Character Art Appreciation Thread III

Vepariga

Nobody gets to die with any dignity in Gundam, do they?

No.

Dignified deaths [if any death can be called dignified] do not occur in or as a result of combat.

I've always applauded Gundam [the U.C. timeline anyway, haven't watched much else] for attempting to balance out the "Cool Mecha/laser-fight" with "Mecha/laser-fight = people dying."

That one scene is comically over the top though. They had the precision and took the time to shoot the head and all the limbs off, and then once the suit was completely disabled, went for a cockpit kill shot anyways because murder lulz. it's like a Cat mutilating a bird it just caught before it kills it.

Edited by anime52k8

That one scene is comically over the top though. They had the precision and took the time to shoot the head and all the limbs off, and then once the suit was completely disabled, went for a cockpit kill shot anyways because murder lulz. it's like a Cat mutilating a bird it just caught before it kills it.

Granted.

But the Weapon System in question are Funnels*... you think "Destroy that target" and they go do it, mercilessly.

also, there's a specific clip of the Vajra continually hammering a damaged VF-171 [in N.U.N.S. CF scheme] in Macross Frontier I could cite that gives the exact same vibe.

as far as a killshot after the MS was disabled... I'd rather be shot than left to asphyxiate slowly when my Nomral-suit runs out of O2... and in the .gif above, there IS no cockpit killshot, just alot of shots post total amputation, then it explodes.

*[ESP Controlled Semi-Autonomous Laser Cannon Swarm]

Edited by slide

also, there's a specific clip of the Vajra continually hammering a damaged VF-171 [in N.U.N.S. CF scheme] in Macross Frontier I could cite that gives the exact same vibe.

Episode 1 was not a good place to be in a 171.

Meanwhile, found on Pixiv, it would be cute to see them dancing normally.

jPFqjCH.jpg

Edited by This Confuses Gamlin

That's more just the artists having a bit of fun IMO. With the way the shots are spread out, it seems more like they aren't really that precise - more like a bunch of vultures or wolves fighting over a piece of prey, then a single, malicious entity.

as far as a killshot after the MS was disabled... I'd rather be shot than left to asphyxiate slowly when my Nomral-suit runs out of O2... and in the .gif above, there IS no cockpit killshot, just alot of shots post total amputation, then it explodes.

I just reviewed it, and there's definitely a laser striking the red panel I believe to be the cockpit door and scything up across it.

as far as a killshot after the MS was disabled... I'd rather be shot than left to asphyxiate slowly when my Nomral-suit runs out of O2...

that's another thing, MS designers have zero regard for pilot survivability. at least in macross they give the grunts ejection seats.

that's another thing, MS designers have zero regard for pilot survivability. at least in macross they give the grunts ejection seats.

In fairness, they DO put pilots in the most heavily-armored part of the machine instead of sitting with their face against a glass bubble.

well, Zaku's put the Pilot off-center at least... some Zeon/Neo-Zeon suits place the Pilot in the head or neck... but then there's not a lot to be done against weaponry of the magnitude they carry. Beam sabers laugh at "armour"

In fairness, they DO put pilots in the most heavily-armored part of the machine instead of sitting with their face against a glass bubble.

One would think the Thermonuclear reactor/Minnovski Generator you're sitting on/beside/in front of would be the most heavily armoured part... and MS's go Fissile like nobody's business... in an MS V MS fight, a suit is just as killable as a human in a fistfight. and as covered in Thunderbolt: space cares not how much armour you have, space debris will kill you as sure as a missile... might as well SEE it coming...

being a smaller/more mobile target is your only defense in such a combat environment. That how Char survives so well... his suits are all 3X as fast as his wingmen! lol

and putting the Pilot in the chest is doubly not smart, because there is a 0.00% chance to see ANYTHING if your cameras are damaged, and in the suits I'm familiar with, most of the [suit-mounted] cameras/sensors are in the head.

... what is it about the VF-17 and VF-171 that they always come off as makeshift... even in Macross7 when Gamlin's squad transferred up to the VF-19F/S nobody took over flying their VF-17s, they just got stuffed in a hangar or recycled to build more VF-11C's lol

but we're Digressing from the Original topic. I think we can all agree that when you mix Lasers/Missiles/Cannons and Nuclear-powered weapons platforms somebody's gonna get hurt, real bad.

... what is it about the VF-17 and VF-171 that they always come off as makeshift... even in Macross7 when Gamlin's squad transferred up to the VF-19F/S nobody took over flying their VF-17s, they just got stuffed in a hangar or recycled to build more VF-11C's lol

but we're Digressing from the Original topic. I think we can all agree that when you mix Lasers/Missiles/Cannons and Nuclear-powered weapons platforms somebody's gonna get hurt, real bad.

VF-171 was a pared down variation to be more multipurpose so that in general just makes it less 'super.'

The 17 was actually pretty good and only died rarely (poor Physica...). Diamond Force never transferred out of them in the show though. They flew them to the end. Gamlin is flying a VF-22 in Dynamite 7 though, suggesting an upgrade coinciding with Max and Millia's custom order 22s. The VF-19s in Macross 7 though were Emerald Force, a second ace unit that was pretty much introduced just to be a rival to Diamond Force and add drama (cause they tended to be jerks)... but realistically because having another squad with specialized VFs fighting the Varuta and Protodevlin was smart.

Also....can someone tell me which Japanese Macross event this image of Minmay comes from? I'm looking for a clean high-res image or the name of the event it came from to search for it on YJA.....thanks in advance...

Fixed the perspective and used some filters. Still not very good, but it is better.

V. High noise reduction:

http://imgur.com/jEds9Kc

Medium noise reduction:

http://imgur.com/m7xsoAM

Edited by akt_m

The VF-19s in Macross 7 though were Emerald Force, a second ace unit that was pretty much introduced just to be a rival to Diamond Force and add drama (cause they tended to be jerks)... but realistically because having another squad with specialized VFs fighting the Varuta and Protodevlin was smart.

right, I forgot they were separate squads...

I assume it is a rough sketch of a design, just because chibi-Mirage doesn't have cleavage.

I choose to believe it's an adorable little rabbit.

I actually thought she was holding mitten-hands up at first, but no, I don't see arms connecting to what I thought were mittens.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any Mirage fan will likely want to see Silas Zee (Shibamura Prime)'s latest work:

http://www.silaszee.com/bunnymirage.html

:D

She looks almost as embarrassed as I would be in that get-up! :p:lol: