MacrossWorld Convention 2010???

So it's already April, and some people have been asking about if there's going to be a MacrossWorld Convention this year. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time or energy to dedicate this year to the con and I had already mentioned last year that it might have been my last in organizing it.

It's been a good 3 year run for me, but I'm officially handing over the reigns to anyone that wants to take on the job. I'd be happy to help consult and share all the contacts I've made in terms of getting sponsors and stuff, but someone needs to step up and take over if the con is going to happen this year. =] Otherwise, Mac Aus Con may be the only official MW Con which would be cool too.

The main thing a coordinator needs to do is find a location and date, and the rest is easy. Post here if you have any interest or questions or PM me.

Anyone out there interested in planning/coordinating the 10th anniversary of MacrossWorld Convention?

I'd gladly help, but it'd need to be a group effort. I don't have access to any locations, nor do I have the time. I can help with contacting guests and sponsors, even working on flyers, but that's about the extent.

i don't think it 100% has to be socal based, but that's where a lot of people that used to plan the con are located, including Shawn who used to attend every year. That sort of made it a legit thing, plus Mari is in LA so if we ever wanted her to attend, it would be easy to get her to come back again.

Just depends on the programming you want to happen at the con. We've been able to grow the attendance of the con each year fortunately so there's already a good base of attendees in socal. However, if you wanted to try another venue such as NorCal, or the midwest, i'd only worry about attendance, but maybe there's good Macross fan base enough in those areas.

So it's already April, and some people have been asking about if there's going to be a MacrossWorld Convention this year. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time or energy to dedicate this year to the con and I had already mentioned last year that it might have been my last in organizing it.

It's been a good 3 year run for me, but I'm officially handing over the reigns to anyone that wants to take on the job. I'd be happy to help consult and share all the contacts I've made in terms of getting sponsors and stuff, but someone needs to step up and take over if the con is going to happen this year. =] Otherwise, Mac Aus Con may be the only official MW Con which would be cool too.

The main thing a coordinator needs to do is find a location and date, and the rest is easy. Post here if you have any interest or questions or PM me.

Anyone out there interested in planning/coordinating the 10th anniversary of MacrossWorld Convention?

Mate we are flattered, though i can't imagine the official Macrossworld Conventions being solely in Australia, we are but 1 location on this earth,

although we are expanding to Tokyo this year for a meet.

You guys need to keep going, once a year like you have been! The amount of talent your conventions unearth each year demands it.

A dream would be for both cons to meet up in the furture! :)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I am so excited about the 10th anniversary convention this year in California. I am so excited that I am tempted to step up but my life is so insane with a regular job, freelance work, being a single father, and in a band, on top of hobby, it is just so much. Someone please take the help or else I may have to make a mess of it!

It takes alot of time and determination, but wow this is a FUN job. Kirik and co have set the bar extrememly high, so there is that element of pressure, but he has already said he will help bring everyone up to speed.

Go for it!!!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Well who ever takes on the task of setting up the con I'm here to help. I've already collected some stuff for the con and have made a few new contacts here in Tokyo that could lead to some cool things.

ruskiiVFaussie keep me updated on what's going on for Mac Con Australia. Unfortunately our "mutual friend" here isn't really communicating with me these days so I don't know what kind of plans you have for a Tokyo meet up.

Edited by Save

Hey man! hahah what? lol i think he's just too busy lately, we are trying to jam pack the whole week while i'm over there! :p

One thing for sure i'll be there for the Summerwonderfestival. And to be honest i think every Mac Aus Con should be done like that, after such a huge event.

For the MW con 10, we should figure out who is in, who is out, and whatnot. Bee, are you completely out? Once we get a loc, I think everything starts moving in a natural process. I'd like to help, and can do so to some extent, but I think instead of having one person do it, it should be a team. I'll commit myself to getting this done, but there needs to be others that commit, then get things going. I'm not the one for a loc, since I don't have those types of contacts, but I can help with contacting the vendors/sponsors, getting the flyer together, and if anyone is planning on shipping stuff, I can keep the stuff here. That's what I can contribute.

if the con is still local in So Cal, i'd be happy to help out. Finding the location and setting up the con is what took up a lot of my time as well as all the other things i did. here's a list of stuff i was responsible for in the past to give someone an idea of what is needed to host the con (at least for what i did the last 3 years):

-Find and book MW Con location (did this by using my own local connections to UCLA and the LBARC)

-Contact potential sponsors for donations to the con (sent cold emails to several places, but also had big help from Save and BigKid)

-Handle all pre-registration and onsite registration (set up MW Con email account, set up paypal pre reg fees, made badges for con attendees, etc)

-Schedule MW Con program events (organize schedule of events to fill up weekend)

-Facilitate program events during the con (Make sure events you plan actually take place and have an organization to it)

-Contact special guests (I just cold emailed Mari and was able to contact her for MWcon 2007, Also got Tommy Yune to come as well as a guest)

-Bring Macross display items for con (brought a LOT of my personal collection just so we could have stuff to show off at the con, so does xstoys and others)

-Set up day of the con and clean up (work with host site to figure out logistics of the day of the event)

Last year was just pretty exhausting since some of the locals that I usually count on to attend couldn't make it last year for 1 reason or another. I still had some good help offered the day of the con, but the planning of it was really just 3 people between myself, bigkid, and EXO, and bigkid was one of the people that couldn't even go to the con.

I feel like i could still lead the con, but in the end i think it'll fall back on me to be responsible for everything. There has to be a point person to make sure everything happens. We just need that 1 motivated person to keep everyone that is helping with the con to make sure they do their part.

Kirik, I'm relieving you from MW duty! It would be an honor to be the motivated MW lover to take on this MWCon, 10th anniversay.

Can you get us the same location for last year? I will make a few contacts and see if I can get S Kawamori and Yamato staff for this MWCon 10th anniversay.

If anyone has connections with anyone that can be a quest speaker for the con, shoot me a PM!!

Kirik, I'm relieving you from MW duty! It would be an honor to be the motivated MW lover to take on this MWCon, 10th anniversay.

Can you get us the same location for last year? I will make a few contacts and see if I can get S Kawamori and Yamato staff for this MWCon 10th anniversay.

If anyone has connections with anyone that can be a quest speaker for the con, shoot me a PM!!

Thanks for putting yourself out there, but how do you expect to get Kawamori and Yamato to come if you don't even have a location and date set? As I said, the main thing a coordinator's responsibility is to handle logistics and book a location and date for the con and you just asked me to do that again for this year. And do you have any event planning experience? haha, i guess i should have thought this through before asking anyone to step up to the plate.

Thanks for putting yourself out there, but how do you expect to get Kawamori and Yamato to come if you don't even have a location and date set? As I said, the main thing a coordinator's responsibility is to handle logistics and book a location and date for the con and you just asked me to do that again for this year. And do you have any event planning experience? haha, i guess i should have thought this through before asking anyone to step up to the plate.

I say let AgentGHQ take care of the con, on the off chance we get to attend it at Fantasy Island or maybe the SDF-1.

Franks and beans!

Franks and beans!

Thanks for putting yourself out there, but how do you expect to get Kawamori and Yamato to come if you don't even have a location and date set?
The location depends on what is more convenient for our guest and MWers. As for Kawamori and Yamato to come to the MWcon 10th anniversary, well just leave that up to me. However, if I can arrange something with Grahm this will be golden!

As I said, the main thing a coordinator's responsibility is to handle logistics and book a location and date for the con and you just asked me to do that again for this year.
Those are common sense stuff. If one is creative and comes up with something fun and exciting, then its all gravy. But I asked for the location because it was the last spot and you have connections.

And do you have any event planning experience? haha, i guess i should have thought this through before asking anyone to step up to the plate.
Its like like planning a b-day party. Trust me, I got this.

Kawamori: Is this great convention for World of Macross...

GHQ: Yes, come in!!! Come in!!!

Puts cone hat on Hory froating head and hands him paper horn...

GHQ: Seriously, how does the pilot fit in the tiny valkyrie heads?

Out comes Barney the dinosaur with an SDF-1 birthday cake... trips and smashes it...

Kawamori: Gojira!!!! (runs out!)

Mari: hello I am here for the Macross Con?

GHQ: Hello Mari-san... that is your name right?

Mari: It's just the 2 of us?

GHQ: Sit down make yourself comfortable, let me light the candles...

Mari: Those are birthday candles...

GHQ: Why don't you sing a verse of To Be Inlove, you know... to set the mood.

Mari: That's not me... I don't... I didn't sing that...

GHQ: ...

Mari: ...

GHQ: Would you like to see my birthday suit?

Yamato guys: Hi! We're from Yamato toys Japan!

GHQ: Great! you made it!

Yamato guys: Yes... and here is our receipt for room and board.

GHQ: Well... you see.. actually I found out it was cheaper to invite the Toynami guys so I ordered them instead.

Yamato guys: What? But we're here... and you didn't tell us about inviting these guys instead, you can't do that!

GHQ:...

Yamato guys: What's with the birthday balloons?

GHQ:...

GHQ: SURPRISE!!!