.44 percent of people won't care.

I honestly think people wouldn't mind as much if they announced they did it to increase performance somehow. Like speeding up XMB load times while playing games or something of that nature.

So there I was, all psyched up to upgrade my PS3's hard drive (60 gig backwards compatible model), already aware of the screw stripping issues & what not. So I started reading up on various HDD's & installation techniques,, and get totally freaked out by horror stories of 3gb somethingerother rates being too fast, needing a 1.5 gig jumper, and something about disc based games skipping with some HDD's installed....

Any reccomendations?

I went to a 160 and then 320GB on my original 60 with no issues at all. You gain nothing by going to 7200rpm or faster, and hear anecdotes that larger caches help (but no concrete proof).

The whole YLOD thing and how much it increases the backup/restore time (with my 320GB it was something like 11 hours to get a full backup IIRC), I now believe using an external USB drive is the better way to go. Too bad Sony didn't put a USB port on the rear (like they had planned originally).

I haven't had any problems. I've upgraded my 60 gig twice, once to a 160 gb seagate 5200 rpm a couple years ago, and a 5200 rpm 500 gb WD one more recently. No problems.

Definately going for 5400 RPM, but did it matter whether it had a 3gb or 1.5gb somethingerother? I'm also assuming the WD is Western Digital?

Definately going for 5400 RPM, but did it matter whether it had a 3gb or 1.5gb somethingerother? I'm also assuming the WD is Western Digital?

Yeah, the WD is Western Digital.

3.0GB SATA 5400 rpm notebook (2.5 inch) will be fine. You choose the brand and capacity. I tend to stick with Seagate, Toshiba, and WD when it comes to HDD's. I have a Toshiba 500GB external USB that I used to backup my PS3 before I swapped it. Now when you back up, and restore to the same machine, EVERYTHING will copy over, including downloaded protected games and videos so no more re-downloading.

Edited by Gaijin

Ok, after wrestling with those infamous screws, calling sony about getting a replacement cage, getting the run around being told they no longer offer replacement cages, and then writing customer service and literally being told to use a pair of needlenose pliars on the screws to loosen them, I used a pair of needlenose pliars on the screws to loosen them! Protip: Don't even bother using a screw driver if you have an older model PS3, those HDD screws are machined in so tight, that the flimsy metal they're made of can't handle the stress of lossening.

Anyway... Popped the new HDD in last night, and damn, 500gig is awesome. The first thing I did was re-install the most useless thing ever, I mean Playstaiton Home. Why? Because I have the space to waste on it now!! Also ran a couple HDD tests, download speeds, running an older game that I heard could skip (Uncharted Drakes Fortune), and all seems well. Actually, I did get a minor scare turning it on this afternoon, with it not recognizing the HDD, but I promply shut it down, tapped the drive a bit to make sure it was secure (yes I already checked to make sure all the screws were in tight), and turned it back on, and all was fine.

Also for those thinking of upgrading, system software 3.21 seems to fix the need to re-install updated software like the guide says, starting it up with the new HDD still prompted a format, but 3.21 booted straight up, instead of reverting to the production version.

What perfect timing, Final Fights out, Afterburner is almost out, and I'm even tempted to check out the GTA bonus content.

Ok, after wrestling with those infamous screws, calling sony about getting a replacement cage, getting the run around being told they no longer offer replacement cages, and then writing customer service and literally being told to use a pair of needlenose pliars on the screws to loosen them, I used a pair of needlenose pliars on the screws to loosen them! Protip: Don't even bother using a screw driver if you have an older model PS3, those HDD screws are machined in so tight, that the flimsy metal they're made of can't handle the stress of lossening.

Anyway... Popped the new HDD in last night, and damn, 500gig is awesome. The first thing I did was re-install the most useless thing ever, I mean Playstaiton Home. Why? Because I have the space to waste on it now!! Also ran a couple HDD tests, download speeds, running an older game that I heard could skip (Uncharted Drakes Fortune), and all seems well. Actually, I did get a minor scare turning it on this afternoon, with it not recognizing the HDD, but I promply shut it down, tapped the drive a bit to make sure it was secure (yes I already checked to make sure all the screws were in tight), and turned it back on, and all was fine.

Also for those thinking of upgrading, system software 3.21 seems to fix the need to re-install updated software like the guide says, starting it up with the new HDD still prompted a format, but 3.21 booted straight up, instead of reverting to the production version.

What perfect timing, Final Fights out, Afterburner is almost out, and I'm even tempted to check out the GTA bonus content.

Congrats on your newfound space!

MW on PSN

bandit29: bandit29

brouken: shinbrouken

CheeseKing: CheeseKing

Chowser: sarge051

DARKWIND: BLAKWULF01

David Hingtgen: Alpha_Weltall

dizman: dizman89

DrunkenMaster2: macross08

Duke Togo: Glavil

eugimon: eugimon

Gaijin: trav54

kanedaestes: kanedaestes

Keith: KeithL78

Lott Sheen: Million__Star

mikeszekely: mikeszekely

MjrMisaHayase: SailorCallie

Roy Focker: Kamjin

shiroikaze: Shiroi_Kaze

the_foul_fowl: the_foul_fowl

the white drew carey: dewhitedrewcarey

Uxi: Uxi

Valkyrie Nut: Bappers

Vince: bbe23

Vostok 7: Vostok7

Wanzerfan: AnubisAsh

Edited by Duke Togo

I checked out the MLB.tv app for the PS3 last night. The video quality is not as good as when streamed over the computer and played on my TV, and is often blocky and breaks up during moments of fast movement. I use HDMI for both connections on the same TV.

I checked out the MLB.tv app for the PS3 last night. The video quality is not as good as when streamed over the computer and played on my TV, and is often blocky and breaks up during moments of fast movement. I use HDMI for both connections on the same TV.

Is your PS3 using a hardwired connection or Wi-Fi?

I'd try it with a wired connection. Wi-Fi on PS3 for video streaming has been iffy for me. Wired has been perfect.

Not possible in this situation, unfortunately. However, I have no problem using the laptop to watch the games. It's actually part of the reason why I got it, LOL.

Not possible in this situation, unfortunately. However, I have no problem using the laptop to watch the games. It's actually part of the reason why I got it, LOL.

I actually had the same problem...no wired because my living room had no ethernet closeby...but I used one of those powerline ethernet adapters that go through your electrical outlets and it works great! Try one if you want to drop the wi-fi for ps3...I even use it on my Bravia TV with the built in Netflix, You Tube, and Amazon video apps and can even stream HD without problems. I have an 11

Mbps connection and will consistently get 9-10Mbps out of that adapter.

Anyone else having problems withe the 3.30 update? Ever since I updated, the fan is running on high constantly, even when I have no disc in and am just sitting on the XMB.

It's really kind of abnoxious.

I haven't noticed a difference. But then again, I've always been worried about the fan and other noises my PS3 makes while I use it for a long time. It doesn't help that I got the 60 GB backwards compatible system. I also had the same issues with the PS2.