*a-HEM!*

Do you have me on ignore or something? This is like the second time I've mentioned Areaseven, and then you've come in and said, "How come no one's mentioned 'The Story of Ricky' yet?" :p

:lol:

I think alot of people just skip posts or just write a reply without reading lol, I find a few of my posts get ignored. :p

on topic tho, anyone seen the movie Ninja with scott atktins, not to bad,I think it was abit better then Ninja assassin,due to the actual skills of actual martial artists in the film.

No love for Shaw Brothers?

Five Element Ninjas

One-Armed Series

Tons of love for Shaw Brothers here! My favorite stuff is cheezy `70s and `80s Hong Kong stuff. Great thread, theres so much stuff..um..most recently I guess I`ve been rewatching the Winners and Sinners series. Funny characters, great shots of Hong Kong in the `80s and great action from Sammo and Jackie. These were some of my favorite movies when I was growing up.

Also a big fan of stuff like Fantasy Mission Force, Eastern Condors, Police Story series, anything with Samo, Jackie, and Yuen Biao. And when Richard Norton turns up things get mad cheezy.!! B))

this a great thread, good addition to Internet Nerd HQ AKA `Macross World.`

Edited by Lott Sheen

Vepariga/Lott Sheen:

Good to hear. =)

I've had many obsessions in my life, two of them being Macross and Hong Kong film (mostly old school stuff: shaws, early Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, Golden Harvest, old school John Woo/CYF, etc. etc. etc)...

Sigh... the good ol' age of HK cinema is dead though. Miss those old "lucky stars" films. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

This Tony Jaa/Chocolate/etc stuff is impressive, but that certain magic that carried the 70's/80's flicks no longer exists...

36th Chamber is classic. Fantasy Mission Force is cinema at its finest. No match for the Bruce Li stuff tho...

I'd like to mention The Street Fighter with Sonny Chiba (no not the one with Van Damme and Gomez Adams). I've only seen the US dub, but i still love the movie. Sonny Chiba is so badass and cool in this movie, he does some truly mean and ruthless things and he's the hero! Maybe I'm not used to such an antihero in a martial arts movie, but this movie certainly has an exploitation movie feel to it.

Did anyone know that prior to Bruce Lee's death, they were planning a Chiba vs Lee movie. That would have been epic. The greatest Japanese Karate star versus the greatest Hong Kong Kung Fu star would've surpassed all other great teamups.(Lee vs Norris, Chan vs Li, Hung vs Yen etc.)

Did anyone know that prior to Bruce Lee's death, they were planning a Chiba vs Lee movie. That would have been epic. The greatest Japanese Karate star versus the greatest Hong Kong Kung Fu star would've surpassed all other great teamups.(Lee vs Norris, Chan vs Li, Hung vs Yen etc.)

Seriously? That would have been so cool.

Brotherhood of the Wolf - A bit unusual for a Kung-Fu movie but it makes my top 'Fighting Movies' list.

I absolutely love that movie, and the fight scenes were indeed very very cool. The early fight in the rain is quite well done. Few films have made the 18th century seem so fabulously cool.

I absolutely love that movie, and the fight scenes were indeed very very cool. The early fight in the rain is quite well done. Few films have made the 18th century seem so fabulously cool.

yeah I wanted that overcoat and hat. has the 'badass' vibe.

I've seen some of the Taiga Dramas from NHK.

Nobunaga: King of Zipangu - Saw it in the US at Channel 26 in the Bay Area / CA. Loved it and the many facets of the man, and out of all the Daimyo in the Sengoku Jidai, he interested me the most.

Yoshitsune - Saw it while temporarily in Japan. Since it was on TV, I had to watch it with no subtitles. *sigh*

Other Samurai flicks I've seen.

Ran - A given.

Kagemusha - Another given.

Samurai Banners - Caught this on DVD a few years ago.

Saw this cool movie from the 70's called Duel to the Death about a duel between the best swordsmen from china and Japan. Since it was a hong kong production, the Japanese are the bad guys (not the Japanese duelist though) but the main Japanese Duelist is awesome. Lots of crazy ninja action and a really good fight at the end.

Saw this cool movie from the 70's called Duel to the Death about a duel between the best swordsmen from china and Japan. Since it was a hong kong production, the Japanese are the bad guys (not the Japanese duelist though) but the main Japanese Duelist is awesome. Lots of crazy ninja action and a really good fight at the end.

I own that one,classic film, the end duel is quite good,also a good lesson why not to grab the blade :p

So after wanting to see it for years, i finally watched Ballistic Kiss, one of only 2 films directed by Donnie Yen (the other being Legend of the Wolf) and i have to say i was very disappointed. The fight scenes were made up of too many closeups and quick shots and this movie took the standard action movie trope of infinite ammo to an absurd degree. The story was okay, but otherwise this movie is better left unseen.

Since i watched Ballistic Kiss, i also went back and watched Legend of the Wolf. There was a huge difference in quality, while BK was disappointing, LotW was very enjoyable. I think it may be because Donnie was trying to make BK as a John Woo style heroic bloodshed shoot-em-up movie while LotW was just a kung fu movie. Obviously (based on his recent work doing action directing) Donnie is suited to kung fu fight choreography and directing.

• 5 weeks later...

Grew up watching these movies, my uncle would always rent these and watch them with me and my cousins. I'm not sure if this movie fits, but I was very impressed with Red Cliff.

Also Drunken Master and Drunken Master 2 are classics all fans of the genre should see.

Fist of Legend's gotta be up there. Iron Monkey, The Prodigal Son, Tai Chi (NOT to be confused with Tai Chi Master), Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind, Five Fingers of Death, Five Deadly Venoms....lord, I could go on and on. Jet Li, Donnie Yen, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao, Sonny Chiba all seemed like my brothers growing up, I watched them so much. Jackie Chan had some good movies too.....more his earlier films, though. Snake in Eagle's Shadow and such. Tell you what, though....his battles with Benny "The Jet" in Dragons Forever and Meals on Wheels were unbelievable. If you haven't seen them.....

and

• 1 month later...

So i just saw the two Red Cliff movies, and all i can say is the great John Woo is back. After nearly 2 decade of making crap in America John Woo finally goes back east to make great movies.

This movie is awesome for those who are either fans of Woo or fans of historical epics. Great battle scenes, great cinematography, great music, and great acting. Tony Leung once again gives a powerhouse performance. I especially liked the emphasis on strategy and battle tactics that Leung's army used to defeat a much larger force. The only way this movie could've been better is if Donnie Yen was in it.

I'm really hoping John Woo has given up on Hollywood and makes movies exclusively in China and Hong Kong.

I also recently saw a Jet Li historical movie called Warlords. I liked it, it put more emphasis on the politics in the imperial chinese military.

I don't know if it is just me or does it seem that a lot of big budget chinese historical epics are being made recently?

So i just saw the two Red Cliff movies, and all i can say is the great John Woo is back. After nearly 2 decade of making crap in America John Woo finally goes back east to make great movies.

This movie is awesome for those who are either fans of Woo or fans of historical epics. Great battle scenes, great cinematography, great music, and great acting. Tony Leung once again gives a powerhouse performance. I especially liked the emphasis on strategy and battle tactics that Leung's army used to defeat a much larger force. The only way this movie could've been better is if Donnie Yen was in it.

I'm really hoping John Woo has given up on Hollywood and makes movies exclusively in China and Hong Kong.

I also recently saw a Jet Li historical movie called Warlords. I liked it, it put more emphasis on the politics in the imperial chinese military.

I don't know if it is just me or does it seem that a lot of big budget chinese historical epics are being made recently?

There has been a few large scale epics made recently yes, I think in the light of 'Red Cliff' the calling has been high so they deliver,other ones in recent times like 'The Empress and the warriors'(which donnie yen is in..and owns) and 'Three Kingdoms: Ressurection of the Dragon' are also quite good.

I liked 'Warlords' aswell,good drama on a grand scale.

but imo, Red Cliff is THE best chinese epic ive seen,just the scope,the cast,music and cinematography are all top notch.

Ive lately gotten Etsuko Shihomi's 'Sister StreetFighter Collection' Excellent old school films,the print is really good too.

Edited by Vepariga

• 2 weeks later...

You guys have to see this:

Donnie Yen is making a sequel to the Bruce Lee classic 'Fist of Fury' aka 'The Chinese Connection' and Jet Li's 'Fist of Legend'

Looks like it will feature some WWII battle scenes and *Drum Roll* Donnie in the Kato outfit. I'm super excited cause he will be doing the action choreography as well.

In other related news a remake of 'One Armed Swordsman' is in the works starring Donnie too. I recently watched Tsui Hark's version made in the 90's and man was it bad, hopefully this new one will be good.

The rest of this year and the next will be good for Kung Fu action.

If anyone is looking for a good vintage film, may I suggest 'Lady Snowblood'. I recently dug this up from my collection after not seeing it for years and I was reminded how awesome it is. A really cool revenge flick with a pretty good story to boot. If you are a fan of the Kill Bill movies, you need to see this, basically the complete inspiration for Lucy Lu's character and subplot.

I really have to check out 'Lone Wolf and Cub' i understand that it is written by the same guy as 'Lady Snowblood'

Shaw Bros 4 LIFE! Anything with the Deadly Venom Mob: 5 Deadly Venoms, Kid With the Golden Arm, Killer Army, ETC, ETC. White Lotus Trilogy featuring the evil priest Pai May and the One Armed Swordman's movies.

Gordon Lui (Return to the 36th Chamber) played Pai May in KIll Bill Vol. 2.

yeah RDClip definitely check out the Lone Wolf and Cub (babycart) films,they are excellent,there is evena TV series of Lone wolf aswell which is also great watching.

I just finished Marathoning my Etsuko Shihomi Sister Street Fighter movies,damn I love those ones,Shihomi rawks.

Donnie Yen's new film 'Legend of the Fist: the Return of Chen Zhen' does indeed look bitchin cant wait till that releases,Im in the process of getting new korean flick called Jeon woo Chi The Taoist Wizard,looks pretty fun.

Michelle Yeoh is in a new film coming called 'Reign of Assassins' which looks pretty nice aswell so i got my eye on that one too.

and if your in aussie,SBS is showing 'Come Drink With Me' tonight at 10:30,oohh yeah!

Revenge of the Ninja is the greatest martial arts movie ever made.

Seconded.

Just saw "The Forbidden Kingdom" last night, and although it is a US (or western) movie, I liked it a lot. I'm pretty sure I mentioned that "Kung Fu Hustle" is one of the funiest movies I've ever seen - but it is worth mentioning again.

• 2 months later...

So, last night i saw Legend of the Fist: the Return of Chen Zhen Donnie Yen's newest movie. It was really good. Directed by Andrew Lau, the same guy who made Infernal Affairs (the basis for The Departed) so the cinematography is really nice. Donnie Yen choreographed and directed the action scenes and it seems to me with every movie he does his action scenes get better and better.

This movie is a sequel to Fist of Fury, the Bruce Lee classic, and also Donnie's remake tv show of it made in the early 90's. Unfortunately the the movie seems to bear little resemblance to the original story. If i were to describe this movie it would be a period superhero movie (like the Phantom or the Shadow) mixed with chinese patriotism. Basically the story is Chen Zhen returns to China after fleeing to europe during WWI after the events in Fist of Fury. Chen is part of a freedom fighter organization opposing Japanese invasion. He eventually dons the iconic Kato outfit to become a masked hero.

Now the story may sound kind of goofy, but it really is a good, fun movie. Lots of graphic violence and blood and great fight scenes. I like that Yen doesn't try to imitate Lee's character. That's probably why i liked Jet Li's remake Fist of Legend so much too. Li and Yen weren't trying to be Lee, they were making the character their own.

Speaking of Bruce Lee, i recently found the full 36 min fight scenes in the pagoda from Game of Death. If you remember the original cut (hack job) of Game of Death only spliced in 11 min of Bruce's filmed fights. Looks like this footage is almost the complete final act of the film.