Character Art Appreciation Thread III

Vepariga

The SDP-1 Stampede Valkyrie and VF-3/VF-X3 Star Crusader are interesting variations on the valkyire concept. They do look good, more armored and heavily armed than a standard valkyrie. But they both feel like Gundam-ized versions of a Valkyrie, even more so than the Armored valkyries. I think the color schemes do a lot to present them as mobile suit variable fighters. Not implying that being Gundam-like is inherently bad, but IMO they feel a little less imaginative and less Macross than the other valkyries.

Stampede doesn't even JUST feel like a Gundamized Valk. It's one of the superweapon Gundams with artillery bristling from every rivet.

You could drop it into SEED or Wing and it would only look out of place because when it transforms it looks like SOMETHING, and not just a random assortment of robot kibble.

Stampede doesn't even JUST feel like a Gundamized Valk. It's one of the superweapon Gundams with artillery bristling from every rivet.

You could drop it into SEED or Wing and it would only look out of place because when it transforms it looks like SOMETHING, and not just a random assortment of robot kibble.

Yeah, the over-the-top look of the mecha reminds me of the more extreme Armored Valkyries (like the VF-11 Protect Armor) and of course, like Gundams. The two mecha evoke in my imagination what Gundam would be if Kawamori directed it, lol.

I'm currently at work on a complete revision of the VF-3000 Crusader, but I've got the SDP-1 Stampede started and now talking so much about it, I want to get back to work on the Stampede again :)

• 4 weeks later...

I tried, but the forum photo setting are being stupid. I got an image below 200 kb in size, and it's telling me the gif is still too big.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

tumblr_npxkixAssK1sep3ypo1_1280.jpg

not sure where it came from but I like it. :D

They are from a Japanese illustrator that goes by the name "Romancer"....aka Tachibana Kazuto........good stuff!

Here are more samples of his doujins (posted in the MW books thread a year ago? Time sure flies! The MW facebook page really needs to catch up! :p )

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=29133&p=1067548

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=29133&p=1133360

gallery_12176_640_153712.jpg

gallery_12176_640_51556.jpg